Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What does Maggie cash have to say????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Colm Brophy of FG just said on Prime Time we have to take our fair share of asylum seekers as members of the EU. Ah that’s nice!!! ��������

Wonder what he's smoking to be honest, we dont have to take any of them if they're illegal as far as I'm concerned, legal on the otherhand or those screened by EU authorities are a different matter expecially if they're providing financial support to the state to house and educate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Colm Brophy of FG just said on Prime Time we have to take our fair share of asylum seekers as members of the EU. Ah that’s nice!!! ��������

Coalition of the willing or some such, which apparently only amounts to 6/7 members

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

bigroad wrote: »
    They do but local people should come first.
    Two doctors cars and two ambulance is disgraceful.
    There were no reports of anybody in a life and death situation.

Its all for show.
    Leo and co have to be seen to be falling over themselves lest they bosses abroad tut tut them.
    Sad really that resources for local people are put on hold to put on a show for the bosses in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"bosses abroad"

Conspiracy theory ****e. The next election here decides if Leo & crew keep their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

"bosses abroad"

Conspiracy theory ****e. The next election here decides if Leo & crew keep their jobs.

Leo couldn't care less about Ireland.

He's achieved what more than he could have possibly dreamed here, next stop is a station on the EU gravy train.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

jay0109 wrote: »
    They set up a mobile A&E unit in the Port....Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics...the full whack.
    CEO's from the Migrant NGO's sprinting into the offices of the Irish Media to get top billing on the evening radio shows and TV news. Prime Time giving it the full Miriam treatment.

If Virtue Signalling was an Olympic Event, Ireland would win Gold, Silver and Bronze every time. Embarrassing

I doubt there is any country on the planet that comes close to Ireland's ability to capitulate. Every time. No backbone in this country.

"bosses abroad"

The confidence and supply agreement makes a farce out of our political system. The two major parties agreeing to agree. A sham

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Woodenfloor

I had an ambulance which was to bring my 85 year old mother to hospital for a serious procedure cancelled on me this morning.. So there on the news I see ambulance after ambulance going through the double doors in Rosslare.. Ridiculous carry on in this country

Shocking carry on but unsurprising
    Vatadker should be kicked out ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Woodenfloor

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The confidence and supply agreement makes a farce out of our political system. The two major parties agreeing to agree. A sham

I'd say their -Ff fg- bank accounts look like credit card numbers
    Good old taxpayers

• Advertisement

Why should being anti immigration automatically make someone a scumbag? trust me there are many people who are but they just don't talk about it as they know they will be painted as a racist in this modern clown world. I love it when they use the Irish card "Irish emigrated everywhere", yes they did and the people in those countries didn't welcome them with open arms so why should we?

Why should I support something just because Irish people did it? Irish people also used to raid Scottish settlements 2000 years ago and probably raped the women, should I support that now?

Well... I'd understand their argument better if people from the US, mainland Europe or Australia were seeking asylum in Ireland. After all, that's where most Irish people ended up. And it's not as if those countries set up Irish people and provided for them... The Irish were essentially the poor and downtrodden in most countries they emigrated to. Seems a rather expensive case of virtue signalling going on to suggest that Irish people should foot the bill to set up everyone who claims asylum and not even consider how to send them home after a few years.. Instead, they're here to stay. Permanently.

But instead, we're getting asylum seekers from countries where there are very few Irish people in the past, or even to this day. How many people of Irish heritage are living in Iraq, Syria, Nigeria, etc? Somehow I suspect we're far past the numbers of Irish who ended up there even if we're talking about all Irish who ever left Ireland for somewhere else.

I'm also curious whether there's an expiration date on the whole Irish people went everywhere gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭enricoh

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/nearly-5-500-asylum-seekers-to-be-housed-in-new-direct-provision-centres-across-ireland-1.4091325?mode=amp

5500 asylum seekers to be housed in new direct provision centres at a cost of 320 million.
    Cultural enrichment aint cheap!

With brexit looming apparently there was no scope for tax cuts in the budget.
    E320 million for the asylum spoofer industry - no bother.
    Thats just for housing costs, more will be required for doctors, transport, schools etc etc.
    Stellar times for the asylum industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/nearly-5-500-asylum-seekers-to-be-housed-in-new-direct-provision-centres-across-ireland-1.4091325

So I see in the IT this morning that we're to take in and accommodate nearly 5500 asylum seekers (3762 applications so far this year alone) across the country at a cost of €320 million over the next few years.

The 16 lads found in a trailer coming from Iraq and Iran via war torn Cherbourg :rolleyes: are apparently among the first to get looked after (even though they thought they were going to the UK).

Now admittedly, I had a busy day yesterday so I guess I missed the news alert where we've solved the housing crisis, addressed the massive costs of living for ordinary workers and people commuting from 2 counties away to Dublin because of the aforementioned crisis, finally fixed the mess that is the HSE and primary care, addressed insurance hikes that affect the same ordinary people and close businesses, and all the other issues in this country?

Because otherwise I don't see how taking in more dubious asylum seekers is going to benefit anyone here - and make no mistake, as citizens and taxpayers we are certainly entitled to expect that these people should offer some positive benefit to our country and communities, not just add more pressure on already inadequate services and welfare costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The shameful lack of compassion expressed on thread is fairly depressing. Hopefully it’s simply a circle jerk of bitter nut jobs and not representative of the Irish as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What do you mean by lack of compassion?

I think Ireland as a country is extremely generous - possibly even too generous ! -to these asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The shameful lack of compassion expressed on thread is fairly depressing. Hopefully it’s simply a circle jerk of bitter nut jobs and not representative of the Irish as a whole.

Why should we have compassion for lads who got themselves into a safe country (France) but then decided to try their luck for the UK, and got lost among the trucks and became our problem?

I think you've mixed up who should feel sorry for whom.

Shocking carry on but unsurprising
    Vatadker should be kicked out ASAP

Don’t expect him or any of the main stream parties to change much. They might tinker around the edges ineffectually.

There are alternative options that ppl could vote for who say they will seriously deal with the immigration issue.

bigroad wrote: »
    They do but local people should come first.
    Two doctors cars and two ambulance is disgraceful.
    There were no reports of anybody in a life and death situation.

Agree. Absolutely farcical circus put on down in rosslare yesterday. All for the media and Facebook likes for Leo - who is obsessed with social media popularity

Vote wisely next time folks!

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think the genie is out if the bottle. We got away with it for a long time. Ireland the soft touch awaits.

Verona Murphy will probably top the poll ffs.

Verona is a FG candidate. Don’t expect much to change from them

No ID card system as well as English language.

Yep. The ID issue is a big draw factor. Anecdote but I know of a guy in the midlands area who goes by 3/4 different names. I believe he is genuinely a Romanian or possibly Bulgarian but cannot be certain.

Shop manager reported him for theft and I was told the guards were very very slow about actually investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There are alternative options that ppl could vote for who say they will seriously deal with the immigration issue.

What alternative options?

Boggles wrote: »
    What alternative options?

Go and do some research. There’s no excuse these days. Google is your friend !

Go and do some research. There’s no excuse these days. Google is your friend !

You made the claim it is up to you to back it up.

What's with the secrecy?

Be a man now and stop with the cowardice, what parties are you referencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

From the Irish Times...

In almost 20 years, the State has spent more than €1.3 billion on accommodation of asylum seekers, the vast majority going to private providers.

We're on schedule to spend 120 million this year alone, how many more can we take? We can't house our own but are expected to house anyone who arrives.

I'd say we've been pretty compassionate for a small country 200 billion in debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I suspect that you're the sort of gullible idiot who responds to emails from wealthy Nigerian businesspersons who need help to transfer millions of pounds out of their country.

Can the op edit the thread please. That monthly figure is not correct.

You made the claim it is up to you to back it up.

What's with the secrecy?

Be a man now and stop with the cowardice, what parties are you referencing?

There are a good number on the scene who SAY they will address the migration issue. I promote or endorse none in particular but at least they are addressing it.

I have zero-zilch-no faith in any of the mainstream parties on this issue.

There are a good number on the scene who SAY they will address the migration issue. I promote or endorse none in particular but at least they are addressing it.

That's great, but again what is with the secrecy?

Why can't you name 1 even?

That's great, but again what is with the secrecy?

Why can't you name 1 even?

There’s a good number out there. I don’t endorse any in particular. Go on YouTube do a search and see what ya come up with

Again to emphasize - FG FF Labour SF the greens have been absolutely woeful useless and dreadful on the migration issue as far as I am concerned.

I am a patient man but I am seeking out alternatives to vote for at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

"bosses abroad"

If Leo doesn't keep his job here, where do you reckon he'll rock up next?? Cosy little EU number.

Advertisement