Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

to be fair, if you called me a little nazi boy, I'd be calling the mods attention. :rolleyes:

Nobody called anyone in here "a little nazi boy".

You might want to reread the posts there chief before you make such accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    These 16 illegal immigrants from Asia should be deported today, I mean asap, within 24hrs of arrival.

I now know the 16 males are Kurdish.

From the little I know of the Kurds, I have sympathy with the general situation their country finds itself in.

However, they still entered Ireland illegally.

They say they really wanted to go to the UK, as if they have a menu or list of possible destinations.

So they are economic migrants, choosing where best to boost their own welfare.

And one could forgive them for doing that, fair enough.

Unlike the Irish 150 years ago, who emigrated legally, they have chosen to do so illegally.

If they are genuinely fleeing persecution, and that may be the case, then why not claim asylum in the many countries passed through between Iraq/Iran and here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Indo is calling them AS, before we know that they have claimed asylum.

Boggles wrote: »
    Nobody called anyone in here "a little nazi boy".

You might want to reread the posts there chief before you make such accusations.

Ahh yes, because connecting a poster with another poster isn't calling the original poster such. Right. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Ahh yes, because connecting a poster with another poster isn't calling the original poster such. Right. :rolleyes:

Read his post again. It's quite clear who the little nazi boy is.

• Advertisement

ok. Not my fight. I'll stick to the thread subject matter.

Dig up FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Boggles wrote: »
    No I didn't I pointed out that we don't even take what we have signed up for.

The narrative been peddled by rampant simpletons that we are been overrun with asylum seekers or refugees is false.

How many have we signed up for?

How many have we signed up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

These guys should be sent back to France, which last time I checked was a relatively safe country.
    These "poor lads" (if you listen to the Morning Ireland bleeding heart brigade) have according to some reports caused a €1,000,000 worth of damage to the lorry cargo.
    They should be charged with this property damage too.

Yeah, whatever was in the container will have to be dumped even if it wasnt touched due to contamination fears.
    Iirc there is massive fines in the uk for the haulier for every stowaway thats in their truck. Dunno if its the same here?
    Poor lads is right, wrote off the cargo + possible fines for haulier - at least they got out of that, eh, hellhole france in one piece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can someone be an asylum seeker and an illegal economic migrant at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

There's compassion and then there's slow paced suicide.

Ireland is not a major nation. It's gained a lot as being part of the EU, and while politicians might harp on about how successful Ireland is... it's still a small country on the edge of Europe. It doesn't have any major resource except people. Considering the rising costs of living in many parts of the country and the housing problems, you'd have to wonder at the belief that Ireland is such a successful country. Yup. It's successful because it's expensive to live there. If you're working and a taxpayer.

I constantly wonder at the attitude of people like yourself. You've seen the UK brought to its knees by immigration which happened over decades. Social division, failing health services, overstretched police force, etc. All those smaller town (never mind, the cities which were always dodgy) which have gone to the dogs. London is a cesspit. If a nation like Britain with all the resources available to them, with an established infrastructure and strong economic links with other nations can buckle... why wouldn't Ireland do the same? It's not as if Ireland really has a particularly better brand of politicians or government system.

If that's not enough of an example, perhaps look at France which is facing serious issues with social instability. But hey, that could never happen to us! Ahh yes, because the Irish have shown such a long standing ability to deal with our own social/cultural/economic divisions. :rolleyes:

It's time to be realistic. Ireland is facing failures in many of it's services for it's own people. It makes far more sense to deal with the migrants currently within Ireland, establish a working & efficient management of the nation (since I don't think we ever reached it before all the migration began), and settle the social problems that are growing within Ireland. You might want to put your head in the soil, but whenever I return to Ireland there's often indications of social stresses between the various social "classes" and ethnicities.

Once the Irish have managed to fix those kind of problems, then consider realistically, just how much compassion the country can show to others. Either way the nation will be in a far better place to help.

You do realise that there will always be more migrants wanting to come to Ireland? Ireland is not competing with other countries for a limited population. Other nations are going to continue to fail economically, and socially. As long as Europe/Ireland remains even remotely well-off, it'll be a target for migration. So, perhaps, have some patience and deal with Irish problems first before seeking to virtue signal by importing more problems that Irish people will have to experience.

Wondering what the attitude to all this will be with next downturn economically. When things cross the board are cut again. And this ****e is still on going. When people really feel it in their pockets and welfare cuts maybe drastically next time due to more people dependant on it.

From the little I know of the Kurds, I have sympathy with the general situation their country finds itself in.

They say they really wanted to go to the UK, as if they have a menu or list of possible destinations.

Unlike the Irish 150 years ago, who emigrated legally, they have chosen to do so illegally.

If they are genuinely fleeing persecution, and that may be the case, then why not claim asylum in the many countries passed through between Iraq/Iran and here?

Welfare non existent 150 years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ahh shucks... on it's knees was overly dramatic. I'll give you that... but the rest?

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

"due to mismanagement, a refusal to invest in public services, a farming of what public services that do exist out to whoever to make them someone else's problem." That's all you. Not what I said anywhere in my post.

It's hilarious how those who oppose my post, are intent on reinterpreting my words.

Oh. I completely agree. I didn't ask for them to leave. Nor did I suggest that those in Ireland leave either. As for Britain, it is decades of decline, and the damage is done, until they manage to repair it.

Now... perhaps quote and reply to me, rather than rewording my posts to suit yourself?

nobody put any words in your mouth.
    nobody reinterpreted what you stated.
    we replied to exactly what you said.
    in my case i informed you that britain's issues are actually down to the reasons i stated in my previous post and another poster informed you that britain was in fact, not on it's knees at all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

We have no idea where these fellahs come from..not a breeze.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/two-children-among-asylum-seekers-found-on-ferry-bound-for-ireland-38715699.html
    The men, who are all from the Middle East, were assessed and found to be in general good health. It is believed they thought they were en route to the UK. The men are understood to be aged between 20 and 35 years of age but gardaí are attempting to establish if one of them is a juvenile.

The first,and most pressing issue for the Government,and the many interested parties,is that everybody be on message as to the "Victim" status of this crowd.

We must subscribe,and be seen & heard to concur with the basic premise of victimhood at all costs.

No questioning of this line is permitted on official media channels,and every effort will be made to sideline questioning to elements of the media which can be debunked as Ultra-Right or similarly knuckle dragging in ethos.

Mainstream editors will have already been appraised of the need to keep comment within "acceptable" guidelines,and will be happy to comply in this regard.

It is,of course,an added bonus,if Child status can be somehow added to the list of items which render people immune to rational,reasonable response.

However,occasionally,we might see evidence that the on-message element had'nt reached everybody...
    In a briefing last night, Superintendent James Doyle, of Wexford garda station, said gardaí had yet to confirm whether one male is a juvenile.

It is of note that this gang were rapidly taken to Dublin,once offloaded from the Ferry,even though it was apparently obvious that their health was not an issue...
    Wexford councillor Ger Carthy, who is an advanced paramedic, was among the team waiting in Rosslare yesterday afternoon when the boat docked, to ascertain the condition of the men on board.

He said that the men did not say anything to him about the circumstances surrounding how they ended up there.

But he added that they were "very fit young men".

The Independent councillor said around 15 medical staff, including paramedics and doctors, were on hand to assess the men.

Having been assessed On Board,it would have been prudent to ensure the group were securely contained there and returned on the next sailing...that is the only easily understood message which Traffickers,and their CUSTOMERS,understand.

Superintendent Doyle elaborated a tad further ....
    He said it was difficult to say how long they were in the container, but possibly five to 10 hours.

"They were in excellent condition."

"They were medically assessed and they were all proved to be medically sound and they were in good spirits and good health

You better believe it :D

Mind you,the "Child" angle appears to now revolve around one presumably fresh-faced lad...
    He described the men as having some "broken English", and said that they are believed to be between 20 and 35, although they are seeking to establish if one of them is a juvenile.

Anyway....the Game is on,Watson...
    They were due to be transferred as a group to a reception area in Dublin last night.

The Irish "system" is now primed to wrap it's welcoming arms around this group,with little or no chance of them ever burdening their home authorities again.

This news will already have been flashed around the various mainland European migrant "Jungles",which will immediately interest other hopefuls.

So for now.....
    "They may wish to claim asylum, which they are entitled to do, or they may wish to be returned to the safe country from which they came.

"But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Maybe that bridge between Donegal & Scotland is what he has in mind ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

nobody put any words in your mouth.
    we replied to exactly what you said.

Hilarious. I pointed out where you rewrote what I said putting your own spin on things, and still you deny it.

Let me remind you... "due to mismanagement, a refusal to invest in public services, a farming of what public services that do exist out to whoever to make them someone else's problem."

That's not in my post. Your words. Not mine. I didn't even mention any of those things... except... at a stretch, the aspect of mismanagement.
    in my case i informed you that britain's issues are actually down to the reasons i stated in my previous post and another poster informed you that britain was in fact, not on it's knees at all.

Yup. Not on its knees. My mistake. Too dramatic for here.

The rest of what I said stands (no pun intended) though .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hilarious. I pointed out where you rewrote what I said putting your own spin on things, and still you deny it.

Let me remind you... "due to mismanagement, a refusal to invest in public services, a farming of what public services that do exist out to whoever to make them someone else's problem."

That's not in my post. Your words. Not mine. I didn't even mention any of those things... except... at a stretch, the aspect of mismanagement.

Yup. Not on its knees. My mistake. Too dramatic for here.

