Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7761215/amp/Actress-Rooney-Mara-tells-awful-devastating-conditions-inside-British-animal-farms.html

Well farming sure looks bad if your a non farmer.

I’ve said for a while that housed pigs and poultry is just awfully unnatural for the animals.
    I’ve been inside a handful of these units myself and didn’t like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Undercover?? Looks more like trespassing under the cover of night to me.

The rest of it is the reality of farming.
    Pic of a stillborn piglet, pic of dead pigs been stored.
    Claims of sows crushing piglets because they dont have enough room, sows with more room will actually crush more piglets.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Parishlad wrote: »
    Good stuff! I have the reading of our test tomorrow morning. Always a nervy time.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Same here

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It's a long long time since milking cows were out all year round.
    Tie up byers are around in some form at least 150 years, and before that the cow would practically have shared an end of the dwelling house/cottage.
    Young stock, yes.

Same around here, the place is also littered with enclosures, usually called fairy forts, which held cattle for almost long as they've existed here.

Out wintering is not necessary for PFLA certification, just an all forage diet.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Undercover?? Looks more like trespassing under the cover of night to me.

The rest of it is the reality of farming.
    Pic of a stillborn piglet, pic of dead pigs been stored.
    Claims of sows crushing piglets because they dont have enough room, sows with more room will actually crush more piglets.

I don’t think this is the “reality of farming” that we should be expecting.

Neither chickens nor pigs are naturally indoors animals.
    Can see signs in the poultry photos that many of the birds are struggling to stand.
    I’ve been on pig farms that don’t use crates and they say losses are minimal.

For as long as farmers rear animals in these conditions they are handing a stick to animal rights groups to beat all farmers with.

Animal welfare has to become before profit. These animals would be happier and healthier given proper space and access to our door spaces. Yes the meat will cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭tanko

Mountain vets on BBC2 looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

_Brian wrote: »
    Yes the meat will cost more.

This is where the consumer has to step up to the mark.
    You can't pay lip service to animal welfare standards , a premium product must command a premium price.

This is where the consumer has to step up to the mark.
    You can't pay lip service to animal welfare standards , a premium product must command a premium price.

Yep.
    Consumers need to get out and buy the best products and support farming methods they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Same here
    Best of luck. Hopefully a good day for us all. I couldn’t even look at the cattle tonight when I was feeding them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Last night a few of us headed up to Jim o the mills in Upperchurch. It was on the wish list for a while and we organized a bus up. A lovely spot with good pints of Guinness and good music and plenty of craic. It's well worth a visit if any of ye are ever passing nearby on a Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I told my last discussion group meeting slightly tongue in cheek that in 20 years it would be against the law to slaughter an animal , now I am sure .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I told my last discussion group meeting slightly tongue in cheek that in 20 years it would be against the law to slaughter an animal , now I am sure .

I doubt it, c. All the research coming out now and being started now is focused on carbon sequestration on grasslands and the vast majority of it is hugely positive. We are close to a tipping point where there will be more cattle and sheep needed to drive C sequestration and there has to be a end product there for them as well.

Veganism is on a high atm but that will change when the research is spread more widely.

That, and the water lapping around their ankles when they're making their breakfasts:D

Can’t see it ever being that way.
    Eating meat and animal products is an essential part of a wholesome overall diet. Veganism has it’s cycles, seems very topical now but the fact remains something like 83% of people who start a vegan diet return to a regular omnivorous diet within a year.

Veganism is latching on to climate change issues at the moment but as more and more reliable information comes out they will loose that link and so their current cycle of popularism will fade again.

Local farmer has started butchering his cattle and selling the meat from home and he has a stall in one of the local towns.
    Called in thismorning to support them.

Can’t wait to get the steaks on the pan tomorrow 🀀

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Parishlad wrote: »
    Best of luck. Hopefully a good day for us all. I couldn’t even look at the cattle tonight when I was feeding them. :(

Went clear, hope you have same results

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Local farmer has started butchering his cattle and selling the meat from home and he has a stall in one of the local towns.

Can’t wait to get the steaks on the pan tomorrow 🀀
    Fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’ve been on pig farms that don’t use crates and they say losses are minimal. .

many years ago I worked in a farrowing house
    I saw lots of sows kill the newborns and had a few close ones where they tried snapping at me rescuing the piglet
    To me the crate is like a calving gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Can’t wait to get the steaks on the pan tomorrow ��

That striploin looks well marbled . We used to kill our own when we had a bigger tribe and always found a fr hiefer the tastiest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

gozunda wrote: »

Tbh, it's pretty much as expected. Opinions matter much more than the overwhelming science that differs from the opinion.

An article about neonics but the methodology for publicity is pretty familiar to anyone here.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2019/12/05/viewpoint-how-a-small-group-of-scientists-and-pliable-media-created-a-catastrophe-narrative-that-hurts-bees-and-farmers/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think rainfall patterns have changed. Too many days and weeks with rain and no break, ground gets no rest from rain. It used to be that there would be heavy rain and then dry days.

We half out winter.
    Smaller stock have access to Dry paddocks but also have access to slatted shed for silage at the barrier. They mostly stay out, this evening in the blowing wind and rain they were in though.

I was just thinking about this this evening about not just you saying land is getting wetter in the winter, compared to years ago.

If you compare to the 60's. Tractors were smaller and lighter then. The same with stock. Fertilizer and chemical use wasn't as widespread then. Some people say phosphates and chemicals do actually harm the fungi life and aeration of the soil.

Anyways in recent days I've been reading up on lactic acid bacteria that people spray on soil and it opens up the soil and increases growth in plants. The beauty for dairy farmers, thumbs down if you're not, is that you can make it from your own milk. It occurs naturally in soil and management like the above kills it as well as the fungi.

https://blog.bolandbol.com/2017/04/24/more-knf-introducing-the-fabulous-lab-lactic-aid-bacteria/

I wonder how Muckit is getting on lately?

He's disappeared completely off here from being the most prolific poster on f&f.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I wonder how Muckit is getting on lately?

He's disappeared completely off here from being the most prolific poster on f&f.

Don't know. But no harm in a break from social media if that's the reason. Aduits getting as bad as children, but the Aduits are telling the kids off for the usage, and them as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Christening today, godparents, grand parents and our own clan. The only job. Watching Moana now for the evening.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Don't know. But no harm in a break from social media if that's the reason. Aduits getting as bad as children, but the Aduits are telling the kids off for the usage, and them as bad.

I was up for a walk up the mountain one weekend. Anyways I met a father and son on the way down with a quad bike. Same discussion turned to technology and how it's good to get out in the open. He was like yourself and said he had to get the young lad away from the social media. He was saying this while flicking away on his phone. I thought it was hilarious. I should have took a picture of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I was up for a walk up the mountain one weekend. Anyways I met a father and son on the way down with a quad bike. Same discussion turned to technology and how it's good to get out in the open. He was like yourself and said he had to get the young lad away from the social media. He was saying this while flicking away on his phone. I thought it was hilarious. I should have took a picture of him.

Perfect example alright. Boards has it uses to be sure, with this forum haveing great farming info but the likes of Facebook has its bad moments, so many aduits putting up pics of their kids etc, while knowing there's bad people on the Internet looking on, I think that some things are best kept relatively private. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I noticed it during the week alright and Sent him a message.

• Advertisement

Perfect example alright. Boards has it uses to be sure, with this forum haveing great farming info but the likes of Facebook has its bad moments, so many aduits putting up pics of their kids etc, while knowing there's bad people on the Internet looking on, I think that some things are best kept relatively private. But that's just my opinion.

Totally sincerely agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement