Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

enricoh wrote: »
    Meh, a million quids worth of stuff in the container and the costs associated with getting rid of it.
    Insurance will try to weasel out of paying n if they do pay the hard grafting haulier will have some Whopper of a quote next year, if he can get one. Collateral damage in the asylum industry!
    There is a good chance the next insurance quote that haulier gets will sink he I or her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Boggles wrote: »
    Really, what Irish company was the freight insured with?
    Why does that matter?
    Do you think it was wrong for these guys to destroy property that didn't belong to them?
    Both yourself and alastair's lack of morality on these issues is off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Really, what Irish company was the freight insured with?

Ah yes the infantile response.
    The mythical insurance industry, much like the mythical bankers will suffer the cost.

It doesn't matter if the insurance company was Irish, or from Timbuk-fooking-tu, the haulage company will probably either have to cover some or all of the costs if the insurance company has their way.
    And if the insurance company has to pony up, then the haulage company will probably find it impossible to get a decent premium next year.

Either way the likelihood is someone in Ireland is going to take a major financial hit.

But we all know you and the likes of alastair in the asylum industry couldn't give two fooks about that.
    alastair considers it perfectly within the law to carry out €1,000,000 of destruction on a cargo of pharmaceuticals and enter a country illegally. The mind boggles, Boggles.

Alastair works in asylum industry if I recollect correctly.
    He is on the pigs back, or rather our backs, with the more customers for his industry.

The people most in favour of the asylum/migrant industry could not give two fooks about the rest of us.
    They ofen get to make money all the while feeling superior about themselves and basically sticking it to the country and people they often despise.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jmayo wrote: »
    But we all know you and the likes of alastair in the asylum industry couldn't give two fooks about that.

:pac:

The old nonsense of if you disagree with me you must be a vested interest.

Must people grow out of it when they are 6 or 7.

Why does that matter?
    Do you think it was wrong for these guys to destroy property that didn't belong to them?
    Both yourself and alastair's lack of morality on these issues is off the scale.

Has it actually been confirmed the property was destroyed, link?

If so by all means arrest and charge them.

Then though you would have the same ne'er-do-wells on here giving out about the cost of that.

Can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

From 3 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Has it actually been confirmed the property was destroyed, link?

If so by all means arrest and charge them.

Then though you would have the same ne'er-do-wells on here giving out about the cost of that.

Can't win.

You will never win with your moral stance.
    And what if the pharmaceuticals were destined for life saving operations?
    You don't give a fiddlers Boggles.
    Here's the link.
    https://extra.ie/2019/11/22/news/irish-news/sixteen-migrants-bound-for-ireland-found-when-ship-worker-heard-noises

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

bigroad wrote: »
    There is a good chance the next insurance quote that haulier gets will sink he I or her business.

Yup, what a contrast he will have with the support he gets from the state if the business goes belly up. To compare with the support those that were in the container get!
    What a country!
    A lad down the local does Continental runs, he had videos from other truckers running the gauntlet in Calais a few years ago. Driving through bonfires in the road, windscreens getting bricked, lads with machetes etc . Lovely folk!
    At the same time, some do gooder eejit was doing a collection for the poor people stuck in that wartorn hellhole - calais !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

enricoh wrote: »
    Yup, what a contrast he will have with the support he gets from the state if the business goes belly up. To compare with the support those that were in the container get!
    What a country!
    A lad down the local does Continental runs, he had videos from other truckers running the gauntlet in Calais a few years ago. Driving through bonfires in the road, windscreens getting bricked, lads with machetes etc . Lovely folk!
    At the same time, some do gooder eejit was doing a collection for the poor people stuck in that wartorn hellhole - calais !
    Yes maybe hauliers should stop going to the continent and then we will here the do gooders whinge that their favourite produce is not on their supermarket shelf.
    They need a reality call in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Well, well, well. Our DP system is quiet good says the UN. That'll knock the wind out of a few sails

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/direct-provision-not-a-bad-system-un-migration-head-1.4095481

But it gets even better:
    The number of international migrants globally reached an estimated 272 million in 2019, an increase of 50 million since 2010. Ms Veerassamy estimates the bulk of these are economic migrants; about 10 per cent are refugees.
    What a coincidence...that 10% figures ties in closely with the asylum stats we've seen over the past 20 years in Ireland i.e. 90% of asylum claims are found to be false.

Someone needs to call a halt to this madness before we spend the best part of 0.5bn over the next few years on what is clearly a scam

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    Well, well, well. Our DP system is quiet good says the UN. That'll knock the win out of a few sails

Particularly those people in Oughterard whose main point of protest was the "inhumane" direct provision system.

0012be41-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Indeed Boggles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Well, well, well. Our DP system is quiet good says the UN. That'll knock the win out of a few sails

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/direct-provision-not-a-bad-system-un-migration-head-1.4095481

But it gets even better:
    The number of international migrants globally reached an estimated 272 million in 2019, an increase of 50 million since 2010. Ms Veerassamy estimates the bulk of these are economic migrants; about 10 per cent are refugees.
    What a coincidence...that 10% figures ties in closely with the asylum stats we've seen over the past 20 years in Ireland i.e. 90% of asylum claims are found to be false.

Someone needs to call a halt to this madness before we spend the best part of 0.5bn over the next few years on what is clearly a scam

The UN are telling us that 90% of asylum seekers are not refugees. You are telling us that 90% of asylum applicants are rejected. That tells us that the irish refugee application system is working to the correct rejection rate.

Ms Veerassamy in your article doesnt call a halt to the DP system. She is supportive of it, and says "the Government should look at more “legal pathways” for migrants to help remove incentives for people-smuggling."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Can anyone explain why housing people in direct provision is unacceptable to some?

They are safe (not in a warzone, free from persecution), fed, warm, have a roof over their head, get a weekly allowance which they can supplement by working.

Like Jindar is a refugee from Syria, last week he was hiding under rubble as the homophobic gangs seemed to kill him, but direct provision is worse as it makes him bored?? Like wtf

What is exactly inhumane or wrong with it?

It's the length of time it takes to process people, and the time lost to appeals etc that's the problem.

That's exactly it, it's not an inhumane situation for a short period of time. But 10-15 years living in those conditions is going to destroy children.

That's why it's considered inhumane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would agree, but has anyone been in direct provision for 10-15 years? Genuine question.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I read somewhere that the average stay was 24months,with some there for 10 to 12 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a big gap from two years to a decade or more. Must be something going on with someone in it for that long? It would be good to have some concrete figures.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's quite worrying to be honest, we don't know who they are and what criminal background they have.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well, well, well. Our DP system is quiet good says the UN. That'll knock the wind out of a few sails

But it gets even better:

We all have save this for the rainy days:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would agree, but has anyone been in direct provision for 10-15 years? Genuine question.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1203/1014748-direct-provision/

• Advertisement

I love for a way where Geniune People fleeing war could get here safe, but also be people to get ahead of chancers.

Love to here stories like this one

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-syrian-refugee-with-an-authentic-take-on-bread-making-has-opened-shop-in-cork-824637.html

I don’t really care if they are not Doctors or Engineering lads. I’m happy for people to come here to make a better life for themselves no matter what.

I know of (former) refugees who are working on a street at 5.30am every morning in a town in North Cork cleaning up mess some leave during week or weekend. Seen it with my own eyes and applaud them and hope they are happy here. (Weather this time year must be tough for them)

It’s the people who are looking for the free spin I don’t care about, and if you really do care about Humanity and care about people fleeing like so many say, you should be just as concerned about the many who are trying skip the que and will walk over these people to get ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I love for a way where Geniune People fleeing war could get here safe, but also be people to get ahead of chancers.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-syrian-refugee-with-an-authentic-take-on-bread-making-has-opened-shop-in-cork-824637.html

I don’t really care if they are not Doctors or Engineering lads. I’m happy for people to come here to make a better life for themselves no matter what.

I know of (former) refugees who are working on a street at 5.30am every morning in a town in North Cork cleaning up mess some leave during week or weekend. Seen it with my own eyes and applaud them and hope they are happy here. (Weather this time year must be tough for them)

It’s the people who are looking for the free spin I don’t care about, and if you really do care about Humanity and care about people fleeing like so many say, you should be just as concerned about the many who are trying skip the que and will walk over these people to get ahead.

But sure Brennan's bread is halal suitable now as is many meats in our shops....

Bet you weren't aware of that and the inhumane way they slaughter to be halal suitable.....

Many Irish companies are actually signing up to this...

Why I ask as us Irish obviously don't come before foreigners it seems....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EU voted on whether to link developmental aid with migration cooperation, taking back failed asylum seekers among other thing. It lost out by 9 votes, with FG breaking ranks against their EU party the EPP to vote against it.

Keeping the money flowing to their friends in the NGOs.

Might not be dead and might get through in other ways.

EDIT:wrong graph

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Varik wrote: »
    EU voted on whether to link developmental aid with migration cooperation, taking back failed asylum seekers among other thing. It lost by 9 votes, with FG breaking ranks against their EU party the EPP to vote against it.

Keeping the money flowing to their friends in the NGOs.

Might not be dead and might get through in other ways.

REG-Development.png

Most interesting. Did any of the FG MEPs give a rationale for voting in that manner?

Are there no MEPs from Greece, Italy or some other countries? I thought grey was non voters, yellow abstain but there’s no colour against them at all.

Are there no MEPs from Greece, Italy or some other countries? I thought grey was non voters, yellow abstain but there’s no colour against them at all.

I ****ed up, didn't notice it was just for renew.Should have noticed Germany's low number MEP. Will find proper result.

So only Billy Kelleher FF & Mairead McGuinness FG voted for requiring cooperation. Kelleher voted against his EU party & since he's the only FF member no other votes there, and McGuinness voted against the rest of FG and with her EU party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In the micro-instance, I very much take your point.

On a macro basis however - there are whole continents full of people who would like this 'better life'. What is little old Ireland to do systematically?

topper75 wrote: »
    In the micro-instance, I very much take your point.

On a macro basis however - there are whole continents full of people who would like this 'better life'. What is little old Ireland to do systematically?

That's a fair point. I understand and tend to agree in sense. Especially now that media are saying all 39 DP centres are full.

Not sure what we can do about that now its worrying for the people and for us as country responsible for looking after them.

Yet some want 3 million here......

• Advertisement

That's a fair point. I understand and tend to agree in sense. Especially now that media are saying all 39 DP centres are full.

Not sure what we can do about that now its worrying for the people and for us as country responsible for looking after them.

Yet some want 3 million here......

Who?

Advertisement