Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low power DIY NAS?

Options
  • 11-08-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭

Have a Synology NAS at the moment, which I'm happy enough with, but I've been thinking that if and when I did want to upgrade it, I might try the DIY route. Maybe that would offer a better price/performance return than something off the shelf.

So, a few basic questions:-

- Is it possible to build a NAS with a power consumption of under 20 watts at peak, and under 5 watts at idle/hibernation? (24-7 machine)

- Is it possible to build a NAS with the same form factor as typical commercial, i.e. a compact, quiet, box with status lights for the drives? Can you buy enclosures that are specifically made for building a DIY NAS?

- Are the open-sourced NAS OSes out there as fully-featured and supported as DSM for Synology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Coyler

You could go Rasberry Pi/ARM chip but I'd recommend something like Apollo Lake chips. These are prebuilt or pre-soldered onto the mobo like this. You could easily pick up a nice mini-itx case that would suit your needs and taste. And finally, as for OS, it's entirely up to you. What's your use case? It's entirely possible to run DSM on x86, I think... but what's the fun in that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Depends on drives. Each drive pulls a couple watts while spun up

2. Yes, but options are limited. DS380 is ok but needs cooling mods.

3. DSM is just a port of existing options, Debian could do the same things with a slightly less polished UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Coyler wrote: »
    I'd recommend something like Apollo Lake chips.

AL are a bit on the glorified calculator side of things, Denverton has a little more horses to play with.

Advertisement