Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

alastair wrote: »
    Yeaaah. You’re deluded.

What is the poster deluded about?

Line by line now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What is the poster deluded about?

Line by line now. Thanks.

Every single claim made in that nonsensical post. Captured enough for you? 🙄

Every single claim made in that nonsensical post. Captured enough for you? 🙄

Not really. You need to argue your point or shut up quite frankly.

Not really. You need to argue your point or shut up quite frankly.

Your advocacy for free speech didn’t travel very far, did it? Colour me soo surprised.

Your advocacy for free speech didn’t travel very far, did it? Colour me soo surprised.

Oh come on dear, what is your problem.

The AS system in this country is mad. And people are fighting back now. Might give the politicos food for thought.

We have the right to say things, but apparently in our Democracy Travellers and Asylum seekers are off the grid.

Why is that do you think?

• Advertisement

Thing is - your thesis is nothing but fearful guff. That straightforward enough for you, ‘dear’?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

How many teachers or nurses or gardai would this be? At
    a salary of 40k per annum it's a thousand of whatever you want to employ. Or tax cuts or just less debt

My favorite is comparing it to....
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/defence-forces-wages-so-low-they-are-told-not-to-have-children-870171.html

Our defence personnel were advised to not have Children because their pay and conditions are so bad. It's really no surprise that people jump to conspiracy theories about replacement might yadda yadda yadda

Anyway it's a bit too much. We can't put the rest of the world ahead of ourselves of it means ruining our living standards. We already have enough of our own problems.

Climate change anyone? Greto girl not floating across the Atlantic for nothing ya know

Thing is - your thesis is nothing but fearful guff. That straightforward enough for you, ‘dear’?

Any intelligent rebuttal would be welcome, but I am not getting anything like that from you. Wonder why.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeaaah. You’re deluded.
    Yes, I'm the one who is deluded...

OK then, pick any major city in western "multicultural" Europe, which areas are the most likely to be the most socially deprived and with the most social problems and crime? And what do they tend to have in common along ethnic lines? Who's more likely to be in gaol? A White person, a Black or Brown person or a Yellow person? Oh yes and before you say it's all because of racism, I mostly agree with you, but that doesn't change the facts.

Show me any western European country that has avoided the social problems of "multiculturalism", show me one where all this "diversity" works and mark me, works for the non local population. And no, exceptions prove the rule. Just because the mayor if I dunno Lyon is a Black man or woman, doesn't negate the fact that crappiest parts of the same city are mostly likely to be made up of the non local population.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ask an average Swede how it's gone for their country and they will be happy to tell you (as a warning)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It really is about time we were allowed to voice our opinions on this issue freely.

Last time I looked I thought we lived in a free country with a decent democratic element to it (PR voting for one).

But now I am getting a bit worried that ANY dissenting voice that actually speaks some sense and is not just a mouthpiece for nefarious groups (if you get me), you know, those who speak for the ordinary Joe and Josie are being totally silenced by the day.

No one can criticise the asylum system, it has many failings, and it totally assists those who are bogus, but they are not weeded out toot sweet are they? So on it goes. Facebook and SM sends the word out. Are our Government mad, blind or what? Do they not see how they are being scammed by the day or what? If we can see it, surely they can. I am baffled.

The silencing of any criticism of the disjointed way asylum seekers are looked after compared to our own is verboten. Not to mention the astronomical cost of it either. We cannot, we are not allowed to say it anymore.

That is despicable. And there will be a backlash. I think the genie is kind of out of the bottle now.

There's constantly threads on this dominated by people expressing the same view as you.
    That is criticising the asylum system.
    Go and support Gemma (if you are not doing it already) if you want a bit of notoriety around it.

And the last couple of sentences suggesting (practically hoping for) a backlash if you don't get your way is all very Nigel Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The recent economic migrants caught travelling across during the week have already fooked off up north, I'd always thought our dole and social housing was far superior to the UK...

IRISH-MAIL-ON-SUNDAY-PAGE-ONE-24.11.19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

9 of them have gone according to the Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The recent economic migrants caught travelling across during the week have already fooked off up north, I'd always thought our dole and social housing was far superior to the UK...

Less chance of been caught and deported from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Less chance of been caught and deported from the UK.

You are joking I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That's makes a mockery of the entire "asylum" thing.

And makes our response to them look ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The Mail is saying that the asylum seekers who fled Belgium (and now many of whom are fleeing Ireland) said they were Iraqi Kurds, but as far as I remember that wasn't proven in any way, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I can see why the U.K. want a hard border with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

As if the whole sham that is the Asylum Industry needed to be called out even further! An absolute joke and an expensive one at that from all the stories in the media this week. The spectacle of the fleet of emergency medical response vehicles at Rosslare port...embarrassing stuff and even more so this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

should people who essentially broke in to the country, about whom authorities know nothing, with no visas etc be allowed walk around the country willy nilly?

• Advertisement

You are joking I assume

They will blend in much easier and most likely they have huge numbers of friends and family living in the UK already.

That's the main reason they want in.

Obviously if they stayed here they wouldn't have to work but family seems more important.

They will do jobs others won't and end up living in houses with many others.

They tend to save up a lot and usually head home.

should people who essentially broke in to the country, about whom authorities know nothing, with no visas etc be allowed walk around the country willy nilly?

Of course they shouldn't but as soon as they say asylum or refugee they can do what they want.

Look at all the ambulances, doctors running to them and we would be waiting hours for one.

They tend to save up a lot and usually head home.
    home to the places so dangerous that they had to seek asylum half way round the world?

Of course they shouldn't but as soon as they say asylum or refugee they can do what they want.

Look at all the ambulances, doctors running to them and we would be waiting hours for one.

after the 39 dead in the lorry in the UK i'm not really surprised or annoyed by the medical staff arriving to meet them.

i do think the fact that they have the freedom of the country before their asylum claim has even begun to be assessed in earnest is utterly insane. they arrived here from a safe country. several safe countries. that puts an enormous question mark over their asylum request. An asylum seeker is an illegal immigrant, someone who broke through the country's sovereign borders, until they are granted asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You are joking I assume

Much bigger population, large Kurdish community there and no official ID system as on the continent. They'll go to ground and work cash in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jay0109 wrote: »
    As if the whole sham that is the Asylum Industry needed to be called out even further! An absolute joke and an expensive one at that from all the stories in the media this week. The spectacle of the fleet of emergency medical response vehicles at Rosslare port...embarrassing stuff and even more so this morning.

After the 39 dead? Why embarrassing? Humanitarian and sense from every angle. Once the authorities had been informed of the men ?

Had they just shrugged and refused to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I think I have a solution to the homeless crisis. The picture of the homeless man crying while being hugged by a volunteer really moved me.

Private individuals like you or me sponsor one homeless person each with two flights one out of the country out and one back in. All they have to do is rip up their passport, act mute/don’t speak any languages and return to an immediate roof over their head and all expenses paid. That would work right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's a kind of reverse racism going on where no one from another culture can never ever do any wrong, can never scam they're all fine upstanding citizens. There's an almost childlike and naive thinking among many here in Ireland that we (the Irish) are universally loved and everyone wants to be Irish.. Well they don't...
    We as a nation seem to be stuck in a permanent adolescence such is our need to be loved and patted on the head by our masters as we show them we're the bestest and most tolerant and most wellcomeing of them all... In reality a country which has never grown up

I've said the same thing many times here. Whether it's the legacy of the "800 years" or the rule of the Church or something else, as a nation we now have an instinctive need for validation from our "betters", and a need to be told what to do.

Think about it.. After finally winning our independence, the first thing we do is hand that freedom over to another master (the Church). When the scandals, abuse, and just better knowledge of the rest of the world starts to filter through in the late 80s and early 90s and the Church loses its grip, what do we do then? Hand control over to Europe :rolleyes:

This need for approval, coupled with the rise of social media, means that the worst of these new age crusades are soaked up by people here who's existence seems predicated on showing how progressive and forward looking we are now. Sure much was made of Varadkar's ascention to Taoiseach as a gay mixed heritage man showing how far we'd come (as if any of that has anything to do with his actual ability for the job, which has mostly been abysmal).

As you say, we are a nation that hasn't yet grown up (but to be fair we're only at this just over 100 years now), and this immaturity is what leads to the waste, incompetence corruption, and me fein-ism we suffer every day, but also decisions on wider issues like migration being taken without any real consideration (or care) for the longer term consequences.

I said it a year or two ago now, but as we're seeing migration and welfare tourism is going to become a key election issue in the next few years as the natives and legitimate citizens and residents realise and experience what those consequences are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭bloopy

Breakingnews.ie are saying most of the Rosslare migrants are no longer in the care of the state.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/migrants-found-on-ship-to-rosslare-have-left-direct-provision-centre-in-dublin-966197.html

How can they enter the state illegally and then just be allowed to wander off wherever they want?
    Am I wrong in thinking this should not be allowed or that it is a bit messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bloopy wrote: »
    Breakingnews.ie are saying most of the Rosslare migrants are no longer in the care of the state.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/migrants-found-on-ship-to-rosslare-have-left-direct-provision-centre-in-dublin-966197.html

How can they enter the state illegally and then just be allowed to wander off wherever they want?
    Am I wrong in thinking this should not be allowed or that it is a bit messed up.

And no mention whatsoever on RTE who were all over the story when they arrived, no mention now as it doesn't suit their agenda.

Advertisement