Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, I was chatting to the dogs on the walk :D about that this morning, a lot of change here over the last two year and now I have a big tax bill which I'm allergic to, If I lodge money into my pension before the end of the year will it be credited against that bill.
    A bit weird I know feeding a pension at 67 but I made up my mind that I wouldn't cash it until Cap reform took my Entitlements, Delighted now to hear at the hustings that CAP is going to be rolled over for another two years. :cool:

Is that voluntary contributions?
    Got hit with a bill myself, I’d rather it beef the pension than feed the taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The question has to be asked, what percentage of the world is taking Climate Change seriously or is just that the government have sacrificed the irish as the whipping boy again, same as the bailout.
    See how proud the families tonight or RTE were of the fact they hadn't eaten meat or milk in the last week and teh praise they got.

I haven't watched any of RTE this week on the climate exchanges bar only listening to the clip on radio 1 from the devenish interview. And that was only brought to my attention on Twitter.
    So I haven't been outraged or influenced.

Here it is again for posterity.
    It's even labelled zero carbon farming and with some dietary advice at the end of the clip.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21655205

With all the bluster there are other countries actually doing something positive from a carbon perspective. Ireland is doing nothing atm. No emphasis on public transport. No looking at making cities car free. There has been growth in wind power for renewable energy but much much more could be done.

The talk of diet and planting forests for hedge funds and demonizing livestock production is child's talk that a 5 year old might come out with.
    I tend to pay no attention to such idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Late debate on rte radio now on about us

Water John wrote: »
    Good art in today's Farm Exam by the Editor.
    Basically a recalculation by NZ of cattle emissions. This is correctly based on the fact that they largely produce methane which has a life of 10 years and simply reproduce the emissions of previous cattle to the environment. It is not a cumilative effect.

'
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/farming/new-zealand-sets-lower-targets-for-methane-reduction-963903.html

Cannot remember the ration of grasses, legumes and herbs from Cristine Jones. Will post it when I get Conf notes. Something like 55%, 35% and 10% but could be very wrong.
    Some speakers spoke of a wide number of species, one meadow up to 200.

Any mention of methane from fracking and rice production in the Examiner? :pac:

Fracking has been THE ONE cause of the increase in methane detected in our atmosphere since fracking began. And even if it stops there'll still be leakage of methane from those sites not to mention the pollution of groundwater and yet the attention is on cows not fracking.
    And worse still this government is actively rewarding use of fracked gas by building a terminal in Kerry to take U.S. gas. It won't be subject to planning but forced through "in the national interest".

It'd serve the government better to forget about importing fracked gas and instead put the money into anaerobic digestion and producing our own carbon neutral gas that could be used for electricity and as a transport fuel for the haulage industry.

But this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is that voluntary contributions?
    Got hit with a bill myself, I’d rather it beef the pension than feed the taxman

I thought the dairy farmers on here might know whether I can reduce that bill at this stage,after all the tax is being paid based on last years accounts.

• Advertisement

I thought the dairy farmers on here might know whether I can reduce that bill at this stage,after all the tax is being paid based on last years accounts.

Income averaging any use to you?

Income averaging any use to you?

Averaging already, ironically income is rising since I gave up farming, there's not the same opportunity t spend money now, I've entitlements leased without land so not tax free, I'd put it into my pension now to keep revenues greasy hands off it if it was any use

Averaging already, ironically income is rising since I gave up farming, there's not the same opportunity t spend money now, I've entitlements leased without land so not tax free, I'd put it into my pension now to keep revenues greasy hands off it if it was any use

I've nothing else.

Maybe contact the IFA or Pat Smith?

I've nothing else.

Maybe contact the IFA or Pat Smith?

I'll be going to accountant thanks, very often farmers know more tricks than accountants
    Especially accountants that wouldn't have many farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Put some income into an EII.

• Advertisement

I'll be going to accountant thanks, very often farmers know more tricks than accountants
    Especially accountants that wouldn't have many farmers

And a good accountant will tell you a month or two months before years end of what tax liability you could be facing.

And a good accountant will tell you a month or two months before years end of what tax liability you could be facing.

To be fair he did, but seeing it out of the bank account brought it home like Whelan.
    Even the dogs were annoyed :D

And then to listen to the news where Lumney had to take the beating he got before the guards got out the finger to protect him.
    That's the value we get for our taxes .....pfft :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

As I'm often told once you get the file in early enough!

Mooooo wrote: »
    As I'm often told once you get the file in early enough!

I'll probably let it go now but, like my school reports used to say ''must do better'' from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx#

The cut off was 31 October. That is pushed out to the ROS cut off which was last Tuesday, but it was extended to the weekend because of computer problems in revenue.
    It's possible that today might be the last day to make a top up payment but you are cutting it very fine in both time and interpretation, with the extension of the extension. It is always at the discretion of the tax inspector as well and subject to max % of your income capped at 115,000. So the max total eligible pension contribution for someone over 60 is 46,000.

The dogs might be as knowledgeable as an accountant as to whether it would be accepted unless something similar happened in the past.

You could make the payment and let the accountant argue it out with revenue, worst that can happen is it will be rejected. The top up would then fall into next year's tax computation. Will you have the same income next/this year?

I assume you have filed a MED1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

“ You may pay a once-off or special pension contribution after the end of a tax year, but before the following 31 October. If you do, you can choose on or before 31 October, to have the tax relief for the contributions allowed in the earlier tax year. When you use the Revenue Online Service (ROS), the deadlines for paying contributions and making this choice are extended. https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

Using ROS - It doesn’t state the date that it is extended to by paying the once off contribution using ROS, might be worth your while checking it out sooner rather than later.

It's another minefield of rules and regulations, when it comes to drawing down these pensions (ARF).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

“ You may pay a once-off or special pension contribution after the end of a tax year, but before the following 31 October. If you do, you can choose on or before 31 October, to have the tax relief for the contributions allowed in the earlier tax year. When you use the Revenue Online Service (ROS), the deadlines for paying contributions and making this choice are extended. https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

Using ROS - It doesn’t state the date that it is extended to by paying the once off contribution using ROS, might be worth your while checking it out sooner rather than later.

It's another minefield of rules and regulations, when it comes to drawing down these pensions (ARF).

THanks, I've a few options, might try a EII, they've been alright for me in the past.
    I get notifications of Jamie Heaslips schemes, anything is better than the banks.
    If it's a waste of money, at least I get to choose where to waste it rather than the PS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

https://m.facebook.com/events/kepak/shut-down-kepak-protest-fri-15th-november-2019/567446090399989/

Just passed Kepak, loads of Guards around, no sign of any protesters yet, guess they need their sleep to keep energy levels up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

emaherx wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/events/kepak/shut-down-kepak-protest-fri-15th-november-2019/567446090399989/

Just passed Kepak, loads of Guards around, no sign of any protesters yet, guess they need their sleep to keep energy levels up! :D

Probably waiting to finish their shifts at work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

Avns1s wrote: »
    Probably waiting to finish their shifts at work!

Doubt many of these activists have jobs. Working would be an infringement of their human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do you ever read agriland, farmers journal etc. And realise their posts come straight off boards

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you ever read agriland, farmers journal etc. And realise their posts come straight off boards

It's a case of 'You heard it here first'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had my aga cooker off last night as it was being serviced this morning. Fairly cold without it. Would miss the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had first mince pies of the season last night. Tiz a fair run between now and January to bulk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭einn32

Saw a guy using an excavator to harvest his potatoes. Tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

About half the crop will store well with 1/3 put into store wet or damaged (won’t store at all) and they reckon 15-20 won’t/ isn’t worth saving as spuds will have absorbed too much water and will breakdown to a slimy mess if not used asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Just seen a pic of that Kepak protest on the page linked earlier - 12 turned up it seems (plus the one holding the camera I assume)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

From your corner store to your super market, we call on the house to incentivise and obligate the installation of glass doors on open refrigerators
    2. For Ireland to ban the importation of fracked gas and invest solely in renewables.
    3. Implementing measures that will allow that Irish goods be both eco- sustainable and affordable in todays' Irish Market.
    4. Implement a tiered Tax on Emissions from large companies including those under capital ETS. This tax must be increased every year while threshold decreases, shifting the burden from individuals to corporations.
    5. Investment in industrial hemp facilities to provide a viable, sustainable and alternative land use for farmers as well as employment in rural Ireland.
    6. A labelling and pricing system showing the climate impact of food products based on criteria such as impact of packaging and distance travelled.
    7. Ireland to outlaw acts of ecocide – being the widespread and systematic loss of ecosystems, including climate and cultural damage.
    8. Protect existing forests and make compulsory that at least 10% of all land owned for agricultural uses is dedicated to forestry.
    9. A targeted nationwide Information campaign to educate the population about the climate crisis regarding the causes, the effects and the solutions.
    10. Mandatory "Sustainability" education from primary level to the workplace including a new compulsory Junior Cycle & optional Leaving Certificate subject.

Number 8 there is enough trees and hedgerows around the farm already thanks but no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had my aga cooker off last night as it was being serviced this morning. Fairly cold without it. Would miss the heat

There’ll be a six page pullout special on AGA cookers in the journal next week 👀

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement