Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed?

Options
  • 11-08-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if someone can identify this. Is it Japanese Knotweed? from research it seems the leaves arnt the same shape and teh stems are inline which I believe means its not but Im not 100% sure.
    It started with just one last year and chopped it as I assumed it was just one big weed, it grew fairly high.

Now we are left with this, multiple. The worry is they are now growing outside the flower bed. Any ideas? Should I be worried?
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi all

Just wondering if someone can identify this. Is it Japanese Knotweed? from research it seems the leaves arnt the same shape and teh stems are inline which I believe means its not but Im not 100% sure.
    It started with just one last year and chopped it as I assumed it was just one big weed, it grew fairly high.

Now we are left with this, multiple. The worry is they are now growing outside the flower bed. Any ideas? Should I be worried?
    Any help is appreciated.

Not knot weed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Might be Himalayan balsam which is another invasive species, but not as bad.
    Not knot weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Thanks RBH and recedite, appreciate it, any tips on how to get rid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It's not balsam either -- can't recall the name now, but it is very invasive and grows very tall. Just pull out the biggest ones - unless its a very big area - and pull/spray off the smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dathi

looks like one of the salvias that has self seeded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

it's figwort.

it's figwort.

What kind of spray can I get to get rid? Basic weed killer or something professional? Sorry very clueless about this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

What kind of spray can I get to get rid? Basic weed killer or something professional? Sorry very clueless about this kind of thing.

I can't advice you on that. I don't use poison on my land, ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just keep yanking at it. if it's in a contained area, should be easy enough to keep on top of and you should be able to weaken it enough to kill it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

As said its Fig Wort which is one of those pain in the arse weeds that once you've got it is almost impossible to get rid of.

If that stuff seeds you won't ever see the back of it.

It might not be to late to use roundup on it but if it is too late the flowers will go on to produce seed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

I have a similar question - are the attached photos Japanese Knotweed or something different? It keeps coming through tiny holes in a stone wall between my property and my neighbours field.

Thank you!

Dtwhite123 wrote: »
    I have a similar question - are the attached photos Japanese Knotweed or something different? It keeps coming through tiny holes in a stone wall between my property and my neighbours field.

Thank you!

Bind weed. Bit of a pain but not in the same league as Japanese Knotweed.

I treat it with a Roundup mixed with wallpaper paste and paint the leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Thank you!

Yep bind weed. If there isn't to much of it I advise dealing with it now. This time of year using round up is very effective. You can keep pulling it up if you don't want to use chemicals. But you'll need to pull at it every week or so, until it's gone. It's a real bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

Yep bind weed. If there isn't to much of it I advise dealing with it now. This time of year using round up is very effective. You can keep pulling it up if you don't want to use chemicals. But you'll need to pull at it every week or so, until it's gone. It's a real bugger

Thanks for that. Relieved. I'll ask the neighbours permission if I can treat it with Round Up from his side.

Thanks for that. Relieved. I'll ask the neighbours permission if I can treat it with Round Up from his side.

You can just paint the tips as they come through with roundup. Mixing roundup with wallpaper paste makes it easier to get it to stick. Beware that it will wash off an affect plants below.

The new growths are also the best bits to treat as they pick up the glyphosate really well.

my3cents wrote: »
    Beware that it will wash off an affect plants below.
    One good reason to treat it from the neighbour's side ;)

recedite wrote: »
    One good reason to treat it from the neighbour's side ;)

I can do ours from my own garden but because I have plants I want to keep I can't just spray all the Bind Weed. So I treat the leaves where they are over bare soil, on woody stems or on plants that don't really matter like fox gloves that have flowered.

When its really dry like last summer there wasn't a problem but with all the rain this year the roundup can wash off before its all been absorbed.

Getting some good kill rates and must get back when we have a couple of dry days forecast to do some more.

I got rid of one by coiling it up inside a transparent plastic bag, and then spraying into the bag.

It must have come in as a seed or something, because it was only the one plant, but every time I pulled it up it just came back. The roots are very deep.
    Anyway, I didn't want it spreading, and that's what they do.

recedite wrote: »
    I got rid of one by coiling it up inside a transparent plastic bag, and then spraying into the bag.

It must have come in as a seed or something, because it was only the one plant, but every time I pulled it up it just came back. The roots are very deep.
    Anyway, I didn't want it spreading, and that's what they do.

I used to do that for the odd bind weed plant and it works well but I have a lot from cultivating a wild area and not getting it all out.

Duplicate post

• Advertisement

Duplicate post

my3cents wrote: »
    I used to do that for the odd bind weed plant and it works well but I have a lot from cultivating a wild area and not getting it all out.

So these f****rs are back. My fear of them growing by house also seems to have happened as I've spotted two growing by house wall. I went to a few places around Cork and I was recommended to use RoundUp. Didn't work. So now I assume the only way out of this is to dig everything out? Can I do this myself or should I get someone who knows what they are doing to do it? They are multiply massivly every year. What started off as one in 2018 now there are about 40.

Edit. Actually it's about 80. All over that flower bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

LOL One of the Willowherbs no sign of Japanese Knotweed in that picture. A bit of roundup will get rid of those is short order.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This must be the weirdest suggestion I've ever seen regarding Japanese knotweed.

http://the3foragers.blogspot.com/search?q=knotweed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, i've heard it's edible on plenty of occasions. just not a plant you'd want to grow as a crop...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

So these f****rs are back. My fear of them growing by house also seems to have happened as I've spotted two growing by house wall. I went to a few places around Cork and I was recommended to use RoundUp. Didn't work. So now I assume the only way out of this is to dig everything out? Can I do this myself or should I get someone who knows what they are doing to do it? They are multiply massivly every year. What started off as one in 2018 now there are about 40.

Edit. Actually it's about 80. All over that flower bed

Such an easy weed to just pull up.
    Get to them before they flower/ in flower and you'll eradicate them within a couple of years.
    Miss just one though and they'll be there forever so very important to look everywhere (especially amongst and under plants) for them.

New Home wrote: »

My first photo (OP last year) looks very like Japanese Knotweed. I can't see the difference tbh. I know my latest ones aren't. I may have just panicked 🀣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Last year it was figwort. I guess you didn't let the figwort go to seed or you'd have even more figwort this year.

• Advertisement

My first photo (OP last year) looks very like Japanese Knotweed. I can't see the difference tbh. I know my latest ones aren't. I may have just panicked ��

:)

The leaves in that picture are smaller and with a different edge, they are attached to the plant differently and the stems are straight.

Anyway, better to be panicking and be wrong (and if you're right, do something about it) than not to be panicking and be right (and ignoring the problem hoping it'll go away).

Advertisement