Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

April through to August? My reasoning being that summer grazers and 7 month retention men would be activity looking for livestock units for grass and beef prices are usually highest in late spring/ early summer. From now until Christmas is probably the worst time imo, the sucker and dairy farmer is offloading culls before the winter, beef prices are way back and the finisher has to either store them over or finish out of the shed which is high cost. The marts here in the North West are full of cows and will be for the next few weeks, I'd say cows are back nearly €200 a head in the last 3 weeks although that nearly always happens at this time of year. I know that's not much help to you with cows to sell at the moment.

Well 3 of them have a few calves so I can hold onto them. I’ve enough silage so can hold. Might offload in April. Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Well 3 of them have a few calves so I can hold onto them. I’ve enough silage so can hold. Might offload in April. Thanks for that.

If you have adequate fodder, shed space and they'll rear the calves on for a few months then it's probably the best decision to hold them until nearer the spring time. The trade should be better, you'll hopefully have good weanlings to keep or sell off them and the cows might do a bit of a thrive especially if there smaller lower maintance types.

As I've outlined above it's not an ideal time of year to sell cows from now on but usually there's fodder, space or monetary constraints that mean they have to go. Keeping dry cow's over the winter isn't usually worthwhile imo unless your prepared to feed them and kill out of the shed or keep them after turnout and finish off grass. This is especially important if they'll be competing with other stock for fodder or grass, you'd be better sell them and concentrate on the incalf's/ cow's and calves in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ffs. I'm going to have to start carrying the gun at night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ffs. I'm going to have to start carrying the gun!!

Has he any damage done yet? I'm gone very soft in my old age and can't shoot them unless they do a bit of harm first. We have no hens or ducks at the minute so I suppose I'm not noticing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bullocks wrote: »
    Has he any damage done yet? I'm gone very soft in my old age and can't shoot them unless they do a bit of harm first. We have no hens or ducks at the minute so I suppose I'm not noticing much.

No damage but we have hens & it'd only be a matter of time with him being so brazen. Didn't like the way he snarled at the cat either, and if something did happen to either hens or cat I'd be kicking myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

No damage but we have hens & it'd only be a matter of time with him being so brazen. Didn't like the way he snarled at the cat either, and if something did happen to either hens or cat I'd be kicking myself.

I shot a fox years ago that was coming into a neighbours place. He was coming in around the sheds and eating from the cattle troughs. The neighbour didn't mind too much until the fox took to fight with his house dog. A little pom type thing. He nearly killed the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

New: Our Yorkshire Farm on now, Channel 5

Sky 105, repeat 1 hr Sky 205

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Our hens were cleared out during the day by mr fox 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sister next door had hens but the fox took em even the second batch she had a proper little hen house and the feckers managed to knock off the catch on the door. Don't see em around the yard here, the dog here has killed a couple. Didn't believe it until I caught him in the act one night, had previously found two healthy looking foxes dead in the fields around the yard, didn't know what had happened em.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Daughter was playing with her chickens in back garden one afternoon.
    She came on for her dinner and was watching them out the window.

Fox came into back garden at 4pm and took one.

She jumps up shouting “the wolf, the wolf has a chicken”, at 8 she ran after the fox but nothing only a trail of feathers.

Feckers, He must have been hit by a car afterwards as I saw him in the field with a nasty hind quarter injury and then he was gone, I presume he died from the injury.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Sister next door had hens but the fox took em even the second batch she had a proper little hen house and the feckers managed to knock off the catch on the door. Don't see em around the yard here, the dog here has killed a couple. Didn't believe it until I caught him in the act one night, had previously found two healthy looking foxes dead in the fields around the yard, didn't know what had happened em.

What kinda dog do you have? We use to have a collie that use to chase them but never killed 1. Lad here now doesnt even bother sentin after them.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    What kinda dog do you have? We use to have a collie that use to chase them but never killed 1. Lad here now doesnt even bother sentin after them.

He's a collie x gsd, great dog in fairness takes no notice of kids or cow's, fond of the odd rabbit if he's bothered alright. Follows me out to the field but doesn't bother with the cow's just wanders around. 8 years old now but wicked fast, he caught a hare this year before I could call him off but id say it was an old one, looked shook enough. Doesn't go after foxes much anymore I'd say, his snout doesn't have much scratches on it these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What is the best month to sell empty/cull cows.

April.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What is the best month to sell empty/cull cows.

Not going by Kanturk Mart.

One has to calculate the cost of wintering her as well but they were cheap today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

housed the weanlings yesterday, had 7 left on the outfarm & I went to collect them this morning, left the jeep running on the road while i opened the gate and a second gate a little further in ,

1 of the collies was in the jeep and when I came it was fully locked up with the keys in the ignition , a lady passed walking a golden cocker spaniel and the dog must pushed the lock button while looking out the window at them , :mad:

to make it worse my phone was also inside also & had walk to a neighbour's to ring home for spare keys, he immediately hopped in his jeep and went for them himself,

just thinking back all the long distance haulage I did over the years usually with a canine passenger & could have easily got "locked up" a couple of hours from home

live and learn ,no harm done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Our hens were cleared out during the day by mr fox 3 weeks ago.

My hens were cleaned out by my own sheep dog. Got him put down

orm0nd wrote: »
    housed the weanlings yesterday, had 7 left on the outfarm & I went to collect them this morning, left the jeep running on the road while i opened the gate and a second gate a little further in ,

1 of the collies was in the jeep and when I came it was fully locked up with the keys in the ignition , a lady passed walking a golden cocker spaniel and the dog must pushed the lock button while looking out the window at them , :mad:

to make it worse my phone was also inside also & had walk to a neighbour's to ring home for spare keys, he immediately hopped in his jeep and went for them himself,

just thinking back all the long distance haulage I did over the years usually with a canine passenger & could have easily got "locked up" a couple of hours from home

live and learn ,no harm done

I happened to bump into a first cousin of mine in town one day, he was locked out of the jeep and was considering breaking the back window to gain entry. His eldest daughter was a toddler at the time and was home sick from the creche so had spent the day with him. Having carried her into the post office he came out and strapped her into the front seat and absent minded handed her the keys to occupy herself with while he walked around to the drivers side. Before he made it to the door the central locking clicked closed, she'd hit the lock button on the keys.

Luckily the child hadn't panicked and was still holding the keys when I arrived and I suggested talking to her through the closed window in an attempt to get her to unlock the doors. She was having great fun clicking the lock button but eventually discovered there was another button and the doors unlocked. Her relieved father snapped the door open and disaster and a window repair was averted. As above there was no harm done but it's simple it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I happened to bump into a first cousin of mine in town one day, he was locked out of the jeep and was considering breaking the back window to gain entry. His eldest daughter was a toddler at the time and was home sick from the creche so had spent the day with him. Having carried her into the post office he came out and strapped her into the front seat and absent minded handed her the keys to occupy herself with while he walked around to the drivers side. Before he made it to the door the central locking clicked closed, she'd hit the lock button on the keys.

Luckily the child hadn't panicked and was still holding the keys when I arrived and I suggested talking to her through the closed window in an attempt to get her to unlock the doors. She was having great fun clicking the lock button but eventually discovered there was another button and the doors unlocked. Her relieved father snapped the door open and disaster and a window repair was averted. As above there was no harm done but it's simple it can happen.

Same thing happened here, three weeks in a row. Two Skoda’s and a Toyota.

They Toyota’s are awful easy to get into if ya wanted to.

Same thing happened here, three weeks in a row. Two Skoda’s and a Toyota.

They Toyota’s are awful easy to get into if ya wanted to.

A man locked the keys in a Mitsubishi canter Friday night at work and 2 of us managed to gain entry armed with only a penknife and a welding rod. The penknife was used to wedge the door out from the cab and the welding rod took the place of a wire coat hanger. It wasn't the first time it had been attempted on the lorry as someone had put a screw into the tab for opening the door to allow it to be gripped by a hook which made everything so much easier.

Another time a local character broke the key in the door of an ancient Toyota avensis (I don't know why he bothered locking it as there didn't seem anything worth stealing in it). He was dead set on putting a stone through the window but I discovered the boot wasn't locked and a few kicks drove the rotten back seats down allowing access to the rear doors. The remaining nub of the key was enough to start it and I wouldn't think he ever got around to getting a new key cut since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ha! A buddy of mine can beat those stories.

This lad locked his keys into his car. Now, he would often have a very odd train of thought and wouldn’t be one to ask for help or advice.
    First thing he did was pull on the door handle with all his strength. Door handle came off in his hand and he landed on his arse.
    He was getting a bit vexed so grabbed a cordless drill and the largest steel bit it would take. Five minutes later he had a series of 13mm holes drilled around where the door handle used to be. I’m not sure what he expected to happen, but the door opening wasn’t the result.
    The next plan was to break the fly/corner window by the rear door, reach in and unlock the door. In fairness this was a good plan. However his arm wasn’t long enough to reach the unlock button nor the inside door handle.
    He then had to break the big window on the door and finally got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The mother locked the keys in to the car 30years ago in Mallow

Guard was passing and saw she was freaking out, so he radioed in and a squad car came with a local scobe ten minutes later, he opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Heard of a door being locked in the local community hall and not sinner to be had with a key.
    Someone had the idea of getting a local 'expert' who happened to have the nickname Keyhole. Door was opened in less than a minute.

Twice had car keys locked in here, once in a Mitsubishi colt took about 2 mins to get in and in a Passat took half an hour with the Passat, both cars over 10 yrs old at the time. Fecking vw can get notions of there own at times. Remember years ago at a match in the Gaelic grounds keys got locked into the carina e before the match, we went away to the match and came back, dad broke the small window and we went off, winning the match made it an easier pill to swallow

davidk1394 wrote: »

Ah thats really annoyin. Sorry about your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ah thats really annoyin. Sorry about your dog.

I don't think that i'd put him down for that if he was good,, there's a dog here that'd give hens a run for their money, she only missed a pheasant by an inch on their walk yesterday,

wrangler wrote: »
    I don't think that i'd put him down for that if he was good,, there's a dog here that'd give hens a run for their money, he only missed a pheasant by an inch on their walk yesterday,

Same as that. My old dog killed one , hens are Dads and i got a call the dog has to go.

He got politely told that the hens will be going full stop. The dog didnt ever touch another. 😂

Same as that. My old dog killed one , hens are Dads and i got a call the dog has to go.

He got politely told that the hens will be going full stop. The dog didnt ever touch another. ��

Ah yea, mines only 5 and full of divilment so it's mainly boredom since I retired, I walk about five miles every morning and she does about fifty miles

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I remember years ago my uncles dog followed him from the outfarm to our farm and killed all my mother's hens.....

whelan2 wrote: »
    I remember years ago my uncles dog followed him from the outfarm to our farm and killed all my mother's hens.....

There's few errant dogs, just errant owners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

davidk1394 wrote: »

I doubt he was any use on the farm if you put it down for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement