Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of VHS tapes

Options
  • 11-08-2019 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

My parents have a collection of VHS tapes (used to record Coronation Street etc) so they don't have any value and I was wondering does anyone know where I can either recycle them or how to correctly dispose of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bin. Or the guy who does the killianm2 archive if they're older Irish recordings - it's the ads he'd be interested in mainly.

Due to mixed plastics and metals they are not easily recyclable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Parts of the cassette are reusable/recyclable but it depends on how much effort you want to put in disassembling them and reusing or disposing of them properly. Tape itself is only good for landfill.

There's a few YT vids on VHs tape recycling which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Personally I'd just bin them. Many people did a long time ago.
    But if you are keen on recycling / another use for them put an ad on adverts in the free section.

That said... you'd get people asking you to drive them over to someone and they'd only probably want one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There is a user on Adverts.ie who looks for VHS tapes for taping onto. Maybe look their ad up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bohs71

done4now wrote: »
    My parents have a collection of VHS tapes (used to record Coronation Street etc) so they don't have any value and I was wondering does anyone know where I can either recycle them or how to correctly dispose of them?

Hi, Where are you based? If you are somewhere near Dublin/Meath/Kildare I'll take these and collect them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 judy7340

Hello, I have found a lot of VHS tapes in my mother's house, in County Donegal (south Donegal, by the sea), and I am wondering is there any way of recycling them, and if so, how? Thank you in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Personally I'd just bin them. Many people did a long time ago.
    But if you are keen on recycling / another use for them put an ad on adverts in the free section.

That said... you'd get people asking you to drive them over to someone and they'd only probably want one :pac:

If someone asked me to drive the tapes over to them they'd be taking the lot of them whether they decided they wanted them or not. I'd be dumping them into their garden if they decided they only wanted this one and that one. Neck of them.

Advertisement