Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I've a simple view of budgeting: there is only a limited number any country can get in at any time, depending on how the economy is doing.
    But ... knowing there are refugees all over the world, should the public/tax payer not be consulted as in what type of refugees would be more welcome here, as in the ones that seem to integrate easier ?
    For example, I see no reason why Ireland could not look into welcoming refugees from Venezuela (fly them in, in case it may be easier to get jobs for them over here), or prioritize families with children over single persons - rather then just letting in whatever is brought on a boat in a season.

Meanwhile, from another country in EU - "Slovenia has started work on an additional 40km of wire fencing along its southern border with Croatia to prevent people from entering the country irregularly, according to media reports."
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/slovenia-extend-border-fence-prevent-refugee-crossings-190822114036800.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

A good and fairly short video that might add some other data to the discussion:- mainly non-Irish studies but there is a piece and angle relating to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What a load of (old^) spiel indeed you (the 'Cat') have supplied. Really are trying hard to distort matters or push an agenda. Now, let's look at things sensibly without your bias:

d5EH0dM.png
    It's essentally 'try hard' twisted data.

i) 2015 is only one of the previous ^30yrs, so it's signifcance will be washed down by the average of 29 other 'normal' years.

ii) It ignores any wider effects from the latter part of 2015 up to today 2019. e.g. The two mass molestations in Cologne only occured in 2016, not before.

iii) Economic effects of 2015 won't be felt until the following state budgets in 2016, and onwards.

iv) Importantly you and the (questionable) report you're so keen to bang on about, also failed to include Greece (the actual 'epicentre') during the (summer) of 2015. My oh my isn't that handy! Stange they included Iceland instead, yes Iceland (eye roll).

Imagine not bothering to take a look at Greece and it's Islands such as Lesbo, where it actually all started with massive camps being established along with sea crossings from Turkey.

Eastern Europe is also totally ingored, which was the start location of the movement. WOW! Handy again! Portugal is also largely exempt from the problem, as their welfare state is very hard going for any 'guests' (thus not an attractive option).

Bogus Distortion = Fake News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Distortion is one way of putting it. Disingenuous is another way to put it.
    He also uses sources as Nature.com and an NGO website whose sole purpose revolves around migration.
    And we still have this gem, which we all know not to be true:
    With regards to your later point, the majority of asylum applicants in Ireland are rejected and deported.

How in the world can anyone tell us with a straight face that non-EU migration is a good thing for our economy, especially when we have only "40% of adult African nationals in Ireland employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups".
    That is not a very good litmus test for the incoming African migrants that we are taking from the Ocean Viking NGO migrant-ferry, which was announced by Fine Gael this morning, and the other batch announced by President Macron a couple of weeks of ago, when he said that the process will be automatic and quick for us. Wonder if they are here already?
    Wonder who will be displaced from the housing and healthcare lists in order to accommodate these new arrivals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Kivaro wrote: »
    For sure, makes you wonder as to the motivation from SchrodingersCat to keep posting what is in essence fake, bogus and highly bias distorted reports.

Merkel only offered her invite 25th Aug 2015*, but the report averages the 30yrs fiscal data upto/before that, when it was normal movement on average.

CxZXqQQ.png

Then to drop Greece (the epicenter) from all data, is the big cherry / 'wool over the eyes' on top.

Merkel even stated such an invitation of open doors mass migration should not and must not happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kivaro wrote: »
    He also uses sources as Nature.com and an NGO website whose sole purpose revolves around migration.
    And we still have this gem, which we all know not to be true:

How in the world can anyone tell us with a straight face that non-EU migration is a good thing for our economy, especially when we have only "40% of adult African nationals in Ireland employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups".
    That is not a very good litmus test for the incoming African migrants that we are taking from the Ocean Viking NGO migrant-ferry, which was announced by Fine Gael this morning, and the other batch announced by President Macron a couple of weeks of ago, when he said that the process will be automatic and quick for us. Wonder if they are here already?
    Wonder who will be displaced from the housing and healthcare lists in order to accommodate these new arrivals?

RTE had it as the second story after the Brazilian fires

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

biko wrote: »

Bloody fordiners!!

Shakes fist.

I long for the days when there was no terrorism and clean streets on these islands before migration.

Thank God you reposted that Tweet.

Wake up people!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boggles wrote: »
    Bloody fordiners!!

Shakes fist.

I long for the days when there was no terrorism and clean streets on these islands before migration.

Thank God you reposted that Tweet.

Wake up people!!!!

We give out almost €1bn a year as foreign aid, then add on how much DP costs, then housing, medical cards, children’s allowance, hotel bills, lawyers for appeals, free legal aid etc etc. Think of how many more house could be build, how many more Gardai we could have etc if we weren’t paying the third world money for nothing.

We give out almost €1bn a year as foreign aid, then add on how much DP costs, then housing, medical cards, children’s allowance, hotel bills, lawyers for appeals, free legal aid etc etc. Think of how many more house could be build, how many more Gardai we could have etc if we weren’t paying the third world money for nothing.

And no terrorism and don't forget clean streets.

All ills of society would be cured if we just got rid of those bloody fordiners!!!

If only there was a legitimate party I could vote for that would address this scourge!

• Advertisement

No-one is against ALL immigration.

Some may want a very small immigration over an extended period of time.
    Some may want immigration on par with other EU nations.
    Some may want open borders, or no borders. Everyone can live where they like.

