Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Meself wrote: »
    Folks.. has anyone on here taken a campervan to the festival. Did you rent here and take it over on boat or rent over there ?

Any recommendations for hire places here ? PM if so

Thanks
    Have done both renting here (CraicNCampers in Roscommon) and renting there (The Motorhome Holiday Company between Bristol and Weston-Super-Mare) and we're doing the latter again next year.

CralcNCampers van was very extremely outdated (maybe we were unlucky) plus with ferry times, you might be stuck driving back past their office outside of opening hours so you'll need to drive back the next day to drop it off.

The Motorhome Holiday Company picked us up (and dropped us back) from airport, let us leave bags with them while we loaded up camper, gave us full spare water canisters, bedding etc. They were incredible. Even put the deposit down when we got dropped off to airport earlier this year for 2020.

Also done Worthy View and Tangerine Fields - prefer the former (even with the "Hill of Death" up past Pennards). You're nearer in TF though (unless they've moved it).

Any other questions, just ask!
    Alkers wrote: »
    ..head in for the day, back late afternoon for an hour or two for a top-up and warm clothes then back out for the night.
    That's what the lockups are for! ;)
    scary wrote: »
    Wife wants to try worthy view as this will probably be her last Glasto. I know the hill :) its not to bad...
    Ah, "The Hill" is really only bad when wet. You've stairs up it on the right hand side ahe very least!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Basq wrote: »
    Folks.. has anyone on here taken a campervan to the festival. Did you rent here and take it over on boat or rent over there ?

Any recommendations for hire places here ? PM if so

Thanks
    Have done both renting here (CraicNCampers in Roscommon) and renting there (The Motorhome Holiday Company between Bristol and Weston-Super-Mare) and we're doing the latter again next year.

CralcNCampers van was very extremely outdated (maybe we were unlucky) plus with ferry times, you might be stuck driving back past their office outside of opening hours so you'll need to drive back the next day to drop it off.

The Motorhome Holiday Company picked us up (and dropped us back) from airport, let us leave bags with them while we loaded up camper, gave us full spare water canisters, bedding etc. They were incredible. Even put the deposit down when we got dropped off to airport earlier this year for 2020.

Also done Worthy View and Tangerine Fields - prefer the former (even with the "Hill of Death" up past Pennards). You're nearer in TF though (unless they've moved it).

Any other questions, just ask!
    ..head in for the day, back late afternoon for an hour or two for a top-up and warm clothes then back out for the night.
    That's what the lockups are for! ;)
    scary wrote: »
    Wife wants to try worthy view as this will probably be her last Glasto. I know the hill :) its not to bad...
    Ah, "The Hill" is really only bad when wet. You've stairs up it on the right hand side ahe very least!

Nice one mate. Thanks a mill for that. I must have a look at that company in UK.

Last time I was at Glastonbury was 2004. Lashed down all weekend... tent was destroyed.

As the bones begin to creek I'm def going with campervan. Myself an herself fairly fit so the walk/hill doesnt bother us.... Might do if we're sideways, mind 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That sounds unreal Basq. I just put down a deposit for a camper. See you on the flight :p

Is it difficult to get camper van tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nice one mate. Thanks a mill for that. I must have a look at that company in UK.

Last time I was at Glastonbury was 2004. Lashed down all weekend... tent was destroyed.

As the bones begin to creek I'm def going with campervan. Myself an herself fairly fit so the walk/hill doesnt bother us.... Might do if we're sideways, mind ��

Just for reference, the walk from the southeast corner (where all the late-night activity is) back to campervans west is up to 90minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just for reference, the walk from the southeast corner (where all the late-night activity is) back to campervans west is up to 90minutes!

The walk from The Park to E17 (If you're unlucky enough to get put in E17) is about an hour. Maybe more. Thats a 2 hour round trip if you need to get back.

On the flipside, the walk from a tent in Michaels Mead is 4-5 minutes from the Pyramid stage, 15 from the Park.

A campervan is really not worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Unless you're old and have a bad back or some other problem that means you need a real bed and a jacks that isn't half a mile away. Thats why a lot of older people do it, most people who are 50+ can't hack tenting for 5 days.

The Nal wrote: »
    The walk from The Park to E17 (If you're unlucky enough to get put in E17) is about an hour. Maybe more. Thats a 2 hour round trip if you need to get back.

On the flipside, the walk from a tent in Michaels Mead is 4-5 minutes from the Pyramid stage, 15 from the Park.

A campervan is really not worth it in my opinion.

I'm not calling you a liar but it looks like it's about a 2km walk from the furthest point to the center on this map.

https://cdn.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Webmap-2019-v4-1.jpg

Is that map wrong in some way?
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Unless you're old and have a bad back or some other problem that means you need a real bed and a jacks that isn't half a mile away. Thats why a lot of older people do it, most people who are 50+ can't hack tenting for 5 days.

Driving in with all your stuff is the biggest plus for me. This will be the first festival that I've ever done with a camper van. My friends did it recently at All Together Now. Sounds like there is even more walking at this one. I really don't like the idea of trekking all that gear through an airport too.

If you pack properly treking through the airport and bus stops etc is fine. I'll always tent it I think. I could never face having to drive home after that.

• Advertisement

Is it difficult to get camper van tickets?
    They sell out quicker each year but you'd be unlikely to not get one if you're on the ball at end of month when they go on sale. Treat their sale like last Sunday morning as well basically.

You may not get first choice (East Vs West) but you should manage to get one.

I'm guessing East is more desirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I'm not calling you a liar but it looks like it's about a 2km walk from the furthest point to the center on this map.

https://cdn.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Webmap-2019-v4-1.jpg

Is that map wrong in some way?

Driving in with all your stuff is the biggest plus for me. This will be the first festival that I've ever done with a camper van. My friends did it recently at All Together Now. Sounds like there is even more walking at this one. I really don't like the idea of trekking all that gear through an airport too.

The scale is probably fine, though I'd be very surprised if the walk from any of the edges to the centre was 2km only. I stayed in Rig's Field beside South Park last time and the walk to the Pryamid was approximately 40 mins.

Bear in mind that you rarely walk as the crow flies and there are also obstacles in the way, including slow moving people. I walked on average 26km a day there last time, 130 km over five days and then more on the Monday getting out. The shower and bed that evening was wildly appreciated.

Yeah, pretty much I think.

Have done East the last two years. Unless you're there when gates open, you'll be inevitably a fair bit back.

Expect a 15 minute walk (minimum) before you get through to T&C.

T&C?

T&C?
    Sorry, Theatre & Circus. Pretty much the first area you'll enter as you walk from CV East after bag checks etc.

Campervans east alone is about a km wide on that map, before you even reach the exit of the campervan field. Then you can't just walk in a a straight line to where your going, the paths criss cross about the place with the exception of the railroad but even that is so congested you can't just walk at your own pace - think Grafton Street at Christmas. The 90 minutes I mentioned is pretty much a full width of the site at the end of a full day of revelling but it's not exaggerated! I didn't have my phone on me at all times but I clocked up 90km over the five days also.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

As the bones begin to creek I'm def going with campervan. Myself an herself fairly fit so the walk/hill doesnt bother us.... Might do if we're sideways, mind ��

Yeh I'm going to aim for East CV site.

Just got some quotes for campervans in uk- Bristol or near to - mad prices £1800!! Will keep looking

Its likely it will be Thursday morning when we get to site so I'm assuming we will be in the worst/farthest from the gates.

Depends where you're planning on spending most time at, west is nearer to the main stage and it's also a lot smaller than east. We stayed there last year and it was fine but east is more popular.

Yeh I'm going to aim for East CV site.

Just got some quotes for campervans in uk- Bristol or near to - mad prices £1800!! Will keep looking

Its likely it will be Thursday morning when we get to site so I'm assuming we will be in the worst/farthest from the gates.

How much did you think it would cost?

How much did you pay last year Basq?

• Advertisement

We have our first announcement - Diana Ross for Legends Slot.

Surprised by that! Amazing booking though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, that's the quickest I've ever heard Glasto confirming something. I mean we've seen some acts "self confirm" before and there are certain acts we assume are gonna play - like Foo Fighters after their cancellation and Paul McCartney.

But this is the earliest I've seen a confirmation.... I reckon we will hear a lot of early confirmations this year. 2 of the headliners before Christmas at least and a few non-headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd imagine Taylor Swift will be confirmed before Xmas, given that she's already announced loads of other festivals already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

She was heavily rumoured for 2016 & 2017. Glad it's finally happening, an excellent booking. And can we have Nile Rodgers up on stage with her please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Surprised by that! Amazing booking though

Does she actually sing live anymore ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Does she actually sing live anymore ?

Yep still has the pipes.

She doesn’t like flying apparently. I wonder how they talked her into it? I doubt they’re paying her millions and she hardly needs the exposure at this stage of her career.

She doesn’t like flying apparently. I wonder how they talked her into it? I doubt they’re paying her millions and she hardly needs the exposure at this stage of her career.

Shes mates with Lionel Richie. His legends gig did a lot for his legacy. Assume shes after the same. But why wouldn't you want to play it? Biggest gig she'll ever do.

• Advertisement

How much did you think it would cost?

How much did you pay last year Basq?
    Sorry, missed this earlier.

Yeah, you're not going to get anything very cheap realistically. You're renting peak season and in a region where supply far outstrips demand of campervans. You're also paying for convenience to a degree.

What size CV are you looking for? The very modern 6 berth we picked up last year over there was £2000 (€2310.00 including deposit). Divide it by 6 people and it's under €400 and worth every penny. You'll pay similar prices for a pitched tent in the likes of Worthy View etc.

The CV we picked up from Roscommon the previous year was 6 berth also, but not nearly as modern, smaller etc. And that was roughly €1350, but more driving and hassle IMO. Plus ferry was double the cost of the flights etc.

For that money last year, we got picked up from Bristol Airport and dropped back. They gave us a full tank of water and 2 spare full canisters - 6 people having showers pretty much every day and we managed with just topping up once. They were excellent - took our cooler box and beer order we posted so loaded up the van. Held onto our suitcases while we packed up clothes into the van.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on who you go with but you're not gonna go to Glastonbury on the cheap!

Advertisement