Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are the rules not simple enough as it is - spread between 2 dates? In a month or 2 they'll be out looking to spread before the start date. Same craic every year.

If anything, the dates will be further restricted, and most likely ya won't be allowed spread even this late in the year.

I’ve a neighbor who spreads after the deadline expires and before the open season every single year. Some of it stuff drawn in from the piggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve a neighbor who spreads after the deadline expires and before the open season every single year. Some of it stuff drawn in from the piggery.

Piggeries busy ringing farmers to see if they will take slurry right now, wet weather during the summer means their tanks are almost full when you'd expect them to be empty.

Had two missed calls from a piggery this week already.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I've seen it all now. Woman in front of me at the till in lidl. She had her pyjama bottoms on. She put her stuff through and took her bank card out of her bra to pay. Then put it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone get bps payment this week yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Got a call a few weeks ago from our local piggery too. Told him I was sorted anyway for the year but gave him a few numbers of lads to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

marathon wrote: »
    Anyone get bps payment this week yet

BPS put this week and a letter arrives this morning that we have an over claim. 0.25ha...dirty dying g bastards...why wait till now..?

We have an unchanged bps application with years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »

TBH I' wouldn't tolerate that craic next to me - I ran a B and B back in the 80's near Hollymount in SE Mayo that ended up failing due to constant problems with the only source of water for our 18th centuary farmhouse, which was a well on my grandparents land. It was so badly contaminated that at times you couldn't even use it to flush the toilets:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

whelan2 wrote: »
    I've seen it all now. Woman in front of me at the till in lidl. She had her pyjama bottoms on. She put her stuff through and took her bank card out of her bra to pay. Then put it back in.
    Lol.
    She in her working clothes?
    Takes credit card payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

NEK!! Your inbox is full :P

Shíte end to calving here, cow with twisted calf bad, needed a section, dead calf.
    Fook sake. I had noticed her kind of sick to calve yesterday but then was comfortable enough later in the day so left her. Kicking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

NEK!! Your inbox is full :P

Shíte end to calving here, cow with twisted calf bad, needed a section, dead calf.
    Fook sake. I had noticed her kind of sick to calve yesterday but then was comfortable enough later in the day so left her. Kicking myself.

I saw that on twitter alright. Sorry to hear it.

A neighbors heifer calved, he never checked on her and no sign of the calf. High rushes and about a 4 acre field. By the time he checked, there was no sign of the calf. I spent Saturday looking with him.

Since last year, he has had 3 sections and 3dead/missing calves and makes a massive loss from 4cows. He sold his Whitehead bull and bought a charolais and has bought three springers, two from the lad that sold him the springers that need sections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Classy lassie

They were probably her good pyjamas so it’s ok. 🙄

I saw that on twitter alright. Sorry to hear it.

A neighbors heifer calved, he never checked on her and no sign of the calf. High rushes and about a 4 acre field. By the time he checked, there was no sign of the calf. I spent Saturday looking with him.

Since last year, he has had 3 sections and 3dead/missing calves and makes a massive loss from 4cows. He sold his Whitehead bull and bought a charolais and has bought three springers, two from the lad that sold him the springers that need sections.

Just so pissed off at myself for not calling the vet sooner. Thought she was sick yesterday but she went back normal, tail down etc by 4pm. Assumed calf had just moved in her or something & had been causing discomfort. At 9, she had tail out & making moves on being sick so left her again & at 1.30am was lying chewing her cud.
    I had a next door neighbour who's seen it all in cattle, look at her early this morning & he thought her not fully broke, (tbh her bag wasn't filled out either) so I went off to green cert. Came back & she looked ok but just too quiet for a cow which normally tries to kill me at calving time.

Anyway. Life goes on. I won 275 on the lotto tonight. Which is nice:pac:
    Fcuking swings & roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

These things happen LH. Did she push out the blister?
    My neighbour had a case like that last year. I met him on the road and he said he had a cow that was calving for ages and she hadn't pushed out the blister. I handled her and couln't figure out what was wrong as I'd never seen a twisted bed before. We managed to get ropes on the legs but calf felt like he was coming sideways.
    In the end called the vet. Between a gang of us we rolled the cow as the vet pulled and got out a live calf. Calf was touch and go but I think the cow died months later.
    I think what happens is the contractions stop as the calf isn't in the cervix to stimulate them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

See the DUP are holding out on Borris, I’d read they were being offered an £8bln sweetener for their support.

Are they holding out for more money, or just wanting to be seen to have principles since everyone heard about their big payday.

These things happen LH. Did she push out the blister?
    My neighbour had a case like that last year. I met him on the road and he said he had a cow that was calving for ages and she hadn't pushed out the blister. I handled her and couln't figure out what was wrong as I'd never seen a twisted bed before. We managed to get ropes on the legs but calf felt like he was coming sideways.
    In the end called the vet. Between a gang of us we rolled the cow as the vet pulled and got out a live calf. Calf was touch and go but I think the cow died months later.
    I think what happens is the contractions stop as the calf isn't in the cervix to stimulate them.

No, no blister. Was acting pretty similar to the first cow which had the breach twins as no water bag there either. Vet said it was 2 or 3 times twisted, impossible to fix externally.

No, no blister. Was acting pretty similar to the first cow which had the breach twins as no water bag there either. Vet said it was 2 or 3 times twisted, impossible to fix externally.

Will you cull her or put a calf on her. They normally dont spring as much as a normal calving.

Will you cull her or put a calf on her. They normally dont spring as much as a normal calving.

I'll be happy to just get her through recovery first. Not eating this morning :(

I'll be happy to just get her through recovery first. Not eating this morning :(

Feck. Hope she recovers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well the craziness has now infected Liverpool city council.

Stick up that Irish sea border fairly lively...

https://twitter.com/wildforest_matt/status/1184554092804349954?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

How much hunting was goin on within their city limits?
    Bugger all I'd bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ganmo wrote: »
    Bugger all I'd bet

I bet you haven't watched Firmino, Salah and Mane chase down the visiting defenders yet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »
    Bugger all I'd bet

The council is seemingly going up to Balmoral and will shout "Down with this sort of thing". :p

Dangerous precedent to be setting especially those in office.
    Just how ridiculous it's getting is people now bring in injured wild rats and mice into vets.
    Expect the craziness to spread to this side of the Irish sea. In their head they think they're doing divine justice.
    The wolves discussion is the start of the craziness here.
    Loose dogs will be least of people's worries then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Anyone else notice a difficulty viewing posts on a new page on this thread?
    I can see there is a new post by same my name but it takes me to BTJs last post. It’s until the second post is in the new page, then I can see them.
    iPhone 6, Safari, cleared cookies and turned it off and on again. Still no joy, going on a few weeks, only happens on this thread.

Odelay wrote: »
    I can a new post by same my name but it takes me to BTJs last post. It’s until the second post is in the new page, then I can see them.
    iPhone 6, Safari, cleared cookies and turned it off and on again. Still no joy, going on a few weeks, only happens on this thread.

This happens me on the weather thread here. Biards playing up on my phone this last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

I can a new post by same my name but it takes me to BTJs last post. It’s until the second post is in the new page, then I can see them.

Happens me on lots of different threads on Android Phone using Chrome also. You have to wait for next poster or else view full desktop version of site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Same here. This chit chat thread was invisible when I logged on first . It just appeared of its own accord then after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Well the craziness has now infected Liverpool city council.

Stick up that Irish sea border fairly lively...

https://twitter.com/wildforest_matt/status/1184554092804349954?s=20

Folk with a bit of commonsense are getting sick of this type of nonsense - this morning in London, some of those climate crazies held up a tube train for 30 minutes and then got beaten up by passengers. Just shows how stupid many of these climate nuts are by targeting the Greenest form of transport there is!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

By Christ Mariead McGuinness is well able to stick it to the Brexit man on prime time. Very impressive.

• Advertisement

And gone :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement