Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I’m v happy-Aldi have got their ski pants back in. I got two last year and both are in bits from wearing them so much!! They keep out a lot of the rain so I don’t have to wear waterproof pants-It’s the little things in life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Has this model been sold previously, anyone used it? I've an idea but would need to drill a good bit of rock. 3 year warranty which eases the risk.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/parkside-performance/cordless-combi-hammer-drill/p32926

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hopefully pouring concrete tomorrow at the front of my shed. How soon after would it be ok to drive heavy machinery over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

https://www.thejournal.ie/beef-warning-fsai-4926633-Dec2019/

Why would beef over 30 months be a “specific risk”?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whelan, 8 days I'd say.
    Would be fully cured at 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    Hopefully pouring concrete tomorrow at the front of my shed. How soon after would it be ok to drive heavy machinery over it?

Heavy machinery - no harm give it 2 weeks.
    Light machinery - 10 days.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »

How deep are you going?
    Are you adding steel or joints?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭emaherx

mRSW2hJ.jpg

Latest truth about dairy animal abuse footage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/beef-warning-fsai-4926633-Dec2019/

Why would beef over 30 months be a “specific risk”?
    The article is implying that they are at risk due to the requirements for removing SRM from cattle over 30 months. I don't know at what stage of the process that SRM is removed but I would have thought it was in the factory where they were slaughtered?
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable knows.

• Advertisement

Youngest got me a present of this limited edition in August on his way home from a international marine survey. I decided not to open it until Christmas.

Well here goes :)

I'm just catching up on some online farming articles.
    I'm shocked at this article from the Farming Independent yesterday where they name ASF as a "flu" - for feck's sake do they have any editors with a bit of knowledge or cop on :mad:

Excerpt from the article -

"China has been scouring world markets in search of protein sources to replace 18m tonnes of domestic pork production lost due to the African Swine Flu epidemic which has resulted in 45-50pc of the country’s sows being culled to date."
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/beef-prices/factories-ramp-up-kill-for-chinese-market-38765948.html

Base price wrote: »
    Youngest got me a present of this limited edition in August on his way home from a international marine survey. I decided not to open it until Christmas.

Well here goes :)
    I've had two small glasses cause you need two to form an opinion :)
    I didn't have ice so I put the bottle into the freezer for 20/25 mins before opening it.

When I poured the first glass and got the smell I was immediately back at the RDS Spring Show (1970's/80's) when we used to queue at the Jersey stand to buy strawberry milkshakes. Same smell, same look (without the bubbles) but with a bit off a hint/taste of alcohol.

IMO you taste/feel the alcohol more at the back of your throat in the normal Baileys. This stuff is more like a alcohol pop that masks the taste of alcohol, iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I've had two small glasses cause you need two to form an opinion :)
    I didn't have ice so I put the bottle into the freezer for 20/25 mins before opening it.

When I poured the first glass and got the smell I was immediately back at the RDS Spring Show (1970's/80's) when we used to queue at the Jersey stand to buy strawberry milkshakes. Same smell, same look (without the bubbles) but with a bit off a hint/taste of alcohol.

IMO you taste/feel the alcohol more at the back of your throat in the normal Baileys. This stuff is more like a alcohol pop that masks the taste of alcohol, iykwim.

I was watching one of the Royle Family Christmas specials last night and had to laugh when they were having a 'glass' of Baileys they were filling a pint glass with the stuff. :D
    Absolutely love that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm just catching up on some online farming articles.
    I'm shocked at this article from the Farming Independent yesterday where they name ASF as a "flu" - for feck's sake do they have any editors with a bit of knowledge or cop on :mad:

Excerpt from the article -

"China has been scouring world markets in search of protein sources to replace 18m tonnes of domestic pork production lost due to the African Swine Flu epidemic which has resulted in 45-50pc of the country’s sows being culled to date."
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/beef-prices/factories-ramp-up-kill-for-chinese-market-38765948.html

Facts are secondary to a narrative these days, Base. It's hard to believe how far the Findo has fallen in a few years. I rarely even bother looking at it these days, even Agriland has a higher standard of journalism these days:(

Parishlad wrote: »
    I was watching one of the Royle Family Christmas specials last night and had to laugh when they were having a 'glass' of Baileys they were filling a pint glass with the stuff. :D
    Absolutely love that show.

We love it here too one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Facts are secondary to a narrative these days, Base. It's hard to believe how far the Findo has fallen in a few years. I rarely even bother looking at it these days, even Agriland has a higher standard of journalism these days:(

If Agriland didn't have farm machinery dispersal sales from East Anglia to write about it'd have feck all on it site half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If Agriland didn't have farm machinery dispersal sales from East Anglia to write about it'd have feck all on it site half the time.

That's about all I read it for:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

AND THE PROTESTS!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see this government printer is now going to cost €1.8 million.

The family here used to have sport horses and would be attending the sales in years past. Any way on one such occasion my father was sitting in the seats at one of these sales.
    Who sits down beside him only a world famous Irish tenor. He says to my father there's a horse coming in that I want to bid on but the auctioneer will ride me if I do so. So he asks my father to do so on his behalf.
    Now there were risks but he obliged and agreed to do so. Any way my father bought the horse but yer man signed the dotted line on the auctioneers slip. My father got a few quid for his troubles too that paid for the day out.

Anyway if there's any government officials reading this if your paws are not being greased by this printer and ye want to save money in the future my father is available to bid on any items that ye need all he wants is payment for the day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Niall Toibin - Builders
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mbzhj

The very last line says it all

:D:D

And the articles robbed directly from boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Happened to finish an hour early so oh and myself got all the Santa work done. Just have to put things together now and wrap.

Fit for nothing now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The family here used to have sport horses and would be attending the sales in years past. Any way on one such occasion my father was sitting in the seats at one of these sales.
    Who sits down beside him only a world famous Irish tenor. He says to my father there's a horse coming in that I want to bid on but the auctioneer will ride me if I do so. So he asks my father to do so on his behalf.
    Now there were risks but he obliged and agreed to do so. Any way my father bought the horse but yer man signed the dotted line on the auctioneers slip. My father got a few quid for his troubles too that paid for the day out.

Anyway if there's any government officials reading this if your paws are not being greased by this printer and ye want to save money in the future my father is available to bid on any items that ye need all he wants is payment for the day..

A neighbor was in the mart looking to buy a suckler springer year's back, after long deliberation he finally picked a potential purchase. Seeing as he wasn't a mart regular our man asked another neighbor to bid for the beast on his behalf when the time came. The two of them were standing ringside when the selected heifer came into the ring and he couldn't understand why his "agent" wasn't bidding and so got stuck in himself despite protest from said agent. He bought the beast on one bid but realized his mistake when the auctioneer opened bidding on the "lot in the ring". The lot he had bought was the previous one, an auld crock of a polly cow announced only as running with the bull. After some more deliberation he decided to keep his unwanted purchase and she went on to have several more calves and her descendents are still in his herd to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Niall Toibin - Builders
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mbzhj

The very last line says it all

He was a great comedian, I was surprised that there was so little about his funeral compared to Brendan Grace. Nothing wrong with Brendan Grace, he was brilliant aswell but just way more about his death I thought

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Bullocks wrote: »
    He was a great comedian, I was surprised that there was so little about his funeral compared to Brendan Grace. Nothing wrong with Brendan Grace, he was brilliant aswell but just way more about his death I thought

I always found Tóibín's comedy very relatable, the characters he portrayed reminded me of people that I knew and encountered on a daily basis. The turns of phrase always made me smile even though I had heard the punchline many times before. He was a natural entertainer and a great people watcher, to me he personified the naturally occurring wit that all great "characters" possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

I always found Tóibín's comedy very relatable, the characters he portrayed reminded me of people that I knew and encountered on a daily basis. The turns of phrase always made me smile even though I had heard the punchline many times before. He was a natural entertainer and a great people watcher, to me he personified the naturally occurring wit that all great "characters" possess.

The Irish RM has started a rerun on TG4 or whatever it is now. It’s on around 6pm. What was Niels name in it? Was it slipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

When's the calendar out from the farmers journal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The full extent of the waste and mismanagement of public monies by this government and senior civil servants will only hit home when the next recession arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I haven't read the Report that's out today. I think only one company bid for the contract, that seems odd. Even if you're only getting a small job done, when there is public money involved you'd need three prices.
    The other side is that it seems €1.3M would have been spent anyway so heading for €1M wasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement