Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Watching The Funeral Director on RTE, I never realised he was the gas madman that shipped a Jumbo jet to Sligo a few years ago. Great programme, to be fair to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Watching The Funeral Director on RTE, I never realised he was the gas madman that shipped a Jumbo jet to Sligo a few years ago. Great programme, to be fair to RTE.

I remember he used to be on the Anton Savage show giving updates on the journey of that jumbo jet years ago,very funny man he was

I remember he used to be on the Anton Savage show giving updates on the journey of that jumbo jet years ago,very funny man he was

Those shows were the best things I've heard on radio. I used just sit down with a cup of tea and laugh the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Those shows were the best things I've heard on radio. I used just sit down with a cup of tea and laugh the whole way through.

Yeah unreal,used to look forward to listening to him everytime,after that programme you can see another side to him,caring and compassionate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

He did an unbelievable transformation on the last corpse, Dougie.
    Very good program

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The full extent of the waste and mismanagement of public monies by this government and senior civil servants will only hit home when the next recession arrives

I was in a room with 3 civil servants last evening. All talk was of allowances, clothing, footwear, mileage, receipts, and how to work it all to ones best advantage. All work in different places, suggestions flew in what to propose in their own workplaces.

Farmers are living in caves I tell ye we're so far behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The lad that is building my shed got a crew cab jeep a few months ago. He seems to have difficulty with the length of it and has reversed into the same girder in his own yard 3 times doing a nice bit of damage to the back of it. We were talking about it today and he said that jeep has had more hits than Joe Dolan. Thought it was a good one .

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Odelay wrote: »
    The Irish RM has started a rerun on TG4 or whatever it is now. It’s on around 6pm. What was Niels name in it? Was it slipper?

Great show

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

whelan2 wrote: »
    The lad that is building my shed got a crew cab jeep a few months ago. He seems to have difficulty with the length of it and has reversed into the same girder in his own yard 3 times doing a nice bit of damage to the back of it. We were talking about it today and he said that jeep has had more hits than Joe Dolan. Thought it was a good one .

I used to work for a local gentleman​ farmer, business man and all round chancer a few years back. You could fill several books with stories and yarns of stuff that occurred on a daily basis but you've reminded me of one particular incident. The man himself was and still is a shocking bad driver, pays very little attention to what he's doing, nearly no spacial awareness ect. There were a few of us employed at different times depending on the workload, he kept a lot of stock at one point and then moved to making and selling fodder. The land base was nearly all on conacre and was spread out through Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford and Westmeath at various stages.

It was the height of silage season and we were baling on a place outside Newtowncashel in Longford. This particular farm was miles from anywhere and was bordered by the Shannon, the only way in and out was down miles of narrow back roads often with a stone wall ditch either side. It was coming up to lunch time and the boss man had rung me to say he was en route with grub so I pulled the tractor and bale trailer I was driving into a gateway on the roadside and awaited his arrival. One of the other lads had been dispatched for silage wrap earlier and was driving a swb Transit van that served as a communal works vehicle. The lad in question had a drive it like you stole it attitude regardless of what he was at the helm of.

Sure enough the Transit appeared around the corner almost on 2 wheels and the boss man following a few hundred meter's behind in his car. Remember this was a narrow back road bordered by stone walls and with a stripe of grass up the middle. I'd done my best to pull in off the road but the front wheel of the tractor was sticking out as was the back corner of the bale trailer. A car would have gotten past with some care but a Transit at high speed was too much of an ask, somehow he missed the front tyre of the tractor but caught the corner of the trailer. It opened the whole side of the van from bumper to bumper and he'd gone another 50 metres before getting it stopped. The boss man had pulled up at this stage and had seen the entire thing. As I said above the boss wasn't much of a pilot himself having regular incidents and if you broke something he'd usually pass no heed if it looked accidental and you were apologetic. However this was total recklessness and easily avoided, the f*cking and blinding started about the state of "me good van" and so forth. The van driver didn't seem to bothered and cut across the boss after a minute, I don't know what your shouting about he said, "Hadn't you more hits than Elvis". Sure enough the boss man was left only muttering, the van was touched up and the whole incident was never mentioned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

wrangler wrote: »
    He did an unbelievable transformation on the last corpse, Dougie.
    Very good program
    He sure did. The poor man, Dougie, looked shocking when he was first laid out but the transformation was amazing.
    Really enjoyed that program. Whatever happened to Anton Savage? I remember being glued to the radio when they were on about moving the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Parishlad wrote: »
    . Whatever happened to Anton Savage? I remember being glued to the radio when they were on about moving the plane.

His father passed away 18 months or so ago, so perhaps he is more involved in the family business.
    His mother is still a regular enough speaker on radio, in her role as a PR consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was in a room with 3 civil servants last evening. All talk was of allowances, clothing, footwear, mileage, receipts, and how to work it all to ones best advantage. All work in different places, suggestions flew in what to propose in their own workplaces.

Farmers are living in caves I tell ye we're so far behind!!

I heard of a foreman that used to tell the workers,'' if you're going home early don't pass me on the road!!!!!''.
    The whole CS is unsustainable now, but sure while they're able to throw money at it it'll be grand, meanwhile our taxes keep increasing.
    In reality there's no one surprised with the Printer fiasco, which says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The printer thing is puzzling.
    Why spend so much on a machine that cannot bind the printed work into books?
    3 or 4 different commercial print works are currently used, printing everything from Herd Registers to Glas record sheets etc.

Purely a vanity project, and I wonder if a request ( freedom of information) could be made for the minutes of the meetings where the purchase was discussed and approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    His father passed away 18 months or so ago, so perhaps he is more involved in the family business.
    His mother is still a regular enough speaker on radio, in her role as a PR consultant.

He got canned from today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I missed a phonecall yesterday off a mobile number with a mesasge from a department man looking for mam.

Does that mean inspection? What are they inspecting now or is it everything?
    I called back but no response.

Edit: Beef Genomics inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

ganmo wrote: »
    He got canned from today fm

I think I heard him on the Ray D'Arcy show talking about cars last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The printer thing is puzzling.
    Why spend so much on a machine...

300k for you, 300k for me and 300k for the printer.

The rest was spent on the cover-up and field trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I missed a phonecall yesterday off a mobile number with a mesasge from a department man looking for mam.

Does that meran inspection? What are they inspecting now or is it everything?
    I called back but no response.

Edit: Beef Genomics inspection.

Alot of full compliance inspections being carried out in our area the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    I heard of a foreman that used to tell the workers,'' if you're going home early don't pass me on the road!!!!!''.
    The whole CS is unsustainable now, but sure while they're able to throw money at it it'll be grand, meanwhile our taxes keep increasing.
    In reality there's no one surprised with the Printer fiasco, which says it all really

The army is on the verge of collapse atm. Next year will be a brutal one I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Alot of full compliance inspections being carried out in our area the last few days

I wonder have these lads been paid this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

He didn’t stay long. Just checked the tags on some of the genotyped cattle; sound lad.

Just have to send on original carbon navigator.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas:D
    1aXRCjq.jpg

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas:D
    1aXRCjq.jpg

Snow forecast here at the weekend I think.

Is that one early or late?:)

Snow forecast here at the weekend I think.

There's 4 more close to dropping to come in tomorrow and the rest will be OK for another week. I'll probably bring them in on Wednesday if it's dry.

Snow is a rarity here, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Odelay wrote: »
    The Irish RM has started a rerun on TG4 or whatever it is now. It’s on around 6pm. What was Niels name in it? Was it slipper?

Aye slipper.
    Flurry Knox the other lad who minds the hounds.
    A mighty show

There's 4 more close to dropping to come in tomorrow and the rest will be OK for another week. I'll probably bring them in on Wednesday if it's dry.

Snow is a rarity here, thank God.

Ah it's rare enough here too and I'm sure that whatever we get won't be that much.
    I'm glad that I don't have sheep though. Sounds too much like hard work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ah it's rare enough here too and I'm sure that whatever we get won't be that much.
    I'm glad that I don't have sheep though. Sounds too much like hard work! :D

Sheep gave even the most efficient beef enterprise a run for its money in 2019.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

kk.man wrote: »
    Sheep gave even the most efficient beef enterprise a run for its money in 2019.:)

Agreed although imo it's still akin to debating which end of a sinking ship will go under first. There is a difference but neither outcome is a positive one

kk.man wrote: »

Don't doubt it. But whatever little bit I know about cattle, I know absolutely nothing about sheep and would have no great grá for them.
    So it's just a case of better the devil you know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I visited the family grave yesterday and was saddened to see damage to the shoulder of the headstone. It was probably accidentally hit by a mini digger. The adjacent plot had a burial Nov 2018. I visited the grave earlier this year and didn't notice any damage to our 150 year old headstone. What ever happened, they attempted a repair with some type of black epoxy. Unfortunately, the repair would appear not to have been clamped, and the broken piece slipped approx. ¼ - ½ inch. I suppose it would do more damage rectifying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement