Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

road_high wrote: »
    Has anyone polling data from Wexford? Be interesting to see the figures

Interesting article in today’s Indo by their editor Fionnan Sheehan writing about how her party actually hope she loses. In the course of the article he doesn’t quote a single name, it’s a senior minister, a TD,another minister, a source.
    So Fine Gael don’t believe in democracy then?

The Indo are in full pro immigration mode today in various articles, Martina Devlin arguing DP is not fit for purpose and having 550k immigrants in a population of 4.7 million is no big deal, other countries have a bigger percentage.
    Had a look at the Irish Times and they have an ongoing series of articles promoting taking in more immigrants, where is all this coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Direct provision going forward will be very different according to a minister on newstalk during the week. It will move to a model of independent living. No more people wedged into a hotel room together. It will be apartments for families and independent living for individuals.
    Once word gets out I wonder will applications increase or decrease

Great country.

Can we just get rid of the government and make decisions via twitter poll in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Interesting article in today’s Indo by their editor Fionnan Sheehan writing about how her party actually hope she loses. In the course of the article he doesn’t quote a single name, it’s a senior minister, a TD,another minister, a source.

The Indo are in full pro immigration mode today in various articles, Martina Devlin arguing DP is not fit for purpose and having 550k immigrants in a population of 4.7 million is no big deal, other countries have a bigger percentage.
    Had a look at the Irish Times and they have an ongoing series of articles promoting taking in more immigrants, where is all this coming from?

Fionnan himself is pure FF so be careful to read into the obvious agendas going on. I’d say a very large part of FG do agree with her and do support her. Outside of the RTE liberal love in I feel opinions are very very different indeed

Can anyone explain why housing people in direct provision is unacceptable to some?

They are safe (not in a warzone, free from persecution), fed, warm, have a roof over their head, get a weekly allowance which they can supplement by working.

Like Jindar is a refugee from Syria, last week he was hiding under rubble as the homophobic gangs seemed to kill him, but direct provision is worse as it makes him bored?? Like wtf

What is exactly inhumane or wrong with it?

It's the length of time it takes to process people, and the time lost to appeals etc that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Many in power have businesses or their pals so having these centres is the best thing ever as the money is getting to them directly and indirectly.

Other services too.

• Advertisement

I’ll be honest I think it’s more a publicity stunt from her

Let’s not lose the reason over her - she’s running for FG don’t forget !

All politicians do and say things to get elected- with Verona Murphy I sense she’s picked up on a palpable public anger that our liberal moral betters want to extinguish and discredit in any way possible. I’m interested to see how this plays out in the ballot box

Many in power have businesses or their pals so having these centres is the best thing ever as the money is getting to them directly and indirectly.

Other services too.

If you have a rundown hotel or big property in some obscure location these centres are mana from heaven

Can anyone explain why housing people in direct provision is unacceptable to some?

They are safe (not in a warzone, free from persecution), fed, warm, have a roof over their head, get a weekly allowance which they can supplement by working.

Like Jindar is a refugee from Syria, last week he was hiding under rubble as the homophobic gangs seemed to kill him, but direct provision is worse as it makes him bored?? Like wtf

What is exactly inhumane or wrong with it?

It's the length of time it takes to process people, and the time lost to appeals etc that's the problem.

It tells me things mustn’t have been too bad where they came from so. I can guarantee you my parents had it a damn sight harder growing up in Ireland in the 1950s and 60s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Can we just get rid of the government and make decisions via twitter poll in the future?

There is nothing we can do. Central Bank will be announcing changes to mortgage lending rules on 4th December. Government has already said they want the rules relaxed regarding the amount that can be borrowed. Small housing stock will become more expensive overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

All politicians do and say things to get elected- with Verona Murphy I sense she’s picked up on a palpable public anger that our liberal moral betters want to extinguish and discredit in any way possible. I’m interested to see how this plays out in the ballot box
    That and the fact that her work in the haulage business has shown her a few home truths first hand. She's been to Calais and has seen what goes on there and elsewhere

• Advertisement

That and the fact that her work in the haulage business has shown her a few home truths first hand. She's been to Calais and has seen what goes on there and elsewhere

She’s a self made small/medium business woman with a hint of working class about her- some of the private school law soc set in FG don’t like that. More than a hint of snobbery about it but I really like her and can see she’s been going down well with the ordinary voter in Wexford

It tells me things mustn’t have been too bad where they came from so. I can guarantee you my parents had it a damn sight harder growing up in Ireland in the 1950s and 60s.

To be fair it's mostly Irish people complaining about DP, I just feel like I am missing something

They’ve been literally at the coal face of it in Europe for years and the ones who’ve paid the price for it- the penalties and fines are severe even if completely innocent

To be fair it's mostly Irish people complaining about DP, I just feel like I am missing something

You mean the Ivana Baciks of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They’ve been literally at the coal face of it in Europe for years and the ones who’ve paid the price for it- the penalties and fines are severe even if completely innocent
    She was interviewed many a time as the president of the road hauliers assoc. No doubt after the election she'll jion the ranks of the rte "disappeared"

She was interviewed many a time as the president of the road hauliers assoc. No doubt after the election she'll jion the ranks of the rte "disappeared"

It depends on the voters now - the media have done everything in their power to sabotage her. I’d love to see her elected if only for the jaw drops in lefty moral guardian Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

From the irish times, the joke is on us folks. Anyhow, mustn't grumble as its racist , keep sucking it up paddy!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/new-direct-provision-housing-for-asylum-seekers-is-running-over-budget-1.4092381?mode=amp
    Three contracts have been awarded in the midwest, the southeast, and the midlands. In the midlands, it had been estimated the contract would be worth €11 million, by the final contract awarded was worth €27.6 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Meanwhile...there is no money for the Irish disabled, not a cent.
    Maybe their holiday/respite care resort in fine surrounds, will be converted into some other 'C€ntre'.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rally-roscommon-holiday-home-4902260-Nov2019/

Meanwhile...there is no money for the Irish disabled, not a cent.
    Maybe their holiday/respite care resort in fine surrounds, will be converted into some other 'C€ntre'.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rally-roscommon-holiday-home-4902260-Nov2019/

Didn't Simon Harris cut some sort of benifit paid to the disabled in education?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Direct provision going forward will be very different according to a minister on newstalk during the week. It will move to a model of independent living. No more people wedged into a hotel room together. It will be apartments for families and independent living for individuals.
    Once word gets out I wonder will applications increase or decrease

Great country.

Sounds great. I might go homeless and get an independent living space. Of course I’ll have I rip up my passport before I do.

Extremely well said and I see it every day working with the public.

They are a guest in our country but many are extremely bitter towards us and dare I say racist towards whites.

Of course not all but I've come across many over the years.

TBH, in my experience of migrants feeling anger or urest in Ireland or any western country, it's usually been the second generation. The first generation being too busy working to provide a home for them to have any time to dwell on any inequalities or the essence of their own culture. The second generation, on the other hand, have spent time growing up entirely, or as teens, and found the west to be lacking in some way. Probably because their trips back to the homeland are a holiday rather than any kind of extended stay.

However... and there is a however... migration patterns have changed. We're seeing far more asylum seekers, and illegal migrants than before. These are typically fleeing economic or some other kind of hardship, and they're bringing with them a feeling that they're being forced to leave their countries.. and in many cases, they won't accept any responsibility for their own culture, but rather blame the west in it's entirety as being responsible. Naturally we're responsible for what colonial powers did, or the US has done more recently. This is where things become murky with the religious angle.

I'm not seeking to bring religion into this. That kind of thread has been done to death, with the sides clearly drawn, and the threads generally get shut down quickly. [It's mostly a reference for those who agree Religion is an issue, rather than seeking to spark any debate on it. We all know where those who oppose religion being a cause stand. No need to rehash old arguments.. ] In any case, we're importing trouble because many asylum seekers, and migrants aren't going to be grateful for whatever they receive in the West. Many will, but there will be a fair amount who won't. That can be seen already in many European countries where violence, and social unrest has occurred.

Didn't Simon Harris cut some sort of benifit paid to the disabled in education?

There was a training allowance (circa €30 per month) paid to Disability Allowance recipients that was abolished in September. Was a small helping hand to help pay for bus fares, lunch, stationary etc.
    We can look forward to more of this going forward as they rob other budgets to pay for welfare migrants- no money appears from thin air so it will have to come from elsewhere.

There was a training allowance (circa €30 per month) paid to Disability Allowance recipients that was abolished in September. Was a small helping hand to help pay for bus fares, lunch, stationary etc.
    We can look forward to more of this going forward as they rob other budgets to pay for welfare migrants- no money appears from thin air so it will have to come from elsewhere.

Read the article I posted above

Read the article I posted above

Saw it thanks- what we are seeing here is preferential treatment for non Irish non-taxpayers non-contributors. Reverse discrimination in summary.

What makes 16 men decide "you know where we should go? - Ireland, one of the smallest with the most grim climate and the furthest and most difficult to get to"?

Not really. From what I've heard, Ireland is one of the easier European countries to get into. So, they'll do a few years in Ireland, and then skip off to another EU country with an Irish passport, and then reapply for citizenship there.
    Now word will be out they'll get an apartment on arrival (even though they won't because we don't even have enough homes for our own)

It's a bit moronic really, isn't it?

I suspect homes will be found for them somewhere. The government seems far more interested in helping migrants than Irish people, so I'd imagine they'll simply start pressuring home owners who are renting out their premises (to pay off the mortgage) to give them to migrants instead of Irish people (at some kind of discount, naturally). I wouldn't put such a thing past Irish governments.

I don't think they'll leave here once they get Irish/EU passports at all- I've certainly seen no evidence of that happening in the past twenty years really (the opposite in fact).
    We have one of the highest standards of living in Europe, virtually no actual racism or discrimination, a very comprehensive welfare, health and education system. We may not have the opportunities of bigger nations like the UK/England or Germany but all in all a very sweet deal can be had here with zero questions asked. The evidence is in the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

enricoh wrote: »
    From the irish times, the joke is on us folks. Anyhow, mustn't grumble as its racist , keep sucking it up paddy!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/new-direct-provision-housing-for-asylum-seekers-is-running-over-budget-1.4092381?mode=amp
    Three contracts have been awarded in the midwest, the southeast, and the midlands. In the midlands, it had been estimated the contract would be worth €11 million, by the final contract awarded was worth €27.6 million.

Fcukin hell

Those figures stopped me in my tracks

There seems to be absolutely eye watering amounts of money in this “industry”

Paddy and Patricia tax payer being royally stiffed over this but sure what’s new

Depressing tbh

Advertisement