Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky HD Box with Studio apartment

Options
  • 11-08-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I have a friend that has a studio apartment he wants to let. He's thinking of getting a sky recordable hd box installed so he can charge a bit more rent.

Is he trying to be a bit too clever and is it really necessary? There is no ariel or anything at the moment so if a tenant was to move in they will need to get that sorted themselves. Also I don't know if it gets messy as tenants come and go which is probably why he wants to get it installed.

I told him he would just be adding another bill. Maybe he could get one of those freeview boxes that would just be a one off cost?

Any advice regarding this? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

He is about 7 years behind the latest internet based streaming.

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi folks I have a friend that has a studio apartment he wants to let. He's thinking of getting a sky recordable hd box installed so he can charge a bit more rent.

Is he trying to be a bit too clever and is it really necessary? There is no ariel or anything at the moment so if a tenant was to move in they will need to get that sorted themselves. Also I don't know if it gets messy as tenants come and go which is probably why he wants to get it installed.

I told him he would just be adding another bill. Maybe he could get one of those freeview boxes that would just be a one off cost?

Any advice regarding this? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Install the necessary satellite dish, Saorview aerial and cabling and let the tenant decide what TV service they require, pay or FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Very few apartments complexes permit the installation of aerials or dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can’t see a sky subscription adding more value than its cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can’t see a sky subscription adding more value than its cost.

Yeah that's what I thought. Like me personally that would not be a factor as I use netflix and sky go+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It would actually put a lot of people off. As in they mightn’t want pay tv, or they might want foreign channels, or they might want to move their virgin service to the new address.

Caranica wrote: »
    Very few apartments complexes permit the installation of aerials or dishes.

It's in the one property he owns but as a separate building about 150m from his main house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Unless it's an Airbnb thing, a TV service of any description would be the last thing a landlord should be providing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's in the one property he owns but as a separate building about 150m from his main house.

Oh it's a shed.

You should have mentioned!

"Studio apartment" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’ll put people off as they could get a new customer deal that’ll give them a discount for 12 months. So why would they pay extra rent?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply everyone:) So the general consensus is to leave it as it is and let the tenant decide what they want to do out of their own pocket lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Make it clear in the ad that he's willing to allow whatever installation work is required for the tenant's choice of Internet and/or TV providers and that would probably be more attractive than including Sky at the cost of higher rent. Some landlords wouldn't be so accommodating and might make it difficult for their tenants to set up their desired services because the required wiring/equipment isn't there already and the landlord won't allow it to be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He'll need to install a satellite dish, TV, wiring, etc. He'll also need to have the contract in his own name.

Or he could just provide wired internet.

I'd say people would prefer the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

the_syco wrote: »
    He'll need to install a satellite dish, TV, wiring, etc. He'll also need to have the contract in his own name.

Or he could just provide wired internet.

I'd say people would prefer the latter.

People renting a shed might rather a free to air satellite system than an internet subscription.

A satellite would take about an hour to install and run a few wires inside. Running cables suitable for internet to a shed is a big job and would require Eir to instal an new connection.

Advertisement