Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good secondary school for boy with autism

Options
  • 11-08-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a good secondary school for a 12 year old boy with high functioning autism.
    Is there much difference between a fee paying and non fee paying school?
    I'm worried about him being bullied or not not getting the attention he needs.
    Does anyone have any experience of Oatlands college or CBC monkstown?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

No experience of it, but I know Clonkeen College has a Moderate General Learning Disabilities set up, see here for further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You would be better advised speaking with AsIAm, Irish Society for Autism or Irish Autism Action to get dedicated feedback on the experience with schools. Some will have genuinely good programmes, some will have good intentions but ineffective action and some will do everything to discourage your child. Anecdotal anonymous feedback will not deliver any value to your child.

Being Ireland a third world country...i found a school that is useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Oatlands College in Stillorgan was good enough. Though the disability was aspergers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Is he too high functioning for St Augustine's in Blackrock?

Newpark could be a good fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

todolist wrote: »
    Being Ireland a third world country...i found a school that is useless.

What does this mean?! :confused:

frash wrote: »
    Is he too high functioning for St Augustine's in Blackrock?

Newpark could be a good fit

NO!. Trust me on this, I've been to both Newpark and Oatlands for secondary schools (used to live near Blackrock so funnily enough St Augustine is just on Stillorgan Park Rd, Newpark is near Cronins Centra/Texaco and Oatlands is near Stillorgan Shopping Centre.

Anyway, I had to move from Newpark due to bullying. Most students are sound but if you stick out like a sore thumb, you will be bullied and I found the response inadequate.

Mango Joe wrote: »

I think the statement is a testament to whatever ****e school he went to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ballinteer community school. My lad settled in well there

• Advertisement

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Excuse my cynicism, just most things in Ireland are third rate.Health service.Childcare.Transport ....RTE .

Advertisement