Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sure, but I'll be dressed up as Santa :D

With the cat stuck on as a beard..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Base price wrote: »
    Our Vet showed me how to wrap the cat in a sheet/towel but imo it doesn't actually stop him getting the paws/claws out unless you are prepared to nearly choke him.
    We are on day 6 of injecting the stuff into his ears and it's getting more difficult every day.

He's a feisty one then! I've done many cats over the years and only a few times did a paw get out. I tend to use a double duvet cover if I can, folded over for thickness, drop over cats back, then do a quick twist with sheet/cover around the cats front by using my right hand & sheet up tight onto his back but under the sheet you're holding in your left hand. Keep this tight with your left elbow & fold around fully by passing the sheet in left hand to right & so forth. I basically swaddle them but it's difficult to explain:D Main thing is to try & wrap so the front legs point towards his tail, but you need to be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nipped across the border into Culloville for coal on Saturday, only 30min from home.

€12 for a 40kg bag, €6.50 cheaper than in town. 10bags home in the back of the van.
    Coal burning really well in stove.

Forgot to price kero when I was there but apparently it’s 25-30c litre cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

_Brian wrote: »
    Nipped across the border into Culloville for coal on Saturday, only 30min from home.

€12 for a 40kg bag, €6.50 cheaper than in town. 10bags home in the back of the van.

Got oil in Hoys on Saturday paid £250 I think it was 58.9 euro

Attie Ross wrote: »
    Got oil in Hoys on Saturday paid £250 I think it was 58.9 euro

Was offered the use of a 400l tank and pump that would fit in my van if I want to go for oil myself. I usually don’t bother as we only use about 1000-1200 litres a year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How much of that price difference is Carbon Tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Was offered the use of a 400l tank and pump that would fit in my van if I want to go for oil myself. I usually don’t bother as we only use about 1000-1200 litres a year anyway.

At 25c/litre difference, that’d be 100euro a go in savings...

You’d be farming a while to try to find 100euro savings as easy... :(

(But I do know it’s a hassle, and a bit of a dirty job at the same time)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How much of that price difference is Carbon Tax?

Form google, about €2:10 per 40kg bag.

At 25c/litre difference, that’d be 100euro a go in savings...

You’d be farming a while to try to find 100euro savings as easy... :(

(But I do know it’s a hassle, and a bit of a dirty job at the same time)

Downside is running into a Customs patrol and losing your tank, 1000litres of kerosene, your trailer AND paying both the duty and a fine equal to the duty....

And knowing that the Customs men were probably taking it in turns to "dispose" of the seized oil.....

Downside is running into a Customs patrol and losing your tank, 1000litres of kerosene, your trailer AND paying both the duty and a fine equal to the duty....

And knowing that the Customs men were probably taking it in turns to "dispose" of the seized oil.....

I lived next door to a customs officer in Dundalk and without a doubt his garage was stashed with booze and cigarettes. We would often watch him taking stuff from his car, and I saw onto the garage a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I lived next door to a customs officer in Dundalk and without a doubt his garage was stashed with booze and cigarettes. We would often watch him taking stuff from his car, and I saw onto the garage a few times.

Isn't that the garage you would love to see burning!

They followed my neighbour into his yard and seized the IBC of oil there.
    When he asked what would become of it he was told "Oh, we donate it to a nursing home".. he wasn't convinced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Major crash outside my gate no one killed thank god.
    Traffic backed up for the next few hours though. Avoid the road if ya can

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I says wrote: »
    Major crash outside my gate no one killed thank god.
    Traffic backed up for the next few hours though. Avoid the road if ya can

Hard to avoid without knowing the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hard to avoid without knowing the road

That would be telling :):):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭kk.man

They followed my neighbour into his yard and seized the IBC of oil there.
    When he asked what would become of it he was told "Oh, we donate it to a nursing home".. he wasn't convinced!

Your neighbour shouldn't have it in the 1st place. They may have been smart with him for asking the question; like why did he want to know, was he expecting to get it back!
    If that is true about the Custom Officer; that is disgusting and sick.

I’m not sure how accurate but I’ve been told you could also be charged with transport of hazardous materials without correct equipment documentation and training. But they would need to get an RSA officer there for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭148multi

I’m not sure how accurate but I’ve been told you could also be charged with transport of hazardous materials without correct equipment documentation and training. But they would need to get an RSA officer there for that.

There is one establishment that will give you a proper bowser to transport it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

They don't seize the coal though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,505 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any idea of a price for 16 foot gates? Need 8 of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

whelan2 wrote: »

Bought 2 in Dairygold last week 165 each for heavy duty. they work out around 10 euro a foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »

There's light medium and heavy.

€245 for heavy on Glanbia Connect.
    Priced some recently and I think they were €190 in Royal County Services in Navan.

It's definitely worth shopping around if 165 in Dairygold

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

emaherx wrote: »
    There's light medium and heavy.

€245 for heavy on Glanbia Connect.
    Priced some recently and I think they were €190 in Royal County Services in Navan.

It's definitely worth shopping around if 165 in Dairygold

They were 190 in drinagh co op,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Same gate?
    Having advertised here, Whelan, there'll be a white van towing a trailer of them in your yard in the morning. Offering a special price to you, missus.

https://youtu.be/OQT6dr6uaNk

Pasture for Life.

Wonder is his something that could be done here. It’s a massive selling point and should be easy to get clued in consumers behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Water John wrote: »
    Same gate?
    Having advertised here, Whelan, there'll be a white van towing a trailer of them in your yard in the morning. Offering a special price to you, missus.

I have heard of them offering “heavy” gates, by filling them with sand... have to admire the creative thinking.

Water John wrote: »
    Same gate?

No vat on them sir

Odelay wrote: »
    I have heard of them offering “heavy” gates, by filling them with sand... have to admire the creative thinking.

His reply is ,I was young and foolish

And if you're getting a gate for a shed, only get the one's with the full length horizontal bars and the vertical bars welded between.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/OQT6dr6uaNk

Pasture for Life.

Wonder is his something that could be done here. It’s a massive selling point and should be easy to get clued in consumers behind it.

There may be already here.

They had a presentation at Biofarm 2019 anyway. Some others may chime in though as I missed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement