Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gastric Bypass

• 11-08-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

I can't find any thread on this that isn't years old.
    Has anyone had this done that is willing to talk to me about it?
    Trying to lose weight since 2005. Had some success but mostly failures. It only gets harder as I get older too. BMI is 43 atm. My whole family has issues with weight and my own issues started around 10 yrs old despite being very active. Running for Dublin, playing football constantly and at a decent level and cycling everywhere.
    I am seriously considering a bypass. A close relative had it last year and is doing great.

Any info/help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would you not talk to the close relative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

endacl wrote:
    Would you not talk to the close relative?

Of course I have but I was trying to get as much info as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Hi khaldrogo, were you thinking about going abroad to get it done. I have recently booked surgery in Lithuania, I'll be going in October. There is a brilliant facebook page for anyone considering getting it done where you can ask any amount of questions :)

laoisgem wrote: »
    Hi khaldrogo, were you thinking about going abroad to get it done. I have recently booked surgery in Lithuania, I'll be going in October. There is a brilliant facebook page for anyone considering getting it done where you can ask any amount of questions :)

I certainly had not ruled out going abroad. I'm still in the early stages of research. I have gotten a referral from my doctor for having done through HSE but could be waiting years.
    I'm interested in getting it done through the Cross Border Directive. Currently looking into that. How are you doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭all the bais

Youtuber boogie2998 got one done recently and documented the whole thing on his channel. Might find that useful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Clockpics

I'd be very wary of these surgeries
    Yes they do work for weight loss but there are sooo many disadvantages. Please understand those fully before you do it. People end up miserable with it, more prone to illness as a result of not having the best nutrients in the body, increased depression and higher suicide rates. Also there are so many types of bariatric surgeries, picking the best one for you is hard! private clinics are about making money, so try pick an ethical one. Just be very careful! Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Clockpics wrote: »
    I'd be very wary of these surgeries
    Yes they do work for weight loss but there are sooo many disadvantages. Please understand those fully before you do it. People end up miserable with it, more prone to illness as a result of not having the best nutrients in the body, increased depression and higher suicide rates. Also there are so many types of bariatric surgeries, picking the best one for you is hard! private clinics are about making money, so try pick an ethical one. Just be very careful! Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Have you any links for the increased depression and higher suicide rates?

Yes you will have to take certain vitamins for the rest of your life and get regular blood rests to insure your not deficient but thats a small price to pay in comparison to all the health risks associated with obesity.

Obviously anyone considering this type of surgery is doing so as a last resort and has done plenty of research re: types of surgeries, surgeons etc. Any surgeon will look at each individual independently and take into account any underlying health issues, medications, bmi etc and advise what type of surgery is suitable as its not a one type fits all.

I had looked into gastric plication firstly but have since decided to go for the bypass after speaking to the surgeon. I know alot of people who have had the gastric band who end up having it reviewed and go onto having the bypass.

OP if you want to PM me I will give you the name of Clinic that I am going with. It is going to cost €6,000 for my surgery but considering some people spend that on a holiday, I think its money well spent :)

......... It is going to cost €6,000 for my surgery but considering so.........

What country is that in?

Lithuania

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I underwent a gastric bypass around 13 years ago. At the time I had to go to Bruges as it wasn't an option here at the time.

I decided to do the surgery as I was hitting 30 and had been lucky enough to have no health issues. An acquaintance of mine had had it done and recommended it.

I initially lost around 70kg but have gained some back. It’s not a quick fix, it’s a tool, it now has made losing weight more difficult as I'm used to eating less calories.

There are numerous pros and cons for it, in an ideal world I would have lost the weight myself but it wasn't happening.

I've been lucky in that I've had no real side effects...occasional iron and B12 deficiency. I don't eat red meat which is also a factor in this. It’s also easily treated.

The acquaintance and another friend of mine who underwent the surgery haven’t been so lucky. One needed her gallbladder removed (this can be a common problem)

Both have however had addiction issues since then, mainly alcohol. They could no longer eat to cover their feelings or problems so turned to alcohol.

I had surgery to maintain my health, I’d advise anyone before going for this surgery to figure out why they over eat or why they’re not losing weight before going for it. You’ll quickly discover losing weight and being thin can reveal other issues.

Mentally too, I would still regard myself as fat and the biggest person in the room, regardless of what I’m told or maybe true.

If you’ve any questions…ask away

• Advertisement

I don't believe I overeat as such. My main meal in the evening would be an Irish portion! but calorie wise between 800-1200 depending on what the meal is. My lunch would be be between 300-600 calories depending and while I don't eat breakfast I would have some kind of low calorie cereal bar around 12pm of between 90-150 calories. Snacks throughout the day/evening could be up to 300 calories but not every day.

I have been on strict diets over the years with 3-4 gym sessions with proper PTs. I managed to lose about 3 stone over the course of about 2 years but the diet and exercise regime were not sustainable. Then my first child came along and between lack of time and energy it all came back on and then some. And that's how it's been since the big weight loss, I lose a bit and put it back on + a bit more.

I like exercise, swimming, cycling, hiking etc but am too big and embarrassed to be doing it at this size. I need the kick start of the surgery weight loss to give me the confidence to go swimming or cycling.

I have been bigger than my peers since the age of 10. Being bigger than average is how I was genetically made to be. I made peace with that a long time ago. I just want to be back to being 3st over weight instead of 10st!!!

Segotias wrote: »
    I underwent a gastric bypass around 13 years ago. At the time I had to go to Bruges as it wasn't an option here at the time.

I decided to do the surgery as I was hitting 30 and had been lucky enough to have no health issues. An acquaintance of mine had had it done and recommended it.

I initially lost around 70kg but have gained some back. It’s not a quick fix, it’s a tool, it now has made losing weight more difficult as I'm used to eating less calories.

There are numerous pros and cons for it, in an ideal world I would have lost the weight myself but it wasn't happening.

I've been lucky in that I've had no real side effects...occasional iron and B12 deficiency. I don't eat red meat which is also a factor in this. It’s also easily treated.

The acquaintance and another friend of mine who underwent the surgery haven’t been so lucky. One needed her gallbladder removed (this can be a common problem)

Both have however had addiction issues since then, mainly alcohol. They could no longer eat to cover their feelings or problems so turned to alcohol.

I had surgery to maintain my health, I’d advise anyone before going for this surgery to figure out why they over eat or why they’re not losing weight before going for it. You’ll quickly discover losing weight and being thin can reveal other issues.

Mentally too, I would still regard myself as fat and the biggest person in the room, regardless of what I’m told or maybe true.

If you’ve any questions…ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I don't believe I overeat as such. My main meal in the evening would be an Irish portion! but calorie wise between 800-1200 depending on what the meal is. My lunch would be be between 300-600 calories depending and while I don't eat breakfast I would have some kind of low calorie cereal bar around 12pm of between 90-150 calories. Snacks throughout the day/evening could be up to 300 calories but not every day.

I have been on strict diets over the years with 3-4 gym sessions with proper PTs. I managed to lose about 3 stone over the course of about 2 years but the diet and exercise regime were not sustainable. Then my first child came along and between lack of time and energy it all came back on and then some. And that's how it's been since the big weight loss, I lose a bit and put it back on + a bit more.

I like exercise, swimming, cycling, hiking etc but am too big and embarrassed to be doing it at this size. I need the kick start of the surgery weight loss to give me the confidence to go swimming or cycling.

I have been bigger than my peers since the age of 10. Being bigger than average is how I was genetically made to be. I made peace with that a long time ago. I just want to be back to being 3st over weight instead of 10st!!!

All are valid reasons for you,which is the main thing.

You mention portion size. A meal that contains around 1200 cals would be fairly substantial in size, you're stomach is cut down to around the size of an egg to begin with so you will be at a serious calorie deficit. The most of the weight is lost within the first 10 months then it fades back.

It will impact your energy levels drastically which is something to bare in mind if you're running around after kids.

You can make the best decision for you but you can regain all the weight lost from the surgery. After the first year your body adapts, you don't always "dump" when eating sugar or fats.

Its far from the quick fix some people think it is

Haven't been on social media for some time but came across this and thought I would update.

I had the surgery right before covid hit in December 2019.

I had it done 4 days before Xmas in Lithuania. Best thing I ever did!

I went from 130kg to 88kg at my lowest. It is known that people generally gain back about 20% of what they lost. I was in around the 90 to 95kg for a long time. If I don't pay attention and track my food and exercise I have hit 102kg.

So, as it was said, it is a tool not a magic wand.

The only downside for me was replacing food with alcohol. But I'm getting on top of that now. All in all, the best decision I ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Can I ask how much it cost in Lithuania? Surely almost as much as in Ireland?

How did you decide where to go - both in terms of country and which clinic?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

6150e in 2019. Got 6090e back through the cross border directive.

I choose Lithuania as the surgeon the clinic has had over 30000 surgeries to his name across Northern Europe. The communication from the clinic was top notch. If I was to have had it done here, it would have taken at leat 5 yearsto get done.

My family member who had it done, had it done here privately and paid 13k approx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's amazing, you basically had it done for free. In my case it wouldn't be me having it done - I'm actually thinking about a family member (a young adult, just starting a first job). I don't know whether I could ever suggest it to them but I feel like they are losing out so much due to their weight issues (in terms of personal confidence and specifically relationships - this isn't about wanting the person to look nicer.)

But obviously it's not something that can come from someone else. I'm just wondering whether it's even feasible if the idea did ever come up, and I would love to have something concrete to talk about if it does.

Also I see your BMI was well into the level at which surgery is advised. I don't know for sure, but I think this person might be a bit under that: in the 30-35 zone, but probably not above that. So most likely this is just information I'll store for possible reflection in the future. I definitely don't want to be the person pushing them to do something that they may not feel entirely happy with themselves.

Thanks a lot for your info anyway, it's been useful for my own thinking on the issue.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement