Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The BIL is very sick at moment- it has the mother driven crazy. I just stopped her from burning rubbish near the hay barn. (We don’t burn rubbish normally) lucky I was home from work. She proceeded to half ignore me/half not listen to me.

I had to come away or I’d loose it. Have to work on a retirement speech for a colleague. Let some of the other brothers deal with her today. Had already texted the younger brother to start callin more.

My MIL is coming next week for 7 weeks and OH booked in for skylight job in 10 days and no3 will be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There's a field on the other side of a main road here separate from the main block.
    To bring a current from the mains electric fence I was running a cable over the road between two trees.
    The trouble is I could never get the cable up quite high enough to prevent breakage from high loads on the road and being trees they sway and the cable would break.
    So to do a lifetime job, I concreted two steel poles into tractor tyres. It's 25ft high so there should never be any interference.
    I've the cable going through a quarter inch water pipe and up and over.
    Anyway I just had a neighbour walk underneath it and she remarked how it's a fine job and how she couldn't get over it.

It's the little things that make it all worthwhile. :)

We used to bale and truck allot of straw, maybe 40k bales a year most years.

So, during the time when Meath & Dublin we’re always slugging out r the football finals Meath was awash with bunting across every town.

It’s all possible we built catcher bales on the top to catch the buntings, very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First thought was Patsy as a boy :D

More like;

280?cb=20180507074936

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    We've had our ESB meter pulled outa the porch twice in my lifetime, there's always some bo...cks that'll chance a high load and they usually go at night not to get caught and they have no hope of seeing the wires

Drilling under the road is a good job

The BIL is very sick at moment- it has the mother driven crazy. I just stopped her from burning rubbish near the hay barn. (We don’t burn rubbish normally) lucky I was home from work. She proceeded to half ignore me/half not listen to me.

I had to come away or I’d loose it. Have to work on a retirement speech for a colleague. Let some of the other brothers deal with her today. Had already texted the younger brother to start callin more.

My MIL is coming next week for 7 weeks and OH booked in for skylight job in 10 days and no3 will be here.

Will 3 be the limit?

• Advertisement

Will 3 be the limit?

I’m getting the brake lines cut.

They advise as she had 3 sections to have no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

A neighbour of mine had seven sections.

If she’s having a section they can tie the tubes in the same procedure

tanko wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine had seven sections.

No thanks

If she’s having a section they can tie the tubes in the same procedure

Originally the plan and it booked in but her GP today said that’s better to snip me. Less side effects.

https://twitter.com/ethicalfarmIE/status/1192894759922221057?s=20

https://twitter.com/ethicalfarmIE/status/1192886316452716549?s=20

Not sure if twitter links work for non twitter folks but each time I see these tweets I think “tic toc” time is running out on live shipping being accepted practice.

The in the second someone has tagged a bunch of animal rights and vegan groups both legit and extremists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ethicalfarmIE/status/1192894759922221057?s=20

https://twitter.com/ethicalfarmIE/status/1192886316452716549?s=20

Not sure if twitter links work for non twitter folks but each time I see these tweets I think “tic toc” time is running out on live shipping being accepted practice.

The in the second someone has tagged a bunch of animal rights and vegan groups both legit and extremists.

If you makes you feel any better the same types are outside greyhound races and I believe starting on horse races and no doubt going to be after the hunts next.

I hear the Waterford boys regularly confuse the hell out of em.

Cutting their dole off would cure a lot of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Any one the Martin O’Connors sale of incalf heifers tonight ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23251571

He used to get great money for his stock - what was the trade like today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

josephsoap wrote: »

Fantastic beasts.

Danzy wrote: »
    Fantastic beasts.

Yes they are powerful animals.

I would be weary about such muscle beasts though.....would you have any trouble calving such muscled heifers ?

If you makes you feel any better the same types are outside greyhound races and I believe starting on horse races and no doubt going to be after the hunts next.

I hear the Waterford boys regularly confuse the hell out of em.

Cutting their dole off would cure a lot of their worries.

Why would it make me feel better ?

I think yes, many of the people involved in these protests are layabout extremists with too much tome and trying to have a crusade to give themselves self worth. When the year grow up their lives and the focus will change.

But, be under no disillusion, the vegan movement reach far into places of influence, thus we are seeing policy to teach kids in school to question their consumption of beef and dairy, that wasn’t inserted by someone on the dole, it would be very foolish to think these people have no influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Yes they are powerful animals.

I would be weary about such muscle beasts though.....would you have any trouble calving such muscled heifers ?

I wouldn't fancy it anyway, they're all pretty fat.
    You'd wonder if a lot of them would have any milk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    Why would it make me feel better ?

I think yes, many of the people involved in these protests are layabout extremists with too much tome and trying to have a crusade to give themselves self worth. When the year grow up their lives and the focus will change.

But, be under no disillusion, the vegan movement reach far into places of influence, thus we are seeing policy to teach kids in school to question their consumption of beef and dairy, that wasn’t inserted by someone on the dole, it would be very foolish to think these people have no influence.

It reflects more on our ourselves when we do give such time to what they post and come up with.

Sadly there's more of this crap going mainstream.
    RTE almost daily have some cute crap about some animal or invertebrate, etc on Twitter to get the views and retweets.
    It's sublimely turning people into pansy corporate led dumbasses, a shadow of who we once were and how we knew how to live.

Meanwhile there's more unrest globally with the divide between rich and poor never being as large with the rich funding campaigns and using force by any means to get what they want and nobody gives a toss. But show a bunny getting hurt and there's outrage..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The battery on the tractor has been dodgy for a while. Planned on getting one this evening. Decided to drop in a bale with it first and it ran out of diesel after a few mins. Some job bleeding it with a dodgy battery. Got it going after about 30 mins of messing with small car batteries I had for the fencer. Talk about bad timing.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

The battery on the tractor has been dodgy for a while. Planned on getting one this evening. Decided to drop in a bale with it first and it ran out of diesel after a few mins. Some job bleeding it with a dodgy battery. Got it going after about 30 mins of messing with small car batteries I had for the fencer. Talk about bad timing.

It’s the season to test bad batteries. Change them now before the frost hits them. Trying to stretch out a bad battery for another few months ain’t worth it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've never been as it always clashes with work but it seems to be a sort of circus with the clown's outside the ring. Them heifers seem to get dearer every year and it looks to me like a competition as to who can buy the dearest one. I'm of the opinion that putting O'Connor's name on the board would put a few hundred on any springer simply due to the fact they were his. Fair play to him he puts in the effort and has cornered his market, will we see the 5k barrier broken this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I've never been as it always clashes with work but it seems to be a sort of circus with the clown's outside the ring. Them heifers seem to get dearer every year and it looks to me like a competition as to who can buy the dearest one. I'm of the opinion that putting O'Connor's name on the board would put a few hundred on any springer simply due to the fact they were his. Fair play to him he puts in the effort and has cornered his market, will we see the 5k barrier broken this year?

4750 was got anyhow possibly higher.

https://m.facebook.com/tricia.kennedy.165/videos/3750757078283330/?_ft_=mf_story_key.2707262939332025%3Atop_level_post_id.2707262939332025%3Atl_objid.2707262939332025%3Acontent_owner_id_new.854702607921410%3Aoriginal_content_id.3750762871616084%3Aoriginal_content_owner_id.100000472248921%3Athrowback_story_fbid.2707262939332025%3Apage_id.854702607921410%3Aphoto_id.3750757078283330%3Astory_location.4%3Aattached_story_attachment_style.video_inline%3Apage_insights.%7B%22854702607921410%22%3A%7B%22page_id%22%3A854702607921410%2C%22actor_id%22%3A854702607921410%2C%22dm%22%3A%7B%22isShare%22%3A1%2C%22originalPostOwnerID%22%3A3750762871616084%7D%2C%22psn%22%3A%22EntStatusCreationStory%22%2C%22post_context%22%3A%7B%22object_fbtype%22%3A266%2C%22publish_time%22%3A1573247592%2C%22story_name%22%3A%22EntStatusCreationStory%22%2C%22story_fbid%22%3A%5B2707262939332025%5D%7D%2C%22role%22%3A1%2C%22sl%22%3A4%2C%22targets%22%3A%5B%7B%22actor_id%22%3A854702607921410%2C%22page_id%22%3A854702607921410%2C%22post_id%22%3A2707262939332025%2C%22role%22%3A1%2C%22share_id%22%3A0%7D%5D%7D%7D&__tn__=%2As-R

Hope this link works - definitely a circus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

orm0nd wrote: »
    4750 was got anyhow possibly higher.

He got 5k for one. Madness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It'll take €5,500 next year to get the cheer, even Cox gets excited selling the dearest one. I hope she's very lucky for whoever bought her and that he comes back for more next year. I'd be certain that after the hammer fell some smart arse told him "she's for nothing at it!"

Washing the heifer and noticed a bit of a horn
    It’s an inch in length
    What’s the best and cleanest way to remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyone with experience of the PTO Macgen 40kW generator?

Thinking of getting one for power outages

Edit: fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Washing the heifer and noticed a bit of a horn
    It’s an inch in length
    What’s the best and cleanest way to remove it?

You sure it's a heifer?:D

You sure it's a heifer?:D

Sadly the horn is on top of the head
    Going to have to change from Caustic gel

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Housed the cattle today. Some day if clipping and lice treatment. Grass set up for spring. Hopefully less than 4 months housed if the spring is anyway fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gozunda wrote: »
    Anyone with experience of the PTO Macgen 240kW generator?

Thinking of getting one for power outages

240kw, are you running a small housing estate or a factory?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement