Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭bloopy

jmayo wrote: »
    Give it time.
    And yes the problem at the moment is that the ones probably against the "open borders take them all in lunacy" are the God bothers and loonies who would bring us back to the good old 1950s.

And yes most of the ones backing ayslum seekers/economic migrants are as good as open borders because they always refuse to say how many is too many.
    There is never a cap mentioned just how people are deserving.

But Peter Casey was the lesson.
    A no hoper guy often not able to adequately argue his point, but yet going from around 1% to over 20% in a couple of weeks, with no political party behind him, with the entire media lambasting him just for calling a spade a spade as regards travellers and their total preferential treatment when it comes to things like housing, was a lesson in what a lot of Irish people really think.

The thing is if someone clued in, with media savvy and some charm takes the reigns they can make hay.
    There are a lot of people really pi**ed off with all the mainstream political parties in this country.

All it will take is someone competent to pop up.

From traveling around the country for the last month or so, it is noticeable how different the public conversation (radio, tv, etc) is when compared to the private conversation on this issue.

I think the parties in Ireland know this and might explain some of the utterances by politicians (including Leo) over the last few weeks.

The constant screaming of Bigot, Nazi, Fascist, etc, over the last few years has done nothing but reduce the impact of those words. People don't care anymore and I hear a lot of these words now used in a jokey way in conversations (interestingly, it seems most common in the younger generation).

The current crop of fringe parties are not popular yet. But eventually someone savvy enough will rise through their ranks.

The conversation seems to be happening on the ground, but it is fueled by rumour and suspicion of government intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Boggles wrote: »
    Who is "open borders"?

The narrative that we take in "too many" is demonstrable false, we do less than bare minimum, we don't even take the share we have signed up for.

You say we need to take our fair share that we have signed up as you have said above.
    What about the ones that arrived yesterday ?
    We also need to take in their family reunification, right ?
    How many is in allowed to be in that family by the way ?

Then you would be one of the ones that would be of the opinion that anyone from a warzone has a right to come to Europe, right ?

Then you know it might not be a warzone, but the person may claim they are under threat because of their beliefs, their sexual orientation, their gender disposition so they would have a right to seek asylum, right ?

Remember the Nigerian lad that claimed he should stay because he claimed he was under threat because some lads saw him living with some other lads and thought he was gay but he wasn't ?
    Does he have a right to seek asylum ?

When you add all the ones you reckon should be allowed seek asylum in EU and Ireland you have as good as open borders really.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There was an interesting graphic in the IT last Saturday.

It showed the number of Direct Provision Centres per county.

There are 2 in County Dublin. Yes - a grand total of 2. (Population of Dublin is 1.35 million)

There are 6 in Kerry. (Population of Kerry is 147,000)

It seems to be a case of sending the asylum seekers as far away from Kildare Street as possible.

And as far away from the where the majority of the advocates for the open border policy live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Who is "open borders"?

The narrative that we take in "too many" is demonstrable false, we do less than bare minimum, we don't even take the share we have signed up for.

Where do you find out how many we have signed up to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jmayo wrote: »
    You say we need to take our fair share that we have signed up as you have said above.

No I didn't I pointed out that we don't even take what we have signed up for.

The narrative been peddled by rampant simpletons that we are been overrun with asylum seekers or refugees is false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Racist rampant simpletons- its all u got boggles, yet yer still here peddling it (just no ones buying it anymore)
    Anyway, keep it coming boggles! Doing great work!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/final-cost-of-providing-direct-provision-accommodation-for-asylum-seekers-will-be-60m-over-budget-956042.html
    Minister of State at the Department of Justice, David Stanton said the “dramatic increase” in costs was driven by a 53% jump in asylum applications this year and the additional cost of providing emergency accommodation, with direct provision centres full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So you are a walking poll now?

Well he aint alone so. Cos I'm hearing the same.
    Everything isn't all rosy in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I heard about the property damage also

They should be pursued through the courts for the full amount to compensate the companies involved.

would unlikely to be be viable due to cost.
    such money could and would be unlikely to ever be recovered i would suspect.
    if such a case was subject to a bcr, i would be surprised if it would pass tbh.
    BPKS wrote: »
    There was an interesting graphic in the IT last Saturday.

