Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean & delete all in a used SSD drive

Options
  • 11-08-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I want to clean and delete all data from a used SSD drive before fitting and cloning an OS. I can format it via a USB connection, is that enough or what other steps can I take ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What make SSD is it? Most manufacturers have software that will do a secure erase.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

FanadMan wrote: »
    What make SSD is it? Most manufacturers have software that will do a secure erase.
    San Disk but how can the installed "SanDisk SSD Dashboard" detect an external USB SSD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

mrtom wrote: »
    San Disk but how can the installed "SanDisk SSD Dashboard" detect an external USB SSD ?

Arrgh!

The SanDisk SSD Dashboard helps users maintain peak performance of the SanDisk SSD in Windows® operating systems with a user-friendly graphical interface for the user. ... Note: The SSD Dashboard is for use on internal SSD drives only. Please do not use on portable or external SSD drives

Can you install the SSD into a desktop and run dashboard from it from there? Or maybe a dual drive laptop?

Also, could try something here.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+secure+erase+external+ssd&oq=how+to+securely+erase+ssd+ex&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.13935j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

Considering another method:
    Connect SSD via USB then Disk Management, delete all detected partitions and Format.
    Intention is to fit this drive to a laptop and install Windows OS.
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Considering another method:
    Connect SSD via USB then Disk Management, delete all detected partitions and Format.
    Intention is to fit this drive to a laptop and install Windows OS.
    What do you think?

What level of "protection" are you looking for, the simple act of installing the new OS should secure the data from "normal" tech people, but maybe not the NSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I want to clean and delete all data from a used SSD drive before fitting and cloning an OS. I can format it via a USB connection, is that enough or what other steps can I take ?
    If reusing disk yourself, just format within Windows or DISKPART

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Not an expert but you can try overwrite deleted files by using cipher command.

How to Use the Cipher Security Tool to Overwrite Deleted Data
    Note The cipher /w command does not work for files that are smaller than 1 KB. Therefore, make sure that you check the file size to confirm whether is smaller than 1 KB. This issue is scheduled to be fixed in longhorn.

To overwrite deleted data on a volume by using Cipher.exe, use the
    /w switch with the cipher command:
    Quit all programs.
    Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    Type cipher /w:folder, and then press ENTER, where folder is any folder in the volume that you want to clean. For example, the cipher /w:c:\test command causes all deallocated space on drive C to be overwritten. If C:\folder is a Mount Point or points to a folder on another volume, all deallocated space on that volume will be cleaned.
    Data that is not allocated to files or folders is overwritten. This permanently removes the data. This can take a long time if you are overwriting a large amount of space.

Advertisement