Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are cooking apples ready to pick now?

Options
  • 11-08-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I've an orchard (have moved into the house only in the last few months so no prior experience). Apples are cooking apples. They look ripe enough. Is now the right time to pick them? Should I shake the branches to get them off the tops of the trees? Or is that bad for the trees? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Most apples are not fully ripe yet, especially cookers. The test is to gently twist them with your hand - if it comes off easily it's ready. If you shake the branches you might get plenty of apples on the ground and they will all be damaged - not a problem if you intend to use them straight away but they won't store at all and would rot within weeks. I'd wait for at least a few weeks - some apples will fall anyway, especially after strong winds and you can use those.
    If you want to store the other apples later there are plenty of tips on youtube etc.
    I prefer to stew/cook them first and freeze them. Can be a bit of work but you're guaranteed apples for months and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A month or so more needed with mine. The wind brought a few down this week but they're not ripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Thanks to you both. I'll leave them another few weeks so. And I'll follow YouTube advice on how to freeze them. There are so many I'm hoping to give away a lot too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be interested to hear how freezing them goes, i would have assumed they'd turn to mush when defrosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

would be interested to hear how freezing them goes, i would have assumed they'd turn to mush when defrosted.
    Apologies -yes, they do.
    I should have said that I peel and cook them first and then freeze the stewed apples. I know someone who blanches segments and freezes them but they are only useful for tarts, pies etc when defrosted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We always stew a stone or so of apples. Fill tubs and bags, pop in the freezer and have stewed apples for custard etc all winter. A dozen apple tarts get thrown in the spare freezer at the same time.
    I keep a box of apples in the garage for feeding the birds in winter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

give em a month...gonna be a bumper crop for me cookers & eaters

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've two eaters, one is still about a month off, but just started munching fruit from the other this week. Also got a bunch of windfalls, so time to get the cider press out of the shed.

Advertisement