Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Sorry for creating that mental image and the undue anguish that I've undoubtedly caused. I don't know the exact terminology but I meant the somewhat water proof overalls that clip on to your belt, something like pull ups without the waist band. If I was anyways handy at linking pictures I'd fire up an image but sadly that's still beyond me.

I thought the same- I was waiting for you to say the leggings were the only way to let your thong be shown half way up your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    PTO shafts done away with oil boys in "shop coats".....

And my personal bugbear, those hateful strings that hang from the hood of "hoodies", just perfect for getting caught in something..

Hot to mention long hair and dreadlocks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hot to mention long hair and dreadlocks.

I've always had long hair, keep it tied back with a baseball cap on when working on machines. Biggest safety issue I find is the wedding ring, I take if off for a lot of jobs but the amount of times I've got if caught in something doing relatively simple tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This is the one that gets to me. National broadcaster showing a guy working in a forge. Sure, who needs safety glasses.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is the one that gets to me. National broadcaster showing a guy working in a forge. Sure, who needs safety glasses.

I had a red hot chip of steel burned onto my eye.
    Had it removed in hospital, scar on my eye for about 10 years afterwards.

Was desperately painful and shameful having to admit I had no goggles on.

Big lesson learned. Few mm over and I’d have lost the sight in the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    I had a red hot chip of steel burned onto my eye.
    Had it removed in hospital, scar on my eye for about 10 years afterwards.

Was desperately painful and shameful having to admit I had no goggles on.

Big lesson learned. Few mm over and I’d have lost the sight in the eye.

Was surprised at the Highland Show too at the blacksmiths competitions, the guys making horse shoes, which involved a lot of hammering on red hot iron, weren't wearing goggles.
    I never wear goggles myself and have paid the price a few times........ GP usually gets it out though while he gives a lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

emaherx wrote: »
    Biggest safety issue I find is the wedding ring, I take if off for a lot of jobs but the amount of times I've got if caught in something doing relatively simple tasks.

Yeah don't wear mine at all now. Value my fingers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Muckit wrote: »

I broke my finger within a month of getting married, don't know where the ring is now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Would ye recommend a battery powered grease gun? The manual one I have is on it's last legs here and it's a pain int he arse trying to hold it, pump and keep the nozzle on a nipple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Theres an add on at the minute for aib i think it is with a young one attacking the kitchen units with a sledge. She has the goggles on but nearly decapitates herself!
    They're backing brave!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mine fell into a bucket of milk the first milking after coming back from honeymoon.

I washed it and put it on the bedside cabinet where it remains to this day, in absolute pristine condition.

Unlike myself:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Would ye recommend a battery powered grease gun? The manual one I have is on it's last legs here and it's a pain int he arse trying to hold it, pump and keep the nozzle on a nipple

My view would be only if you're greasing a machine everyday day.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

wrangler wrote: »
    Was surprised at the Highland Show too at the blacksmiths competitions, the guys making horse shoes, which involved a lot of hammering on red hot iron, weren't wearing goggles.
    I never wear goggles myself and have paid the price a few times........ GP usually gets it out though while he gives a lecture

Have worn safety glasses making shoes before, the physical nature of the task and the heat involved makes it damn near impossible to keep them from steaming up. And in a shoeing competition where time is tight enough wiping the steam out of them only happens once before they are fired away.

The sparks flying from hot steel being forged are many times bigger and heavier than a spark from a grinder and they tend to fall to the ground rather than fly about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mine fell into a bucket of milk the first milking after coming back from honeymoon.

I washed it and put it on the bedside cabinet where it remains to this day, in absolute pristine condition.

Many years ago a calf sucked my engagement ring off my finger. I opened her mouth but couldn't see it, phoned the Vet for advice and he said to put her into a small pen and check her dung. Needless to say I was watching for her to dung like a hawk. She passed it the next morning after her feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A ring came out her ring ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Took mine off after honeymoon and haven’t it had on my finger since... will be married 5 yrs tomorrow mite stick it on for the Craic if I can find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I borrowed the two rings for our wedding, the one I got for the wife wouldn't fit her on the alter so I promised her a new one. We are over ten years married now and none of us got one since even though she does mention it from time to time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Have worn safety glasses making shoes before, the physical nature of the task and the heat involved makes it damn near impossible to keep them from steaming up. And in a shoeing competition where time is tight enough wiping the steam out of them only happens once before they are fired away.

The sparks flying from hot steel being forged are many times bigger and heavier than a spark from a grinder and they tend to fall to the ground rather than fly about.

I suppose if you get into the habit of wearing safety glasses from the start they're easier to tolerate.

I reckon the lad in the video making the rose is only an actor, sure the beard is way too short for a start, and he has his thumb down along the handle of the hammer as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Bullocks wrote: »
    I borrowed the two rings for our wedding, the one I got for the wife wouldn't fit her on the alter so I promised her a new one. We are over ten years married now and none of us got one since even though she does mention it from time to time!
    How did ye manage to get by that after with all the family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

blue5000 wrote: »
    I suppose if you get into the habit of wearing safety glasses from the start they're easier to tolerate.

I reckon the lad in the video making the rose is only an actor, sure the beard is way too short for a start, and he has his thumb down along the handle of the hammer as well.

The way he holds the hammer is common enough, among farriers anyway, the thumb provides great control for the detailed work. Heavy swinging is a different grip altogether

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Took mine off after honeymoon and haven’t it had on my finger since... will be married 5 yrs tomorrow mite stick it on for the Craic if I can find it!

Like I tell herself when I get a bit of grief for not wearing it, if I needed a ring to remind me I'm married, I shouldn't be married in the first place.

It's working so far:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Like I tell herself when I get a bit of grief for not wearing it, if I needed a ring to remind me I'm married, I shouldn't be married in the first place.

It's working so far:D

I’ve had mom on near straight for 24years now.
    Except for 9months waiting for my finger to heal, climbing down scaffold on brothers house, swinging down between two levels, caught ring and gave finger a good pull, bruised and cut most of the way round. Ring straightened out ok.

I’m a sucker though and it’s back on again.

A ring came out her ring ;)
    "Diamonds" was a black LMx and went on to be one of the most prolific suckler cows that I had. She put her other ring out on her 7th calving after we pulled a calf that was coming backwards and upside down. The Vet was called and put all the bits in and she went back in calf and produced another five or six live calves afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

When I proposed, I offered her a ring fence around a field or a ring on her finger. She chose on her fInger. -€5500 later, another €700 for a wedding ring and she never wears them- she works in a swimming pool and never bothers with them.

As for me I always said with work I wouldn’t wear one so spent €150 on a silver ring and it’s somewhere in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

enricoh wrote: »
    Theres an add on at the minute for aib i think it is with a young one attacking the kitchen units with a sledge. She has the goggles on but nearly decapitates herself!
    They're backing brave!

Seen that one. She looks like she has no idea what to do with that sledgehammer and is more likely to take herself out than the kitchen units. Not a great advert for whatever they're flogging lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Once you get used to the safety glasses they are no problem. You certainly wouldn’t pick up a grinder and do the ole “squint eyes” again.

Trick is to have a good pair and mind them. Clean them correctly and they won’t cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A few actually have told me ya. There are plenty taking it. You are burying your head in the sand if you think otherwise. Maybe not the older generation of farmers but there's plenty of the younger generation at it. I only said it a few weeks ago on another thread that it's rampant around here.
    It was on the Ciara Kelly show on Newstalk today about the drugs endemic in rural Ireland and everywhere.
    There was a drugs counsellor in the monaghan Cavan region who is basically giving up as the problem is so out of hand. Then there was a west cork search and rescue operative or along those lines stating how the problem is so bad that people don't care anymore about declaring their use of cocaine and how it's so mainstream.
    The common theme between the two callers is the use is phecking up people's mental health and if you go on any drugs you're basically ruined for life. The easiest choice would have been to never start in the first place.

There was a good frank interview with jockey Paddy Merrigan last night on "Off the Ball."
    He goes through how he started on cocaine after leaving racing and how he nearly succumbed to suicide.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/paddy-merrigan-interview-919453

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Odelay wrote: »
    Once you get used to the safety glasses they are no problem. You certainly wouldn’t pick up a grinder and do the ole “squint eyes” again.

Trick is to have a good pair and mind them. Clean them correctly and they won’t cloud.

Brother is building a house and got him a face mask with filters in it and and proper pair of decent goggles. Cost 50 quid but he took out the filters after a couple of hours and he said the amount of dust that came out of them was unreal. He nearly got caught early on cutting steel so has learned the lesson 're goggles as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

It was on the Ciara Kelly show on Newstalk today about the drugs endemic in rural Ireland and everywhere.
    There was a drugs counsellor in the monaghan Cavan region who is basically giving up as the problem is so out of hand. Then there was a west cork search and rescue operative or along those lines stating how the problem is so bad that people don't care anymore about declaring their use of cocaine and how it's so mainstream.
    The common theme between the two callers is the use is phecking up people's mental health and if you go on any drugs you're basically ruined for life. The easiest choice would have been to never start in the first place.

There was a good frank interview with jockey Paddy Merrigan last night on "Off the Ball."
    He goes through how he started on cocaine after leaving racing and how he nearly succumbed to suicide.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/paddy-merrigan-interview-919453

I don't follow racing and never heard of that fella before but it was a very good interview. His life completely spiraled out of control until he found himself standing on a railway line. Seems to have turned himself around fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Base price wrote: »
    How did ye manage to get by that after with all the family and friends.

Don't think anyone really paid much heed. I certainly didn't anyhow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement