Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

These guys should be sent back to France, which last time I checked was a relatively safe country.
    These "poor lads" (if you listen to the Morning Ireland bleeding heart brigade) have according to some reports caused a €1,000,000 worth of damage to the lorry cargo.
    They should be charged with this property damage too.

That damage figure cannot be true..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It was pharmaceutical supplies. Such a shame.

Geuze wrote: »
    I now know the 16 males are Kurdish.

From the little I know of the Kurds, I have sympathy with the general situation their country finds itself in.

However, they still entered Ireland illegally.

They say they really wanted to go to the UK, as if they have a menu or list of possible destinations.

So they are economic migrants, choosing where best to boost their own welfare.

And one could forgive them for doing that, fair enough.

Unlike the Irish 150 years ago, who emigrated legally, they have chosen to do so illegally.

If they are genuinely fleeing persecution, and that may be the case, then why not claim asylum in the many countries passed through between Iraq/Iran and here?

If they really really really really wanted to go to the UK send them there. They passed through many countries to get here, we can just be another.

Pretty hurt they didn't consider us the ideal destination, going to have to up our game

Free miniature flags for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they really really really really wanted to go to the UK send them there. They passed through many countries to get here, we can just be another.

Pretty hurt they didn't consider us the ideal destination, going to have to up our game

Easier to blend in and get through the crack in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What's true in the media these days. No one knows. People can only go through on what is clearly known. 16 people tried to enter country illegally. So ? What do you think should happen. Set a precedent and give complete open arms welcome. In doing so inviting more the same through illegal trafficking. Or take the hard stance now. Yes disgruntled people initially but hey we'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Reported on RTE today - all of the (legal) drugs in the container, valued at €1m, will have to be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Given our huge national debt that we must service I find it incredible that we are paying ever increasing sums to accommodate (mainly bogus) asylum seekers - it would be like a broke household taking in more and more lodgers and paying them to stay with you. We truly are governed by complete fruit loops here

What's true in the media these days. No one knows. People can only go through on what is clearly known. 16 people tried to enter country illegally. So ? What do you think should happen. Set a precedent and give complete open arms welcome. In doing so inviting more the same. Or take the hard stance now. Yes disgruntled people initially but hey we'll get over it.

Personally, I think they should be allowed claim asylum which should be processed with 2 months while they are held on a centre location whatever you want to call it. If denied a plane back to where they claim to be from. If approved a place in a direct provision centre until they want or have the means to move out.

But I don't make the rules.

Must disagree with anyone saying there are alternatives. All parties that have a chance of influencing the formation of the next government groupthink on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It was pharmaceutical supplies. Such a shame.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Source?

Most news channels today quoted meds worth €1,000,000 gonna be destroyed because of these pr1cks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

road_high wrote: »
    Given our huge national debt that we must service I find it incredible that we are paying ever increasing sums to accommodate (mainly bogus) asylum seekers - it would be like a broke household taking in more and more lodgers and paying them to stay with you. We truly are governed by complete fruit loops here

The EU are paying for it.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Whoes paying for the bogus ones?

Personally, I think they should be allowed claim asylum which should be processed with 2 months while they are held on a centre location whatever you want to call it. If denied a plane back to where they claim to be from. If approved a place in a direct provision centre until they want or have the means to move out.

But I don't make the rules.

Must disagree with anyone saying there are alternatives. All parties that have a chance of influencing the formation of the next government groupthink on this.

So would you apply same methods to the next lot and the next and the next? Or believe that our border controls will be tightened sufficiently or that of other countries. Another question. How did the authorities that be identify them as Kurd? Is there a tattoo somewhere on them all?

So would you apply same methods to the next lot and the next and the next? Or believe that our border controls will be tightened sufficiently or that of other countries. Another question. How did the authorities that be identify them as Kurd? Is there a tattoo somewhere on them all?

No idea on the Kurd.

I don't know, you have to allow people to claim asylum, the key to the whole thing is processing them quickly and deporting this who are rejected to where they claim to be from. There doesn't seem to be a political will to do anything though.

Varadker dances to the tune of the Twitter brigade

No idea on the Kurd.

I don't know, you have to allow people to claim asylum, the key to the whole thing is processing them quickly and deporting this who are rejected to where they claim to be from. There doesn't seem to be a political will to do anything though.

Varadker dances to the tune of the Twitter brigade

Think someone should tell him we know he does. I agree genuine asylum seekers in, bogus out. The problem is a trustworthy and full proof system providing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

171170 wrote: »
    Reported on RTE today - all of the (legal) drugs in the container, valued at €1m, will have to be destroyed.

I suppose the IRHA cannot comment on this, or the consequences for the haulage company and there insurance costs, since Verona Murphy was silenced, she probably has a better knowledge of immigration issues than a lot of the people criticising her.

Just from general chit chat today with about 40-50 members of the public, ppl are outraged at the lavish services “laid on” from on high to these ppl when we have Irish homeless and ppl on healthcare lists growing every day

Someone put it well - a sense that nobody cares about our own

:/

Very interesting. I wonder after the comprehensive hatchet job our liberal do gooder moral superiors have done on Verona Murphy could they be in for a big surprise if she were to romp home in next weeks elections for telling a few mild home truths and asking a few even milder questions? Anyone got in any local opinion polling from wexford?
    There have been several examples in the south east in recent years where people have had to wait ridiculous timeframes for an ambulances in real emergencies yet they were queuing up the ferry deck yesterday to care for people that had never set foot or indeed paid a red cent tax here. I’d say many people were quietly furious at the spectacle

Blueshoe wrote: »

And as net EU contributors we are paying for it. There’s not some magic money tree out in Brussels. An utter farce and the problems lies with the ridiculously porous southern borders of Europe that need massive shoring up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Many would say you are the one that needs a lot of that.

Anyway any amount if wasted imo is too much....

This scam will be another scandal in years to come and I wouldn't be surprised if people get huge payouts from it.

What they want and what we can provide which imo is way too much as it is.

If you arrive here you should be sent back on whatever airlines that allowed you travel especially when so many magically lose their passport from the walk from the plane to entry at immigration...

Set up detention centres and hold them until they are given approval or remove.

There are way too many appeals and these are dragged on and on and on.

Many end up having kids here while waiting and many find an Irish partner to do so....

It's actually quite worrying what is going on and we will be the worst off in the end.

Yeah and your a shining example of glory yourself, sure push the spot light back on the mirror.

Problem is they are not spending enough money on the likes of you..

JJJJNR wrote: »
    €3.54m isn't that much on the grand scale of things.. what are people expecting to solve domestically with that.

Cop yourselves on.

God no wonder we had such recent National budget over runs- money isn’t confetti we can just throw around. It must be hard earned first. And the 3.5 million is the tip of the iceberg as it doesn’t factor in the large welfare, health, education etc costs we must also shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

So you think 3.5 mill is going to make a difference.. where would it make a difference.

So you think 3.5 mill is going to make a difference.. where would it make a difference.

Anywhere you like- how many extra teachers, SNAs or nurses could we employ rather than wasting it on welfare migrants that never contributed a penny here. Genuine asylum seekers (ie those fleeing actual wars) yes. But when I see the likes of Albania, Georgia and South Africa as topping the asylum bill I can see something very wrong is going on with our process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It is sheer lunacy.

How many properties would that buy to house families in homeless accommodation.

I know numerous families on council waiting lists that are working but can't get mortgages due to insufficient deposits due to borrowing eligibility and property costs.

That money could allow so many to be housed.

It's outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

41 million a year would make a difference in a lot of places. What happens when the economy goes into recession again and the pool becomes smaller. Germany has slowed the last 2 periods and another puts it in recession.

A further spend of 320 million on top of that is being committed over the next few years. It's madness.

Another 16 (all males in good health from Asia), today likely to add to the he hotels bill.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1121/1094266-rosslare/

Seems a long way to go from SEAsia or somewhere, to Rosslare Europort via Belgium.

Was only a chance discovery was made by a ferry staff member who heard banging from inside the truck (on a scheduled Stena Line ferry from France).
    Looks like Cherbourg etc, needs additional staffing otherwise build more (non-tourist) hotels.

As far as I'm aware the law regarding claiming asylum is clear.
    To make a valid and legal asylum claim, you need to claim in the 1st safe country you enter.

Anyone found entering the country by illegal means should be deported immediately.

The EU already share out the legitimate claims made.
    Allowing those who enter illegally to register legitimate claims only encourages trafficking.

My husband had former colleagues (hgv drivers) held at gunpoint in calais. A favourite in jungle days was screws thrown over the road to try and puncture tyres to force drivers at knife or gunpoint to smuggle people.

If you have a legitimate Asylum case you lodge your case legally. Only criminals attempt to enter in any other way.

road_high wrote: »
    Anywhere you like- how many extra teachers, SNAs or nurses could we employ rather than wasting it on welfare migrants that never contributed a penny here. Genuine asylum seekers (ie those fleeing actual wars) yes. But when I see the likes of Albania, Georgia and South Africa as topping the asylum bill I can see something very wrong is going on with our process

The so called economic migrants that can afford to spend thousands to be smuggled in.

That money is being fronted by criminal gangs to get their operators in.

There's compassion and then there's slow paced suicide.

Ireland is not a major nation. It's gained a lot as being part of the EU, and while politicians might harp on about how successful Ireland is... it's still a small country on the edge of Europe. It doesn't have any major resource except people. Considering the rising costs of living in many parts of the country and the housing problems, you'd have to wonder at the belief that Ireland is such a successful country. Yup. It's successful because it's expensive to live there. If you're working and a taxpayer.

I constantly wonder at the attitude of people like yourself. You've seen the UK brought to its knees by immigration which happened over decades. Social division, failing health services, overstretched police force, etc. All those smaller town (never mind, the cities which were always dodgy) which have gone to the dogs. London is a cesspit. If a nation like Britain with all the resources available to them, with an established infrastructure and strong economic links with other nations can buckle... why wouldn't Ireland do the same? It's not as if Ireland really has a particularly better brand of politicians or government system.

If that's not enough of an example, perhaps look at France which is facing serious issues with social instability. But hey, that could never happen to us! Ahh yes, because the Irish have shown such a long standing ability to deal with our own social/cultural/economic divisions. :rolleyes:

It's time to be realistic. Ireland is facing failures in many of it's services for it's own people. It makes far more sense to deal with the migrants currently within Ireland, establish a working & efficient management of the nation (since I don't think we ever reached it before all the migration began), and settle the social problems that are growing within Ireland. You might want to put your head in the soil, but whenever I return to Ireland there's often indications of social stresses between the various social "classes" and ethnicities.

Once the Irish have managed to fix those kind of problems, then consider realistically, just how much compassion the country can show to others. Either way the nation will be in a far better place to help.

You do realise that there will always be more migrants wanting to come to Ireland? Ireland is not competing with other countries for a limited population. Other nations are going to continue to fail economically, and socially. As long as Europe/Ireland remains even remotely well-off, it'll be a target for migration. So, perhaps, have some patience and deal with Irish problems first before seeking to virtue signal by importing more problems that Irish people will have to experience.

I fully agree. Having returned from there.

Saying London is a cesspit is an understatement.

I have tried explaining to people since coming home what it's like and they just don't get it.

It's scary, I have never felt a fear like it. Even after the 7/7 bombings it wasn't so bad. Every time going out in public places I had this crushing anxiety. It wasn't just me. It's in the air. It's an atmosphere all over the city. I have a strong Irish accent and I was afraid to open my mouth.

East and SE London are no go areas. In a few years west wii also be. It's already a **** hole but heading for a no go zone very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

One man used quite strong language -“Fine Gael is saying FCUK YOU to the Irish and welcoming in these ....”

I was taken aback by the anger today from ppl who looked like they wouldn’t knock the top off a buttercup. There’s unreal anger out there.

People aren't fool's, they're well aware that this kind of activity will only encourage more of the same unless it's clamped down on quickly. Most wont have an issue with legal immigration or those that come here who can support themselves. I don't have a problem either if those who present themselves at a legal point of entry in the EU and are looking to be resettled along with support and integration from them.

The problem is this kind of illegal activity risks us suffering the same problems that England suffered in terms of immigration, we're not in a position to offer that much support we have our own problems as it is and don't have the resources to be taking in people indefinitely. I also don't like that those who came in on the truck illegally can just claim asylum instead of being returned to France where they came from as all that's gonna happen is more are going to do it, if they were all sent back it would mean less would risk it as they'd either end up dying or being deported anyways. Only when the risk is far too high and there being too little chance of reward for it will this kind of activity stop. End of the day deporting them to France isnt the same as deporting them to Syria and they shouldn't be getting here like this to begin with.

The parties should also be wary of pandering too much to the pro immigration group's because at the end of the day people know what happened in England with these issues they only get angrier and vote them out or risk more extreme views getting entrenched if illegal activity isnt stamped out firmly and those who enter like this are only rewarded with a return to their point of origin. Asylum should not be an option if they came from a safe country it's like everything else it will be exploited.

I fully agree. Having returned from there.

Saying London is a cesspit is an understatement.

I have tried explaining to people since coming home what it's like and they just don't get it.

It's scary, I have never felt a fear like it. Even after the 7/7 bombings it wasn't so bad. Every time going out in public places I had this crushing anxiety. It wasn't just me. It's in the air. It's an atmosphere all over the city. I have a strong Irish accent and I was afraid to open my mouth.

East and SE London are no go areas. In a few years west wii also be. It's already a **** hole but heading for a no go zone very fast.

Im assuming this is a migrant generated anxiety rather than from the native English?

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »
    Britain is not on its knees.

None of the problems you list are down to immigration or asylum seekers.

London is a wonderful city and was named the best city in the world by Trip Advisor this year.

Your argument is hysterical and almost wholly untrue.

If there were no asylum seekers coming to this country you would be blaming travellers, gays, loose women, the lazy unemployed or some such other group for the ills of society.

The ignorance, fear and hate in this thread is frightening. Plenty of Irish immigrants have face the same in other countries.

Your right Britain is not on its knees. Its currently drowning and trying desperately to stay afloat gasping for air.

London is a **** hole. The west End in Central London is OK ish. East and south east are no go zones, rhun by gangs who would stab you as quick as look at you.

West London don't go out by yourself after dark.

I spent the last 10 years there and for the last year I was too afraid to go outside my front door. When I did car doors locked and head down if I was walking as if I looked up and caught the attention of the wrong person I could easily get stabbed or acid thrown in my face.

Advertisement