Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Perfect example alright. Boards has it uses to be sure, with this forum haveing great farming info but the likes of Facebook has its bad moments, so many aduits putting up pics of their kids etc, while knowing there's bad people on the Internet looking on, I think that some things are best kept relatively private. But that's just my opinion.

Agree 100%. Parents putting up pictures of children onto Facebook or Instagram need to be careful and have their profile on private.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Turned 40 this week. Still haven't managed to get a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Went clear, hope you have same results

All clear here too. Happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

What happens to the milk in a dairy herd that goes down with TB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What happens to the milk in a dairy herd that goes down with TB?

Milk from the reactors can't be sent for processing or fed to calves. Most just dry them or milk once a day while they're isolated before going to the factory.

• Advertisement

Milk from the reactors can't be sent for processing or fed to calves. Most just dry them or milk once a day while they're isolated before going to the factory.

Ok, what's done with that milk do you know? I'm guessing it could be a risk if used in a prep to land spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ok, what's done with that milk do you know? I'm guessing it could be a risk if used in a prep to land spread?

Pour it into the "dairy washings" tank.
    Or the slatted tank.
    A "risk" to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Pour it into the "dairy washings" tank.
    Or the slatted tank.
    A "risk" to whom?

I'd say he probably means a risk of it coming back and infecting the herd again through being in the soil.

If so I'd be out on that risk, wouldn't have a clue.

Edit: Probably if one was to take that risk seriously. With tb being an aerobic bacteria then such milk should be anaerobically treated to eliminate/reduce that risk.

If a few hundred gallons of milk was dangerous after being poured into seventy thousand gallons of slurry, and spread on land six months later, how is it that the meat is safe?

• Advertisement

If a few hundred gallons of milk was dangerous after being poured into seventy thousand gallons of slurry, and spread on land six months later, how is it that the meat is safe?

Only the surface of meat is aerobic.
    So it'd have to be exposed to a source as it's being cut into cuts.
    Cooking also reduces risk from bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭tanko

You're old now, get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭148multi

Another 60 before you get free beer

Only the surface of meat is aerobic.
    So it'd have to be exposed to a source as it's being cut into cuts.
    Cooking also reduces risk from bacteria.

Fair enough!
    Don't lick the grass after slurry is spread on it, and you should be OK.

A bit from UCD on manure from TB infected animals.

Fair enough!
    Don't lick the grass after slurry is spread on it, and you should be OK.

It'd make you wonder though with guys putting in air agitation into slurry pits that they could be making a bad situation worse.

The old straw and dung heap seems to have been TB's worst nightmare.

Yeah, but that twenty year old paper points out solutions which are, by and large, the norm nowadays.
    Store for an extended period, spread on silage ground in spring and summer etc.
    And of course the paper describes forcing the cattle to eat grass freshly spread with slurry.
    Not normal practice, and ignores the question of animals with TB dunging in the fields during the grazing season.
    Slurry spread by tanker should be well exposed to sunlight and air in the 3 weeks following, allowing the bacteria to be broken down before the next grazing rotation.

Yeah, but that twenty year old paper points out solutions which are, by and large, the norm nowadays.
    Store for an extended period, spread on silage ground in spring and summer etc.
    And of course the paper describes forcing the cattle to eat grass freshly spread with slurry.
    Not normal practice, and ignores the question of animals with TB dunging in the fields during the grazing season.
    Slurry spread by tanker should be well exposed to sunlight and air in the 3 weeks following, allowing the bacteria to be broken down before the next grazing rotation.

Sunlight would probably kill it but it's oxygen it depends on. Hence a bacteria of the lungs.
    It explains how badgers pick it up from dung pats though.

Whatever about the time element though, in it's optimum conditions a microorganism takes thirty minutes to divide in two. So one microorganism will multiply to 1,048,576 in ten hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Santa gave my two a playhouse last year and it never left our sitting room. Spent a few hours avoiding the rain converting it into a Santa’s grotto.

497154.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Excellent program on 3e about the story of water.
    How it gets to your tap ready to drink. A lot of people on social welfare with their “we won’t pay” should have a look at it, or drink from a puddle outside.

• Advertisement

There's bigger and longer term risks from TB being ignored before disposal of milk from reactors becomes a problem, tbh.

The TB bacterium is a resilient little bugger and can survive for lengthy periods when not exposed to sunlight in a stable temperature.

Like badger setts on farms where the badgers have contracted TB, which are a pretty ideal safe zone for them to survive. And they're protected structures despite that and the Dept are unwilling to do anything sensible like seeking permission to seal up those setts in areas where they are the prime vector of transmission to cattle.

Rant over.

Howya, Dept lads, I'm sure I'll see you soon again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There's bigger and longer term risks from TB being ignored before disposal of milk from reactors becomes a problem, tbh.

The TB bacterium is a resilient little bugger and can survive for lengthy periods when not exposed to sunlight in a stable temperature.

Like badger setts on farms where the badgers have contracted TB, which are a pretty ideal safe zone for them to survive. And they're protected structures despite that and the Dept are unwilling to do anything sensible like seeking permission to seal up those setts in areas where they are the prime vector of transmission to cattle.

Rant over.

Your a marked man now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Santa gave my two a playhouse last year and it never left our sitting room. Spent a few hours avoiding the rain converting it into a Santa’s grotto.

497154.jpeg
    Lovely job. oh brought kids to pick the Christmas tree this evening. Always a tradition on 8th December. Kids getting older and daughter and youngest lad decorated the tree while I was milking.

I'd say he probably means a risk of it coming back and infecting the herd again through being in the soil.

If so I'd be out on that risk, wouldn't have a clue.

Edit: Probably if one was to take that risk seriously. With tb being an aerobic bacteria then such milk should be anaerobically treated to eliminate/reduce that risk.

Rant over.

Say My Name has it, if the milk was spread on land, or used in a prep to be used on land, would that pose a risk to the rest of the herd?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

tanko wrote: »
    You're old now, get used to it.
    Well used to it. I believe I'm well over 50% of the way to the grave. I've 72/72 in my head. Can't explain it!
    148multi wrote: »
    Another 60 before you get free beer
    :(

Was over in Kilbeggan Distillery today. They had an open day and the place was jammers. Got to stroll around it all. Some place there. Was lovely seeing the steam engine working in it. Don't think it usually operates. BBQ out in the courtyard, and a sing song in the little bar. Was brilliant. Young lad found his dancing feet to the music too. Even Santa turned up (hardly wrangler was it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    Excellent program on 3e about the story of water.
    How it gets to your tap ready to drink. A lot of people on social welfare with their “we won’t pay” should have a look at it, or drink from a puddle outside.
    Ah now, that is a bit harsh. A lot of my friends in NCD were against water charges and they ain't claiming social welfare. They feel that they are paying more than enough especially through LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Well used to it. I believe I'm well over 50% of the way to the grave. I've 72/72 in my head. Can't explain it!

:(

Was over in Kilbeggan Distillery today. They had an open day and the place was jammers. Got to stroll around it all. Some place there. Was lovely seeing the steam engine working in it. Don't think it usually operates. BBQ out in the courtyard, and a sing song in the little bar. Was brilliant. Young lad found his dancing feet to the music too. Even Santa turned up (hardly wrangler was it?)

Was there myself. First time operating in 2.5 years. Think its 130 odd years old

Reggie. wrote: »
    Your a marked man now

I was a marked man when I first brought it up. I doubt it will change much in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've noticed in the last few days that the Irish Farmers Journal now show a "Subscriber only" tag for some of their articles on social media -facebook, etc.

Thanks Muckit, xxx :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lovely piece by Mary O' Rourke in yesterdays Indo.
    I think it's free, I get it by pressing ''Log in with Google'' after pressing '' Log in''

FOR GOT TO POST THE LINK
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/comment/mary-orourke-well-all-regret-it-forever-if-we-dont-help-our-small-farmers-38763576.html?fbclid=IwAR2YEoGnc8tkDS895aBzeqHPJ0Nr25v_0g_mxH6rQ2RC6cSfc1yxyTnzXoo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement