Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Russ Carrington gave the presentation at the Conf. 530 members in UK. Animals aren't fed any grain. Pasture is multi species. Core point is native pasture does do equal, grasses. Grass is only a small portion of natural pastureland.
    It is certified by the Organic Trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter is part of a mini company in ty. They made chocolate chip cookie mixture in a jar and brownie mixture. The contents are dry and the person who buys it adds eggs etc. They had a trade fair last night. The ingredients and the recipe are on the label. Brother in law bought a jar of the cookie mixture. He actually weighed the jar when he went home and complained it didnt add up to what was on the label. Who actually goes to the bother of doing that????

We can choose our friends but are stuck with out relatives. Dickhead would be an appropriate label.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter is part of a mini company in ty. They made chocolate chip cookie mixture in a jar and brownie mixture. The contents are dry and the person who buys it adds eggs etc. They had a trade fair last night. The ingredients and the recipe are on the label. Brother in law bought a jar of the cookie mixture. He actually weighed the jar when he went home and complained it didnt add up to what was on the label. Who actually goes to the bother of doing that????

The type who cries having to flush the toilet they’re that mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Water John wrote: »
    Russ Carrington gave the presentation at the Conf. 530 members in UK. Animals aren't fed any grain. Pasture is multi species. Core point is native pasture does do equal, grasses. Grass is only a small portion of natural pastureland.
    It is certified by the Organic Trust.

Irish farmers can be PFLA members. The forum is meant to be worth joining, on my to do list. Spent some time with Russ Carrington on the Tuesday evening, very nice fella, very capable.

• Advertisement

Will consider it as well as I build the organic enterprise. One doesn't have to be organic to be a member TMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

I was brought up in the country but not a farmer , living in the town [not Dublin] but still love everything about the countryside, just watched a programme about a farmer in Wales who let his cows/herd roam free over a vast area, he said they are more healthy no injections etc, nobody mentioned Milking , do [lets call them wild for now] cows/herd not need to be milked ? if not why.? bet the farmers will have a good laugh at this question.

If they're sucklers they simply be feeding their own calves. Better for the grass, plants and soil if he had a bit of a rotation going and give fields a rest.

decky1 wrote: »
    I was brought up in the country but not a farmer , living in the town [not Dublin] but still love everything about the countryside, just watched a programme about a farmer in Wales who let his cattle roam free over a vast area, he said they are more healthy no injections etc, nobody mentioned Milking , do [lets call them wild for now] cattle not need to be milked ? if not why.? bet the farmers will have a good laugh at this question.

Probably suckler cattle to produce beef or breeding stock, so the calf does the milking. Different system to dairy cattle.

Roaming free isn't necessarily a great thing but I haven't seen the programme.

A lot of stock have problems bred into them by people using fixes like doses & vaccinations. Unravelling that sh1tshow will take time and great care.

If they're sucklers they simply be feeding their own calves. Better for the grass, plants and soil if he had a bit of a rotation going and give fields a rest.

I might be wrong but I got the impression they might be upland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Same gate?
    Having advertised here, Whelan, there'll be a white van towing a trailer of them in your yard in the morning. Offering a special price to you, missus.

Surely you'd want to talk to the boss if he's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I take it that it wasn't constructive feedback so?
    It depends, some people have a very precise eye for measurements and it would jump out at them if things didn't add up. I obviously don't know why the jar was short but maybe he was doing them a favour on the long run?

I take it that it wasn't constructive feedback so?
    It depends, some people have a very precise eye for measurements and it would jump out at them if things didn't add up. I obviously don't know why the jar was short but maybe he was doing them a favour on the long run?

Possibly, but he is the type to find fault with everything. Rather than saying well done girls he puts them down. Anyway such is life

Bought 2 in Dairygold last week 165 each for heavy duty. they work out around 10 euro a foot.

170 for heavy. He said 180 first and got him down to 170. Local farm shop beside the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Possibly, but he is the type to find fault with everything. Rather than saying well done girls he puts them down. Anyway such is life

They will learn from that interaction- that sometimes there is no dealing with thick.

Moladh an oige agus tiocfhaidh siad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Another stage in life,
    Getting ready for a senior citizens party.

IMG_5042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

wrangler wrote: »
    Another stage in life,
    Getting ready for a senior citizens party.

IMG_5042.jpg

I knew I recognised you from somewhere. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ah, just a pr!ck so, possibly a misogynist too!
    Well done to all it's a great idea for local Christmas fairs.

Ah, just a pr!ck so, possibly a misogynist too!
    Well done to all it's a great idea for local Christmas fairs.

They won the dragon's den type competition in their school. This gives them a free stall at a local trade fair on Sunday. They sold out of all they had made st the school trade fair the other night, so busy few days ahead getting ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They won the dragon's den type competition in their school. This gives them a free stall at a local trade fair on Sunday. They sold out of all they had made st the school trade fair the other night, so busy few days ahead getting ready.

Baling twine is a nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

It’s a very good idea. Well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Educational and fun.
    Fair play.

Looks really good, the BIL should get the few missing grams as a Chistmas present .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Looks really good, the BIL should get the few missing grams as a Chistmas present .

My sister once opened and hid my xmas presents, then rewraped and loaded my presents original packaging with coal/turf. 10/10 for effort.

I left the 5 euro over at his house that the jar cost. His jaw nearly hit the floor. Hopefully that's the end of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

My sister once opened and hid my xmas presents, then rewraped and loaded my presents original packaging with coal/turf. 10/10 for effort.

Years ago a local lad went to town and bought a pair of boots. On the way home he stopped off at the local for a few scoops and proudly showed off his boots which were still in the box. When he finally made it home he told the wife to open the box to admire his new boots. The wife opened the box to find a couple sods of turf

Local farmer was left minding his kids while his wife went to an appointment. When she got back the kids had all the Christmas toys opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Local farmer was left minding his kids while his wife went to an appointment. When she got back the kids had all the Christmas toys opened up.

One day Mom went off somewhere and left Dad to boil the potatoes and feed us. Dad took a chisel and hammer to the pot to get the lid off. I don't think he managed to open it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Years ago a local lad went to town and bought a pair of boots. On the way home he stopped off at the local for a few scoops and proudly showed off his boots which were still in the box. When he finally made it home he told the wife to open the box to admire his new boots. The wife opened the box to find a couple sods of turf

The auld lad used to work for a local business man, entrepreneur and all round character who had a tire remoulding business year's back. He has many stories about his employment but I'm reminded of one in particular by the stories of unexpected packages above. At the time there wages were done up every Thursday and each man collected his envelope in the office before going home after work.

There was one man who still lived at home with his mother (a real battle axe) and was very quiet and reserved. A few of the other lads reckoned that despite being in his 40's that he was still under the mother's thumb and that she ruled the roost. They decided to open his pay packet, remove the wages and write a note detailing that Vincent had been a very naughty boy and wasn't getting any wages that week. The reasoning being that he'd give the envelope straight to her when he went home without checking the contents. Sure enough the mammy landed in first thing the next morning not at all pleased at there joke and looking for the culprit. The offender was never found and the wages returned but there suspicions were confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement