Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Basq wrote: »
    Meself wrote: »
    Just got some quotes for campervans in uk- Bristol or near to - mad prices £1800!! Will keep looking
    How much did you think it would cost?

How much did you pay last year Basq?
    Sorry, missed this earlier.

Yeah, you're not going to get anything very cheap realistically. You're renting peak season and in a region where supply far outstrips demand of campervans. You're also paying for convenience to a degree.

What size CV are you looking for? The very modern 6 berth we picked up last year over there was £2000 (€2310.00 including deposit). Divide it by 6 people and it's under €400 and worth every penny. You'll pay similar prices for a pitched tent in the likes of Worthy View etc.

The CV we picked up from Roscommon the previous year was 6 berth also, but not nearly as modern, smaller etc. And that was roughly €1350, but more driving and hassle IMO. Plus ferry was double the cost of the flights etc.

For that money last year, we got picked up from Bristol Airport and dropped back. They gave us a full tank of water and 2 spare full canisters - 6 people having showers pretty much every day and we managed with just topping up once. They were excellent - took our cooler box and beer order we posted so loaded up the van. Held onto our suitcases while we packed up clothes into the van.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on who you go with but you're not gonna go to Glastonbury on the cheap!

Yeh fair point. That's a good service.

Was a bit taken aback by the price. Only 2 of us going..possibly 4 but not confirmed yet ...

Might just go with hiring here and boat over/back. I'm in Dublin so few places to choose from etc. Will have to sit down and weigh up both options.

Is it June yet : )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Show yer missus how much it’s gonna cost and maybe a tent will look more attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

A decent 4-6 man tunnel tent and an airbed really isn't all that bad and can be gotten for 100-150e from the likes of go outdoors or millets. If you pick a less popular field such as bushy ground, rivermead, pylon etc you also have compost toilets close by which if you head for early after been cleaned aren't a bad experience at all. the fields don't feel that cramped at all even after Thursday. Bit of a walk to the SEC but the other stage and pyramid are roughly only 5 10 mins away. Much better than campervan areas at a fraction of the cost. Definitely worth a thought before 2k+ is spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

IgsTer wrote: »
    A decent 4-6 man tunnel tent and an airbed really isn't all that bad and can be gotten for 100-150e from the likes of go outdoors or millets. If you pick a less popular field such as bushy ground, rivermead, pylon etc you also have compost toilets close by which if you head for early after been cleaned aren't a bad experience at all. the fields don't feel that cramped at all even after Thursday. Bit of a walk to the SEC but the other stage and pyramid are roughly only 5 10 mins away. Much better than campervan areas at a fraction of the cost. Definitely worth a thought before 2k+ is spent.

Why is that field so unpopular? Simply people avoiding the pylon line? I camped there in 2013 and it was excellent - plenty of space and close to the Silver Hayes/Other Stage/John Peel. Would happily head there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Why is that field so unpopular? Simply people avoiding the pylon line? I camped there in 2013 and it was excellent - plenty of space and close to the Silver Hayes/Other Stage/John Peel. Would happily head there again.

Although I mentioned It last it's actually where we stayed in 2017 last time we were over and it's where we're planning on staying again next year. It does seem to get a bad rep of not being in the centre of things and mainly being very far from the south east corner but it's also very close to a lot of the areas you mentioned. We were actually camped quite close nearly underneath the lines but very rarely heard any buzzing or humming from them over head. Even come the weekend there was still plenty of space directly around our tent and in the field and didn't have any hassle getting to and from it even in the darkness.

• Advertisement

It’s the guts of an hour from the south east back to pylon at 8 o clock I’m the morning after being on it all night, gluck to that!

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s the guts of an hour from the south east back to pylon at 8 o clock I’m the morning after being on it all night, gluck to that!

Would usually only do the SE corner one night. Queues in are a pain. Plenty to do elsewhere - Arcadia, Gully/Blues Bar, Rabbit Hole/Crow's Nest, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin ruled out by Emily at a talk tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin ruled out by Emily at a talk tonight.
    Ah well.. the rumours were fun while they lasted.

Thinking Macca and Taylor Swift are probably more likely now. Maybe The 1975 also. I'll be there for just the one of them.

Bon Iver might finally do T'Other.. although I'll be in London for them next April, I'll still go see them.

Led Zep were obviously never in the running but I’m surprised to see Mac ruled out.

• Advertisement

Friday: The 1975
    Saturday: Elton John
    Sunday: Taylor Swift

is my guess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Led Zeppelin ruled out by Emily at a talk tonight.

:D

Yep looks on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mine too. Huge meh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

What about Queen + Adam Lambert?

That's really underwhelming. Headlining acts of Glastonbury always seem a bit bland though.

What about Queen + Adam Lambert?

Playing elsewhere that weekend.

Basq wrote: »
    Ah well.. the rumours were fun while they lasted.

Thinking Macca and Taylor Swift are probably more likely now. Maybe The 1975 also. I'll be there for just the one of them.

Bon Iver might finally do T'Other.. although I'll be in London for them next April, I'll still go see them.

I'd say pretty certain. Bookies are convinced anyway.

And don't forget The Kinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Thom Yorke is touring round then and doesn't have anything scheduled in for Glasto weekend so here's hoping (obvs not a mainstage headliner - he's too good for that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Green Day have the Sunday off too,
    Rumoured they’ll be in there too

• Advertisement

fillup wrote: »
    Thom Yorke is touring round then and doesn't have anything scheduled in for Glasto weekend so here's hoping (obvs not a mainstage headliner - he's too good for that!)

Could be that he just wants to attend the festival like he does every year but I’d say there’s a good chance he’ll headline the west holts stage.

Elton is OUT

playing in Dallas on the Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Elton is OUT

playing in Dallas on the Friday and Saturday.

Elton was out a long time ago darling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,562 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

2 of the Glastonbury pyramid headliners have not done the festival before - Emily Eavis

and one headliner still to be booked.

The Other stage headliners are bigger than usual, all could be headliners outright apparently.

Spice Girls not playing.

Taylor Swift presumably one of the booked headliners, maybe Kendrick Lamar?

Foals and The 1975 for Other headliners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

and one headliner still to be booked.

The Other stage headliners are bigger than usual, all could be headliners outright apparently.

Spice Girls not playing.

Taylor Swift presumably one of the booked headliners, maybe Kendrick Lamar?

Foals and The 1975 for Other headliners?

One still to be booked has Macca written all over it, he said in September he was starting to think about playing it.

Poorside wrote: »
    One still to be booked has Macca written all over it, he said in September he was starting to think about playing it.

Rage Against the Machine a possibility for headlining the Other Stage?

And I remain hopeful for The Kinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Rage Against the Machine a possibility for headlining the Other Stage?

And I remain hopeful for The Kinks.

Can easily see RATM headlong the Other stage on the Saturday, the Kinks on Sunday afternoon would be brilliant.

Poorside wrote: »
    Can easily see RATM headlong the Other stage on the Saturday, the Kinks on Sunday afternoon would be brilliant.

Slot already taken by Diana Ross. But could they follow her, nice early evening slot? To be fair they could do any slot. I'm probably deluding myself that it'll happen.

• Advertisement

Advertisement