Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

https://www.dublinzoo.ie/news/wolves-in-the-woods-now-open/

This should be enough for him. There was a reason they were hunted to extinction.

There's a lad elsewhere talking about building 12 foot high fences stretching from wicklow to cork and wicklow to Galway a few miles wide and patrolled by wildlife rangers to keep the wolves inside their range.

You would have to wonder what colour the sky is on their planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

wrangler wrote: »

Pippa hackett from tullamore, she's addressing a Harvest Thanksgiving in one of our churches next sunday..........don't know what to think about that, it it appropriate or not, I thought it odd anyway

You could give it a skip for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just in case you've never heard tell of Dr. Ratten Lal before.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/low-hanging-fruit-dr-rattan-lal-on-how-soil-farming-can-help-save-the-climate-jb1

He's mentioned in numerous books on soil health and is a world leader on understanding carbon sequestration.
    The above is just a synopsis on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

https://www.dublinzoo.ie/news/wolves-in-the-woods-now-open/

This should be enough for him. There was a reason they were hunted to extinction.

Actually is was the British settlers in the Cromwellian period that drove them to extinction - until then the native Irish had a live and let live attitude to them. If individuals caused problems they were obviously hunted but packs living away from farmsteads in the mountains and wild woods were generally left alone. Unfortunatly the Wild woods were taken out by the same settlers which sealed the faith of wolves and a number of other native species. At this time too there were full time shephards and guarding dogs that kept flocks safe, much like in Romania, Turkey etc. today.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

According to this man not only is CO2 climate change nonsense, he believes if humans didn't start releasing CO2 back into the atmosphere that plants would start to die off from lack of it CO2.
    Who to believe?

[url] https://youtu.be/S6sKPSKkvVs[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

MeTheMan wrote: »
    According to this man not only is CO2 climate change nonsense, he believes if humans didn't start releasing CO2 back into the atmosphere that plants would start to die off from lack of it CO2.
    Who to believe?

If we listen to those who believe we are the cause of climate change and it makes us think about more sustainable living and reducing the pollution we cause on the planet would it be a bad thing even if they were wrong? Obviously co2 is important for plant life but I'd be hard convinced that burning the amount of oil we do added to the worldwide human caused wildfires and other sources of crap we inflict on the planet is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Who to believe?

Even listening to scientists we have to play the statistics game. Still the majority of reputable scientists agree that human activity is having a negative effect on the environment and climate.
    There is some variance in how much we are impacting or how much we can effect the outcomes at this stage, but little disagreeable that by making changes we can negate the impact somehow.

I'm all for sustainable living and just looking at plastic pollution around the world its clear to see the damage humans are doing to the planet. Up until half hour ago until I came across that video I was sure we needed to go renewable and stop the use of fossil fuels but according to him only for the burning of fossil fuels the planet wouldn't be able to support plant life, which in turn wouldn't produce oxygen for human life. How can the one situation have two completely different end views. One side says high levels of CO2 will distroy the planet the others say low levels will destroy the planet.
    Seems to me, no more then storm lerenzo they don't have a clue until just before it happens.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Actually is was the British settlers in the Cromwellian period that drove them to extinction - until then the native Irish had a live and let live attitude to them. If individuals caused problems they were obviously hunted but packs living away from farmsteads in the mountains and wild woods were generally left alone. Unfortunatly the Wild woods were taken out by the same settlers which sealed the faith of wolves and a number of other native species. At this time too there were full time shephards and guarding dogs that kept flocks safe, much like in Romania, Turkey etc. today.

I think the last one was hunted and killed by the Carlow Farmers hunt on Mount Leinster.

The Irish wolves were seemingly a bit different genetically and size and downright aggressiveness than your typical European wolf.
    There were numerous reports of wolf attacks and kills on people and probably lots more that went unreported.
    I'd say some wolves just lost their fear of humans here from spoils of battlefields or sick people travelling alone. Eitherway it was not a good country with these bould wolves.

I'd equate it nearly with the tale of "the Ghost and the Darkness". Two lions who held up a railroad being built by attacking and killing human workers.
    Except in this region the lions were known as man killers as this was a caravan route that moved slaves and they simply tossed sick slaves to one side where the prides of lions in the area had ample opportunity to hone and develop their skill.
    Anyway just thinking out loud this was also a slave producing and using country so maybe the same rules applied here in developing some wolves lack of fear of humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think the last one was hunted and killed by the Carlow Farmers hunt on Mount Leinster.

The Irish wolves were seemingly a bit different genetically and size and downright aggressiveness than your typical European wolf.
    There were numerous reports of wolf attacks and kills on people and probably lots more that went unreported.
    I'd say some wolves just lost their fear of humans here from spoils of battlefields or sick people travelling alone. Eitherway it was not a good country with these bould wolves.

I'd equate it nearly with the tale of "the Ghost and the Darkness". Two lions who held up a railroad being built by attacking and killing human workers.
    Except in this region the lions were known as man killers as this was a caravan route that moved slaves and they simply tossed sick slaves to one side where the prides of lions in the area had ample opportunity to hone and develop their skill.
    Anyway just thinking out loud this was also a slave producing and using country so maybe the same rules applied here in developing some wolves lack of fear of humans.

Attacks on people could also be down to lack of wild prey and easily targeted rural populations. Much the same as would happen today.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Attacks on people could also be down to lack of wild prey and easily targeted rural populations. Much the same as would happen today.

It the same with all animals. If they learn a trick they'll do it again.

I couldn't tell you about the wild prey part but there's nothing I've posted there that is false.

Wolf attacks nowadays are not as common. They do happen but most likely on campers when other eejits feed them removing their human shyness.

The Irish wolves then and talk of introducing wolves now. Genetically they'd be a different type.

It's all silly talk anyways to appease the Yellowstone visiting vegans in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

only for the burning of fossil fuels the planet wouldn't be able to support plant life, which in turn wouldn't produce oxygen for human life. How can the one situation have two completely different end views. One side says high levels of CO2 will distroy the planet the others say low levels will destroy the planet.

Just that bit alone would cause me to stop listening to that fella. Remember, the world has been around a long long time. And for the vast majority of that there was no fossil fuel burning, and the place was teaming with life. So his synopsis there is absolute nonsense.

The majority of our oxygen is produced in the oceans via photoplankton and not the trees, though the trees do contribute. Get rid of all the trees, we'd still have plenty of O2. We'd have other issues though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Just that bit alone would cause me to stop listening to that fella. Remember, the world has been around a long long time. And for the vast majority of that there was no fossil fuel burning, and the place was teaming with life. So his synopsis there is absolute nonsense.

The majority of our oxygen is produced in the oceans via photoplankton and not the trees, though the trees do contribute. Get rid of all the trees, we'd still have plenty of O2. We'd have other issues though!

remember at one time fossil fuel wasn't fossils

He does go through that in the video. CO2 levels were many times higher millions of years ago and as you say it "was teaming with life" so why are levels now distroying life?

I wouldn't agree we would have plenty of O2 if all the trees were gone. Just recently while the amazon was burning I read that every 5th breath you take is O2 from the amazon. Take into account all the other trees, grasses, shrubs etc around the world and I'd say its more of a 50/50 split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Birdnuts wrote: »
    At this time too there were full time shephards and guarding dogs that kept flocks safe, much like in Romania, Turkey etc. today.

Guard dogs would pose their own issues in Ireland. I looked into them a number of years ago. On the Ag side individuals have been known to attack and eat animals they're supposed to be guarding. Possibly more seriously they see other dogs as threats, which might not be idea with the number of dog walkers we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The Irish wolves then and talk of introducing wolves now. Genetically they'd be a different type.

It's all silly talk anyways to appease the Yellowstone visiting vegans in the group.

There is a vast difference between wolves in Yellowstone national park and Ireland. To hunt elk is Yellowstone the wolves need the snow to help them hunt Yellowstone gets a lot of snow.
    Yellowstone is a wilderness and was never farmed almost every inch of Ireland was farmed at sometime we have a farmed enviroment.
    Re-wilding is a myth, we have a great range of species adapted to live in the managed countryside that we have if you re-wild ireland you will loose these species. That said nature needs a hand and agricultural practices need to be changed to give them a chance.
    not disagreeing with you just disagreeing with a green who needed a sound bite for publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My brother in the states has a husky cross dog that looks like a wolf. He says when he goes out walking there, he frightens a lot of people. He was going around a corner once and the dog was ahead of him on a lead. Woman coming the other way let out a big scream. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Who to believe?

I think the CO2 think is being vastly over egged. Human activities can damage regional climates - but more through deforestation and drainage like what happened the Aral Sea in Russia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I wouldn't agree we would have plenty of O2 if all the trees were gone. Just recently while the amazon was burning I read that every 5th breath you take is O2 from the amazon. Take into account all the other trees, grasses, shrubs etc around the world and I'd say its more of a 50/50 split.

Just to respond to this. I knew I'd read about it somewhere previously. Here's the link about it
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/08/amazon-fire-earth-has-plenty-oxygen/596923/

Frank Mitloehner is a good follow on Twitter for this kinda stuff if yer interested in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

grassroot1 wrote: »
    There is a vast difference between wolves in Yellowstone national park and Ireland. To hunt elk is Yellowstone the wolves need the snow to help them hunt Yellowstone gets a lot of snow.
    Yellowstone is a wilderness and was never farmed almost every inch of Ireland was farmed at sometime we have a farmed enviroment.
    Re-wilding is a myth, we have a great range of species adapted to live in the managed countryside that we have if you re-wild ireland you will loose these species. That said nature needs a hand and agricultural practices need to be changed to give them a chance.
    not disagreeing with you just disagreeing with a green who needed a sound bite for publicity

Somewhere in Eastern Europe, not sure what country it is tried re-introducing wolves recently. There were supposed to have been sightings of wolves in the area before the re-introduction, this was part of the validation for the programme.

Anyway 10 wolves were re-introduced, but locals started complaining about the wolves attacking stock etc. So the 'experts' decided the wolves had to be shot, they ended up shooting 12!:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    Somewhere in Eastern Europe, not sure what country it is tried re-introducing wolves recently. There were supposed to have been sightings of wolves in the area before the re-introduction, this was part of the validation for the programme.

Anyway 10 wolves were re-introduced, but locals started complaining about the wolves attacking stock etc. So the 'experts' decided the wolves had to be shot, they ended up shooting 12!:o
    golodge from Lithuania posted in the livestock thread about having problems with wolves.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108532032#post108532032

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's going to come on soon enough for the bps

Phil Hogan or creed already mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Equivalent to asking companies to hand over 3% of turnover every year

ganmo wrote: »
    Equivalent to asking companies to hand over 3% of turnover every year

1 ha not too bad if you've more than 40ha. Kinda severe if you've 20ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Last of the summer wine.... well, silage anyway. 29 bales, 430 made in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Danzy wrote: »
    That's going to come on soon enough for the bps

Phil Hogan or creed already mentioned it.

I think it's that 10% of the farm has to be habitat, be that trees or ditches etc. Was on farm which only had external ditches with a row of trees on one side and a good 2 metre inside them left wild and it came to only 3%. If you have a lot of internal ditches it may not be too bad. Possibly may be the only advantage to having the farm split by the road is the ditches along either side should count

The Wicklow Calf Company is looking for AA weanling bulls around 200-250kgs for export to a non EU market. This is a trial run and heavier weights would be looked for if successful.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/wicklow-calf-company-to-export-angus-bulls-498927

Mooooo wrote: »
    I think it's that 10% of the farm has to be habitat, be that trees or ditches etc. Was on farm which only had external ditches with a row of trees on one side and a good 2 metre inside them left wild and it came to only 3%. If you have a lot of internal ditches it may not be too bad. Possibly may be the only advantage to having the farm split by the road is the ditches along either side should count

Can I rent out ditches?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Can I rent out ditches?:D

I have a vertical stocking rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement