Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So much of the media is owned by one person here and he only wants what suits him and his agenda getting out....

I'd actually be shocked if good auld Denny didn't have his fingers in many pies in connection with dp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Precisely.

The overwhelming majority of those who claim asylum in the state are economic migrants. If we had an honest media, this would not be disputed.

There is a multi million euro industry based on this deception, they won't give it up without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Until word spreads, then we'd be economically ruined.

We'll be economically ruined one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bartra submits fresh plans for 210-bedroom co-living development in Castleknock https://jrnl.ie/5181076

I'm starting to think there is more than meets the eye on these things. The figures being bandied about from the previous proposed builds were that it would cost about €1200-1500 a month for a room. Seems ludicrous. Why would anyone pay that for what they are getting?

Then when you think of the builds they would be absolutely perfect for Direct Provision centres or for homeless folk. Bartra can charge the state a handy sum for filling up the rooms. And Government can say look what we did, we got rid of direct provision and homelessness. Aren't we great.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Was meeting a bird who worked in a maldron hotel in Dublin city. She told me about all the afghans living in the hotel.

Bad state of affairs if we're bringing in refugees and paying hotels to act as accommodation.

I don't think the general population realise how many refugees are living in hotels. Making hotel owners rich, guaranteed bookings.

Sure why wouldn't anyone build a hotel if you could?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

First question should be why they bypassed X number of safe countries and chose Ireland.

Because we are a stupid soft touch with a ridiculously generous welfare system which feeds the problem and proves the attraction for many. Come to ireland. Work? Don’t worry about that. Housed. Fed. Free money. Cars. The list goes on. Any for anyone who thinks this problem is fixable, you are disillusioned. It’s gone well past the point of viable repair. We are well and truly f**ked. But sure, no worries, we’ll just keep on borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

dodzy wrote: »
    Because we are a stupid soft touch with a ridiculously generous welfare system which feeds the problem and proves the attraction for many. Come to ireland. Work? Don’t worry about that. Housed. Fed. Free money. Cars. The list goes on. Any for anyone who thinks this problem is fixable, you are disillusioned. It’s gone well past the point of viable repair. We are well and truly f**ked. But sure, no worries, we’ll just keep on borrowing.

You're probably not wrong, especially when you consider the fact that there is hardly any elected politicians willing to even speak of these problems. The Irish political system is a joke, most parties seem to agree on nearly everything, they share more commonalities than differences. It's a great shame that none of the fringe parties seem up to the job either, so we're left with pretty much no options, which obviously means our serious issues will not get fixed anytime soon.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So much of the media is owned by one person here and he only wants what suits him and his agenda getting out....

I'd actually be shocked if good auld Denny didn't have his fingers in many pies in connection with dp

And what about RTE, the national broadcaster ?

Or one of our newspapers of note, The Irish Times.
    It is too convenient a cop out to try lay the blame on O'Brien.

All they ever do is soft soap articles about immigrants, about refugees, about a traveller that has gone to college.

They lambast anyone that dares speak anything resembling the actual truth alal Noel Grealish or Peter Casey.

Looking at the coverage Casey got (especially from the likes of RTE) one would think he was advocating the final solution for travellers.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You're probably not wrong, especially when you consider the fact that there is hardly any elected politicians willing to even speak of these problems. The Irish political system is a joke, most parties seem to agree on nearly everything, they share more commonalities than differences. It's a great shame that none of the fringe parties seem up to the job either, so we're left with pretty much no options, which obviously means our serious issues will not get fixed anytime soon.

They are in fear of the chattering classes on social media, the teat suckling NGOs, the media luvvies themselves who are all nearly to the last one pro migrants, pro refugees, pro travellers, pro leniency on criminality, etc.

The only media person I ever hear debating these thing honestly is Niall Boylan.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Was meeting a bird who worked in a maldron hotel in Dublin city. She told me about all the afghans living in the hotel.

Bad state of affairs if we're bringing in refugees and paying hotels to act as accommodation.

I don't think the general population realise how many refugees are living in hotels. Making hotel owners rich, guaranteed bookings.

We know that a huge number of asylum seekers are bogus.
    Some 41 per cent of all asylum claims in the first half of the year were from Albanian, Georgian and South African nationals. All three countries are officially regarded as “safe countries of origin” by Ireland. This means the State considers them as safe and stable democracies. An asylum seeker from a country regarded as safe is much less likely to be granted leave to remain in the State.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/concern-over-rise-in-people-seeking-asylum-from-safe-countries-1.3986377

We know that the majority of failed asylum seekers will not get deported.
    Just 20% of deportation orders for unsuccessful asylum seekers are estimated to be implemented in Ireland, according to a report published by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/80-of-failed-asylum-seekers-stay-5l5nk52cs

The many NGOs and the great and good Twitterati want to get rid of DP. They don’t want the asylum process to actually deport failed asylum seekers. They don’t want people housed in hotels whilst their claims are processed and they appeal their refusal.

They want them given social housing as soon as they arrive and utter the A word, given access to social welfare and full working rights.

They’re on their way to getting that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The present situation with asylum seekers/economic migrants is not financially sustainable in the medium to long term, sooner or later the penny will drop, by then it'll most likely be too late

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Gotta wonder if the French will be willing to fork out for boats that will make it here once the U.K. leave the EU....the dingies they’re currently buying are cheap enough but something that can get here is gonna cost them a fair bit on a daily basis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Gotta wonder if the French will be willing to fork out for boats that will make it here once the U.K. leave the EU....the dingies they’re currently buying are cheap enough but something that can get here is gonna cost them a fair bit on a daily basis!
    Not needed, HGVs and trucks was always the way to go, even the 200per day (freely) sailing into Britain across the Eng Channel (while they argue about a Proms song with the ironic words: 'britania rules the waves') is small fish.

Haulage and port entry is perhaps tenfold what peak boat crossings will ever be, the unforunate dozens discovered in a single Essex truck last year is just the tip of an iceberg. The 1 per 400 full truck Zeebrugge x-ray and manual search is needle 'n haystacks.

Not needed, HGVs and trucks was always the way to go, even the 200per day (freely) sailing into Britain across the Eng Channel (while they argue about a Proms song with the ironic words: 'britania rules the waves') is small fish.

Haulage and port entry is perhaps tenfold what peak boat crossings will ever be, the unforunate dozens discovered in a single Essex truck last year is just the tip of an iceberg. The 1 per 400 full truck Zeebrugge x-ray and manual search is needle 'n haystacks.

I’m with ye totally, but wasn’t the point I’m making, been lots of people pointing out why they’re coming here when the EU laws on migrants is clear, processed at the first safe country they get to.

It’s no surprise that these poor people and the not so poor people can wander out of countries like Germany, straight into France and that the French don’t process them either....break human rights laws by allowing camps like Calais to exist and then ‘give them helping hands’ over the channel. Next place out of continental Europe after the U.K. is us.......

I’m with ye totally, but wasn’t the point I’m making, been lots of people pointing out why they’re coming here when the EU laws on migrants is clear, processed at the first safe country they get to.

It’s no surprise that these poor people and the not so poor people can wander out of countries like Germany, straight into France and that the French don’t process them either....break human rights laws by allowing camps like Calais to exist and then ‘give them helping hands’ over the channel. Next place out of continental Europe after the U.K. is us.......
    Indeed. The big factor with France is the requirement for PhotoID at all times, thus makes accessing the black market, and false names/stories much harder.

France recently also changed legislation so appeals and processing is much, much shorter than before, which won't suit fraudulent cases (the lad that tried to burn down a Cathedral recently had his case rejected, and was due to leave).

Even the penality for false PhotoID is severe: something like a €5k fine and/or time in the birdhouse. A 3rd warning for failure to wear a simple facemask when required ,will get 6mths of porridge.
    Macron is clearly concerned about loosing the next election to the Pen lady, and is trying to toughen up. France is currently 3rd favourite to Frexit off.

Would expect a surge on lads leaping from trucks Jan 1st 2021 onwards, not to mention the 100k brexit-linked jobs to vanish, and countless covid job losses also on top of this. Still hoteliers will be flush.

Indeed. The big factor with France is the requirement for PhotoID at all times, thus makes accessing the black market, and false names/stories much harder.

France recently also changed legislation so appeals and processing is much, much shorter than before, which won't suit fraudulent cases (the lad that tried to burn down a Cathedral recently had his case rejected, and was due to leave).

Even the penality for false PhotoID is severe: something like a €5k fine and/or time in the birdhouse. A 3rd warning for failure to wear a simple facemask when required ,will get 6mths of porridge.
    Macron is clearly concerned about loosing the next election to the Pen lady, and is trying to toughen up. France is currently 3rd favourite to Frexit off.

Would expect a surge on lads leaping from trucks Jan 1st 2021 onwards, not to mention the 100k brexit-linked jobs to vanish, and countless covid job losses also on top of this. Still hoteliers will be flush.

The problem I find with Macron is he’s the first President in a while who’s half intelligent, but has a bit of Napoleon syndrome. I mean it’s good he married his Nan so she’s looked after in her twilight years rather than the last few who just had a ton of mistresses, but the way he tries to Lord it over every other country bar Germany winds me right up.

Do you mean leaping from trucks in the U.K. or here sorry?

The problem I find with Macron is he’s the first President in a while who’s half intelligent, but has a bit of Napoleon syndrome. I mean it’s good he married his Nan so she’s looked after in her twilight years rather than the last few who just had a ton of mistresses, but the way he tries to Lord it over every other country bar Germany winds me right up.

In some ways that lack of young wimin' means he has less distractions to content with.
    Do you mean leaping from trucks in the U.K. or here sorry?
    There are plenty of direct shipping routes from the European mainland, these will increase, as will demand, and access routes or new techniques from traffickers are created. There isn't sufficent capability to check everything now, so this will only diminish further as demand and shipping demand increases as it bypasses Brexitland.

There was already a couple of cases of lads jumping out of trucks in Co Laois (twice), along with more recent cases of dozens of folks at Wexford port. These are just the 'known of', or reported cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

A man from Afghanistan living in Direct Provision in Monaghan committed suicide yesterday. He had COVID-19, didn't receive the adequate supports he needed & his requests to be transferred were ignored. https://www.instagram.com/p/CEZBIxoHg85/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This needs to be publicized - what a scandalous waste of tax payers money

McHardcore wrote: »
    A man from Afghanistan living in Direct Provision in Monaghan committed suicide yesterday. He had COVID-19, didn't receive the adequate supports he needed & his requests to be transferred were ignored.]

I can understand the requests to be transferred being ignored. But I'm curious about not receiving adequate supports. What would these supports have been? I assume he would have received medical care if he was infected with covid, and it was appropriate to do so.

After all, he died from suicide, not from covid. You got more details on this case, apart from the instagram post?

Or is it just the case of people taking advantage of his death to push for the abolishing of DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Yea a couple of journalists reported about the young man who killed himself in direct provision. It was in the Irish examiner, Hot Press, and KFM radio.

Residents who were close to the man claimed that – urged by the man’s concerned brother – his friends had taken him to see a GP about mental health issues recently.
    “They gave him tablets but [he] was not taking it,” one resident said. “He was very young, maybe around 25.”
    Residents claim that the man had been self-isolating in a small room. They said that the man was distraught in recent days.

The fella looks like he was in trouble for a while leading up to the death. It was the residents that had to try and help him, the DP centers are not mentioned at all about giving him support. I do not think that the journalists are trying to take advantage of his death to abolish Direct provision -That is a pretty f*cked up cynical view to take on this young lads death IMHO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement