Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,409 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Car failed the NCT this morning. No surprise. Was out in it yesterday evening for the first time in a week when it was dark and noticed one dipped headlight gone. No where open to get a bulb at that stage. Plus it's a prick of a job to change (in through wheel arch, remove battery compartment, etc)
    Noticed a good few cars with only one headlight or back light working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

whelan2 wrote: »

Drives me mad, one eyed monsters is what i call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's a wind up from a Russian site.

Cow thinks she's in an open field. Ah this is lovely. Cow runs across field. Cow runs into wall. Cow dead.

My guess it was a test to see just how gullible the western media have become.

I agree but just Google it..... The results of that test are not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Plenty of them out there alright. Drives me mad too. No excuse for it really. I don't know how long it's blown on mine (less than a week anyway). Just typical luck that I'd notice it the night before the test and not be able to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone watching the programe on quarries.....no way they can enforce the law against quarries but god help you if you change a window on a house

Unbelievable stuff, your man dredging the river for sand was unreal how nobody was stopping him . These lads are digging money right out of the ground without a bother on them yet a farmer will get in bother if a bit of slurry goes out the wrong side of a date......
    How is McTigue getting licensed for blasts in a quarry that is meant to be shut down?
    There is obviously no will in the country to shut these down because one way or another a way would be found to stop these lads trading considering the size they are operating at.

• Advertisement

Plenty of them out there alright. Drives me mad too. No excuse for it really. I don't know how long it's blown on mine (less than a week anyway). Just typical luck that I'd notice it the night before the test and not be able to get it sorted

Is that all it failed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    no way they can enforce the law against quarries but god help you if you change a window on a house

Guy down the road from me in Dublin built a whole two bed house without permission. Council didn't do much to stop it. Still there, raking in the rental fee on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That quarry in Rathcoole takes beating. It's literally right beside the N7, just outside Dublin.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,308 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't know how the guy in Donegal gets by the Fisheries Board?
    Know one farmer they walked into and didn't want to leave him, milk the cows as there was a seep out of the pit.
    Another farmer had a silage slab, built to spec 12 months and they wanted him to move the pit of silage off it, there and then.

emaherx wrote: »
    Is that all it failed on?

Yep. Sure she's in great nick apart from this bit of bad luck. Got the bulb changed there. Pain in the hole job

• Advertisement

Yep. Sure she's in great nick apart from this bit of bad luck. Got the bulb changed there. Pain in the hole job

To be honest I wouldn't be too upset over that, simple visual recheck, don't think you even need to book it. Just got my 03 Defender through the DOE had to cut and weld bumper as there was a big rusty hole in it. But it flew through test, get more nervous about it every year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I thought the days of getting my name mentioned on IFJ were over .
    It's nice to be appreciated. They know who they are on here
    It's amazing how few thank you for help nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

wrangler wrote: »

Hhhmmm?

frontpagecolumbo1.jpg

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Water John wrote: »
    Don't know how the guy in Donegal gets by the Fisheries Board?

It's Donegal, corruption is rife, maybe he's paying off the guy from the Fisheries Board.
    Maybe he's told the guy from the Fisheries Board to fück off. What's he going to do about it?

As happens time and time again in Ireland, the cost of the punishment is probably far less than the rewards of the crime.

emaherx wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't be too upset over that, simple visual recheck, don't think you even need to book it. Just got my 03 Defender through the DOE had to cut and weld bumper as there was a big rusty hole in it. But it flew through test, get more nervous about it every year though.

I'm not upset over it. 1 blown bulb in 8 years isn't something to complain over. Just frustrated it happened when it did. And it's not a visual check. Because the light wasn't working, they don't bother checking for the alignment so it's a re-test, and €28

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

I'm not upset over it. 1 blown bulb in 8 years isn't something to complain over. Just frustrated it happened when it did. And it's not a visual check. Because the light wasn't working, they don't bother checking for the alignment so it's a re-test, and €28

That doesn't sound right, the alignment has nothing to do with whether any of the bulbs are working or not. I've had cars fail on a bulb not working and the retest was a visual check and was free.

tanko wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right, the alignment has nothing to do with whether any of the bulbs are working or not. I've had cars fail on a bulb not working and the retest was a visual check and was free.

How can you check the alignment of a head light if there's no light coming out of it?
    Some of the other bulbs it's just a matter or replacing them for a visual check. Such as indicator or brake light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Effects wrote: »
    How can you check the alignment of a head light if there's no light coming out of it?
    Some of the other bulbs it's just a matter or replacing them for a visual check. Such as indicator or brake light.

You're right, i took that up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭148multi

Bullocks wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff, your man dredging the river for sand was unreal how nobody was stopping him . These lads are digging money right out of the ground without a bother on them yet a farmer will get in bother if a bit of slurry goes out the wrong side of a date......
    How is McTigue getting licensed for blasts in a quarry that is meant to be shut down?
    There is obviously no will in the country to shut these down because one way or another a way would be found to stop these lads trading considering the size they are operating at.

Would any of the Co Co.s be buying product from these quarries 💶💶💶

Oh yea, I'd forgotten about alignment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Effects wrote: »
    It's Donegal, corruption is rife, maybe he's paying off the guy from the Fisheries Board.
    Maybe he's told the guy from the Fisheries Board to fück off. What's he going to do about it?

As happens time and time again in Ireland, the cost of the punishment is probably far less than the rewards of the crime.

That's true - there was another cowboy operating a vast illegal dump next to an SAC site for nearly 10 years there before local activists went to the Supreme court themselves over it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

148multi wrote: »
    Would any of the Co Co.s be buying product from these quarries ������

They were . There must be some smiling done when they got paid from the council for stone and they not meant to be quarrying :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

just looking at Ivan yates investigating the civil servant that ordered the printer for €1.8m, it requires a forklift to lift in the paper
    We're an international joke

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

You're like reggie now, with the cryptic clues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Thank god for smart phones and modern technology. Was asleep there and the phone woke me. Luckily I glanced at the screen before answering. A big long string of numbers and the callers location under it.
    Feckin Malawi.
    Goodnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ganmo wrote: »
    And messing with lights for laying hens is industry standard for years so I'm sure someone had tried 24 hour light developing the light protocols

In free range production hen houses with east facing openings take advantage of day length and available natural light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bullocks wrote: »

I would hold a bucket of salt over that RTE programme. Most of it is is pure tabloid TV. Wait for the one on farming next....

just looking at Ivan yates investigating the civil servant that ordered the printer for €1.8m, it requires a forklift to lift in the paper
    We're an international joke

When the machine was delivered it couldn't fit into the dail. Went into storage at something ridiculous like 6k a month. Was listening about it yesterday when driving. The staff will need extra money to train to use it too

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

When the machine was delivered it couldn't fit into the dail. Went into storage at something ridiculous like 6k a month. Was listening about it yesterday when driving. The staff will need extra money to train to use it too

Did the forklift come with the printer?

• Advertisement

Did the forklift come with the printer?

Not sure but many forklift would probably have bern bought in the amount they spent. Ridiculous. No accountability. Not one piece of paper has been printed yet on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement