Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

The father got a new iPad so I'm thinking of repurposing the old one to the yard to use for herdwatch etc. Any recommendations for a shockproof/ water-resistant/ dirt proof cover it does such a thing exist?

Just Google iPad Survivor Case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone looking for a chop saw?
    Evolution 12 inch sliding chop saw
    Cheapest it's ever been on Amazon. Same thing is €260 in Woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The opening of the Organic Scheme for 4 weeks is turning into a political disaster.
    225 farmers applied and 55 only were accepted, so 25% success.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/over-75-of-applications-rejected-in-organic-farming-scheme/

What will this look like to the EU?
    I am one of those who didn't get in. If I had a larger farm I would have been accepted.
    Drew up a plan with my advisor, joined a Certifying Authority, did the training course. Over €1K spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Anyone looking for a chop saw?
    Evolution 12 inch sliding chop saw
    Cheapest it's ever been on Amazon. Same thing is €260 in Woodies

I'll have to get it at that price. I have almost every other tool but a 300mm chop saw was always outta my price range

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    The opening of the Organic Scheme for 4 weeks is turning into a political disaster.
    225 farmers applied and 55 only were accepted, so 25% success.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/over-75-of-applications-rejected-in-organic-farming-scheme/

What will this look like to the EU?
    I am one of those who didn't get in. If I had a larger farm I would have been accepted.
    Drew up a plan with my advisor, joined a Certifying Authority, did the training course. Over €1K spent.
    I wonder do the current organic farmers have a good representative that is able to pull strings in the dept?
    I was at a few walks this year (just to get a sense of what was what) and the thing that terrifies the current farmers now is the market being flooded.

Maybe that's crap and it's just the dept playing silly beggars so they don't have to pay out anything extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See the taxman robbed my bank account over night....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »

Yea, I was chatting to the dogs on the walk :D about that this morning, a lot of change here over the last two year and now I have a big tax bill which I'm allergic to, If I lodge money into my pension before the end of the year will it be credited against that bill.
    A bit weird I know feeding a pension at 67 but I made up my mind that I wouldn't cash it until Cap reform took my Entitlements, Delighted now to hear at the hustings that CAP is going to be rolled over for another two years. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Listen to RTE radio's Drivetime today's program from 20 minutes in.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11113418

Private I'll repeat private, not linked to government or government policies, ..company Devenish had a contribution to today's program.

Very good piece, thanks for the link, I only became aware of the project at Biofarm last week.
    Funny comment really plantains which, seed heads apart, are very palatable. The liming would seem to be a Band aid, as again I've recently been educated at Biofarm, it won't do any massive harm as a once off but I hope they've left an untreated control plot.
    Dept nd Teagasc are afraid of their life to look at soil carbon as they're afraid of what they might find, ie decline under promoted "blueprint" systems.

Very good piece, thanks for the link, I only became aware of the project at Biofarm last week.
    Funny comment really plantains which, seed heads apart, are very palatable. The liming would seem to be a Band aid, as again I've recently been educated at Biofarm, it won't do any massive harm as a once off but I hope they've left an untreated control plot.
    Dept nd Teagasc are afraid of their life to look at soil carbon as they're afraid of what they might find, ie decline under promoted "blueprint" systems.

It wouldn't make any difference if they had a control plot if it was under grass getting no matter to feed the biology, the pH would stay just the same.
    If they have the multi species in a control plot with no lime then maybe it might come up.

You were asking before about biostimulants. And really that's what's needed especially if only on grass.
    That book I posted about a few posts back she goes into all of them. And if you're pH is low spray on a solution with seawater to raise it. You'll have the benefits of the extra microbes and added minerals.
    I've also found out why my sward last year got hammered when I went out with milk and molasses. In the book she states how the milk feeds and increases bacteria exponentially. I had a sward bombing away on it's own with barely any fert applied. The whole fields were covered in mushrooms. The hyphae of the fungi were feeding the grass. When I went out with the milk I wrecked the fungi:bacteria ratio and this year in those fields there wasn't a mushroom to be seen. I think I may have killed the fungi? It's become a hungry ground as a result. But the positive is I know what to do now and how to remedy it.

There's nare talk of soil carbon from teagasc as the higher up are old school and haven't a clue about soil life only what they learned in college about needing the npk indices off the scales.
    If you say to them soil life is nitrogen for plants they'd probably have the men in white coats after you.

There's innovative farmers on thefarmingforum on the holistic thread some of whom have grown their soil carbon to the lengths of those soil penetrometers all the while while grazing stock over head.

Now that's definitely over the heads of the teagasc npk college boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

whelan2 wrote: »

Oh well, at least it’s going to a good cause and won’t be wasted.

• Advertisement

The criteria for the new organic entrants was skewed towards dairy and tillage. I have no problem with that. Organic lamb and to a lesser extent beef are plentiful.
    It's where the simple farm size was a critical factor in getting in, I have a serious problem with.
    Suppose we told all farmers with under a certain acerage that you are not elegible for any grants, ANC or BPS. That's what in effect what has been done.

It wouldn't make any difference if they had a control plot if it was under grass getting no matter to feed the biology, the pH would stay just the same.
    If they have the multi species in a control plot with no lime then maybe it might come up.

You were asking before about biostimulants. And really that's what's needed especially if only on grass.
    That book I posted about a few posts back she goes into all of them. And if you're pH is low spray on a solution with seawater to raise it. You'll have the benefits of the extra microbes and added minerals.
    I've also found out why my sward last year got hammered when I went out with milk and molasses. In the book she states how the milk feeds and increases bacteria exponentially. I had a sward bombing away on it's own with barely any fert applied. The whole fields were covered in mushrooms. The hyphae of the fungi were feeding the grass. When I went out with the milk I wrecked the fungi:bacteria ratio and this year in those fields there wasn't a mushroom to be seen. I think I may have killed the fungi? It's become a hungry ground as a result. But the positive is I know what to do now and how to remedy it.

There's nare talk of soil carbon from teagasc as the higher up are old school and haven't a clue about soil life only what they learned in college about needing the npk indices off the scales.
    If you say to them soil life is nitrogen for plants they'd probably have the men in white coats after you.

There's innovative farmers on thefarmingforum on the holistic thread some of whom have grown their soil carbon to the lengths of those soil penetrometers all the while while grazing stock over head.

Thanks for the book link, there's gurus popping up everywhere!
    Yeah I meant a multispecies control sward as, according to Christine Jones, it should bio- regulate the soil conditions once there's enough species. I wonder how far have they gone with species numbers and the proportions of grasses: legumes: forbs & herbs.

What rate did you dilute and apply the milk at the did the damage?
    Was it seaweed or seawater or what had the field buzzing in the first place?

Water John wrote: »
    The criteria for the new organic entrants was skewed towards dairy and tillage. I have no problem with that. Organic lamb and to a lesser extent beef are plentiful.
    It's where the simple farm size was a critical factor in getting in, I have a serious problem with.
    Suppose we told all farmers with under a certain acerage that you are not elegible for any grants, ANC or BPS. That's what in effect what has been done.
    Industry led is the expression I think, its a disgraceful carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sums up the problems with Teagasc - until the dead wood is removed we will make little progress on such things:(

Industry led is the expression I think, its a disgraceful carry on.

Since we joined the EU, every scheme since the milk quota, there was a line drawn and if you were one side you were made up and the other side you were ****ed, it'll never be any different.
    To be fair they couldn't let everyone in, same as milk quota or it'd **** it up for the chosen few.
    Have to say there's a few Organics doing a great job, they'd be in ICM the days we're there and they're lambs are exemplary, anything less is diverted the conventional route.......... that's my view of it anyway

What rate did you dilute and apply the milk at the did the damage?
    Was it seaweed or seawater or what had the field buzzing in the first place?

This was a field that last year I ploughed and reseeded last year. Now that'd be a no no for most. But then I ploughed down a long sward of grass that got no glyphosate. But it did get slurry before ploughing. It got 5t of basalt and 3t of cal lime tilled in and then the drought hit. And I nearly gave up on it but spread dirty water and it came into a mass of weeds which actually covered the grass underneath. And they were topped and then any regrowth got an undersow spray.
    Then I got two cuts of silage off it and it was a mass of mushrooms between cuts and before the second cut it got a seaweed spray.
    Then after the second cut in oct/Nov I sprayed on milk and molasses. I'd say it was 40litres of milk in a 600 litre tank at 100 litres/acre. With about 10 litres of molasses in that.

Now there was fertilizer spread as well but not that much. But it was green and flying before the milk and molasses and yellow after.
    The milk was from high cell count cows that may have been treated a while before that so that could have had a bearing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really laughed today.

Was making a coffee in a filling station. Traveller couple at the till amd their shopping came to €78 including diesel.

Just as they are paying he asks the lady to hold on while he takes cash out of the in store atm.

He comes back and proceeds to pay, but the cash is dud and the lady spots it straight off amd hands it back to him.

He starts shouting about how he’s just taken it out of the machine and it wasn’t his fault when she pointed out that she’s watched him and he hadn’t taken anything out of the atm amd that cctv would show that.

Lucky enough he remembered he had proper money just then and paid with that before exiting swiftly.

Have to say, it wasn’t the worst ruse I’d seen tried, but she seemed well ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've a dud €20 in my wallet. Handed it in at Tescos one day and the till lady said it was a dud. Don't know where I picked it up. Not sure what to do with it. Might hand it in at a 3 card trick some day. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

_Brian wrote: »
    Really laughed today.

Was making a coffee in a filling station. Traveller couple at the till amd their shopping came to €78 including diesel.

Just as they are paying he asks the lady to hold on while he takes cash out of the in store atm.

He comes back and proceeds to pay, but the cash is dud and the lady spots it straight off amd hands it back to him.

He starts shouting about how he’s just taken it out of the machine and it wasn’t his fault when she pointed out that she’s watched him and he hadn’t taken anything out of the atm amd that cctv would show that.

Lucky enough he remembered he had proper money just then and paid with that before exiting swiftly.

Have to say, it wasn’t the worst ruse I’d seen tried, but she seemed well ready.

You don't be long learning when you're in that job.

Probably the giveaway part was the claiming to have a bank account and card..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Really laughed today.

You can’t say that....sure you’re a racist now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I've a dud €20 in my wallet. Handed it in at Tescos one day and the till lady said it was a dud. Don't know where I picked it up. Not sure what to do with it. Might hand it in at a 3 card trick some day. :rolleyes:

Imagine all the dairy cross bull calves you'll be able to buy with it next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    You can’t say that....sure you’re a racist now...
    I’m not a racist, I am a snob.
    Can’t stand the whinging of people in poor conditions who made and continue to make no efforts to better their lives. That includes travellers and a host of other “groups” in Ireland that the bleeding heart media would have us feeling guilty over.

I’m not a racist, I am a snob.
    Can’t stand the whinging of people in poor conditions who made and continue to make no efforts to better their lives. That includes travellers and a host of other “groups” in Ireland that the bleeding heart media would have us feeling guilty over.

Some would say that effort today was an attempt to better their lives by €78.

I'm told some dealerships still take cash for new vehicles as well.
    Not to mention all the other businesses that still take cash in large amounts in this country and our near neighbour. There's money laundering businesses built on paying in cash for goods and selling on those goods to the public at often reduced prices to the normal retailers. Which then goes on the books.

Anyways another private individual who's putting their money where their mouth is and showing the way in Regenerative Farming.
    Note cows and sheep on the farm.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-30/al-gore-says-regenerative-farming-can-help-slow-climate-change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Anyways another private individual who's putting their money where their mouth is and showing the way in Regenerative Farming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-30/al-gore-says-regenerative-farming-can-help-slow-climate-change

His old Boss Bill had a few Sucklers as well.

Irish football is in some mess. England are 4-0 up against their Mickey Mouse team. Ireland are 0-1 down against their Mickey Mouse team that haven’t played together in over 500 days.... and they’re playing at home. Christ it’s dismal.

The question has to be asked, what percentage of the world is taking Climate Change seriously or is just that the government have sacrificed the irish as the whipping boy again, same as the bailout.
    See how proud the families tonight or RTE were of the fact they hadn't eaten meat or milk in the last week and teh praise they got.

wrangler wrote: »
    The question has to be asked, what percentage of the world is taking Climate Change seriously or is just that the government have sacrificed the irish as the whipping boy again, same as the bailout.
    See how proud the families tonight or RTE were of the fact they hadn't eaten meat or milk in the last week and teh praise they got.

That was appalling alright. Looking at the ingredients used and feck all were produced in Ireland. Oat milk ffs.

Odelay wrote: »
    That was appalling alright. Looking at the ingredients used and feck all were produced in Ireland. Oat milk ffs.

And there doesn't seem to be any science to say that the information is wrong

• Advertisement

Good art in today's Farm Exam by the Editor.
    Basically a recalculation by NZ of cattle emissions. This is correctly based on the fact that they largely produce methane which has a life of 10 years and simply reproduce the emissions of previous cattle to the environment. It is not a cumilative effect.

'
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/farming/new-zealand-sets-lower-targets-for-methane-reduction-963903.html

Cannot remember the ration of grasses, legumes and herbs from Cristine Jones. Will post it when I get Conf notes. Something like 55%, 35% and 10% but could be very wrong.
    Some speakers spoke of a wide number of species, one meadow up to 200.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement