Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fcukin hell

Those figures stopped me in my tracks

There seems to be absolutely eye watering amounts of money in this “industry”

Paddy and Patricia tax payer being royally stiffed over this but sure what’s new

Depressing tbh

Money for jam- and no doubt "who ya know" being the only criteria for selection. If only I'd bought a dead hotel in some one horse town up the west or midlands.

road_high wrote: »
    I don't think they'll leave here once they get Irish/EU passports at all- I've certainly seen no evidence of that happening in the past twenty years really (the opposite in fact).
    We have one of the highest standards of living in Europe, virtually no actual racism or discrimination, a very comprehensive welfare, health and education system. We may not have the opportunities of bigger nations like the UK/England or Germany but all in all a very sweet deal can be had here with zero questions asked. The evidence is in the numbers.

Fair enough, although I would point out that migration patterns are changing. Just because, in the past, most stayed, doesn't mean the future will. Should Ireland become less attractive for them, they'll move on. Although, as you say, I suspect that most will stay in Ireland, simply because mainland Europe is likely to turn very hostile to migrants over the next decade or so.

(I know three migrant families who came here as asylum seekers who have since moved to Germany and Spain. They stayed long enough (about five years) to make some savings, become certified in a profession and get their passports, and off they went. My Mum used to teach their kids.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

This thread deserves a special facepalm award.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

alastair wrote: »

Great comment. Fantastic insight coupled with rational thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

alastair wrote: »

Shocking is'nt it ?

Worse still is when you read the comments.....yea even more Facepalming....;)

https://www.thejournal.ie/rally-roscommon-holiday-home-4902260-Nov2019/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Mokuba wrote: »
    National unemployment rate as of the last census - 13%.

For the following nationalities living in Ireland (as of 2016 census) the unemployment rate is as follows:
    • Pakistani - 34%
    • Nigerian - 43%
    • Saudi Arabian 45%
    • Congolese - 63%

Non-Irish as a percentage of the population as of last census - 11.6%
    Non-Irish as a percentage of people approved for social housing as of HNA 2018 - 25.4%

Cost to us (the taxpayer) of providing direct provision accommodation for asylum speakers in 2019 - estimated by David Stanton to be €130 million.
    Average length of time for asylum seekers to receive a decision regarding their asylum application in Ireland - 15 months.
    Rise in the number of asylum seekers seeking asylum in Ireland from 2018 to 2019 - 53%

Sounds good right? Maybe we could look at Germany to see the benefits of this to us cos so far it doesn't sound too good!
    • In 2018, The Wall Street Journal analysed German crime statistics for crime suspects and found that non nationals who made up 12.8% of the population, made up 34.7% of all crime suspects. Say it isn't so!

I can't possibly see what could go wrong here. Bring in more Leo, more!

Crying foul here !

It simply CANNOT be so :mad:

The Wall Street Journal is NOT an NGO,so nothing it printes can be deemed acceptable...Not enough Skin in the game !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Shocking is'nt it ?

Worse still is when you read the comments.....yea even more Facepalming....;)

https://www.thejournal.ie/rally-roscommon-holiday-home-4902260-Nov2019/

And funnily enough the journal.ie is traditionally supported by SF and left leaning voters- the very parties who are most pro migration. Think we might be seeing the start of a major push back here, especially amongst the working classes.
    So lots more face palming to come me thinks. They’ll be worn out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

And funnily enough the journal.ie is traditionally supported by SF and left leaning voters- the very parties who are most pro migration. Think we might be seeing the start of a major push back here, especially amongst the working classes.
    So lots more face palming to come me thinks. They’ll be worn out

I voted for SF once as they were different to FF and FG.
    They are worse.
    Facepalm

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I voted for SF once as they were different to FF and FG.
    They are worse.
    Facepalm

If you’re perma on the dole or a welfare tourist I could see the easy appeal alright. Outside of that there is absolutely no reason to vote SF PBP and associated doom merchants.

• Advertisement

Verona Murphy doesn’t appear damaged in the slightest by her assertions of this is anything to go by locally -
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/local-and-vocal-what-does-wexford-think-of-verona-murphy-1.4092217%3fmode=amp

In fact some people seem attracted to her stand point

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From an opinion piece in the Irish Independent

Verona Murphy's unique take on asylum seekers and Isil infiltration has the party bracing for impact and almost fearful of her winning a seat.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/fionnn-sheahan-rise-of-the-right-is-making-this-a-byelection-fg-cant-afford-to-win-38718669.html

"Unique take"?

What planet are these people living on?

When people feel the country is being abused what do they expect?
    "It has politics at a crossroads. You are seeing the emergence of this kind of under-the-counter right. Those views wouldn't be the views of the majority of people but some all right," a minister told the Irish Independent.

I beg to differ to be honest.
    A party veteran was more blunt in his assessment: "I think he should have f***ed her off the ticket. If she is elected, she will be rewarded.

"Where will it stop? Everyone will be at that craic and there are no sanctions."

There you have it. No criticism of our immigration system or else...

Verona Murphy doesn’t appear damaged in the slightest by her assertions of this is anything to go by locally -
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/local-and-vocal-what-does-wexford-think-of-verona-murphy-1.4092217%3fmode=amp

In fact some people seem attracted to her stand point

What the FG ruling elite fail to appreciate,is that Verona Murphy does'nt actually have to do much canvassing on this issue at all.

The entire Asylum/Immigrant shennanigans has now become so blatantly obvious,that all Local/National Candidates will be questioned on their stance.

The answers they provide will sway the votes of a significant chunk of the Irish electorate.

