Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Water John wrote: »
    I have not used oral drench in a good while. Would the hook gun be an option? Better than getting up close and personal, which I have done also when younger.

I use the hook gun with the cows, don't think it would suit weanlings at all but have never tried it.
    They're just too...active...perhaps is the word, in the crush. Cows can't twist or turn etc.
    I just got in, arse/hip to square them in by backing them to top or bottom of crush, hand in gob to open mouth & drench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I use the hook gun with the cows, don't think it would suit weanlings at all but have never tried it.
    They're just too...active...perhaps is the word, in the crush. Cows can't twist or turn etc.
    I just got in, arse/hip to square them in by backing them to top or bottom of crush, hand in gob to open mouth & drench.

You get in the crush?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They'd have to be packed in. A big bullock or cow pushing from the back.

A different trick which a Dept vet showed me was, when you want to leave some animals out of a crush and hold the rest, simply place the cover of a mineral bucket in front of their face and they won't move forward, cannot see the animal in front of them exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Water John wrote: »
    They'd have to be packed in. A big bullock or cow pushing from the back.

A different trick which a Dept vet showed me was, when you want to leave some animals out of a crush and hold the rest, simply place the cover of a mineral bucket in front of their face and they won't move forward, cannot see the animal in front of them exiting.

I think I know the man you're on about. He did a herd test here 20 yrs ago. Animals not packed but would put the head between the ass of the animal in front and the wall. Hard to clip the neck or inject. Get a bucket lid and hold it in front of them and theyd stop their antics. Works a treat in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭148multi

Dosed them here with a hook drencher, load a cow first in the crush, apprentice keep's her backed up. A few muzzled for efficiency ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Jb1989

148multi wrote: »
    Dosed them here with a hook drencher, load a cow first in the crush, apprentice keep's her backed up. A few muzzled for efficiency ðŸ˜

Anti backing bar and head scoop, no help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I hop in with the calves as well, they were around the 200kg mark avg, use a 60ml syringe and someone outside filling it. Steelcap wellies. Bit like hurling if you hold back more likely to get caught. Heifers I'd catch individually in the head gate or use hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Looks like drench so. Worst thing is I've only the 4 calves ( they were a lockdowm project for the kids) so it'll be an expensive treatment as smallest quantities cover 20 plus similar animals from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Looks like drench so. Worst thing is I've only the 4 calves ( they were a lockdowm project for the kids) so it'll be an expensive treatment as smallest quantities cover 20 plus animals from what I can see.

Your vet might give you enough to do the four of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Looks like drench so. Worst thing is I've only the 4 calves ( they were a lockdowm project for the kids) so it'll be an expensive treatment as smallest quantities cover 20 plus similar animals from what I can see.

And they'll need to be done again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Vets have open supplies all the time and give out small numbers of doses. I’ve gotten small amounts for the chickens when I’ve nothing to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Center parcs just announced its closing for a month. Supposed to head there this weekend. Gonna have to break the news to the little ones after school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was there last week. Wasn't busy. Worst things about it since it reopened:
    1. Ya gotta pre book everything. No popping into a restaurant or the Sports complex or Pancake place on a whim (banjaxed if yer caught in a shower)
    2. Only 2 sessions in the pool for the 4 days there - max 2 hours per session. The pool is the only activity that comes as part of the price ya pay to stay there
    3. Charging 10c per restaurant booking whereas before it was free or ya could just turn up. Think it's money for charity though
    4. Can't arrive early and leave late the last night like before. Ya lose out on some time that way to fit more stuff in

Overall the place is very tidy and the staff were constantly cleaning in the restaurants and changing rooms. Masks have to be on going in everywhere, and they make you sanitize your hands entering everywhere too.

Having said that, home since Friday and my young lad has a cold picked up from it there since Sunday. It's the only place he's been since before Christmas when he was there last. Was sick after that time too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Was there last week. Wasn't busy. Worst things about it since it reopened:
    1. Ya gotta pre book everything. No popping into a restaurant or the Sports complex or Pancake place on a whim (banjaxed if yer caught in a shower)
    2. Only 2 sessions in the pool for the 4 days there - max 2 hours per session. The pool is the only activity that comes as part of the price ya pay to stay there
    3. Charging 10c per restaurant booking whereas before it was free or ya could just turn up. Think it's money for charity though
    4. Can't arrive early and leave late the last night like before. Ya lose out on some time that way to fit more stuff in

Overall the place is very tidy and the staff were constantly cleaning in the restaurants and changing rooms. Masks have to be on going in everywhere, and they make you sanitize your hands entering everywhere too.

Having said that, home since Friday and my young lad has a cold picked up from it there since Sunday. It's the only place he's been since before Christmas when he was there last. Was sick after that time too :pac:

You could only get 2 sessions in the pool, or ye chose to only have 2 sessions?

When we were in Centreparcs before, the biggest thing for the kids, like the most popular thing was to go to the pools every morning for a few hours...

You could only get 2 sessions in the pool, or ye chose to only have 2 sessions?

When we were in Centreparcs before, the biggest thing for the kids, like the most popular thing was to go to the pools every morning for a few hours...

Same here. Pool is the big thing really. You are only allowed 2 sessions for the duration of your stay. You can't book anymore than that. And each session is max 2 hours long.

Your holiday there now has to be very structured and planned out.

Same here. Pool is the big thing really. You are only allowed 2 sessions for the duration of your stay. You can't book anymore than that. And each session is max 2 hours long.

Your holiday there now has to be very structured and planned out.

Our stay in Centreparcs revolved around going to the pool... Only 2 sessions over the 4/5 days, I dont know if we would be as interested...

What did you think?

Was it worth it do you think - with only the 2 sessions in the pool?

Our stay in Centreparcs revolved around going to the pool... Only 2 sessions over the 4/5 days, I dont know if we would be as interested...

What did you think?

We had it booked since before Christmas. We could have cancelled for free. I was tempted.

2 hours is probably enough in there. My lad is just gone 2 so it was plenty for him. He would have liked to have gone everyday though so the 2 session limit is a turn off. As is the whole pre-planning/booking everything. It's not so much a holiday or break then as it's set timetable yer following really.

However, I would recommend going if your thinking of it. If nothing else it's a change of scenery and the kids will still have a great time, just not for as long in the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What did you think?

Hopefully heading next month (hopefully reopens)
    Are activities expensive, was thinking of kayaking, mini golf & cycling

If anyone is interested in winterage on the Burren.
    https://twitter.com/farmfornature/status/1313443464076570624?s=19

Hopefully heading next month (hopefully reopens)
    Are activities expensive, was thinking of kayaking, mini golf & cycling

Not sure about the kayaking. Mini golf is €8 per person (slightly less if <12). I think cycling is €35 for the rent of a bike for the week. All the prices are on their website. When you book your stay then ya can book all the activities too.

• Advertisement

We had it booked since before Christmas. We could have cancelled for free. I was tempted.

2 hours is probably enough in there. My lad is just gone 2 so it was plenty for him. He would have liked to have gone everyday though so the 2 session limit is a turn off. As is the whole pre-planning/booking everything. It's not so much a holiday or break then as it's set timetable yer following really.

However, I would recommend going if your thinking of it. If nothing else it's a change of scenery and the kids will still have a great time, just not for as long in the pool

I dont see us going til next year maybe...

I know what you mean about the planing...
    We were in a hotel for a bit there a while back - and like that, we had to book in advance - a time for the pool, a time for breakfast, a time for dinner...
    I wont say it wasnt a nice break - bit it did lose a bit of the carefree feeling, when everything was structured...

But, like you say - its a change of scene...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

That gibbons lad is some piece of work. Absolute hatred towards farming. What the fck does he eat ??

Oops wrong thread. Was an interview on newstalk about the EPA report on water quality.

NcdJd wrote: »
    That gibbons lad is some piece of work. Absolute hatred towards farming. What the fck does he eat ??

Oops wrong thread. Was an interview on newstalk about the EPA report on water quality.

Any of them mention the sewage leaking into the river down in Cork which Irish water say is too expensive to fix?

Until everyone is on the same field, these kind of muppets shouldn't be allowed talk. Or at least be challenged on it. How many hoops do farmers have to jump through? How many rules and regulations are there? How much have farmers spent to comply? How much have households spent on septic tanks, new builds with crazy expensive systems? Yet the national water body couldn't be arsed fixing a known issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I had Newstalk on for a change and heard him. It’s fairly childish stuff he’s saying, talking about the dairy industry being “deregulated” in 2015.

Darragh Mc wasn’t much better to be honest.

Very little from either apart from the standard “you’re bad” vs “no we’re not”.

They’re like pantomime characters. I thought the discussions were more mature than this.

No mention of anything outside agriculture such as cities and town’s waste water treatment, and no mention of processors, retailers, consumers choice, political leadership, etc. when it came to food.

All down to us dirty oul farmers poisoning the land and rivers. Jesus, if only it was that easy to solve!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Out for the last supper

I had the misfortune of engaging with him on Twitter last week. The conversation moved along without him and he tried coming back in with a smart comment while totally lost about what we were talking about.

One lad I was talking to later said it was like a lad trying to be a wit but he'll never get more than halfway there:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I'm sorry lads for posting that in the chit chat tread. Times are stressful enough. My eyes just popped out of their sockets when I clicked on whelan's photo. I drink Carslberg but I'd eat the pint glass and all if that was put in front of me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm sorry lads for posting that in the chit chat tread. Times are stressful enough. My eyes just popped out of their sockets when I clicked on whelan's photo. I drink Carslberg but I'd eat the pint glass and all if that was put in front of me right now.

I'm being very good and having pints for people who would like them, I'm good like that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'm being very good and having pints for people who would like them, I'm good like that

Course ya are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I had Newstalk on for a change and heard him. It’s fairly childish stuff he’s saying, talking about the dairy industry being “deregulated” in 2015.

Darragh Mc wasn’t much better to be honest.

Very little from either apart from the standard “you’re bad” vs “no we’re not”.

They’re like pantomime characters. I thought the discussions were more mature than this.

No mention of anything outside agriculture such as cities and town’s waste water treatment, and no mention of processors, retailers, consumers choice, political leadership, etc. when it came to food.

All down to us dirty oul farmers poisoning the land and rivers. Jesus, if only it was that easy to solve!

Darragh seems to have a chip on his shoulder with awhile now. Why he rented his land to a dairy man is really puzzling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement