Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Youngest lad sleep walks. He was up at 1am looking for the price of football boots in the bathroom. Must video him some night. You'd think you were talking to him as normal. He never remembers anything of it the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The Dutch are out in numbers protesting in the Hague. Traffic stopped with tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »
    Good to go 😊

That confirms it
    All Boardsies to Brian’s on Pancake Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I really don't get some lads.. could they not take a few other pics without a dead bloody calf..

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/nice-quiet-cow-after-calving-no-calf/23112921

images like this does our industry no favors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dozer1 wrote: »
    I really don't get some lads.. could they not take a few other pics without a dead bloody calf..

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/nice-quiet-cow-after-calving-no-calf/23112921

images like this does our industry no favors

an image like that is just the reality, its not as if loosing a calf at calving is something to be ashamed of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See the Irish version of the raging lunatic party are calling for the introduction of wolves again.

Introducing an apex predator to a small intensity farmed country has to be the most ridiculous suggestion in a while.

Maybe focus on a functioning forestry system where farmers and not the forestry companies actually benefit in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Maybe focus on a functioning forestry system where farmers and not the forestry companies actually benefit in the long run.

The farmer and nature instead of the planed 70% spruce monoculture which dose nothing positive for our native wildlife.

It's sad, I'd like to vote for a green party, it's a shame we don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

See the Irish version of the raging lunatic party are calling for the introduction of wolves again.

Introducing an apex predator to a small intensity farmed country has to be the most ridiculous suggestion in a while.

Standard BS from the likes of Eamon Ryan - clueless to the realities beyond the M50. It won't happen anyway as no credible conservation group would go along with it as it would be a guaranteed failure for obvious reasons. Instead of empty soudbytes the Greens would be better employed campaining for proper funding of agri environmental schemes that benefit both farmers and wildlife like our dwindling population of Curlews,Corncrakes etc.

When I saw that I thought you were on about one of the alphabet soup parties but feckin hell!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

They'll want to reintroduce the Irish Bear next. Nice diversion tactics away from the real issues of global warming and pollution. Try selling the idea of banning all foreign holiday travel and see how that goes.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

emaherx wrote: »
    It's sad, I'd like to vote for a green party, it's a shame we don't have one.

A party represents those who attend the party meetings.
    I've never been to a green party meeting. And I doubt many farmers who farm for an income go either.

I could be wrong though. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong!!

I've never been to a green party meeting. And I doubt many farmers who farm for an income go either.

I could be wrong though. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong!!

I'm confused..... Does that mean we should attend them? Or shouldn't?

emaherx wrote: »
    I'm confused..... Does that mean we should attend them? Or shouldn't?

If you don't attend you'll get no representation.

Oh definitely go and be that quare contrary farmer talking about farming for nature while earning an income from farming at the same time, who sits down at the back.
    Report back to us when you do.

(I think the nearest to agriculture representatives the gp have is people who keep thoroughbreds? )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Oh definitely go and be that quare contrary farmer talking about farming for nature while earning an income from farming at the same time, who sits down at the back.

(I think the nearest to agriculture representatives the gp have is people who keep thoroughbreds? )

I think I read about some Green Party rep from the midlands who was a farmer, she was sheep and beef from what I remember...

Will try to find the details on the google...

Edit : https://www.greenparty.ie/green-party-launch-cllr-pippa-hackett-as-candidate-for-the-seanad-by-election/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think I read about some Green Party rep from the midlands who was a farmer, she was sheep and beef from what I remember...

Will try to find the details on the google...

Pippa hackett from tullamore, she's addressing a Harvest Thanksgiving in one of our churches next sunday..........don't know what to think about that, it it appropriate or not, I thought it odd anyway

On second thoughts I should probably attend meetings of one of the good party's with sound environmental policies......

Oh wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

I don't think farmers attending GP meetings would influence their fundamentalist agenda. I, wrongly, gave a candidate a scratch somewhere down along the line at last elections. The particular candidates agenda after the election bore little relation to the soft talk from them before the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Green Party leader, Eamon Ryan, has proposed reintroducing wolves to Ireland.

Just let that sink in for a few minutes.

And people want us to try to relate to GP policies?

Ah, no.

Just....no.

Ah, no.

Just....no.

Hes not their leader I dont think
    Edit - my mistake I thought Catherine Martin was their leader

• Advertisement

To change the topic away from the greens. Does anyone remember Bids? It seems like it was MII's predecessor.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/beef-industry-deal-anti-competitive-1.515921?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Ah, no.

Just....no.

Seems to be a shocking detachment from reality there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

No need for wolves in the country. Sure haven't we more than enough of the 2 legged variety already? :p:

Ah, no.

Just....no.
    Maybe these so called wolves are idioms?

No wait .. maybe it's just an aim high to settle for beavers instead...

In other news those darn pelicans here in south wexford last year flew back to fota wildlife park in cork. Apparently there were no free lunches in wexford.

Rural Ireland should be huge supporters of the GP but they really seem to be looking for the pure and absolute idiot vote.

And that is a group that most parties seem to be going all out chasing these days.

Jaysus.

Wolves showed considerable variation in home range size, which ranged from 259 to 1,676 km2

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00442-013-2668-x

so thats radius' of 9km to 23km
    attached is what the smaller range looks like centered on the sally gap would look like

the larger one going from the M50 to aughrim and the sea to naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I would think that most farmers currently in the green party would be organic.

It's easy to critise, wolves no way, but what policies would you like to see being followed in the countryside and how would government encourage and implement them?

Our potential next Agriculture commissioner looks to be in a spot of bother at his first hearing.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-farm-nominee-janusz-wojciechowski-faces-further-grilling-after-botched-hearing/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Ah, no.

Just....no.

I believe that a fluid grasp of reality seems to be a fashionable requirement for all political roles atm. A saying that has always stuck with me regarding dreamers is "it's there world we only live in it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

https://www.dublinzoo.ie/news/wolves-in-the-woods-now-open/

This should be enough for him. There was a reason they were hunted to extinction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement