Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I sent mine in June and all I got was sire verification so far.
    Same

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

This year 100% stock bull. The 3 that are not in calf had issues.

1 lost a quarter to mastitis this year and she calved late also.

1 had twins in June and held onto her cleaning, had to her vet to clean her out.

1 is a first time calver and calved in July. She might not be showing yet.

The rest have gained a few weeks. Last year in the heat, some lost months.

I had to coil a few last year and the year before and AIed exactly but the heifer calves came from the bull and the bull calves held from AI bulls.

Cheers for that, do you find the bull saves a lot of Labour compared to A.I? Will your cows also be calving earlier to bull (with no missed heats) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

I sent mine in June and all I got was sire verification so far.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

josephsoap wrote: »
    Cheers for that, do you find the bull saves a lot of Labour compared to A.I? Will your cows also be calving earlier to bull (with no missed heats) ?

I have no option but to have a bull. Four days a week, my OH world and I’ve about 30mins to do all farm work. No hope of catching anything in heat.

Depends on the cow fertility. Mine were slow getting cycling last year. I bloused everything this year and it improved. Could be different next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

C'mon Ireland, what a game

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    C'mon Ireland, what a game

Some heat and humidity I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I have no option but to have a bull. Four days a week, my OH world and I’ve about 30mins to do all farm work. No hope of catching anything in heat.

Depends on the cow fertility. Mine were slow getting cycling last year. I bloused everything this year and it improved. Could be different next year.

Same as myself, I'm considering cutting down on the sucklers are getting more into drystock.

josephsoap wrote: »
    Same as myself, I'm considering cutting down on the sucklers are getting more into drystock.

I’m tied up with 2 children third due November and full time job and oh part time opposite to my working hours.

Looking at options myself. Might keep couple of cows and bull. If I can get over the next 4/5 years things will slacken off a little hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I’m tied up with 2 children third due November and full time job and oh part time opposite to my working hours.

Looking at options myself. Might keep couple of cows and bull. If I can get over the next 4/5 years things will slacken off a little hopefully.

Can you set it for the 4 or 5 years, , would you make as much? Im caught for time too in a similar non farming scenario
    All I'm doing is sweating thinking about all the things I need to do, while I'm trying to do something else as equally important. My head is melted.

Can you set it for the 4 or 5 years, , would you make as much? Im caught for time too in a similar non farming scenario
    All I'm doing is sweating thinking about all the things I need to do, while I'm trying to do something else as equally important. My head is melted.

There are Only two people that rent land locally and they wreck the place and don’t repair after. One neighbour spent thousands on fencing to rent it out to one lad and all wire pulled down and half the creosote posts missing/broken. I’d be better off with minimum stocking rate than that. So plug along until things get easier.
    I’ve survived the last 6 years and situation was tougher then with father needing 24 hour care, first child on the way and learning how to run the farm along with work and family politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone got similar calving set-up?
    How big are the pens to use a jack?
    Would 1 big calving pen& smaller cow & calf pens be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You won't use a calving jack in those pens shown in the pic. That's for sure.
    You could put the head gate out a small bit from the wall and then open the gate out into the central passage way to give you room to use the jack.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You won't use a calving jack in those pens shown in the pic. That's for sure.
    You could put the head gate out a small bit from the wall and then open the gate out into the central passage way to give you room to use the jack.
    Was thinking that, looks a good set-up

Last of the disbudding done and cattle dosed. Missed local ladies final, was supposed to bring the 4yo. At the playground instead so she is happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yellow weather rainfall warning for Leinster from 4 till 9PM tonight.
    https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1175800792449765378?s=19
    Take care on the roads, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is Dermot Bannon getting a bit more eco friendly?

Last week they ripped up concrete all around a house and this week there's going to be a garden in front of the house.

It's like he understands about green spaces effects on the human brain, reducing water runoff in the suburban environment, having healthy soil microbes near you and producing more oxygen.

What are you at Dermot??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Are the knackeries still on strike? Have a cow here that dropped since last night. She'd have gone to the factory if it wasn't for the blockade. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

Are the knackeries still on strike? Have a cow here that dropped since last night. She'd have gone to the factory if it wasn't for the blockade. :rolleyes:

No back at work for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Today is Bruce Springsteen's 70th birthday!

https://twitter.com/RTEGold/status/1176061761889492993?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Sounds like prime beef!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Sounds like prime beef!

Yeah. Fine fit cull cow. Found her this morning. Not a mark on the ground so must have been sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Magnesium deficiency with the wet weather?
    Had it a few times and vet IV'ed a bottle of Calcijet and it was up again in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Youngest was on the lookout for a cheap car with a bit of boot space to put his fishing gear into but it had to be under 1200cc and 10 yo to suit insurance requirements. Cars in that category are expensive be it buying from a garage or privately. Anyway OH spotted a potential one on DD (private sale) a few days ago in Tipp that was nearly out of test. I phoned our insurance broker and gave them the reg number and they came back with a reasonable quote. We headed to Tipp, checked out the car and bought it that day. I brought it to the NCT test center this morning for testing and it passed :)
    Youngest is currently on a marine survey somewhere in the North Atlantic but is due back on home on Friday morning. I'm going to rock up to departures with it shined up to the last on Friday morning to collect him and the best part is he doesn't know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Pink Fiat Cinquecento?

Pink Fiat Cinquecento?
    Ah jaysus I'm not that bad. It's a 2010 Reanult Clio 1.1 estate and tbh it's a lovely drive. OH and I have clocked up over 800k since we got it.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Today is Bruce Springsteen's 70th birthday!

https://twitter.com/RTEGold/status/1176061761889492993?s=19
    I will always remember having "The River" on repeat on the turnstile during the snow storm in Jan 82 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Base price wrote: »
    Ah jaysus I'm not that bad. It's a 2010 Reanult Clio 1.1 estate and tbh it's a lovely drive. OH and I have clocked up over 800k since we got it.

And a brown paper bag he can stick over his head in case anyone sees him driving it :):):);)

• Advertisement

I says wrote: »
    And a brown paper bag he can stick over his head in case anyone sees him driving it :):):);)
    I will bring one with me just in case it's needed when I go to collect him :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement