Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Groom has arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Reggie. wrote: »
    Groom has arrived

Is that Gerards tractor?

Is that Gerards tractor?

Yep

I can now confirm that Mickey is no longer a free man. I did my best to talk him out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Groom has arrived

Lovely church.. Where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Away overnight and staying in an Air BnB on a farm. £35 for the four of us for the night.

Stunning place and the lady had a roaring fire on the stove when we landed. Nice 2 bedroom place, kitchen and large double height living room.

kk.man wrote: »
    Lovely church.. Where is it?

Meelick. Oldest functional church in ireland I think. Lovely place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

alps wrote: »
    You would have to say that the man spreading slurry today (Cork) is an absolute f###### genius..

Care to expand? I'm not aware of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Away overnight and staying in an Air BnB on a farm. £35 for the four of us for the night.

Stunning place and the lady had a roaring fire on the stove when we landed. Nice 2 bedroom place, kitchen and large double height living room.

How do they turn a penny at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

No point saying meelick where the hell is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Odelay wrote: »
    How do they turn a penny at that price?

I’ve no idea.
    Big box of logs left in and told to burn away.
    Tea, coffee, milk, buiscits all left out to use.

Beautiful old converted farmhouse on a large dairy farm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Murang wrote: »
    No point saying meelick where the hell is that

Near Banagher

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    Near Banagher

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Where's that?

"Well that bates Banagher, and Banagher bate the Devil"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

whelan2 wrote:
    Where's that?

Banagher is in Offaly, about 10miles from Birr.
    Meelik out between Banagher and Eyrecourt across the border in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There are 2 Parishes called Meelick in ireland, 3 Electoral Divisions and 20 Townlands.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Know it well. My Grandfather is buried there.

There's a lovely little humped back bridge on the lead up to it. It's barely the width of a car and flanked by lovely stone walls.

There's a story told about a bride being driven to the church in a stretched limo. She obviously wants to be dropped at the front door of the church, and the driver a bit inexperienced and not knowing the bridge situation, wants to duly oblige.

They are half way across, when you guessed it, the middle of the bridge meets the underside of the car. The car is marooned, not able to propel itself backwards or forwards. When she decides to walk the short distance herself, she goes to open the door .... and it bangs off the wall!

In the end it's a local farmers tractor that comes to the rescue, pulling the car free!

They have taken a lot of the hump ouf of it now so future incidents like this may not occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Base price wrote: »
    I didn't need the bag after all. He headed off with a big smile :)

He will need a trailer next.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/monster-tuna-caught-man-worth-sea-huge-bluefin-ireland-cork-david-edwards-fishing-a9121086.html

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Just wondering has anyone ever used one of these Dept approved dealers like the one in the link below for sourcing stock ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23075251

I’m considering purchasing/getting more into dry stock, along with working full time a service like this would very much appeal to me ...just wondering what do you think of €30 per head commission a bit much or reasonable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

josephsoap wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone ever used one of these Dept approved dealers like the one in the link below for sourcing stock ?

I’m considering purchasing/getting more into dry stock, along with working full time a service like this would very much appeal to me ...just wondering what do you think of €30 per head commission a bit much or reasonable ?
    I use a lad beside me the odd time and he would work out around $20 including dropping them back to me . Now he doesn't go out of his way for me just keeps his eye out for what I want along his travels . I think its a great job because I hate marts really and I'm usually working anyway . 
    The same lad brings most of our stuff to the mart and sells for us aswell . The most important thing is I trust him to do the right thing , make sure whoever you use that that's the case

• Advertisement

Raised by the village on now on rte 1. Should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Raised by the village on now on rte 1. Should be good

I don’t know how anyone raises children in a city these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    I don’t know how anyone raises children in a city these days.
    There are fantastic communities in and around Dublin but unfortunately there are also some hell holes. I can only speak about Dublin as I'm originally from there, my nieces and nephew grew up in a north Dublin suburb that was normal.

I sent mine in June and all I got was sire verification so far.

Stars up on icbf now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

josephsoap wrote: »

I collected cattle for a neighbor who purchased from the dealer in the link above recently and he seemed very happy with the service. Apart from that I haven't had any personal dealings with the man but haven't heard anything bad about him either. The whole setup seemed very transparent and professional imo. As for the €30 a head commission in fairness he has put together a fine yard, has to keep a lorry on the road, pay staff and ultimately have something for himself at the end of the week. Again I have no real personal knowledge of the setup but if you were happy with the stock and the prices it might be as good a way of assembling them as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Stars up on icbf now

Were they up last week from the run on 23rd?

Were they up last week from the run on 23rd?

I don't know only noticed them last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I collected cattle for a neighbor who purchased from the dealer in the link above recently and he seemed very happy with the service. Apart from that I haven't had any personal dealings with the man but haven't heard anything bad about him either. The whole setup seemed very transparent and professional imo. As for the €30 a head commission in fairness he has put together a fine yard, has to keep a lorry on the road, pay staff and ultimately have something for himself at the end of the week. Again I have no real personal knowledge of the setup but if you were happy with the stock and the prices it might be as good a way of assembling them as any.

They're in Ennis sometimes, hard to take them out if they want a particular animal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

orm0nd wrote: »

They're in Ennis sometimes, hard to take them out if they want a particular animal.

The cattle I collected were all from Clare herds and were bought in Ennis to the best of my knowledge. I couldn't fault either the stock or the prices tbh but that was my first encounter with them. A lot of lads are away working or whatever and there's definitely demand for a source of genuine stock at realistic prices imo. As Bullocks said above trust is everything and a good service is definitely worth a bit extra in my eyes anyway. I can't say I've ever encountered him buying in any of the marts I frequent, seeming he operates more West and South West than Sligo, Leitrim or North Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I can now confirm that Mickey is no longer a free man. I did my best to talk him out of it

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement