Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide foreshore

• 11-08-2019 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭

I have received my foreshore license and I would like to shoot on the Malahide estuary.

I'm wondering does anyone else do this and are there any places I should keep away from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As far as shooting its a matter of common sense due to the amount of residents there, and it will only get worse with new builds going on.
    The only discreet/ suitable spots are only safely accessible via private property unless you want to boat in.
    Stay out of the marsh reeds along the shore side of the railway line its a death trap of deep holes.
    Its very hit and miss and to be honest the eating quality if the ducks is poor. Your better off licking the foreshore mud off your boots their bound to taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Not bothered normally

that place should be, in my opinion, off the license. there is a linear park on one side. public road on the other then a motorway and a railway bridge. some of it is also an SAC.

there is , in my opinion, no where to shoot out of the public eye.......people are always down there feeding the swans and ducks etc...then there are the joggers and walkers........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thats the Broadmeadow Estuary your thinking, the river flows out under the moterway and out into a wide shallow estuary that empties out under the railway bridge into the Malahide Estuary. The Malahide Estuary is fed by another river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I'm wondering now is it actually worth the hassle. I usually shoot in very remote areas.

Do you know if anyone actually shoots there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Outdoorsmen

I'm wondering now is it actually worth the hassle. I usually shoot in very remote areas.

Do you know if anyone actually shoots there?

I just got my foreshore license. I’ve shot ducks on private ponds before but never big lakes. I was going to start by renting boat and head out on sheelin for first light. Any tips for boat rental or dos and donts of duck shooting on state lakes in Cavan

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Andrew E

Hey outdoorsman if you message me on Instagram I can help ya out with a boat and locations on Sheelin.
    Insta is Outdoors_in_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aaron0642

Was it difficult acquiring the foreshore license , new to this shooting lark , in process of buying first shotgun , have done lurchers for years , malahide just down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Malahide used to be close to where I lived years ago. I did look at the estuary area for shooting but came to the conclusion that it just wasn't suitable.

Yes there are ducks there. But there's also plenty of people with kids feeding the ducks, a walkway from there to the donabate side of the railway bridge and on the other side of the estuary is road and walks that are always busy with joggers, cyclists and walkers.

On the sea side of the railway bridge is malahide itself tinone side and golf clubs on the other.

To me it just had too many things where people would be ringing the local garda station about someone shooting there. Although you may be completely above board with your actions, once people are ringing up concerned about some lad shooting, it's only going to end up at best with you being asked to move out of the area.

My opinion, too many outside interferences, there's plenty of other places to find where you won't be disturbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭SVI40

Being from Malahide, I'd have to say the estuary is totally unsuitable for shooting. Way too many people and houses in the area. I'm surprised you can even get a foreshore licence for it.

Advertisement