Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

Just seen a pic of that Kepak protest on the page linked earlier - 12 turned up it seems (plus the one holding the camera I assume)

There were more Gardaí there than that this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I says wrote: »
    From your corner store to your super market, we call on the house to incentivise and obligate the installation of glass doors on open refrigerators
    2. For Ireland to ban the importation of fracked gas and invest solely in renewables.
    3. Implementing measures that will allow that Irish goods be both eco- sustainable and affordable in todays' Irish Market.
    4. Implement a tiered Tax on Emissions from large companies including those under capital ETS. This tax must be increased every year while threshold decreases, shifting the burden from individuals to corporations.
    5. Investment in industrial hemp facilities to provide a viable, sustainable and alternative land use for farmers as well as employment in rural Ireland.
    And what exactly is the end product that's going to be made from all this hemp?
    6. A labelling and pricing system showing the climate impact of food products based on criteria such as impact of packaging and distance travelled.
    7. Ireland to outlaw acts of ecocide – being the widespread and systematic loss of ecosystems, including climate and cultural damage.
    I'm assuming all large scale housing development will be outlawed under this also?
    8. Protect existing forests and make compulsory that at least 10% of all land owned for agricultural uses is dedicated to forestry.
    9. A targeted nationwide Information campaign to educate the population about the climate crisis regarding the causes, the effects and the solutions.
    10. Mandatory "Sustainability" education from primary level to the workplace including a new compulsory Junior Cycle & optional Leaving Certificate subject.

Number 8 there is enough trees and hedgerows around the farm already thanks but no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

What would the planners do then if they can’t ruin rural towns and villages with plenty of houses and no services for them. Promoting car use because all these lovely houses build in the back of beyond,
    that would be no good for the environment now would it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

All dug thank god. Good few lads in serious trouble.
    All the chipping spuds come from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

From your corner store to your super market, we call on the house to incentivise and obligate the installation of glass doors on open refrigerators
    2. For Ireland to ban the importation of fracked gas and invest solely in renewables.
    3. Implementing measures that will allow that Irish goods be both eco- sustainable and affordable in todays' Irish Market.
    4. Implement a tiered Tax on Emissions from large companies including those under capital ETS. This tax must be increased every year while threshold decreases, shifting the burden from individuals to corporations.
    5. Investment in industrial hemp facilities to provide a viable, sustainable and alternative land use for farmers as well as employment in rural Ireland.
    6. A labelling and pricing system showing the climate impact of food products based on criteria such as impact of packaging and distance travelled.
    7. Ireland to outlaw acts of ecocide – being the widespread and systematic loss of ecosystems, including climate and cultural damage.
    8. Protect existing forests and make compulsory that at least 10% of all land owned for agricultural uses is dedicated to forestry.
    9. A targeted nationwide Information campaign to educate the population about the climate crisis regarding the causes, the effects and the solutions.
    10. Mandatory "Sustainability" education from primary level to the workplace including a new compulsory Junior Cycle & optional Leaving Certificate subject.

Number 8 there is enough trees and hedgerows around the farm already thanks but no thanks

No.6 there would put serious pressure on Avacados and other trendy hyper processed Vegan alternative foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oh drew alot of green potatoes to the north in September and october as they weren't sure about Brexit. Lucky they did as the weather turned after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Devenish were on defending farmers during the week.
    In other devenish related news https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/watch-belfast-docks-blaze-company-devenish-thanks-fire-service-for-incredible-effort-38694153.html
    Ya'd wonder how it started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    No.6 there would put serious pressure on Avacados and other trendy hyper processed Vegan alternative foods.

I read them earlier, and yeah some aren’t great. But overall I thought they weren’t a bad start at all, fair play to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Passed a self propelled grimme on tracks earlier- some bit of kit.
    The uk crop failed last year due to drought iirc, thats why prices here were so good this year.
    Jesus, 2 year of no crops, some financial hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

No.8 will have fg orgasmic, sitka spruce for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oh drew alot of green potatoes to the north in September and october as they weren't sure about Brexit. Lucky they did as the weather turned after.

What do they do with green potatoes? Can the get them edible for humans?

Odelay wrote: »
    What do they do with green potatoes? Can the get them edible for humans?

I think for chipping. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No.7 suggests they'll have to lock up heads of many state agencies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

No.8 will have fg orgasmic, sitka spruce for all!

They wont have to worry much about it after the next general election, pandering to the dublin elite that overall makes up circa 25% of dail seats while dismantling the rural vote with their climate action rhetoric will backfire spectacularly, Donald Trump won the American presidency due to getting the rural vote you'd think fg would of took note of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The rural vote has nowhere to turn
    2 sides of the same arse cheek, labour or Richard Boyd Barrett's lot or an independent

Anyone see the photos of the attempted atm robbery in my local village overnight? Would that machine have been capable of taking the atm out of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Anyone see the photos of the attempted atm robbery in my local village overnight? Would that machine have been capable of taking the atm out of the wall?

Yes, and the entire building with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Danzy wrote: »
    Yes, and the entire building with it.

Any links to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All down to the skill of the operator but yea it would do the job nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    All down to the skill of the operator but yea it would do the job nicely.

That must be a ten tonne, it'd have no problem, no skill needed there, they won't be worried about structural damage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reading that article it looks like they got the money without having to take the atm machine.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    They wont have to worry much about it after the next general election, pandering to the dublin elite that overall makes up circa 25% of dail seats while dismantling the rural vote with their climate action rhetoric will backfire spectacularly, Donald Trump won the American presidency due to getting the rural vote you'd think fg would of took note of this
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    The rural vote has nowhere to turn
    2 sides of the same arse cheek, labour or Richard Boyd Barrett's lot or an independent

Tbh I've lost interest in politics, self serving shower imo. Voted SD last time, the Donnelly decamped to FF! Probably vote for the same SD candidate again next time. Awful selection of candidates/sitting TD's in my constituency.

China will be short million tonne of meat next year.

That is much more than the top 30 beef exporters globally and includes many who sell a 1000 tonne of beef.

Hope springs eternal.

Other pork and chicken aside, an unprecedented global shortage in meat should give some lift.

What we need is China to buy a few plants here, just for its own use.

That'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

That is much more than the top 30 beef exporters globally and includes many who sell a 1000 tonne of beef.

Hope springs eternal.

Other pork and chicken aside, an unprecedented global shortage in meat should give some lift.

That'll happen.

It could very well happen.
    https://www.offalyindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/06/28/4176206-over-200-new-jobs-earmarked-for-banagher/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It doesn't mean that we will get paid more for our cattle as the Chinese market (at the minute) only wants the forequarters from under 30 month old cattle originating from farms as opposed to feedlot cattle, the rest will be dumped on the market which imo will keep prices down but I stand corrected and time will tell.
    However it is a possible saviour for FR/FRx bull calves into the future but it really depends on price/kg V input costs.

Wtf is the presenter wearing on winning streak...not Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hope springs eternal.

That'll happen.

I think China coming in buying plants would not be good...

I would be afraid they come in, buy a meat plant, then decide they will buy half the land in the country to guarantee their own supply. You hear lads around Tipp saying they can’t compete with land against the horse people. I’d be afraid of the same again...

But, I could be way off...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I would be afraid they come in, buy a meat plant, then decide they will buy half the land in the country to guarantee their own supply. You hear lads around Tipp saying they can’t compete with land against the horse people. I’d be afraid of the same again...

Yea, I was expecting them to set up their own milk and beef processing here so Banagher was no surprise.
    We had them here a few years back, one of the group was described as ''Larry Goodman multiplied by ten''

• Advertisement

That's their MO in other countries I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement