Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a lodgement into my account this morning of over 300 euro. It was from royal bank of Scotland. I thought maybe something had happened to my card while away. Got a letter there. Refund of charges due to being overcharged on overdraft set up. Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a lodgement into my account this morning of over 300 euro. It was from royal bank of Scotland. I thought maybe something had happened to my card while away. Got a letter there. Refund of charges due to being overcharged on overdraft set up. Happy days

Next match paid for, no need yet for the Gofundme page I was setting up to get you over for the rest of the matches this season:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ganmo wrote: »
    are they the same as the ones you'd buy over the counter?

No be far more powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone here wear shop coat round the farm ??

Met with a guy today and he was wearing his farm shop coat. These guys are less and less. Reminded me of my dad who wore one on the farm for years.

Love wearing the overalls myself. Warm and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »

Met with a guy today and he was wearing his farm shop coat. These guys are less and less. Reminded me of my dad who wore one on the farm for years.

Is a shop coat one of those long brown cloth coats? Our vet used to wear one...

If they are, I don’t think anyone around here used wear them for farming...

I miss the lads in suits. There was a few around our place when I was small that used to wear the old 3 piece suit for farming. They had another good one for mass. There are still one or two ould boys who would still wear the suit jacket, but the waistcoat seems to be long gone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    He's not really worried about 5G, he's complaining that he wasn't "consulted".
    Anyone smell an election in the air?

The problem with an election, much like across the water, I'm not sure it'll provide much in the way of change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd know a few older men that wear blue shop coats around the farm and at the mart although there definitely in the minority. The sports coat or suit jacket would be another trademark of some of the elder lemons, I often heard the auld fella talking about lads wearing 3 piece suits while farming when he was a child. My own attire is usually a shirt or t shirt and a body warmer or jacket weather dependent, don't bother with jumpers or anything with a hood usually. I try to stick to boots and leggings rather than wellies if at all possible, short sleeves and a body warmer are easier kept clean and if needed I can always wear a quilted dealer jacket over it if it's very cold or wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I miss the lads in suits. There was a few around our place when I was small that used to wear the old 3 piece suit for farming. They had another good one for mass. There are still one or two ould boys who would still wear the suit jacket, but the waistcoat seems to be long gone...

My grandfather used get cross with my father if he didn't wear a suit while ploughing, something about ploughmen more respectable or being a step above the farm worker or something like that.

It didn't last long after my grandfather passed away.

I remember a few older lads having a suit on while farming when I was very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

My grandfather used get cross with my father if he didn't wear a suit while ploughing, something about ploughmen more respectable or being a step above the farm worker or something like that.

It didn't last long after my grandfather passed away.

I remember a few older lads having a suit on while farming when I was very young.

There was 2 lads who used to work in our place when I was small, who used to wear the 3-piece...
    One walked everywhere, the other had his own transport - and old high nelly bike :)

Maybe I’m a lot older than others, but I’m talking prob mid to late 80s kinda time...

Brown or blue.

One factory I worked actually supplied shop coats for the maintenance team. Navy blue. I was there for maybe a year, really felt like an auld fella wearing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Shop costs and overalls are great for engineering and factory type work but not great for farming l find as ****e and smell of silage pass through.

Like would you strip down to boxers and put on overalls or wear them over your day job pants?

Above the clothes.
    I use dairy overalls that have Splash proof outer layer so no smell through to inner clothes.

Typical trousers over the winter would be dickies workwear trousers, plenty of pockets and warm too. Over the warm weather I’d wear hiking trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Reliving the 80s here. A-Ha concert at the Three with the missus! Some blast from the past! ðŸ˜႒

And to give u an idea of the age of the clientele here....two ladies behind me, one offers the other some sweets or something like that. The other declines, saying that she didn’t have time to fix her teeth before she came out. (Best Dub accent required for full effect). ðŸ˜႒

What would lads think a reasonable rate for a 3 ton machine, self drive, delivered 12 miles & collected for 3 days? Got a quote today, wondering if it's reasonable or not.

360-400?

What would lads think a reasonable rate for a 3 ton machine, self drive, delivered 12 miles & collected for 3 days? Got a quote today, wondering if it's reasonable or not.

A relation has a 3 tonne digger hired for the week, collected it himself and self drive for €350. I don't know if that's value when you collect/return it and keep diesel in it but he's handy enough with a digger and will live on it for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

Always have a few in workshop, handy for protecting clothes when doing a few quick jobs, but my old lad wore one on the farm all the time, he'd have to have a shop coat and a cap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

€400 if from a hire company rather than one from a lad with one in a shed? You’d probably get it for the week for €500.

I don't rate self hire as good value. Unless you are well used to them. But you will never have the efficiency of a tip top owner operator. Some of them are a sight to behold. They use the jib as if it was an extension of their hands.

You always need a lad moving about the site anyways, and that should be yourself. If you have to be hopping up and down out of a digger, you may as well forget it.

I find this same with driving fencing posts. Leave it to the digger driver and you place the posts. Forget the post driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'd know a few older men that wear blue shop coats around the farm and at the mart although there definitely in the minority. The sports coat or suit jacket would be another trademark of some of the elder lemons, I often heard the auld fella talking about lads wearing 3 piece suits while farming when he was a child. My own attire is usually a shirt or t shirt and a body warmer or jacket weather dependent, don't bother with jumpers or anything with a hood usually. I try to stick to boots and leggings rather than wellies if at all possible, short sleeves and a body warmer are easier kept clean and if needed I can always wear a quilted dealer jacket over it if it's very cold or wet.

Leggings?? I’m thinking of you walking around in them black leggings the girls in SuperValu wear...

• Advertisement

Remember crushing barley on the farm years ago.

Father was feeding the roller from fert bags of whole barley.

Anyhow I was sitting on the seat of the DB880 facing backwards.

Corner of his shop coat caught in the pto shaft. Took it in, ripped up seam in back and took that half down across his arm and around the shaft. He was a brute strong and resisted being pulled in and the coat was probably well worn.

I was a youngster, 8 or 9 and didn’t really realise the seriousness of what just happened. I couldn’t understand why everything was turned off where it stood and we went into the house for the evening.

Odelay wrote: »
    Leggings?? I’m thinking of you walking around in them black leggings the girls in SuperValu wear...

Them girls have moved onto pyjamas now

Odelay wrote: »

Sorry for creating that mental image and the undue anguish that I've undoubtedly caused. I don't know the exact terminology but I meant the somewhat water proof overalls that clip on to your belt, something like pull ups without the waist band. If I was anyways handy at linking pictures I'd fire up an image but sadly that's still beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sorry for creating that mental image and the undue anguish that I've undoubtedly caused. I don't know the exact terminology but I meant the somewhat water proof overalls that clip on to your belt, something like pull ups without the waist band. If I was anyways handy at linking pictures I'd fire up an image but sadly that's still beyond me.

Chaps is what they are called about here anyhow.

€350 was the quote so doesn't seem too bad. I get what yee are saying re self drive vs experienced river. I've an old shed 40x47, I want to shift the old dung to one side and tidy it up a bit. I figure it'd take a driver part of a day but I wouldn't mind having a play around a bit myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Something like these chaps Albert?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barbour-olive-green-wax-chaps-over-trousers-mens-size-L-New-large-FAULTY-/274049045382?nma=true&si=f1zxAozLZUzsSR9sxHBF%252BjSkEq4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

€350 was the quote so doesn't seem too bad. I get what yee are saying re self drive vs experienced river. I've an old shed 40x47, I want to shift the old dung to one side and tidy it up a bit. I figure it'd take a driver part of a day but I wouldn't mind having a play around a bit myself.

Local hire man to here is €500 plus vat for a full week for a 14 ton digger. Serious value. That's delivered and collected.

blue5000 wrote: »

Yes Blue that's exactly what I was referring too, thank you. The term water proof may be stretching it a bit but they'll keep you reasonably clean and I don't sweat as much as with regular pull ups (no waist band). Unless going through wet gaps or around feeders I try to avoid wellies as I find them cold and uncomfortable (granted I don't buy dear wellies so I suppose you get what you pay for).

Grueller wrote: »
    Local hire man to here is €500 plus vat for a full week for a 14 ton digger. Serious value. That's delivered and collected.

That sounds savage value in fairness especially if you were anyways handy with it. I wouldn't be able to level or dig drains with a fall but there'd be no bushes or narrow gaps safe if I had it for a week round home. Having said that a talented operator is priceless and as Muckit said if you were doing the donkey work on the ground there'd be some difference after a week with an owner driven machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

PTO shafts done away with oil boys in "shop coats".....

And my personal bugbear, those hateful strings that hang from the hood of "hoodies", just perfect for getting caught in something..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement