Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

1373 wrote: »
    I doubt he was any use on the farm if you put it down for that

Yeah, he wasn't much good to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Increasing cash flow on suckler/beef farms.

I generally sell weanlings in Autumn and Spring.

However as the summer can be quite tight for cash.

I’m considering holding onto a few weanling to sell in the summer June/July time.

I know the way beef is at the moment but in previous years would there be much demand for strong weanling heifers around June/July in the marts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

josephsoap wrote: »

I’m considering holding onto a few weanling to sell in the summer June/July time.

I know the way beef is at the moment but in previous years would there be much demand for strong weanling heifers around June/July in the marts ?

It's almost impossible to say what will work going forward with regards to the beef industry.
    I used to sell Autumn born weanlings in June/July time for the last few years. Carnew mart always had an export weanling sale for e & u grades at that time but with the way the trade is for cica 400kg stock at the moment it is hard to know will this system still turn a few bob. Export quality beasts used get a rob at that time of year but that all changed the summer just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Hard to know from year to year but usually prices peak in March/April and you could keep them until July or even August /September and not get any more for them even though they'll be a good bit heavier.
    The best customer out there is the farmer buying in March/April for summer grazing i reckon.
    Sell in the spring and hide the money from the missus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Put brand new blanket/jacket on my old mare this morning. I've been expecting her to die as she is well over 30 years old, I was holding off getting a new coat for her, but she is in great form. Once I figure out how to do it - will put up a pic.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    you could keep them until July or even August /September and not get any more for them even though they'll be a good bit heavier.
    The best customer out there is the farmer buying in March/April for summer grazing i reckon.
    Sell in the spring and hide the money from the missus:D

This is very true, thanks tanko probably better letting them off in March/April as usual.

Yes the missus does be intrigued by the farm account alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

KatyMac wrote: »
    Put brand new blanket/jacket on my old mare this morning. I've been expecting her to die as she is well over 30 years old, I was holding off getting a new coat for her, but she is in great form. Once I figure out how to do it - will put up a pic.
    I'm sure she will love it especially with all this rain. There is nothing better than seeing a horse rugged up warm and dry in ****e weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You're hardly interested in a foray into the white vermin? There's no fortune to be made at the sheep and plenty of work but perhaps a small flock lambing around Patrick's day might help cash flow from lamb sales in early to mid summer. However this isn't enough of a sole reason to get into sheep, you're either interested or not and if not steer well clear.

Cattle of all sorts are usually in short supply at that time which should help the trade but I don't know if they'll be significantly dearer than the spring time. However keeping a few for sale at that time would at least boost the bank balance at what's a slack time of year.

You're hardly interested in a foray into the white vermin? There's no fortune to be made at the sheep and plenty of work but perhaps a small flock lambing around Patrick's day might help cash flow from lamb sales in early to mid summer. However this isn't enough of a sole reason to get into sheep, you're either interested or not and if not steer well clear.

Cattle of all sorts are usually in short supply at that time which should help the trade but I don't know if they'll be significantly dearer than the spring time. However keeping a few for sale at that time would at least boost the bank balance at what's a slack time of year.

Won’t be going down the sheep road enough hardship with the sucklers :)

Yeah it’s hard to know as tanko said above the spring time is nearly always the best time to sell. I suppose having cash coming in at the spring time as least spreads the cash flow a small bit ....there was a time I used to sell everything in the autumn :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I came across this article and it doesn't look that there will be any improvement in the future unless a whistle blower comes to the fore.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/europe-seeks-evidence-of-cartel-in-irish-beef-industry-506594

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have to shave a heifer’s head
    I’ve not done this before
    Do you have the comb touching the face or do you give a little clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Went for a forest walk yesterday and saw four red squirrels in an hour.

And a total first for me I was stood watching one in a tree and it was calling out to another a few trees away.

Had never thought that squirrels made sounds ever before, how stupid of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have to shave a heifer’s head
    I’ve not done this before
    Do you have the comb touching the face or do you give a little clearance

Is this for the fatstock?? Don't do it as an amateur, it needs actual correct clipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is this for the fatstock?? Don't do it as an amateur, it needs actual correct clipping!

Yea for fatstock
    How far before show is best to clip head?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Yea for fatstock

Try it on a normal cow first if ya want,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No damage but we have hens & it'd only be a matter of time with him being so brazen. Didn't like the way he snarled at the cat either, and if something did happen to either hens or cat I'd be kicking myself.

A couple years back a big dog fox took an orange tabby from the yard. The screams of the cat was what alerted me to what was happening. And to any who might say 'ah sure he was only hungry' - there was plenty of rabbits and other food to be had around. The fox didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yea for fatstock

I got mine done 2 days before the show last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Reminds me of when our father used to cut our hair, when we were young - 'Shur, how hard can it be?'

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reminds me of when our father used to cut our hair, when we were young - 'Shur, how hard can it be?'

Look at the money we'll save.....my brother did his friends hair with no blade. His mother nearly killed my brother . She said he looked like a traveller ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First thought was Patsy as a boy :D
    lGdvK5V.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a field on the other side of a main road here separate from the main block.
    To bring a current from the mains electric fence I was running a cable over the road between two trees.
    The trouble is I could never get the cable up quite high enough to prevent breakage from high loads on the road and being trees they sway and the cable would break.
    So to do a lifetime job, I concreted two steel poles into tractor tyres. It's 25ft high so there should never be any interference.
    I've the cable going through a quarter inch water pipe and up and over.
    Anyway I just had a neighbour walk underneath it and she remarked how it's a fine job and how she couldn't get over it.

It's the little things that make it all worthwhile. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's a field on the other side of a main road here separate from the main block.
    To bring a current from the mains electric fence I was running a cable over the road between two trees.
    The trouble is I could never get the cable up quite high enough to prevent breakage from high loads on the road and being trees they sway and the cable would break.
    So to do a lifetime job, I concreted two steel poles into tractor tyres. It's 25ft high so there should never be any interference.
    I've the cable going through a quarter inch water pipe and up and over.
    Anyway I just had a neighbour walk underneath it and she remarked how it's a fine job and how she couldn't get over it.

It's the little things that make it all worthwhile. :)

We've had our ESB meter pulled outa the porch twice in my lifetime, there's always some bo...cks that'll chance a high load and they usually go at night not to get caught and they have no hope of seeing the wires

wrangler wrote: »
    We've had our ESB meter pulled outa the porch twice in my lifetime, there's always some bo...cks that'll chance a high load and they usually go at night not to get caught and they have no hope of seeing the wires

I was going to go 20 but when I put the pole up against the eircom poles it was just the same. So I added on another 5 ft to be sure.
    If there is a high load going near that it'll be taking out the broadband and telephone cables before the electric fence cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well of course she couldn't!! Unless of course she was a pole vaulter! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Well of course she couldn't!! Unless of course she was a pole vaulter! :D

Ta Da. I'm here all day. ;)

I was going to go 20 but when I put the pole up against the eircom poles it was just the same. So I added on another 5 ft to be sure.
    If there is a high load going near that it'll be taking out the broadband and telephone cables before the electric fence cable.

Is it a boreen? Better option is to go under. Dig a trench on one side the width of road and a hole on the other. Use heavy wall 3" steel tube and weld a point on it. Push it through with track machine, then cut off point. Thread your water/ elec fence through. Back fill.

Ta Da. I'm here all day. ;)

I was never much good at hurling, but when the slliotar is thrown up, twud be a shame not to pull on it!!

Muckit wrote: »
    Is it a boreen? Better option is to go under. Dig a trench on one side the width of road and a hole on the other. Use heavy wall 3" steel tube and weld a point on it. Push it through with track machine, then cut off point. Thread your water/ elec fence through. Back fill.

No it's a main road. Water pipes on both sides and broadband cable somewhere on one side underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

No it's a main road. Water pipes on both sides and broadband cable somewhere on one side underneath.

Sure dig away. What's the worst that could happen ;)

• Advertisement

cjpm wrote: »
    Sure dig away. What's the worst that could happen ;)

No boards.ie for the village.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement