Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'd say about 10% chance of this going ahead, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I'd say about 10% chance of this going ahead, unfortunately

where is this coming from haha

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just guarantee that those with tickets this year have the option of guaranteed tickets next year.
    A few in our group mentioned this the other day if is cancelled..

.. but I can't see this happening.

where is this coming from haha

Well for instance, today England's chief medical officer has said there was a “slim to zero” chance of avoiding a global pandemic, which could see “huge pressure” on the NHS, making it impossible for all who need beds to get them.

In this scenario all major gatherings of people will be banned, I think it's inevitable. Government won't be able to say "Yes there's so many people ill we don't have enough beds but keep going on like normal anyway".

Just to note I do think people are panicking too much and I have 3 concerts booked for summer, plus a trip to the soccer euros & a couple other flights, so I really don't want to see this but like I say it looks inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Glastonbury regular Mik Artistik is playing Dublin and Galway this weekend:
    https://www.mikartistik.com/live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well for instance, today England's chief medical officer has said there was a “slim to zero” chance of avoiding a global pandemic, which could see “huge pressure” on the NHS, making it impossible for all who need beds to get them.

In this scenario all major gatherings of people will be banned, I think it's inevitable. Government won't be able to say "Yes there's so many people ill we don't have enough beds but keep going on like normal anyway".

Just to note I do think people are panicking too much and I have 3 concerts booked for summer, plus a trip to the soccer euros & a couple other flights, so I really don't want to see this but like I say it looks inevitable.

Load of nonsense speculation to be honest. It's just too early to tell.

I guess you missed out on a ticket and are trying to get a few back onto the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think we'll have to hear within the next two weeks. I have my fears.

My main concern would be simply that many of the proposed (unannounced) acts will simply decide not to tour which would leave many many holes in the schedule. As opposed to the Eaves' deciding to cancel it due to fears of crowd spreading the virus. I mean even if they decided to go ahead, if 20% of the acts pull out then what? It's not what they would want for the 50th. I'd say they may cancel and have the 50th next year (If you know what I mean, make a little joke about the belated 50th).

I mean, again, HOPING for the best but.........

No way they will cancel unless forced to do so by the authorities. They've come under immense pressure from all corners to pull the plug in the past and never have. I don't think acts dropping out will make a difference. A festival with 80% of the planned lineup is better than no festival, especially for the 50th. There's a lot of UK acts that could be got at very short notice and it's not as if the festival is financially vulnerable. At the moment I'm still optimistic but that may change as things progress. I think we will hear one way or the other before balance payment week anyway and until then I expect silence unless the situation in the UK really goes pear shaped.

MadYaker wrote: »

I guess you missed out on a ticket and are trying to get a few back onto the pot?

:pac: I'm otherwise engaged that week so can't go.

Looking forward to it on tv if it goes ahead though.

3rlhkz.jpg

..... Wait, did I say that out loud?

• Advertisement

No way they will cancel unless forced to do so by the authorities. They've come under immense pressure from all corners to pull the plug in the past and never have. I don't think acts dropping out will make a difference. A festival with 80% of the planned lineup is better than no festival, especially for the 50th. There's a lot of UK acts that could be got at very short notice and it's not as if the festival is financially vulnerable. At the moment I'm still optimistic but that may change as things progress. I think we will hear one way or the other before balance payment week anyway and until then I expect silence unless the situation in the UK really goes pear shaped.

What pressure did they come under in the past?

If I had to bet, I would say my first trip to Glastonbury will be cut tragically short.

What pressure did they come under in the past?

If I had to bet, I would say my first trip to Glastonbury will be cut tragically short.

You should read the book its nuts. I think when 5 people were shot in a drug deal gone bad in the late 80s they came closest to cancelling. 2016 with the mud was apparently a close call too.

You should read the book its nuts. I think when 5 people were shot in a drug deal gone bad in the late 80s they came closest to cancelling. 2016 with the mud was apparently a close call too.

Is it this book?

Yeah thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

Was it really? I didn't realise that. It was certainly a challenging weekend in terms of bootin' about.

Apparently on wednesday morning they had a meeting with all the head honchos and some were adamant it must be called off but eavis put his foot down and said no fcuking way, I can't remember exactly I half read the book over xmas.

rubick wrote: »
    Was it really? I didn't realise that. It was certainly a challenging weekend in terms of bootin' about.

I remember it being bad but not cancelling it bad. I don't remember much news about tents/flooding etc. (Mind you, I normally camp near the bus carpark, uphill)

I mean I remember the days being pretty miserable but the evenings were pretty OK apart from Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

1994 shooting, and the festival continued. Had forgotten about that, not what you associate with Glasto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

I should probably have a go at that book we bought in the hope of bagging a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Weepsie wrote: »
    Twice. Got the train both times. Bit crammed but feck all waiting once on board and busses from station to entrance of campsite then.

Nice city too to chill out in afterwards, though not as nice as Bath which a smart friend did for a few days to unwind

Hi, just wondering what the train details are for this, as looking into either bus or train from Bristol also? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi, just wondering what the train details are for this, as looking into either bus or train from Bristol also? Cheers.

Shuttle buses from Bristol. They leave when full both ways and there are a dozen waiting outside the site on Monday morning. The simplest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Shuttle buses from Bristol. They leave when full both ways and there are a dozen waiting outside the site on Monday morning. The simplest way.

Thanks, are these the National Express buses or where do you book these? Just thought the train would be a bit more comfy!

Thanks, are these the National Express buses or where do you book these? Just thought the train would be a bit more comfy!

Castle Cary train station is a 10.3 mile walk to the festival, or a very slow shuttle bus. Don't bother.

The coaches will be from a variety of companies, including NE as the official partner. They drop you at the entrance. Glastonbury site will have details.

National Express are probably best. You can specify the festival as a destination when booking on their site.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

National Express are probably best. You can specify the festival as a destination when booking on their site.

Dont do like I did and get the bus to glastonbury town, which is about 4 miles from the festival site!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could be the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Poster just dropped on Twitter.

It's very very good.

FINAL-LINEAR-953-27-a-27.png

ES7j-ryXYAE19OY?format=jpg

• Advertisement

no Aerosmith is a strange one :confused: