Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yellow rainfall warning for Kerry to Mayo this evening, 30-40mm expected.

Stay safe, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

emaherx wrote: »
    I've always had long hair, keep it tied back with a baseball cap on when working on machines. Biggest safety issue I find is the wedding ring, I take if off for a lot of jobs but the amount of times I've got if caught in something doing relatively simple tasks.

I haven't worn my wedding ring for nearly 20 years - first couple of years never took it off until I got it caught while fencing, that finished me with rings for good! Do have long (ish) hair that is always kept tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I had to go into Belfast city centre to pick something up early this morning at the 'farmers' market. I got there about quarter past seven, no parking spaces outside but I knew a street nearby where everyone parks their cars and leaves them there for the day while they're working.
    It was beside the main train station and there's also big hardcore area that was previously used as a full time car park, but seemed to be unused this morning with only a handful of cars in it. I thought maybe everyone parks on the street first and then when there is no parking left they park in this area. Gates were wide open and there were a couple of folk getting out of their cars.
    Anyhow, I dandered over to the market, picked up what I needed and straight back to the carpark, all within five minutes max.

Bit steel gates closed and chained together and no sign of any security guards or anything. Looked about for notices of who owned the site but found a small sign saying this contractor had applied glysophate and if there were any issues ring them. Rang them and the girl in the office said they didn't own the car park, I rang the rail company they said they didn't own the car park and they didn't know who did.
    I looked in the boot of the car, found a tow rope, reversed up the car looped it through their gates and over the towbar and shot forward like something out of the Italian Job.

Lets put it like this, i wasn't late for work. Fcukers. I was raging. Moral of the story, always carry a bit of rope with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The owners of the carpark are now asking house to house about the whereabouts of a Mr. Antrimglens. :rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My brother and his co-workers arrived one morning at the entrance gates to their work site, to find a broken tow rope on the gate and another one attached to an abandoned door of a van,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Muckit wrote: »
    Lovin' that light fitting! That should be in guntering thread!! Blue and Nek could rustle up a few for us!!

€770 plus €19 for the bulbs in a light shop in ennis.
    All in from China including taxes €180.
    My OHs grandmother owned the singer and we flew it from Oz. It looks well set up.

Nostalgia - I love the converted old SINGER sewing machine - or it it incorporated in there somewhere ?

No it’s still fully functioning. I need to get a belt for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have to say.
    The cattle that are in are happier looking than the ones that are out.

Second group will have access to the shed from tomorrow so they can choose in or out for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Have to say.
    The cattle that are in are happier looking than the ones that are out.

Second group will have access to the shed from tomorrow so they can choose in or out for themselves.

Most of my lot have been in for nearly 2 months at this stage - feels like it hasn't stopped raining in the west since August:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

https://twitter.com/csen_nomads/status/1190003691681509376?s=20

There's a short video clip in the above link of making a booley hut.
    Booleying was the act of moving cattle to rough grazing for the summer or the winter. In the clip he mentions in one part of the country it was traditional for teenage girls to do the job but in other parts it was boys who had the job and buachaill actually means cow minder. Bo being irish for cow.

There's booley's in every county in Ireland.
    In my own county you've Boleybawn. Bawn being an area where the cattle were kept.
    Then you've Slieve Bawn where cattle going by the name must have been wintered or summered.
    So get out and find your booley's and bawn's folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,665 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reading in the journal there of a county Clare farmer who was attacked by his vasectomised bull. He was very lucky. A split second was all it took for the bull to turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭148multi

https://twitter.com/csen_nomads/status/1190003691681509376?s=20

There's a short video clip in the above link of making a booley hut.
    Booleying was the act of moving cattle to rough grazing for the summer or the winter. In the clip he mentions in one part of the country it was traditional for teenage girls to do the job but in other parts it was boys who had the job and buachaill actually means cow minder. Bo being irish for cow.

There's booley's in every county in Ireland.
    In my own county you've Boleybawn. Bawn being an area where the cattle were kept.
    Then you've Slieve Bawn where cattle going by the name must have been wintered or summered.
    So get out and find your booley's and bawn's folks!

Slieve Bawn or Sliabh Bághna (meaning "Mountain of Bághna", ancient Firbolg chieftain) is a mountain in County Roscommon,
    Now there was one buachaill that used to cross it for summer grazing ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sky Christmas is one of the sky movie channels now. Fecks sake

visatorro wrote: »

Christmas lists being written here at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Tileman

Was letting the rams off with the ewes today.
    Got quite a surprise when I was walking through the ewes. Apparently a ram got there already 5 months ago. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Tileman

Tileman wrote: »
    Was letting the rams off with the ewes today.
    Got quite a surprise when I was walking through the ewes. Apparently a ram got there already 5 months ago. 😀

This time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

visatorro wrote: »

Howaya grinch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Reggie. wrote: »
    Howaya grinch

Bet your counting down the days before she'll let ya treat yourself to some new toy for xmas!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone have their advent calendars got?

Anyone have their advent calendars got?

I have a wooden one with 24 little drawers. I write a thing to do in each day . Could be something boring like talk irish or make pancakes. Or it might be go to a hotel.... have done it this 5 or 6 years and they look forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    I have a wooden one with 24 little drawers. I write a thing to do in each day . Could be something boring like talk irish or make pancakes. Or it might be go to a hotel.... have done it this 5 or 6 years and they look forward to it

Fair play
    I’ll stick to the chocolate
    OH would like the wine one

Fair play
    I’ll stick to the chocolate
    OH would like the wine one

There's a cosmetic one in marks and Spencer for €399. Wtf. How much is the wine one? Think aldi have one

Watching Frozen for the first time. It's actually not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emaherx

Watching Frozen for the first time. It's actually not bad

Lucky you we've seen it 500,000,000 times. The joys of having a 2.5 year old, she wanders around the house singing the songs.

Been through all that. Barney, bear in the big blue house, telly tubbies.tractor tom..thankfully now on to football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emaherx

Bern through all that. Barney, bear in the big blue house, telly tubbies.tractor tom..thankfully now on to football

I had too!....... Then 8 years later she decided we needed another one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bet your counting down the days before she'll let ya treat yourself to some new toy for xmas!:p

Too late

Just let it go.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ya could have said no:D

• Advertisement