Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

jay0109 wrote: »
    Only for we ran out of accommodation, the Govt would have done nothing to change this mental situation.
    What say now the Migrant NGO's and left wing TD's who were screamin' and holleri'n when Vardakar showed a rare glimpse of back bone on this topic before xmas.

What fools we are paying billions for this racket the past 20 years

I noticed it on a flight to Dublin recently, from an Eastern European city. We walked down that little tunnel thing from the plane and were greeted at the door by a dozen immigration officials checking passports, backed up by security guards. A couple of people were detained. So you were not allowed to even disembark unless you had the right documentation. I thought, why on earth hasn't this been in place for the last 20 years? As a pp said, we are wasting billions on this nonsense. Mismanaged immigration has seriously damaged the pay and conditions of low-income Irish workers, housing availability, social cohesion and our already creaking infrastructure. There is absolute fury about it bubbling under the surface and has given a voice to unpleasant nutters like Gemma O'Doherty simply because no-one else will address it. There will be more trouble coming.

What baffles me to this day is the blind embracing of it by purported left wingers, it's been a capitalist's dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Nesta2018 wrote: »
    I noticed it on a flight to Dublin recently, from an Eastern European city. We walked down that little tunnel thing from the plane and were greeted at the door by a dozen immigration officials checking passports, backed up by security guards. A couple of people were detained. So you were not allowed to even disembark unless you had the right documentation. I thought, why on earth hasn't this been in place for the last 20 years? As a pp said, we are wasting billions on this nonsense. Mismanaged immigration has seriously damaged the pay and conditions of low-income Irish workers, housing availability, social cohesion and our already creaking infrastructure. There is absolute fury about it bubbling under the surface and has given a voice to unpleasant nutters like Gemma O'Doherty simply because no-one else will address it. There will be more trouble coming.

What baffles me to this day is the blind embracing of it by purported left wingers, it's been a capitalist's dream!

This blind embracing by the social justice warriors is one of the biggest problems. And you are right it does allow these crazy people like O'Doherty to be heard. I want to have a serious conversation about immigration without being labelled a bigot, racist and xenophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This blind embracing by the social justice warriors is one of the biggest problems. And you are right it does allow these crazy people like O'Doherty to be heard. I want to have a serious conversation about immigration without being labelled a bigot, racist and xenophobe.
    Boards.ie and similar sites are plagued with boisterous SJW-type people i.e. those with very little practical experience of real life. You will find that the majority of people who wants us to pay for open borders are either NGO-sponsored or do not contribute to the public purse to pay for the resources required for open-ended welfare for non-EU migrants.

I've yet to meet a person who gets up early to commute an hour or two to work, and then pay up to 50% of their wages to fund the welfare state, who say that they have no problem paying for new houses and welfare-for-life for Africans who decide they want a second home in Ireland. And that's the reality for the majority of them, and they will readily admit it. Their true home and loyalty is to countries like Nigeria or Ghana; Ireland just provides them with citizenship and funds to live a dual life between home and access to very generous welfare resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Kivaro wrote: »
    Boards.ie and similar sites are plagued with boisterous SJW-type people i.e. those with very little practical experience of real life. You will find that the majority of people who wants us to pay for open borders are either NGO-sponsored or do not contribute to the public purse to pay for the resources required for open-ended welfare for non-EU migrants.

I've yet to meet a person who gets up early to commute an hour or two to work, and then pay up to 50% of their wages to fund the welfare state, who say that they have no problem paying for new houses and welfare-for-life for Africans who decide they want a second home in Ireland. And that's the reality for the majority of them, and they will readily admit it. Their true home and loyalty is to countries like Nigeria or Ghana; Ireland just provides them with citizenship and funds to live a dual life between home and access to very generous welfare resources.

Yawn same old extreme right wing tripe

Granny15 wrote: »

Lol. It's hardly an extreme viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Grand.
    Explain to me then why only 40% of Africans who live in Ireland ...... actually work in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Eamon said on newstalk during the week that he wants to see an end to direct provision but was not asked what he wants to replace it with. I plan on asking any Green candidate who comes to the door that question.

It only occurred to me last night why the NGOs have been banging the "end direct provision" drum so hard whilst avoiding the simple question of where to put the people, and it's pretty obvious when you think about it.

They want to take over the system for themselves.

They want to get their hands on vacant public lands and buildings for a song, get huge amounts of government money and lots of jobs for their acolytes.

We've already seen this happen with the likes of Clúid and Respond using homelessness to quietly assemble property empires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Grand.
    Explain to me then why only 40% of Africans who live in Ireland ...... actually work in Ireland.

I'd spell this out only Beasty would ban me for racism.

https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Sure what would you know about working a day job? We are paying for your social welfare while you are judging the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McHardcore wrote: »
    Sure what would you know about working a day job? We are paying for your social welfare while you are judging the rest of us.

Fine, I'll take this one. I work a full time job and have done since I finished college 25 years ago (save for 1 year on Welfare when the economy fell apart - which is far from the easy life you seem to imply it is).

Thanks to the current housing situation I commute an hour+ each way to work and pay several hundred in diesel a month as it's still cheaper than trying to live in Dublin as a single man who doesn't want to share with a bunch of strangers, and has no mammy and daddy (or their money/home) to fall back on. I pay for pretty much everything else too like tens of thousands of others and get very little benefit in return.

I ansolutely have no time for spongers, including the natives - but I have even less time for scam artists arriving from countries we have no treaty with or obligation to turning up at airports or in containers and crying "asylum!" and then having them (and the vested interests making big money off them, or just the misguided virtue-signalling types) crying "racist" when this nonsense is called out for what it is.

There are plenty of ways to enter the country legally, and we have plenty of nationalities living, working and contributing positively to our country and society. These people are most welcome and an asset to us.

But chancers with nothing to offer, suspect backgrounds, and who will only represent a welfare drain and potential future problems (as we're seeing in parts of the country as well - even though it's not supposed to be talked about! :rolleyes:) can f*ck right off to whatever hole they came from.

Signed, a taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Fine, I'll take this one. I work a full time job and have done since I finished college 25 years ago (save for 1 year on Welfare when the economy fell apart - which is far from the easy life you seem to imply it is).

As someone who was on the dole and has now become a tax payer, do you see the benefit of helping others in a similar situation?

I think you can see where I am going with this.... :)

As someone who was on the dole and has now become a tax payer, do you see the benefit of helping others in a similar situation?

Keep reading the rest of my post. I've covered that.

Sure. It makes sense to help those who will become taxpayers later. It also makes sense to guard against those who won't.

His points on immigration stand on their own. The last two decades have shown a lack of foresight when it comes to immigration by people who have neither the education or interest in becoming productive (taxpaying) members of society. Instead, there's an attitude that everyone must be allowed in, because Irish people have more than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Great! So we are agreed that there is a moral and economic benefit to helping those in difficulty assuming that they will end up working in Ireland.

There is no need to disallow this benefit to everyone, the same way _Kaiser_ wasn't disallowed his dole because of a few "bad eggs" in the system.

Great! So we are agreed that there is a moral and economic benefit to helping those in difficulty assuming that they will end up working in Ireland.

I don't think there was any disagreement there once the immigrants are working and paying taxes. Edit: Although such an ability to work should be established well before they're allowed entry. It shouldn't be a requirement for the state to provide education for years so that they become capable of working in a 1st world economy.

Personally, I'd be interested in an indication of integration and a move away from their original culture (barbarous customs of FGM or the desire for sharia law), but that's a secondary concern. Not being a drain on the state or contributing to crime being the major concerns.

There is no need to disallow this benefit to everyone, the same way _Kaiser_ wasn't disallowed his dole because of a few "bad eggs" in the system.

I was working for many years before the economy crashed - as such I was only getting some of what I'd put in back. That's what the system is there for. To act as a safety net in hard times until you can move on again.

It's NOT intended as a career choice - not for the natives but even less those who turn up chancing their arm and/or with nothing to offer anyway. Nor should it act as a cushion until we train the new arrivals up (at our expense).

As I've said many times before.. if you arrive legally with needed skills to offer and the ability to support yourself, and are willing to integrate and contribute positively to your new home - welcome!
    If you arrive with nothing, no skills and especially if under illegal methods or false documentation... back where you came from - unless you are a legitimate asylum seeker and only until it's safe for you to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Thanks to the current housing situation I commute an hour+ each way to work and pay several hundred in diesel a month as it's still cheaper than trying to live in Dublin as a single man who doesn't want to share with a bunch of strangers, and has no mammy and daddy (or their money/home) to fall back on. I pay for pretty much everything else too like tens of thousands of others and get very little benefit in return.

I ansolutely have no time for spongers, including the natives - but I have even less time for scam artists arriving from countries we have no treaty with or obligation to turning up at airports or in containers and crying "asylum!" and then having them (and the vested interests making big money off them, or just the misguided virtue-signalling types) crying "racist" when this nonsense is called out for what it is.

Your tough life story is inspirational to all of us but its hypocritical to deny government payouts to others when you lived off the tax payer yourself. You cant paint everyone with the same brush.

Your tough life story is inspirational to all of us but its hypocritical to deny government payouts to others when you lived off the tax payer yourself. You cant paint everyone with the same brush.

The difference is I worked and contributed for those payments (which were only a fraction of what I'd already paid in) through education and training that my parents and myself worked hard to get and the subsequent employment it led to. I'm also a native and legal citizen of this country.

I didn't just rock up in the back of a container expecting to be looked after indefinitely and cry foul at anyone questioning my "right" to be here.

Says a lot about the virtue-signalling sort though that they feel these chancers have more rights than the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Amazing how people jump straight to extreme labels

Except that those who champion the rights of immigrants seem to do it themselves. Instead of acknowledging that there are those who arrive looking for a handout or intend to game the system, they seek to promote all immigrants as those genuinely in need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Except that those who champion the rights of immigrants seem to do it themselves. Instead of acknowledging that there are those who arrive looking for a handout or intend to game the system, they seek to promote all immigrants as those genuinely in need.

Yawn.

Immigrant work participation levels are higher than Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Boggles wrote: »
    Yawn.

Immigrant work participation levels are higher than Irish people.

no theyre not, this has been debunked hundreds of times on this site.

EU Wide its lower :
    In 2018, the EU-28 employment rate for the native-born working-age population was 73.9 %, which was 5.5 percentage points higher than the rate recorded for foreign-born population
    https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migrant_integration_statistics_–_labour_market_indicators

Non EU migrants have an almost 10% lower percentage of labour participation than EU migrants too.

501090.jpeg

EU migrants have such low unemployment rates that they mask the abismal employment rates of non EU migrants in headline stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

no theyre not, this has been debunked hundreds of times on this site.

Why are you using EU numbers when the poster you're replying to was speaking about Ireland?

Difference_in_activity_rates_for_the_population_aged_20-64_years_by_country_of_birth%2C_2018_%28percentage_points%3B_rate_for_native-born_-_rate_for_foreign-born%29_MI19.png

Shai wrote: »
    Why are you using EU numbers when the poster you're replying to was speaking about Ireland?

Difference_in_activity_rates_for_the_population_aged_20-64_years_by_country_of_birth%2C_2018_%28percentage_points%3B_rate_for_native-born_-_rate_for_foreign-born%29_MI19.png

why are you using only EU migrants when the poster is talking about all migrants, and I did use a CSO table above, from ireland about non EU migrants being allergic to work.

why are you using only EU migrants when the poster is talking about all migrants, and I did use a CSO table above, from ireland about non EU migrants being allergic to work.

I'm not. The graph talks about the difference between native-born and foreign-born. Not native-born and EU-born. Boggles is quite correct in stating "Immigrant work participation levels are higher than Irish people."

I'm not. The graph talks about the difference between native-born and foreign-born. Not native-born and EU-born. Boggles is quite correct in stating "Immigrant work participation levels are higher than Irish people."

EU migrant to ireland work participation rates than locals yes , but when you put in non EU migrants (which this entire thread is about) it lowers the average below Ireland, and if you exclude EU migrants, the labour participation rate is terrible.

EU migrant to ireland work participation rates than locals yes

No, it does in fact do no such thing. Once again, that graph is about native-born vs foreign-born. Not native-born vs EU-born. In fact, the Eurostat pages explicitly call this out
    Foreign-born — the population born outside the reporting country; subdivided into:
    - EU-born — the population born in an EU Member State other than the reporting country; and
    - Non-EU-born — the population born in non-EU countries.

No, it does in fact do no such thing. Once again, that graph is about native-born vs foreign-born. Not native-born vs EU-born. In fact, the Eurostat pages explicitly call this out

This is a thread about asylum seekers, not EU migrants, boggles original post was not referencing EU migrants, His claim is false and youre just trying to stir the pot here using stats about lads fro the EU working so lets let in half of africa.

This is a thread about asylum seekers, not EU migrants, boggles original post was not referencing EU migrants, His claim is false and youre just trying to stir the pot here using stats about lads fro the EU working so lets let in half of africa.

I am stirring the pot by using stats from the same page that you referenced in your post? Really? That's a bit rich. You suddenly don't agree with your own source when forced to come to terms with how it doesn't actually say what you thought it did?

And once again, Boggles post stated "Immigrant work participation levels are higher than Irish people." Not sure how you came to the conclusion he meant non EU immigrants. Are you sure you're not doing a bit of projecting now?

• Advertisement

I am stirring the pot by using stats from the same page that you referenced in your post? Really? That's a bit rich. You suddenly don't agree with your own source when forced to come to terms with how it doesn't actually say what you thought it did?

And once again, Boggles post stated "Immigrant work participation levels are higher than Irish people." Not sure how you came to the conclusion he meant non EU immigrants. Are you sure you're not doing a bit of projecting now?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

theres where my second graph came from, immigrants work less than irish people overall (all immigrants) , if you limit it to eu only immigrants , they work more than irish people (where boggles pulls his claim from) , if you exclude EU immigrants the labour participation rate is terrible. Non EU migrants are net detractors from our economy.

Advertisement