It's open to lively debate as to which way that sway will go......;)

From an opinion piece in the Irish Independent

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/fionnn-sheahan-rise-of-the-right-is-making-this-a-byelection-fg-cant-afford-to-win-38718669.html

"Unique take"?

What planet are these people living on?

When people feel the country is being abused what do they expect?

Young Fionnán,has to be on-message in order to preserve his position amongst the PolCorrs and maintain access to our movers & shakers.

Even the words of an unnamed TD reveal the harsh reality of being exposed to the Public Gaze perhaps a tad too much.....
    It's a view shared by another party TD: "We sometimes fool ourselves about how tolerant and inclusive we are. There is a complete other side to Ireland, particularly amongst older people who are not used to this level of diversity as they didn't grow up with it.

If citing Ageism,is the only rationale,this lad can come up with,then his seat is definitely in danger as there is a chunk of 30 y/o + people,all working their butts off,yet finding themselves waaay down the States pecking order but taking earnest note of the upsurge in funding and associated programmes to help smooth the way for a succession of "persecuted" peeps from whatever continent is deemed Dangerous/Oppressive on any given day.
    "A lot of people agree with her sentiments about migration. She will do well. What will we do if she wins? Can you have someone with those views in the party?

"If this was a general election, she'd have slipped through and she'd be in the Dáil. You wouldn't even know who she was until she turned up on the plinth."

Sounds like a TD worried about which side of his mouth to use tomorrow ?

What the FG ruling elite fail to appreciate,is that Verona Murphy does'nt actually have to do much canvassing on this issue at all.

The entire Asylum/Immigrant shennanigans has now become so blatantly obvious,that all Local/National Candidates will be questioned on their stance.

The answers they provide will sway the votes of a significant chunk of the Irish electorate.

Yea I think she opened a locked Pandora’s box - a sacred pillar we aren’t allowed question for fear of being labelled “racist”.
    With plans to bring in more plus an ever growing list of “Independent” welfare migrants this issue isn’t going away despite the moral elites best efforts to shut it down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It really is about time we were allowed to voice our opinions on this issue freely.

Last time I looked I thought we lived in a free country with a decent democratic element to it (PR voting for one).

But now I am getting a bit worried that ANY dissenting voice that actually speaks some sense and is not just a mouthpiece for nefarious groups (if you get me), you know, those who speak for the ordinary Joe and Josie are being totally silenced by the day.

No one can criticise the asylum system, it has many failings, and it totally assists those who are bogus, but they are not weeded out toot sweet are they? So on it goes. Facebook and SM sends the word out. Are our Government mad, blind or what? Do they not see how they are being scammed by the day or what? If we can see it, surely they can. I am baffled.

The silencing of any criticism of the disjointed way asylum seekers are looked after compared to our own is verboten. Not to mention the astronomical cost of it either. We cannot, we are not allowed to say it anymore.

That is despicable. And there will be a backlash. I think the genie is kind of out of the bottle now.

There is no way this issue would ever be allowed to be debated on any media. Just saying. Would be shut down immediately. That is worrying in a democracy.

Qui Bono here?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus this thread.

giphy.gif

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus this thread.

giphy.gif

Anything productive to add to the discussion? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jesus this thread.

giphy.gif

What boggles me is your post....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Jesus this thread.

giphy.gif

Yep this country in about 20 year I'd reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Jesus this thread.

giphy.gif

Is that from Sweden ?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's global warming for you....

Fire on water.

We are doomed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Crying foul here !

It simply CANNOT be so :mad:

The Wall Street Journal is NOT an NGO,so nothing it printes can be deemed acceptable...Not enough Skin in the game !
    Like I've always said AS look to every single other European country that has embraced, or more usually had this multicultural bollocks imposed from above, and see the results. Even goes for the New World ex European colonies. You can be remarkably psychic about the outcome a decade or so later as it's always the same and it'll be the same here and like elsewhere we will be "informed" not to speak of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anything productive to add to the discussion? :p
    Going on previous, nothing but the usual empty platitudes and a fervent hope he can claim racism, while throwing banal digs around. Near zero chance of anything concrete by way of argument. See above.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Going on previous, nothing but the usual empty platitudes and a fervent hope he can claim racism, while throwing banal digs around. Near zero chance of anything concrete by way of argument. See above.

Ah well, at least we can see them coming out of the woodwork! I wouldn't have an issue if poster actually SAID something, doesn't matter what, but silly gifs and pix don't cut the mustard. So there we are.

Jesus this thread.

giphy.gif

I'm not so sure of the "Jesus" bit,but I think I can see where you're coming from....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

statesaver wrote: »
    Is that from Sweden ?:pac:

The latest SAAB model the censor

How many teachers or nurses or gardai would this be? At
    a salary of 40k per annum it's a thousand of whatever you want to employ. Or tax cuts or just less debt

My favorite is comparing it to....
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/defence-forces-wages-so-low-they-are-told-not-to-have-children-870171.html

Our defence personnel were advised to not have Children because their pay and conditions are so bad. It's really no surprise that people jump to conspiracy theories about replacement might yadda yadda yadda

Anyway it's a bit too much. We can't put the rest of the world ahead of ourselves of it means ruining our living standards. We already have enough of our own problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Wibbs wrote: »
    Like I've always said AS look to every single other European country that has embraced, or more usually had this multicultural bollocks imposed from above, and see the results. Even goes for the New World ex European colonies. You can be remarkably psychic about the outcome a decade or so later as it's always the same and it'll be the same here and like elsewhere we will be "informed" not to speak of it.

Yeaaah. You’re deluded.

Advertisement