Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    With 10,000 on the streets we should not be taking in migrants.

Why don't stakeholders who openly criticise the government such as Fr Peter McVerry of the Peter McVerry Trust homeless charity never accuse migrants of causing or exacerbating homelessness in Ireland. You'd think he would have mentioned it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Kivaro wrote: »
    That should not be surprising, as most likely the majority do not have access to quality education. To me, that is the source of the African problem. Instead of sending billions and billions to quangos and NGOs and enriching the elite of these African countries, the money should be re-directed to all facets of education, from rudimentary to third level and to vocational-type schools.
    Empower the people with education and you will find that it improves the continent's fortunes. This, in turn, will turn the migrant tide back inward.

All African aid money should have a substantial percentage dedicated to education.
    The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet. (Aristotle)

Then your local friendly African warlord suddenly makes all of his mates teachers and they milk the cash in from sham schools. The place is riddled with full scale corruption.

You send them cash, they'll syphon it off. You send them food aid, they'll hoard it and feed their armies. You send them medicine, they'll keep it for themselves. The place is absolutely hopeless. They've had a few thousand years headstart on the other continents and they still managed to be hundreds of years behind us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Gatling wrote: »
    But there is not 10,000 on the streets .

10,000 in emergency accommodation .

6000 asylum seekers in direct provision accommodation.

What we need is actual control over our own immigrants if we need skilled people bring them in , bringing thousands who want a better life funded by us taxpayers with lifelong benefits , medical cards ,social housing and pensions ,
    Is not the way to go ,it's basket case policy and demands of a small group of people

Who will you be voting for in the next election? Which party is most likely to stop unskilled immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

With 10,000 on the streets we should not be taking in migrants.

9800 people are living in hotels, b&b’s and othe rplaces that are not on the streets. There are no children on the streets or else tusla get involved, there are very few women on the streets, most of the <200 rpugh sleepers in dublin are drug addicts who decline beds as they have to show up clean.

I agree we shpuld still not be housing economic migrants and should close the borders to asylum , but lets not cop out with ‘HeLp OuR OwN hOmElEsS fIRsT’

‘We currently transfer €2.3 million a day of taxpayers’ money to private landlords to meet social housing need, the equivalent of building 10 publicly owned houses every day. Over the three years of Rebuilding Ireland the Government has spent over €2.5 billion subsidising the private rental market. Yet for these vast sums, the State does not possess a single extra publicly-owned house. The private sector will not, and cannot, be the primary solution to our housing crisis.’

Empty homes should be taxed, big corporations like apple should be taxed, more homes should be built, clearer acknowledgment of the problem by the government. Blaming foreigners is foolish and homeless charities aren’t saying that asylum seekers are the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

10,000 Homeless is not bull****.

I never said it was.

But you said 10,000 homeless dying on the streets and RTE refusing to report on it is bullshít.

Unless of course you have proof?

It would be a pretty major international story.

Link me up there so?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cloudatlas wrote: »
    ‘We currently transfer €2.3 million a day of taxpayers’ money to private landlords to meet social housing need, the equivalent of building 10 publicly owned houses every day. Over the three years of Rebuilding Ireland the Government has spent over €2.5 billion subsidising the private rental market. Yet for these vast sums, the State does not possess a single extra publicly-owned house. The private sector will not, and cannot, be the primary solution to our housing crisis.’

Empty homes should be taxed, big corporations like apple should be taxed, more homes should be built, clearer acknowledgment of the problem by the government. Blaming foreigners is foolish and homeless charities aren’t saying that asylum seekers are the problem.

Ah sure the market is gonna solve it, apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thats not true.

Elaborate!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's not my zany idea it's what the charities are saying who work day in day out on the problem. No that's too much engagement for you, default to 'Dey took der jerbs'.'It's the feckin Greeks father! Sure they invented gayness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's not my zany idea it's what the charities are saying who work day in day out on the problem. No that's too much engagement for you, default to 'Dey took der jerbs'.'It's the feckin Greeks father! Sure they invented gayness'.

Fair enough

• Advertisement

Don't forget those that rent such as I did for over 7 years basically funded this....

Half what I paid went straight to revenue unless the LL was a vultire fund or huge corporate company.

Ordinary LL pay 50-51% tax so this really helped this scheme....

I got no rent relief either as wasn't renting in time to be eligible and now have a mortgage I'm not entitled to mortgage interest relief as I wasn't in time for that either....

All I've ever done is the right thing and get nothing back for it....

What is happening is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Why in the name of god would homeless charities blame foreigners, they are growing the problem and therefore the homeless industry.
    1 in 3 now on dublin homeless list is foreign born n that percentage is growing.
    Who knows after brexit it could be 1 in 2, it'll certainly keep the 'crisis' going anyway.

Asylum seeker numbers are up 40% on last year, do u reckon its sustainable?
    Tax the multinationals more to pay for it? Great idea, just we may end up with more foreigners here for handouts n less multinationals though!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

And... account suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

To not work???

Mainly all don't work and never will work, why would they.

Thats not true.

Elaborate!

There's not much to elaborate here: what you said is not true. If you want us to believe what you said, please provide a source.

enricoh wrote: »
    Why in the name of god would homeless charities blame foreigners, they are growing the problem and therefore the homeless industry.
    1 in 3 now on dublin homeless list is foreign born n that percentage is growing.
    Who knows after brexit it could be 1 in 2, it'll certainly keep the 'crisis' going anyway.

Tax the multinationals more to pay for it? Great idea, just we may end up with more foreigners here for handouts n less multinationals though!

Yeah because homeless charities are big money spinning organisations, insidious and corporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Why don't stakeholders who openly criticise the government such as Fr Peter McVerry of the Peter McVerry Trust homeless charity never accuse migrants of causing or exacerbating homelessness in Ireland. You'd think he would have mentioned it by now.

I'd say in the political circles that Peter Mc Verry moves in, any discussion of immigration disadvantages/problems would be a deeply taboo subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah because homeless charities are big money spinning organisations, insidious and corporate.

Well there is serious taxpayers money being wasted on homeless charities duplicating work in dublin. There is dozens of them on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bells of shandon

Gearoid Murphy investigates the highly profitable Asylum/Human Trafficking Industry. He exposes the Gombeen Landlords, the Govt financed promoters of the racket and the NGO;s who are the useful idiots who are paid well to sell out their Nation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKywvcglcc

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well there is serious taxpayers money being wasted on homeless charities duplicating work in dublin. There is dozens of them on the go

Well you're correct there. Notwithstanding the fact that charities traditionally plugged the gap in services that the state wouldn't or couldn't officially provide, it funded these charities and the number of charities grew as a result. This article from 5 years ago show 23 (homeless) charities hoovering up €100m between them.

Also here:
    In 2014 staff costs at the four main homeless agencies in the city absorbed all funds, more in instances, granted them by the State for the provision of homelessness services. . . . . Each has its own management team, its own chief executive/directors, policy teams, buildings managers, health and counselling teams, and training programmes.

Now what would happen if homelessness went away tomorrow, would these charities? Seeing as their raison d'etre has gone.

Getting back to the original topic how many asylum seekers/refugee charities are there? How much duplication is there? How much are their CEOs and directors being paid? Also because of competition they need to differentiate themselves from other charities and they need to keep raising their profile hence their reports that Irish people are just so racist, breathlessly reported in the media as fact.

Now shut up and give us more money.

They are an industry too.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

I'd say in the political circles that Peter Mc Verry moves in, any discussion of immigration disadvantages/problems would be a deeply taboo subject.

He doesn’t strike me as someone who is afraid to speak truth to power.

So stopping funding to homeless charities will solve the problem, wow. I’ve a family member working as a supervisor/ community worker gets paid sweet **** all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Immigrants are indeed an industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/18/swedish-private-housing-sector-refugees
    Aleris, a large company owned by the powerful Wallenberg family, declined to comment on press reports that it charges as much as £6,600 a month to place a refugee child with a foster family.

How would one go about getting into the housing of refugee business?

I do like money. Public money especially. It has a sweeter flavour to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Blueshoe wrote: »
    How would one go about getting into the housing of refugee business?

I do like money. Public money especially. It has a sweeter flavour to it

Start a charitable enterprise.

Give it a name like Foscadh (Sheltering)

Start a charitable enterprise.

Give it a name like Foscadh (Sheltering)

I'd rather an accommodation type facility. Get paid by the bed. Feed them 3 times a day. 150 a head per day. If I got 10 of them in I'd be making good coin.

If I approached the department with a plan maybe.
    There are a few old haysheds that could be converted locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He doesn’t strike me as someone who is afraid to speak truth to power.

So stopping funding to homeless charities will solve the problem, wow. I’ve a family member working as a supervisor/ community worker gets paid sweet **** all.

Not what I mean at all really.

He's never likely to come out and say that "maybe immigration is too high lads and its putting enormous pressure on housing around our cities, we need to put in some controls".

Not what I mean at all really.

He's never likely to come out and say that "maybe immigration is too high lads and its putting enormous pressure on housing around our cities, we need to put in some controls".

That’s your fantasy.

There's not much to elaborate here: what you said is not true. If you want us to believe what you said, please provide a source.

How is it so??? You say not true, you prove it...

Many mortgages are teetering in arrears. The flaw in the system is that the governments plan to tackle homelessness ‘rebuilding Ireland’ relies on the private sector. These companies aren’t interested in building accommodation for low income families, these families are then forced into the higher priced private rental sector where they are at risk of being evicted due to increasing rents or landlords who want to sell. Social housing needs to be built. There is enough land to build on but the governments ideology favours the private sector and local authorities don’t want to approve social housing as the locals will complain about council flats near them and the county counsellors are afraid that they won’t be elected if they go against the people. Majority who are being made homeless are coming from the private rental sector. Solution : the government has to force through plans for social housing, tax empty houses or if no response from landlord compulsory re purchase orders. This can be fixed by the government. Refugees are straw men in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

How is it so??? You say not true, you prove it...

When someone makes a claim in a debate that others dispute, the person who makes the claim has the burden of proof. If you want us to believe that mainly all refugees don't work and never will work, please provide the evidence.

• Advertisement

When someone makes a claim in a debate that others dispute, the person who makes the claim has the burden of proof. If you want us to believe that mainly all refugees don't work and never will work, please provide the evidence.

The numbers speak for themselves to be honest.

Advertisement