It showed the number of Direct Provision Centres per county.

There are 2 in County Dublin. Yes - a grand total of 2. (Population of Dublin is 1.35 million)

There are 6 in Kerry. (Population of Kerry is 147,000)

It seems to be a case of sending the asylum seekers as far away from Kildare Street as possible.

And as far away from the where the majority of the advocates for the open border policy live.

or alternatively, and more likely, places outside dublin are more likely to have suitable buildings to house them. as in no hoper hotels that are not viable businesses and are unlikely to be so any time soon, or even again in some cases.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No I didn't I pointed out that we don't even take what we have signed up for.

The narrative been peddled by rampant simpletons that we are been overrun with asylum seekers or refugees is false.

So , how many have we signed up to take?

The shameful lack of compassion expressed on thread is fairly depressing. Hopefully it’s simply a circle jerk of bitter nut jobs and not representative of the Irish as a whole.

There's compassion and then there's slow paced suicide.

Ireland is not a major nation. It's gained a lot as being part of the EU, and while politicians might harp on about how successful Ireland is... it's still a small country on the edge of Europe. It doesn't have any major resource except people. Considering the rising costs of living in many parts of the country and the housing problems, you'd have to wonder at the belief that Ireland is such a successful country. Yup. It's successful because it's expensive to live there. If you're working and a taxpayer.

I constantly wonder at the attitude of people like yourself. You've seen the UK brought to its knees by immigration which happened over decades. Social division, failing health services, overstretched police force, etc. All those smaller town (never mind, the cities which were always dodgy) which have gone to the dogs. London is a cesspit. If a nation like Britain with all the resources available to them, with an established infrastructure and strong economic links with other nations can buckle... why wouldn't Ireland do the same? It's not as if Ireland really has a particularly better brand of politicians or government system.

If that's not enough of an example, perhaps look at France which is facing serious issues with social instability. But hey, that could never happen to us! Ahh yes, because the Irish have shown such a long standing ability to deal with our own social/cultural/economic divisions. :rolleyes:

It's time to be realistic. Ireland is facing failures in many of it's services for it's own people. It makes far more sense to deal with the migrants currently within Ireland, establish a working & efficient management of the nation (since I don't think we ever reached it before all the migration began), and settle the social problems that are growing within Ireland. You might want to put your head in the soil, but whenever I return to Ireland there's often indications of social stresses between the various social "classes" and ethnicities.

Once the Irish have managed to fix those kind of problems, then consider realistically, just how much compassion the country can show to others. Either way the nation will be in a far better place to help.

You do realise that there will always be more migrants wanting to come to Ireland? Ireland is not competing with other countries for a limited population. Other nations are going to continue to fail economically, and socially. As long as Europe/Ireland remains even remotely well-off, it'll be a target for migration. So, perhaps, have some patience and deal with Irish problems first before seeking to virtue signal by importing more problems that Irish people will have to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well he aint alone so. Cos I'm hearing the same.
    Everything isn't all rosy in the garden.

That particular poster has a reputation as a fibber and has admitted when he's talking alternatives to mainstream politics he's talking about cosplay fascist. So I would not take a single thing he has to say seriously.

Boards is full of the weird and wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ireland is not a major nation. It's gained a lot as being part of the EU, and while politicians might harp on about how successful Ireland is... it's still a small country on the edge of Europe. It doesn't have any major resource except people. Considering the rising costs of living in many parts of the country and the housing problems, you'd have to wonder at the belief that Ireland is such a successful country. Yup. It's successful because it's expensive to live there. If you're working and a taxpayer.

I constantly wonder at the attitude of people like yourself. You've seen the UK brought to its knees by immigration which happened over decades. Social division, failing health services, overstretched police force, etc. All those smaller town (never mind, the cities which were always dodgy) which have gone to the dogs. London is a cesspit. If a nation like Britain with all the resources available to them, with an established infrastructure and strong economic links with other nations can buckle... why wouldn't Ireland do the same? It's not as if Ireland really has a particularly better brand of politicians or government system.

If that's not enough of an example, perhaps look at France which is facing serious issues with social instability. But hey, that could never happen to us! Ahh yes, because the Irish have shown such a long standing ability to deal with our own social/cultural/economic divisions. :rolleyes:

It's time to be realistic. Ireland is facing failures in many of it's services for it's own people. It makes far more sense to deal with the migrants currently within Ireland, establish a working & efficient management of the nation (since I don't think we ever reached it before all the migration began), and settle the social problems that are growing within Ireland. You might want to put your head in the soil, but whenever I return to Ireland there's often indications of social stresses between the various social "classes" and ethnicities.

Once the Irish have managed to fix those kind of problems, then consider realistically, just how much compassion the country can show to others. Either way the nation will be in a far better place to help.

You do realise that there will always be more migrants wanting to come to Ireland? Ireland is not competing with other countries for a limited population. Other nations are going to continue to fail economically, and socially. As long as Europe/Ireland remains even remotely well-off, it'll be a target for migration. So, perhaps, have some patience and deal with Irish problems first before seeking to virtue signal by importing more problems that Irish people will have to experience.

Britain is not on its knees.

None of the problems you list are down to immigration or asylum seekers.

London is a wonderful city and was named the best city in the world by Trip Advisor this year.

Your argument is hysterical and almost wholly untrue.

If there were no asylum seekers coming to this country you would be blaming travellers, gays, loose women, the lazy unemployed or some such other group for the ills of society.

The ignorance, fear and hate in this thread is frightening. Plenty of Irish immigrants have face the same in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That particular poster has a reputation as a fibber and has admitted when he's talking alternatives to mainstream politics he's talking about cosplay fascist. So I would not take a single thing he has to say seriously.

Boards is full of the weird and wonderful.

I similarly take nothing you post seriously.

I made no such admission about “fascists”.

I challenge you to quote me where I said I support “cosplay fascists”.

I know you won’t find anything because I said repeatedly I don’t endorse any party

But typical from you and some others on this thread.

Personal attacks rather than addressing the argument.

Makey uppy rubbish from you and dare I say it’s true to your form on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Just from talking to ppl during my daily work tasks (traveling salesperson here) - I get to talk to a huge variety and cross section of society daily - a real privilege.

There’s HUGE disillusionment with the mainstream parties on the migration issue.

Ppl from all ages and sections of society have made that clear to me.

A sense it’s a runaway train almost ?

Ppl are looking for big changes.

Problem is that if any politician even makes mild criticism of immigration policy, they are hauled over the coals by the media and other politicians on and climbing the greasy pole.

The way some posters jump to insults like fascists and Nazis just shows how weak and feeble their arguments are.

fooling nobody these days.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Britain is not on its knees.

Right. Brexit is a sure sign of economic success. Have you visited the satellite towns around the major cities in the UK? Perhaps somewhere like Basingstoke, for example? That place is a dive with serious troubles with ethnicity.
    None of the problems you list are down to immigration or asylum seekers.

Solely, nope. They're definitely linked considering the drain that immigration has caused. But... I get it. You want crystal clear links. Black/White reasoning. Gotcha.
    London is a wonderful city and was named the best city in the world by Trip Advisor this year.

I'm guessing the person in TripAdvisor who named it the best city wasn't a woman walking alone in the inner city area? Nah. Don't answer. I can see where your attitude rests.
    Your argument is hysterical and almost wholly untrue.

Wholly untrue? Hardly. Subjective? Yup. An opinion piece, definitely.
    If there were no asylum seekers coming to this country you would be blaming travellers, gays, loose women, the lazy unemployed or some such other group for the ills of society.

Any evidence to back up that little tidbit?

And if you reread my post, I didn't once blame migrants for anything in Ireland.
    The ignorance, fear and hate in this thread is frightening. Plenty of Irish immigrants have face the same in other countries.

Hardly... how many Irish people have claimed asylum in other countries within the last 30 years? Go on.. love to hear your figures, and then the problems that those Irish asylum seekers faced.

The way some posters jump to insults like fascists and Nazis just shows how weak and feeble their arguments are.

fooling nobody these days.

Little Justin Barrett the guy whose "party" I assume you are thinking of giving that vote to is a fascist Nazi wannabe.

It's not weak or feeble to admit that. Go on, say it out loud.

Little Justin Barrett the guy whose "party" I assume you are thinking of giving that vote to is a fascist Nazi wannabe.

It's not weak or feeble to admit that. Go on, say it out loud.

You assume wrongly

Would take an apology but actually don’t particular value anything that comes out of your posts when you display such pig ignorance.

But that never stopped you before so go on, rev up the personal vicious insults !

Rather than you know, actually logically arguing your position. Keep it up. Good lad.

I similarly take nothing you post seriously.

I made no such admission about “fascists”.

I challenge you to quote me where I said I support “cosplay fascists”.

I know you won’t find anything because I said repeatedly I don’t endorse any party

But typical from you and some others on this thread.

Personal attacks rather than addressing the argument.

Makey uppy rubbish from you and dare I say it’s true to your form on boards

You have a reputation as a fibber. Reputations are made not given.

You where asked what 'alternatives' and refused to answer. You didn't deny your support for cosplay fascist.

Just say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If that's not enough of an example, perhaps look at France which is facing serious issues with social instability. But hey, that could never happen to us! Ahh yes, because the Irish have shown such a long standing ability to deal with our own social/cultural/economic divisions.

britain is "on it's knees" as you put it due to mismanagement, a refusal to invest in public services, a farming of what public services that do exist out to whoever to make them someone else's problem.
    even if all migrants went home from britain tomorrow the issues would remain.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

I told boggles repeatedly earlier to do his own research about alternative options to vote for

Repeatedly I said I do not endorse any party

He attempted to goad me at every turn.

The posts are there for everyone to read.

Now he ASSUMES I support Justin Barrett for some reason.

Ppl need to realise the way these posters operate on such threads like this.

Fooling nobody

You have a reputation as a fibber. Reputations are made not given.

You where asked what 'alternatives' and refused to answer. You didn't deny your support for cosplay fascist.

Just say it.

I’d appreciate an apology for your unfounded rubbishy BS

I told boggles repeatedly earlier to do his own research about alternative options to vote for

Repeatedly I said I do not endorse any party

He attempted to goad me at every turn.

Now he ASSUMES I support Justin Barrett for some reason.

Ppl need to realise the way these posters operate on such threads like this.

Fooling nobody

Why don't you just name these "alternative options" you keep referencing.

It's bizarre in the extreme you won't, any confusion is solely of your own making.

I will ask again who are these options?

You assume wrongly

Would take an apology but actually don’t particular value anything that comes out of your posts when you display such pig ignorance.

But that never stopped you before so go on, rev up the personal vicious insults !

Rather than you know, actually logically arguing your position. Keep it up. Good lad.

Nerve hit there when little Nazi boy was mentioned.

I’d appreciate an apology for your unfounded rubbishy BS

Muahhaha

Keep up the goading guys

Making my argument for me

britain is "on it's knees" as you put it due to mismanagement, a refusal to invest in public services, a farming of what public services that do exist out to whoever to make them someone else's problem.

Ahh shucks... on it's knees was overly dramatic. I'll give you that... but the rest?

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

"due to mismanagement, a refusal to invest in public services, a farming of what public services that do exist out to whoever to make them someone else's problem." That's all you. Not what I said anywhere in my post.

It's hilarious how those who oppose my post, are intent on reinterpreting my words.
    even if all migrants went home from britain tomorrow the issues would remain.

Oh. I completely agree. I didn't ask for them to leave. Nor did I suggest that those in Ireland leave either. As for Britain, it is decades of decline, and the damage is done, until they manage to repair it.

Now... perhaps quote and reply to me, rather than rewording my posts to suit yourself?

Why don't you just name these "alternative options" you keep referencing.

It's bizarre in the extreme you won't, any confusion is solely of your own making.

I will ask again who are these options?

Do your own research. There’s plenty of alternatives out there. You’ve no excuse !!

Nerve hit there when little Nazi boy was mentioned.

to be fair, if you called me a little nazi boy, I'd be calling the mods attention. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do your own research. There’s plenty of alternatives out there. You’ve no excuse !!

I have. I can't find any.

Will you please list them or name one or two?

Advertisement