The rest of what I said stands (no pun intended) though .

my reply is not putting a spin on what you said or anything else of the sort.
    it is simply a reply stating that the issue you claim is responsible for britain being as it is is not responsible, but the issues i stated are the ones actually responsible.
    so again, nobody put any words in your mouth.
    we replied to exactly what you said stating that something different is the cause of britain's issues.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

my reply is not putting a spin on what you said or anything else of the sort.
    it is simply a reply stating that the issue you claim is responsible for britain being as it is is not responsible, but the issues i stated are the ones actually responsible.
    so again, nobody put any words in your mouth.
    we replied to exactly what you said stating that something different is the cause of britain's issues.

I give up. I figured you might want to engage in an actual discussion, but both the reinterpretation and these replies, show that you're not. /Ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just from general chit chat today with about 40-50 members of the public, ppl are outraged at the lavish services “laid on” from on high to these ppl when we have Irish homeless and ppl on healthcare lists growing every day

Someone put it well - a sense that nobody cares about our own

:/

Unreal anger out there.

The powers that be would do well to heed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just from general chit chat today with about 40-50 members of the public, ppl are outraged at the lavish services “laid on” from on high to these ppl when we have Irish homeless and ppl on healthcare lists growing every day

Indeed,yet no questioning of the rationale behind the fabtastic turn out....once this crowd were found to be hale & hearty,it should have been bon voyage and straight back to la belle Francaise.

Instead,Rosslare Europoort can expect a busy Christmas. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

One man used quite strong language -“Fine Gael is saying FCUK YOU to the Irish and welcoming in these ....”

I was taken aback by the anger today from ppl who looked like they wouldn’t knock the top off a buttercup. There’s unreal anger out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

The general election just cannot come soon enough. Micheal "no cojones" Martin should pull the plug on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One man used quite strong language -“Fine Gael is saying FCUK YOU to the Irish and welcoming in these ....”

I was taken aback by the anger today from ppl who looked like they wouldn’t knock the top off a buttercup. There’s unreal anger out there.

We are been taken for a ride and unfortunately the young don't vote and also believe everything they see on rte as their agenda has changed and the news imo is getting watered down big time.

Many think everything is going great and we must help everyone and anyone as the Irish left these shores to go to other countries....

They are in denial and don't realise the Irish went to work, worked hard and weren't housed, fed, clothed, medicated or treated with any respect whatsoever and worked like dogs.

We didn't leave and then get handouts.

Guy was on today FM earlier stating how terrible it is for those coming in and been put in dp centres and the €38 measly amount they are on and so on....

He stated we should be providing them all with homes and in the communities and that children shouldnt be there as they are lumped in with all sorts of asylum seekers.....

Seemed quite an odd comment but he wants us to basically give them all their own houses.

The presenter did not ask one question and let him go unchallenged.
    He stated he was from South Africa, didn't realise there was a war there....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The presenter did not ask one question and let him go unchallenged.
    He stated he was from South Africa, didn't realise there was a war there....
    He's a Sth African asylum seeker (a 'safe' country apparently but the rules mean nothing these days as we've seen in Rosslare) who leads up an Asylum Seeker NGO/lobby group. Only in Ireland!

jay0109 wrote: »
    He's a Sth African asylum seeker (a 'safe' country apparently but the rules mean nothing these days as we've seen in Rosslare) who leads up an Asylum Seeker NGO/lobby group. Only in Ireland!

I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing he wasn't questioned one bit about it.

I find it hard enough having to listen to our leaders on how to live and having to just put up with everything as it is....

Then we have an asylum seeker telling us we must provide them all with a actual house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

€3.54m isn't that much on the grand scale of things.. what are people expecting to solve domestically with that.

Cop yourselves on.

jay0109 wrote: »

The first question that should be asked what war or kind of persecution he was fleeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

JJJJNR wrote: »
    €3.54m isn't that much on the grand scale of things.. what are people expecting to solve domestically with that.

Cop yourselves on.

I hate feeding the troll but you know as well as I do that this 3.5m is only a portion of what is spent on 'Asylum Seekers' each month.
    That 3.5 converts to €42m a year - just on hotel rooms!! . How many houses would that build ? How many Nurses or Gardai would it employ ? How many potholes would it fill ?
    As I said, that 42m is only a portion of our spend. I'd be willing to bet that the overall spend is many, many multiples of that.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »

Cop yourselves on.

Many would say you are the one that needs a lot of that.

Anyway any amount if wasted imo is too much....

This scam will be another scandal in years to come and I wouldn't be surprised if people get huge payouts from it.

What they want and what we can provide which imo is way too much as it is.

If you arrive here you should be sent back on whatever airlines that allowed you travel especially when so many magically lose their passport from the walk from the plane to entry at immigration...

Set up detention centres and hold them until they are given approval or remove.

There are way too many appeals and these are dragged on and on and on.

Many end up having kids here while waiting and many find an Irish partner to do so....

It's actually quite worrying what is going on and we will be the worst off in the end.

Advertisement