Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ah no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Boll*cks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone have an estimate for silage quality testing and/or do home silage testing?

Testing DM seems to be straightforward enough:
    https://cropwatch.unl.edu/using-microwave-oven-test-moisture-content-forage-unl-cropwatch-aug-9-2012

Not sure about Crude Protein and/or what else is essential.

With the dark nights setting in I'm just surfing about and was wondering if we could do some home testing on the silage bales to see what the DM% is and maybe adjust the ration accordingly. Had a few young bulls last year that didn't do as well as I expected. They were good enough shapes of animals - just didn't grow enough. TBF though one was out of a heifer.
    Usually just push a bale up in front of them and some ration once per day.

Thinking of including some straw into the diet too for a bit of roughage. Does anyone else do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Normally not a soccer fan but hoped that'd win the penalties

Twould be good for us all as a nation to get behind them what with covid n all

Good to see them passing it around....work in progress

I was fixing a ballvalve this morning and somehow managed to catch my little finger under the lid of the bridge of the concrete drinker when putting it back down, still stinging an hour later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was fixing a ballvalve this morning and somehow managed to catch my little finger under the lid of the bridge of the concrete drinker when putting it back down, still stinging an hour later

Cold out which always makes nipping a finger even worse 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Why do people post about their pets as their children?

I see lots of posts putting words such as Mom or Dad by them imagining their pets referring to them as such.

It's one step away from calling your dog or cat, my son or daughter on social media.

And it will happen...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Why do people post about their pets as their children?

I see lots of posts putting words such as Mom or Dad by them imagining their pets referring to them as such.

It's one step away from calling your dog or cat, my son or daughter on social media.

And it will happen...:pac:

Every animal is humanised now I don’t see the point in it but people are odd about all sorts of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Milking finished. It's been a hectic week on the home front, so I'm off for a spot of gallivanting :)(in a socially distant way). Have a good day lads.

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Milking finished. It's been a hectic week on the home front, so I'm off for a spot of gallivanting :)(in a socially distant way). Have a good day lads.

Are you going on another date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Congratulations to your parents today, Whelan:)

Today is 10:10:20 day.

Congratulations to your parents today, Whelan:)

Today is 10:10:20 day.

Thanks. It's a bit sad they can't have a party etc, they can't even go to mass. Getting them a takeaway this evening and will have it on their patio. My sister and brother cant come to visit them as they live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

:)

All going great on that front. Hope I’m not derailing this thread with my love life. Don’t think the etiquette thread would be as supportive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

:)

All going great on that front. Hope I’m not derailing this thread with my love life. Don’t think the etiquette thread would be as supportive :D

We insist on detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    We insist on detail.

How much detail.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    We insist on detail.

How much detail.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any idea when BPS will appear?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

blue5000 wrote: »
    Any idea when BPS will appear?

Starting friday. Badly needed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

We are all eagerly awaiting details of the next date, it being the third one ;);););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Nice guy all round.....definitely will be missed by all in the limousin society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jjameson wrote: »

So they’re going to talk more about it.
    I’d say RTE are pissing laughing about whatever letter they received. It’s all just been more and more clickbait advertising for RTE. They don’t give a **** about fair representation of farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Nice guy all round.....definitely will be missed by all in the limousin society.

He sure will be missed.
    I didn't know the Cavelands herd is his. Does he breed Charolais cattle also?

straight wrote: »
    Starting friday. Badly needed again.

Hopefully milk cheque and bps be in next weekend. Things will look good for a day or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Long time no post- have been up the walls with no slow down. Not even getting a chance to read boards. School never been as busy. Hoping that we well be allowed stay open. It will be no good for students staying at home.

Got a lad to powerwash the sheds- normally do it myself with a rented washer but couldn’t be bothered.

Long time no post- have been up the walls with no slow down. Not even getting a chance to read boards. School never been as busy. Hoping that we well be allowed stay open. It will be no good for students staying at home.

Got a lad to powerwash the sheds- normally do it myself with a rented washer but couldn’t be bothered.

Heard talk of schools closing a week before and a week after midterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Heard talk of schools closing a week before and a week after midterm.

If it happens, it will be a pure disaster. I reckon twas part of the plan not to go straight to level 5 although we should be open as essential services according to the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If it happens, it will be a pure disaster. I reckon twas part of the plan not to go straight to level 5 although we should be open as essential services according to the plan.

Heard that rumour as well.

They'll avoid level 5 as much as possible.

Level 5, back to lockdown will cost and destroy a lot of lives. It's not without a savage cost.

• Advertisement

If the schools close the kids will be hanging around together . As it is they are kind of in pods. They need to stay open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement