Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to a good head torch please. One that is also suitable for running

Not sure about suitable for running, have an Lef Lenser one here on the shopping list.
    I think MuckIt has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AIB I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'll post again in case y'all missed it, go back a few posts and listen to Devenish's bit on the radio today.
    It effects everyone of ye.

Maybe ye prefer listening to George or Leo or Cara though and have something to give out about for later on?

Will listen to your link tomorrow. Brain has shut down at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Anyone got a link to a good head torch please. One that is also suitable for running

I've this one ...

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/led-lenser-seo7r--led-rechargeable-headlamp/p-e09180

It's a serious bit of a lamp. I generally use it in full beam , there's great light off it. It needs to be charged regularly though.

I've also a cheap one from Lidl , it has a red light on the back of it . I think I'd prefer the rear red light if I was gonna be out on the roads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Led Lenser - MH6 or MH10.
    Seriously powerful, Great warranty, replacement battery available after a few years, and tough as old runners :)

https://www.huntingandfishing.ie/?s=Led+Lenser&post_type=product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'm not watching RTE this week as its mostly George Lee inspired BS and Hysteria

I have the misfortune to be watching it and spending most of my time correcting the inaccuracies in the programme. Does anybody actually check that the fluff they broadcast is even remotely related to fact?

Water John wrote: »
    Will listen to your link tomorrow. Brain has shut down at this stage.

Ah go on. It's ten minutes long and it's what you're banging on about ..re.. soils and grazing and hedgerows and carbon sequestration and buying 400 acres to produce nutritionally dense food and being independent and U.S. helicopters going over the farm with lidar to measure carbon and leaving the teagasc tossers behind to their dribble bars and protected urea and Sitka spruce and icos.

I promise I will, just chilled out here listening to Creedo spinning the tunes.

Water John wrote: »
    I promise I will, just chilled out here listening to Creedo spinning the tunes.

Has he played ..The Bird is the Word..yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Led lenser h7r.2 rechargeable model. Recharge it every night this time of year. Have it about 5 years now. couldn't recommend enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Oisin Coughlan could have educated himself at biofarm19.

Or is he simply anti animal farming end of story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

I'll post again in case y'all missed it, go back a few posts and listen to Devenish's bit on the radio today.
    It effects everyone of ye.

Maybe ye prefer listening to George or Leo or Cara though and have something to give out about for later on?

Good piece, #hotair did sfa on that really, it only makes money for farmers and sequesters carbon in soil forever, so no builders to interview and no pots of money for hangers on.

Good piece, #hotair did sfa on that really, it only makes money for farmers and sequesters carbon in soil forever, so no builders to interview and no pots of money for hangers on.

The only issue I had with it especially after hearing Christine Jones. Is they mention using lime to bring up the pH to get the biology going.
    Now if you were at Biofarm you'd know from hearing the speakers and of John Cronin's project is that it's biology that raises the pH. They kind of put the chicken before the egg there and needlessly promoted lime spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Reduced as a percentage but a increase in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I have the misfortune to be watching it and spending most of my time correcting the inaccuracies in the programme. Does anybody actually check that the fluff they broadcast is even remotely related to fact?

Actual unbiased climate scientists like Prof Ray Bates of TCD don't get a look in as they would blow a lot of the Hollywood type Armageddon nonsense out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Oisin Coughlan could have educated himself at biofarm19.

Or is he simply anti animal farming end of story?

He reminds me of "Beaker" from the muppet show - nearly as annoying as Eamon Ryan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

some runners find that too good a head torch when running dazzle oncoming drivers and use weaker ones instead. It might depend on whether he is running on dark byroads or under street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I bought a scangrip led head light in Feb 2017 so that I could check the calves at night without turning on the lights in the shed. It isn't a directional light but has a broad/wide angle beam with two settings - low and high. It cost €80 at the time so it wasn't cheap but has lasted till now considering the batteries have be recharged several times since then.
    https://www.scangrip.com/en-gb/products/work-lights/headlamps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://youtu.be/ras_VYgA77Q
    Beware its 2 hours.
    And then you can fall down like a defcon YouTube hole like I did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/products/xms-ledlenser-iseo-5r-rechargeable-headlamp-180-lumens.html#ProductTab1

Came in as it's snowing outside.
    Say My Name listened to the Devenish piece, really interesting. That is the type of research needed. Sadly, Teagasc aren't at the races, even the research at UCD is hamstrung.

Hello my name is "Say my name".
    What? No it's not Fred. And I have a problem.

20191113-104021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The great Niall Tóibín has passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS-tcF-aXrw&lis
    t=RDh3CM3PFGdJM&index=15

Unintended Prophetic pronouncement, at the end of the clip, by Gay Byrne

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The great Niall Tóibín has passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS-tcF-aXrw&lis
    t=RDh3CM3PFGdJM&index=15

Unintended Prophetic pronouncement, at the end of the clip, by Gay Byrne

Despite his tendencies to repeat similar material and subjects I always found something spell binding about Tóibín's comedy. I could watch it over and over and still laugh at the punchline. His delivery and demeanor was always on point and totally representative of the characters he portrayed. Every character could be related to and we all knew someone like that in the sketch, his ability to remain so dead pan and serious while discussing the often ludicrous showed just how talented he was as a preformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

The father got a new iPad so I'm thinking of repurposing the old one to the yard to use for herdwatch etc. Any recommendations for a shockproof/ water-resistant/ dirt proof cover it does such a thing exist?

Hello my name is "Say my name".
    What? No it's not Fred. And I have a problem.
    ]

Have to say I'm on the fourth chapter and it's a very easy read.
    She's a typical Kiwi full of toughness.
    The first few chapters detail her life on a holding in New Zealand before moving to Hong Kong with her pilot father. And then suffering from illness caused by walking barefoot in HK. And then her long journey to wellness by eventually being treated by a doctor in NZ who got struck off by how he treated her. And all the while being a single mother in NZ.
    And now her life has changed she travels the world with her horse giving advice to farmers.

So far it's very good and easy for even the diehard of farmers journal readers to understand..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The father got a new iPad so I'm thinking of repurposing the old one to the yard to use for herdwatch etc. Any recommendations for a shockproof/ water-resistant/ dirt proof cover it does such a thing exist?

Probably an otter box would be the best but I'm not sure if you can get it for an Ipad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Probably an otter box would be the best but I'm not sure if you can get it for an Ipad

I think ya can or something similiar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement