Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well on the pension issues I would recommend anyone with 30 years or more to get legal advice...

Really check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t blame asylum seekers for the amount of money that’s being spent on keeping them in accommodation that isn’t fit for human habitation. Saying that they’re staying in hotels conjures up images of respectable establishments. These hotels are squalid shìtholes, so I truly do wonder how the monthly bill for 1,000 asylum seekers accommodation would come to €3.5 million per month? They’re not being put up in the Clarence ffs!

The State simply isn’t getting value for money here, and there are a number of vested interests being funded who exist purely for administrative purposes to manage such vast sums of money. It’s certainly not all going on paying for the accommodation itself. I’d suggest that the vast majority of the funding is going to organisations who exist solely for the purposes of claiming said funding.

I don’t blame asylum seekers for the amount of money that’s being spent on keeping them in accommodation that isn’t fit for human habitation. Saying that they’re staying in hotels conjures up images of respectable establishments. These hotels are squalid shìtholes, so I truly do wonder how the monthly bill for 1,000 asylum seekers accommodation would come to €3.5 million per month? They’re not being put up in the Clarence ffs!

The State simply isn’t getting value for money here, and there are a number of vested interests being funded who exist purely for administrative purposes to manage such vast sums of money. It’s certainly not all going on paying for the accommodation itself. I’d suggest that the vast majority of the funding is going to organisations who exist solely for the purposes of claiming said funding.

Coming here to live for free sounds about right

Coming here to live for free sounds about right

And if they’re living here for free, wouldn’t that surely have caused you to question where that kind of money actually is being spent? And why?

Because asylum seekers themselves aren’t seeing any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Anyone who's non nationals seem to be treated better than our own Indigenous people..... https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/trinity-joins-universities-that-give-asylum-seekers-and-refugees-free-tuition-38004025.html

Yet they're still not happy.. Send them home, I say.

• Advertisement

And if they’re living here for free, wouldn’t that surely have caused you to question where that kind of money actually is being spent? And why?

Because asylum seekers themselves aren’t seeing any of it.

But are they contributing to society??? Eh fook no are they in their sh1te

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The State simply isn’t getting value for money here, and there are a number of vested interests being funded who exist purely for administrative purposes to manage such vast sums of money. It’s certainly not all going on paying for the accommodation itself.

Do you have any examples? There are asylum seekers/homeless being placed in Maldrons, Travelodges etc. Not exactly The Ritz but they would cost €200+ a night around this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Isn’t the Gresham one of the hotels? Not exactly a **** hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

sabat wrote: »
    Do you have any examples? There are asylum seekers/homeless being placed in Maldrons, Travelodges etc. Not exactly The Ritz but they would cost €200+ a night around this time of year.

I was staying in the liffey valley hotel about 6 months ago and they were there

Who exactly, the asylum seekers themselves, or the people who are being handed €3.5m per month in funding? By asylum seekers very presence here it means that a small number of people are receiving vast sums of money for their accommodation, so by that measure I would suggest that yes, asylum seekers themselves contribute to Irish society; the people who are receiving funding to provide for their accommodation are a liability in Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Meanwhile this week (another) Holywood movie star (net worth $100m) takes a break from his luxury Tuscany holiers to get a few promotional selfies and snap (those Engineers and Doctors on the latest boat look really pleased to see him).
    7MjzsGg.png
    The multi-millionaire with more empty bedrooms than 99% of people tells Europe to do more.
    Italian PM responds suggesting maybe he takes them back to his BevHills on his luxury private jet.
    Ireland is a minorty group of EU states that signed up for the latest pact to receive more, automatically.

To be fair the pensioner (with yet another child in an over-populated world), did bring a few bottles of water along.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/richard-gere-brings-supplies-migrants-194947724.html

They look like they want to r#pe him or give home a big hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Surely if they can afford to send millions back to their country (probably billions by now) they could afford their own accommodation.... https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerians-send-nearly-500m-a-year-home-from-ireland-29278045.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Meanwhile this week (another) Holywood movie star (net worth $100m) takes a break from his luxury Tuscany holiers to get a few promotional selfies and snap (those Engineers and Doctors on the latest boat look really pleased to see him).
    7MjzsGg.png
    The multi-millionaire with more empty bedrooms than 99% of people tells Europe to do more.
    Italian PM responds suggesting maybe he takes them back to his BevHills on his luxury private jet.
    Ireland is a minorty group of EU states that signed up for the latest pact to receive more, automatically.

To be fair the pensioner (with yet another child in an over-populated world), did bring a few bottles of water along.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/richard-gere-brings-supplies-migrants-194947724.html

They all want diversity but not on their front door. The types of people here in Ireland who support open borders live in the areas which are the least the diverse they are generally D4 types with Arts Degrees who have never worked a day in their lives like the posh version of dole scroungers but instead of living off the taxpayer they live off Mammy and Daddy.

You will never find Kebab shops, mosques, Halal butchers, direct provision centres or African gangs in Dalkey, Killiney, Foxrock, Ballsbridge or Sandymount. Reason being is because multiculturalism is only to be imposed on the plebs in the likes of Tallaght, Lucan, Blanchardstown and Balbriggan. Also the same people calling people like you and me racist are the same ones who'd likely be up in arms if you put a direct provision centre or a mosque on their doorstep.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They all want diversity but not on their front door. The types of people here in Ireland who support open borders live in the areas which are the least the diverse they are generally D4 types with Arts Degrees who have never worked a day in their lives like the posh version of dole scroungers but instead of living off the taxpayer they live off Mammy and Daddy.

I’m glad you said “generally” there, because you’re describing only a small subset of people who support open borders in Ireland, as opposed to the majority of people who really don’t appear to care one way or the other about asylum seekers status.

You will never find Kebab shops, mosques, Halal butchers, direct provision centres or African gangs in Dalkey, Killiney, Foxrock, Ballsbridge or Sandymount. Reason being is because multiculturalism is only to be imposed on the plebs in the likes of Tallaght, Lucan, Blanchardstown and Balbriggan. Also the same people calling people like you and me racist are the same ones who'd likely be up in arms if you put a direct provision centre or a mosque on their doorstep.

Well I’m guessing you wouldn’t want asylum seekers on your doorstep, so it would be hypocritical to point fingers at other people who don’t want asylum seekers on their doorsteps either. I don’t mind where they’re located tbh, there’s as much chance they’ll have an opportunity to contribute to Irish society as anyone else where they’re located.

And I’m certainly not going to call anyone who disagrees with multiculturalism as a policy racist. That would surely be as silly as your own attempt to tar anyone who disagrees with you with the same brush.

This thread isn’t about multiculturalism though, it’s about the outrageous amount of money being given to a small number of people who are making a killing from the provision of accommodation for asylum seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I’m glad you said “generally” there, because you’re describing only a small subset of people who support open borders in Ireland, as opposed to the majority of people who really don’t appear to care one way or the other about asylum seekers status.

I accept the majority don't care about asylum seemers at least not until they are placed on ones doorstep like the discontent from locals we have seen in the likes of Roosky, Wicklow, Lisdoonvarna and Courtown
    Well I’m guessing you wouldn’t want asylum seekers on your doorstep, so it would be hypocritical to point fingers at other people who don’t want asylum seekers on their doorsteps either. I don’t mind where they’re located tbh, there’s as much chance they’ll have an opportunity to contribute to Irish society as anyone else where they’re located.

They are hypocrites because they want to take asylum seekers into Ireland but yet don't want them on their front door. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable they don't want them on their front door but not when they want asylum centres to be built. It's the same story with drug injection centre people support them but don't want them in the areas they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was in hotel in Ennis last week and there were direct provision migrants there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

This thread isn’t about multiculturalism though, it’s about the outrageous amount of money being given to a small number of people who are making a killing from the provision of accommodation for asylum seekers.

I think you misread the article and the points made by myself and others-this isn't direct provision or places exclusively housing asylum seekers-it's normal hotels carrying out their normal business. If they refused to rent these rooms they have advertised on booking.com or wherever they'd probably get in trouble. They're not creating this situation or profiteering from it-it's 100% the government's fault for actively bringing more people in with nowhere to put them.

I accept the majority don't care about asylum seemers at least not until they are placed on ones doorstep like the discontent from locals we have seen in the likes of Roosky, Wicklow, Lisdoonvarna and Courtown

That’s still very much a minority of people in Irish society though. The majority of people in Irish society haven’t expressed an opinion either way. There has always been discontent in Irish society when “blow-ins” moved into the area. You’d have a minority of people who would get their knickers in a twist and try and spread paranoia about their neighbours, but those people were generally referred to as the local busybodies. They simply couldn’t be taken seriously.

They are hypocrites because they want to take asylum seekers into Ireland but yet don't want them on their front door. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable they don't want them on their front door but not when they want asylum centres to be built. It's the same story with drug injection centre people support them but don't want them in the areas they live.

Yes, they’re hypocrites too, and so are you because you don’t want asylum seekers on your doorstep either, which means you’re just like the same people you’re critical of.

That’s nothing like drug injection centres, apart from the fact that direct provision centres are shìtholes too and that’s the reason I wouldn’t want a DP centre on my doorstep. No problem with mosques or any other places of worship where people congregate to, y’know, worship with members of their own community (Pentecostal services are a hoot though, much more enthusiastic than the Irish Catholic mass).

Drug injection centres though, completely different ball game - I don’t support them, nor would I want one in the community where I live. That’s a policy I am very much against and something which more money is wasted on, which brings us back to the subject of this thread which is the vast amount of money being wasted on the provision of accommodation for asylum seekers.

I don’t blame asylum seekers themselves for the vast amounts of money being spent on accommodating them. I hold the people who are giving this money to the small number of people who are profiting and supporting their own lifestyles from taking advantage of bad policy, responsible for their actions. I’m also nothing like your earlier characterisation btw -

sabat wrote: »
    I think you misread the article and the points made by myself and others-this isn't direct provision or places exclusively housing asylum seekers-it's normal hotels carrying out their normal business. If they refused to rent these rooms they have advertised on booking.com or wherever they'd probably get in trouble. They're not creating this situation or profiteering from it-it's 100% the government's fault for actively bringing more people in with nowhere to put them.

I’m not misreading the article or your points. There are outrageous sums of money being spent on providing accommodation in hotels for asylum seekers.

My issue is with the amount of money being spent and to say that hotels aren’t profiting from it would be wrong. Of course if they’re accommodating asylum seekers they’re being paid to accommodate them, quite handsomely, though I doubt they’re being paid full rate (it’s a decision between empty rooms not generating revenue, and accommodating asylum seekers which generates revenue), but I do agree with you to a point - the issue isn’t with the number of people coming to this country seeking asylum, the issue is with the Governments handling of the whole process. It’s just so badly implemented on so many levels, especially when the cost of accommodating asylum seekers in hotels is costing the State €3.5m per month. That’s only going to increase as you point out there is nowhere to put them. The policies which enable this sorry state of affairs is what needs to be looked at, not the number of people seeking asylum, or the asylum seekers themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its not a lot actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I was in hotel in Ennis last week and there were direct provision migrants there.

Is "direct provision migrant" the current PC term used to describe asylum seekers?

If so, then I'm a bit put out that the relevant quango didn't send me its latest Circular. A chap could really put his foot in it if he accidentally used the wrong term.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Do-gooders don't give a **** about Irish homeless, there is just no money in it for them.
    You must have political will to house and feed the homeless, but there is none.
    There is however, plenty of political will to house and feed people that have never set foot in this country before.

Eh?

Remind me again what funding goes to McVerry Trust, Simon, Cope, Threshold etc each year? And how much is spent on social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Its not a lot actually.
    One will find that the people who make comments like this do not have the challenge of getting up early in the morning in order to pay for this asylum industry scam along with the basic necessities of living in Ireland .......... like the highest mortgage rates in Europe, cartel-driven insurance costs etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

When the asylum seekers are holed up in a hotel and not allowed to work in any meaningful they are not contributing much to society.
    We don't let them get jobs, so they cant pay taxes or rent so the taxpayer is forced to pay for them.

Let them get jobs if they want while they are waiting for their application results.
    Their taxes will contribute to our economy rather than cost us.

We shouldn't forget that we are an island of emigrants and asylum seekers ourselves. When we went to Australia, UK and the USA there was significant pushback from allowing us in, worse than what is happening in Ireland now. Thankfully we were granted permission to enter and ended up contributing significantly to their societies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

We shouldn't forget that we are an island of emigrants and asylum seekers ourselves.
    Ah this old gem again... It's been said already by many, this isn't the 1600s, 1890's, or even the 60's.

Going forward the only people likely to find any secure work in the global 'gig-economy' of the '4th industrial reveloution' will be the most very highly educated, and only the highest skilled.
    Just take a look at retail, warehousing and even call-centres if you're unsure of this.

The most at risk of redundancy (50% by 2030s) will actually be young males with only basic literacy and education. Welfare (UBI) will be their only likely option, (funded by tax payers, in one of the EU's most generous welfare systems).

Ire will also be in the direct firing line with the issues around brexit (estimated 100,000 job losses), increasing EU contributions, and then the even larger issue of CTax harmonisation - which could be a proper wrecking ball.

Help them by all means if you want (ideally at source), but it's difficult to view support as anything else than charity. Nothing wrong with charity at all, within the context of a resonable sensible approach and in the interest of the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Blueshoe wrote: »
    He states that European population levels are dropping. Not having enough children for the next generation of tax payers. We won't be able to fund our public services or pay pensions.
    Africas population is booming. We want those people here. We need them. It is inevitable.

Direct provision etc means nothing in the grand scheme. There will be an explosion of immigration into Europe from Africa whether people like it or not.

If it didn't cost an absolute fortune to have kids maybe. Or need two incomes to pay a mortage or pay rent.
    Thick cnuts in politics

Ah this old gem again... It's been said already by many, this isn't the 1600s, 1890's, or even the 60's.

Going forward the only people likely to find any secure work in the global 'gig-economy' of the '4th industrial reveloution' will be the most very highly educated, and only the highest skilled.
    Just take a look at retail, warehousing and even call-centres if you're unsure of this.

The most at risk of redundancy (50% by 2030s) will actually be young males with only basic literacy and education. Welfare (UBI) will be their only likely option, (funded by tax payers, in one of the EU's most generous welfare systems).

Ire will also be in the direct firing line with the issues around brexit (estimated 100,000 job losses), increasing EU contributions, and then the even larger issue of CTax harmonisation - which could be a proper wrecking ball.

Help them by all means if you want (ideally at source), but it's difficult to view support as anything else than charity. Nothing wrong with charity at all, within the context of a resonable sensible approach and in the interest of the greater good.

Irish emigration didnt stop in the 60's.
    Your fear of the next industrial revolution is common and understandable. There will be flux of jobs, but the past has shown us that overall, the net benefit is that we will be better off.
    For example, in the Steam revolution, the Luddites feared the change that it brought. Overall, the revolution brought us a higher quality of living: average lifespans increased, health improved and paradoxically, poverty decreased.

Back to the main topic about asylum seekers and their cost to our economy. I agree, morally, we should help them at the source. Most people prefer to stay where they are born if their living conditions are good. Unfortunately, war, famine and persecution force many legitimate asylum seekers to come here. For example, as Europeans, we tried to help the Syrians and Libyans through politacal and military means. But we failed. So here we are.

We should let our asylum seekers process determine the legitimate asylum seekers and let them stay. It benefits us, just like other countries benefited from Irish emigration.
    It costs a society to raise a child to working age and later, for them to retire. Society gets a return on value when the person is of working age. This results in an overall net benefit. Most immigrants are of working age. If we can get immigrants of working age before retirement, we get an even bigger net increase. So let them work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

We should let our asylum seekers process determine the legitimate asylum seekers and let them stay. It benefits us, just like other countries benefited from Irish emigration.
    It costs a society to raise a child to working age and later, for them to retire. Society gets a return on value when the person is of working age. This results in an overall net benefit. Most immigrants are of working age. If we can get immigrants of working age before retirement, we get an even bigger net increase. So let them work.
    The problem is that we have a deeply flawed asylum process in Ireland. After the Pamela Izevbekhai case, in which it cost the Irish tax payers over €1 Million to get her deported back to Nigeria, the default action of the Irish asylum process is to allow multiple appeals, which almost always ends in them being granted leave to remain.

And of course the major difference between Irish emigration and the current influx of non-EU economic migrants is that the Irish will not benefit from a social welfare and free housing safety net provided by the tax payers of their host country.

We would love for migrants to work and contribute, but when you hear the staggering statistic that 60% of African adults in Ireland are unemployed, then it begs far deeper questions on why this is happening e.g. they have no need to work due to the very generous welfare state that exists in this country.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    The problem is that we have a deeply flawed asylum process in Ireland. After the Pamela Izevbekhai case, in which it cost the Irish tax payers over €1 Million to get her deported back to Nigeria, the default action of the Irish asylum process is to allow multiple appeals, which almost always ends in them being granted leave to remain.

And of course the major difference between Irish emigration and the current influx of non-EU economic migrants is that the Irish will not benefit from a social welfare and free housing safety net provided by the tax payers of their host country.

We would love for migrants to work and contribute, but when you hear the staggering statistic that 60% of African adults in Ireland are unemployed, then it begs far deeper questions on why this is happening e.g. they have no need to work due to the very generous welfare state that exists in this country.

I doubt every asylum application costs 1 million. With any service there will be exceptions. To play devils advocate, lets say the process is flawed: surely the logical reaction should be to attempt to fix the process, not to kill it and deport legitimate applicants.

Irish migrants have the safety net of being able to return home again. This is not the case of legitimate asylum seekers.

I am interested in your last statistic. Would you have a source? -I am wondering if it discounts adult Africans that are here, but are not allowed to work. Because if it doesn't discount this, then it is unfair to use it in a debate whether Asylum seekers wish to work or not.

Advertisement