Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I only recently found out that people in direct provision can go to universities and grt the grants etc. Thought you had to be an EU citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

That damage figure cannot be true..

Medication, due to safety precautions around it, requires a chain of secure custody at all times. It will have to be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Medication, due to safety precautions around it, requires a chain of secure custody at all times. It will have to be destroyed.

And not a word about who should pay for it and the criminality involved. If I rocked up to some other country and destroyed a valuable load of goods I guarantee it wouldn’t be asylum I’d be getting- the special kitten glove treatment starts even Before their legs touch Irish soil. They could have sank the whole ship the other day and still our idiotic authorities would lay on the red carpet. Really starting to see why Australia take a hard line now on this carry on

road_high wrote: »
    Im assuming this is a migrant generated anxiety rather than from the native English?

Have you ever walked into a room and felt tension in the air. You know you have walked in on a massive argument etc. It's that feeling magnified.

Everywhere is tense, agitated and just waiting for something bad to happen.

It's a combination of everything and on top of it you have scumbag teenagers stabbing people, acid attacks, terrorists people dying of poverty.

It's just horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

• Advertisement

And not a word about who should pay for it and the criminality involved. If I rocked up to some other country and destroyed a valuable load of goods I guarantee it wouldn’t be asylum I’d be getting- the special kitten glove treatment starts even Before their legs touch Irish soil. They could have sank the whole ship the other day and still our idiotic authorities would lay on the red carpet. Really starting to see why Australia take a hard line now on this carry on

As soon as they were declared fit they should be deported immediately. They broke the law the minute they failed to claim asylum in the first safe country.

Im assuming this is a migrant generated anxiety rather than from the native English?

Well.. the problem is that the UK has been experiencing immigration for decades, without any clear idea of how to integrate them. They embraced the whole multiculturalism gig as they didn't really have much choice what being an empire and all. And so, without any plans for integration, many cultures established themselves separate from the mainstream British culture. Some integration and cross-over of cultural perception, but most immigrants kept their original cultural attitudes. Then, throw in the economic situation of migrants, since in many cases, they ended up in the less affluent areas, many turned to youth crime, which in turn, evolved into something far more vicious.

The responses to my post earlier clearly show that some posters are unwilling to accept that Ireland is following the UK in the manner of their immigrants, asylum seekers, or illegal immigrants. There is no plan for integration, and multiculturalism is being preached as being wonderful, in spite, of it not working anywhere long term. While the migrants are currently being supported by the State, most come from countries which weren't anything close to 1st world, so they neither have the education or skills to fit into the Irish economy. There's little real effort to change that either, from what I've read.

I won't even mention the dreaded aspect of religious differences because that's a red flag to every SJW, and it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion about it.

The point is that the UK had no plan for the integration of it's migrants. Neither does Ireland. I pointed this out earlier, and posters reinterpreted my post as being an attack on the migrants. It's not because there's no point in doing so. The migrants are here, and they're not going to leave. It makes logical sense to deal with the migrants currently in Ireland, before importing more. But that's not concurrent with the virtue signalling going on here, so I suspect it'll be ignored once more, for more aggressive interpretations.

London is a cesspit because of both the migrants/migrant children, and the many of the native population. The UK hasn't the revenue to provide for everyone(no country does), and their services are failing as a result. Their education levels are dropping, and with Brexit there's even less work for people. This isn't directly the fault of migrants... but they added considerably to the costs to the State to provide for the population. Just as they will in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

As soon as they were declared fit they should be deported immediately. They broke the law the minute they failed to claim asylum in the first safe country.

I don't believe that is correct, the Dublin regulation requires that a refugee claiming asylum should normally have their claim examined in the first EU country they land in but if they haven't been registered in another EU country as claiming asylum then their application has to be considered in that country. It does allow for abuses of the system no doubt and you'd think that someone genuinely seeking refuge from another country would look to seek asylum in the first safe country they land in but that isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Yeah and your a shining example of glory yourself, sure push the spot light back on the mirror.

Problem is they are not spending enough money on the likes of you..

What in all that isn't holy are you on about....

I don't believe that is correct, the Dublin regulation requires that a refugee claiming asylum should normally have their claim examined in the first EU country they land in but if they haven't been registered in another EU country as claiming asylum then their application has to be considered in that country. It does allow for abuses of the system no doubt and you'd think that someone genuinely seeking refuge from another country would look to seek asylum in the first safe country they land in but that isn't the case.