If you want any restriction at all on immigration numbers then there is someone else that consider you a conservative racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

We've [USA, Europe and Canada. aka Us Evil White People Countries] been given money to the 3rd World for decades and they're still 3rd World. Maybe its time to pull the plug and let them cop on or let nature take its course.

I think we still need to help these countries or there will never be peace.

Imagine there are several dilapidated houses in your estate and the people living there cannot fix them by themselves.
    Do you help them fix their houses, or do you take their kids to live in your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I think we still need to help these countries or there will never be peace.

Imagine there are several dilapidated houses in your estate and the people living there cannot fix them by themselves.
    Do you help them fix their houses, or do you take their kids to live in your house?

There comes a point when you realize you're generosity being taken for granted. Like for your example. I don't mind helping a friend or family member fix their house, but if it costs me alot of money and they turn around and wreck the place again I won't be so quick to help them again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Some may want a very small immigration over an extended period of time.
    Some may want immigration on par with other EU nations.
    Some may want open borders, or no borders. Everyone can live where they like.

If you want any restriction at all on immigration numbers then there is someone else that consider you a conservative racist.

I just want equality. If the government are going to give out housing and benefits to migrants and dole heads then I want them too. If not then I won't be paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    We've [USA, Europe and Canada. aka Us Evil White People Countries] been given money to the 3rd World for decades and they're still 3rd World. Maybe its time to pull the plug and let them cop on or let nature take its course.

Protectionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Looks like for whatever they were saying, twitter had to suspend their account.

There is certainly some groups in the world and on here in fact who only want a certain type / colour of immigrant.

On here? Haven't come across anyone. Have you a link?

There is a certain basket of individuals on here who almost exclusively post negatively about immigration.

They are flamming dim witted racists, would you agree?
    Blueshoe wrote: »
    I just want equality. If the government are going to give out housing and benefits to migrants and dole heads then I want them too.

What's stopping you from putting your name on a housing list or claiming unemployment benefit if you become unemployed?
    If not then I won't be paying for it.

You'll have to explain that one to me?

Looks like for whatever they were saying, twitter had to suspend their account.

Because it was a daft racist post which amazing found it's way on here.

Go figure.

There is a certain basket of individuals on here who almost exclusively post negatively about immigration.

They are flamming dim witted racists, would you agree?
    Wanting restricted immigration does not equal racism.
    I know that making things black or white (pun intended) makes them easier to grasp but you lose nuances.
    There are as many reasons to be for or against immigration as there are people.

To blanket state people that have reservations against immigration are flaming dimwits is unnuanced and insensitive.

If high immigration means high crime and rape, then wanting high immigration seem to be the dimwitted option, no?

Nota bene, immigration is a blanket statement in itself and unnuanced.
    Immigrants are not a homogeneous group.

• Advertisement

Wanting restricted immigration does not equal racism.

I didn't say that. Again you are incapable of understanding my point or are doing it on purpose, neither is a good look, TBH.

I said the basket of individuals on here and elsewhere who post exclusively in a negative tone about migration are dim witted racists.

As in they seldom post about anything else.

Would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People can also want restricted immigration for cultural reasons, which is reasonable.

The Working Class are for restricted immigration for economic reasons, the higher up the class ladder are for more open migration for their own economic reasons but call it solidarity or internationalism.

The racists are a small contingent that do not define the argument.

I didn't say that. Again you are incapable of understanding my point or are doing it on purpose, neither is a good look, TBH.
    I do not agree with your blanket statement. You are generalising.
    I said the basket of individuals on here and elsewhere who post exclusively in a negative tone about migration are dim witted racists.
    As in they seldom post about anything else.

Would you agree?
    These in bold are contradictory. Decide which is correct and stick with it.

Just so we're clear - I don't agree with your blanket statement posters in this forum are racists because they oppose immigration.
    You have asked twice and I have answered twice, I hope that is enough cause it's getting a bit tedious.

Btw, it's "dimwitted", sometimes "dim-witted", but never "dim witted".
    Just so you know for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I always find it hilarious when the race card is pulled.....

We are all human and our hearts beat the same.....

Race has nothing to do with the discussion and it's all about how can we afford this and where are they going to be housed.

Why are boats picking them up close to the shore and then bringing them 100s of kilometres to Europe?

I'd rather the money be spent to help them rebuild at home.

I hope that is enough cause it's getting a bit tedious.

It isn't, but agreed you are getting tedious, so as you were.

Danzy wrote: »
    The racists are a small contingent that do not define the argument.

They are a growing contingent and like most empty vessels make the most noise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Government to spend €65 million on new Direct Provision centres in four counties https://jrnl.ie/4785367

Endless cash supply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Government to spend €65 million on new Direct Provision centres in four counties https://jrnl.ie/4785367

Endless cash supply

Numbers up 40% this year iirc. Keep em coming.

When the tiger calved at least we got plenty of motorways out of it. Next time the economy calves we'll have spent all the dough on free housing and welfare for spoofers n spongers- our own and imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

€65 million would fund around 1500 new Garda for a year.

It could also build a housing estate of around 200 houses.

Instead it's being spent on ensuring that Simon and Leo get EU/UN jobs after they get kicked out of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Can anyone remind me what the benefits are for the normal people of the country to take all these young, male "refugees" into the country?

How can anyone look at this stuff and then get surprised / shocked when more people become racist / turn to far right views?

Advertisement