This isn’t about asylum it’s about economic/welfare shopping. And who offers the best deal. If it wasn’t they’d all be in Greece, southern Italy and Spain still

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

And as net EU contributors we are paying for it. There’s not some magic money tree out in Brussels. An utter farce and the problems lies with the ridiculously porous southern borders of Europe that need massive shoring up

That is true we are net contributers now. There have been a few EU/Un reports on European possible futures and the future of immigration into the EU. This is only the beginning. Statements like "Africa's share of global population is projected to grow from 16% in 2015 to 25% in 2050 and 39% by 2100" paint a picture of ever increasing immigration numbers. Coupled with falling birth rates and climate change we ain't seen nothing yet

Blueshoe wrote: »
    That is true we are net contributers now. There have been a few EU/Un reports on European possible futures and the future of immigration into the EU. This is only the beginning. Statements like "Africa's share of global population is projected to grow from 16% in 2015 to 25% in 2050 and 39% by 2100" paint a picture of ever increasing immigration numbers. Coupled with falling birth rates and climate change we ain't seen nothing yet

That’s the scary thing. These areas are experiencing massive population growth with no ability to support the numbers. Sensible Birth control isn’t even on the radar. Europe’s geography and location makes us uniquely vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

If you house a group of asylum seekers together they will not integrate into our society but keep to themselves. They will therefore not learn our language as well nor as quickly; they will keep their own language as much as possible.

If you house a group of asylum seekers together they will not integrate into our society but keep to themselves. They will therefore not learn our language as well nor as quickly; they will keep their own language as much as possible.

The point being before all that we can’t afford to house them full stop- together or alone

Oh yeah we should give them all free houses....

There is absolutely no issues there at all......

Real world thinking right there.

You are completely missing the fact that they were caught red handed breaking the law. That is grounds itself for any asylum claim being rejected.

How do you propose that we put a stop to smuggling and trafficking unless we actually enforce the fact that all asylum applications should be processed in a correct and legal way

Well, we could house the ethnic groups with historical hatreds for each other within the same area. African tribal hatreds being high on the list but the M.Eastern nationalities have their own examples. That might solve some problems.

It's simply amazing how indifferent people are to the backgrounds of the peoples coming into Ireland, like they're a blank slate waiting for indoctrination by our glorious culture and civilization. Surely, people would have realized long ago, that people import their cultures, religions, and hatreds along with them. It's not as if they're coming here to embrace western culture as being superior to their own. They're here for the economic benefits, and will want their own cultures to gain influence once they become settled. Ahh.. multiculturalism.. So many lessons gleefully ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Well, we could house the ethnic groups with historical hatreds for each other within the same area. African tribal hatreds being high on the list but the M.Eastern nationalities have their own examples. That might solve some problems.

It's simply amazing how indifferent people are to the backgrounds of the peoples coming into Ireland, like they're a blank slate waiting for indoctrination by our glorious culture and civilization. Surely, people would have realized long ago, that people import their cultures, religions, and hatreds along with them. It's not as if they're coming here to embrace western culture as being superior to their own. They're here for the economic benefits, and will want their own cultures to gain influence once they become settled. Ahh.. multiculturalism.. So many lessons gleefully ignored.
    There's a kind of reverse racism going on where no one from another culture can never ever do any wrong, can never scam they're all fine upstanding citizens. There's an almost childlike and naive thinking among many here in Ireland that we (the Irish) are universally loved and everyone wants to be Irish.. Well they don't...
    We as a nation seem to be stuck in a permanent adolescence such is our need to be loved and patted on the head by our masters as we show them we're the bestest and most tolerant and most wellcomeing of them all... In reality a country which has never grown up

Extremely well said and I see it every day working with the public.

They are a guest in our country but many are extremely bitter towards us and dare I say racist towards whites.

Of course not all but I've come across many over the years.

Direct provision going forward will be very different according to a minister on newstalk during the week. It will move to a model of independent living. No more people wedged into a hotel room together. It will be apartments for families and independent living for individuals.
    Once word gets out I wonder will applications increase or decrease

Great country.

• Advertisement

Extremely well said and I see it every day working with the public.

They are a guest in our country but many are extremely bitter towards us and dare I say racist towards whites.

Of course not all but I've come across many over the years.

One thing i never hear from them is any morsel of gratitude for the very kind and free hospitality of the Irish taxpayers- it's always some sob story about the alleged poor conditions, restricted freedoms and of course the racism they face. I'm pretty tired of it tbh

Direct provision going forward will be very different according to a minister on newstalk during the week. It will move to a model of independent living. No more people wedged into a hotel room together. It will be apartments for families and independent living for individuals.

Great country.

They've risen dramatically already and that's supposedly hell for them so you can only imagine the rise in "asylum" once word gets out on the enhanced freebies. Also big pressure from the NGO's who feed off the farce to allow work permits (roughly translated mean full welfare "entitlements"). The bill will probably snowball into the billions per annum if and when all this happens.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-of-asylum-claims-reaches-10-year-high-1.3745511
    In 1993 we had just 91 asylum seekers (and I'd presume genuine ones from war torn Bosnia at that time) but then the numbers exploded very nicely in tandem with our economic boom/s. Imagine if we hadn't had the Referendum in 2004 where we'd be?

Well.. the problem is that the UK has been experiencing immigration for decades, without any clear idea of how to integrate them. They embraced the whole multiculturalism gig as they didn't really have much choice what being an empire and all. And so, without any plans for integration, many cultures established themselves separate from the mainstream British culture. Some integration and cross-over of cultural perception, but most immigrants kept their original cultural attitudes. Then, throw in the economic situation of migrants, since in many cases, they ended up in the less affluent areas, many turned to youth crime, which in turn, evolved into something far more vicious.

The responses to my post earlier clearly show that some posters are unwilling to accept that Ireland is following the UK in the manner of their immigrants, asylum seekers, or illegal immigrants. There is no plan for integration, and multiculturalism is being preached as being wonderful, in spite, of it not working anywhere long term. While the migrants are currently being supported by the State, most come from countries which weren't anything close to 1st world, so they neither have the education or skills to fit into the Irish economy. There's little real effort to change that either, from what I've read.

I won't even mention the dreaded aspect of religious differences because that's a red flag to every SJW, and it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion about it.

The point is that the UK had no plan for the integration of it's migrants. Neither does Ireland. I pointed this out earlier, and posters reinterpreted my post as being an attack on the migrants. It's not because there's no point in doing so. The migrants are here, and they're not going to leave. It makes logical sense to deal with the migrants currently in Ireland, before importing more. But that's not concurrent with the virtue signalling going on here, so I suspect it'll be ignored once more, for more aggressive interpretations.

London is a cesspit because of both the migrants/migrant children, and the many of the native population. The UK hasn't the revenue to provide for everyone(no country does), and their services are failing as a result. Their education levels are dropping, and with Brexit there's even less work for people. This isn't directly the fault of migrants... but they added considerably to the costs to the State to provide for the population. Just as they will in Ireland.

You have a very valid point. There are whole areas of city's where the residents have lived for 30-40 years and cannot even speak English. They refuse to integrate, never sent there kids to school 0and completely turn their backs on anyone who tries too.

My manager at work was cut off by his family for seeking employment out of the community and marrying a white girl. The grooming gangs that feature in the press every few years as men from particular ethnic backgrounds think western culture and in particular white girls are trash.

It's just not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great country.

What makes 16 men decide "you know where we should go? - Ireland, one of the smallest with the most grim climate and the furthest and most difficult to get to"?

Now word will be out they'll get an apartment on arrival (even though they won't because we don't even have enough homes for our own)

It's a bit moronic really, isn't it?

What makes 16 men decide "you know where we should go? - Ireland, one of the smallest with the most grim climate and the furthest and most difficult to get to"?

Now word will be out they'll get an apartment on arrival (even though they won't because we don't even have enough homes for our own)

It's a bit moronic really, isn't it?

Ireland has a great climate actually- very hospitable with few extremes. It’s actually ideal for human inhabitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On a lighter, slightly cheeky note, those who are waiting years to be housed here, should go abroad, and claim asylum on return.
    Free house, SW, driving lessons, and so on.

Can you imagine? I wish someone would do it for a lark.

Sorry if I have taken the thread tone down, it's Saturday and I'm fed up with all this mullarkey.

Verona Murphy will top the poll in Wexford I reckon.

On a lighter, slightly cheeky note, those who are waiting years to be housed here, should go abroad, and claim asylum on return.
    Free house, SW, driving lessons, and so on.

Can you imagine? I wish someone would do it for a lark.

Sorry if I have taken the thread tone down, it's Saturday and I'm fed up with all this mullarkey.

Verona Murphy will top the poll in Wexford I reckon.

Has anyone polling data from Wexford? Be interesting to see the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ll be honest I think it’s more a publicity stunt from her

Let’s not lose the reason over her - she’s running for FG don’t forget !

• Advertisement

I’ll be honest I think it’s more a publicity stunt from her

Let’s not lose the reason over her - she’s running for FG don’t forget !

We all know every election will be either FF or FG in power. There is no real difference between them and currently they have a deal in place to agree with each other! The media are on board to keep the status quo. Just work, pay tax and die. Keep in line and don't go against the grain.

Boris Johnson has said he would like to see the UK have a points based immigration system similar to Australia post Brexit.
    We haven't seen anything yet with regards to immigration/ economic migrants/ refugees/asylum seekers.
    Any politician who dares to bring up the subject is promptly hammered. There is no alternative. There is no choice.

Advertisement